Bladedancer is the most underpowered thing ever (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 05:02 (3446 days ago)

…in PvE. (In this case 24 vs 24.)

THAT’S Right. I Said it. IT. SUCKS.

Titan – Fist of Havok – Automatic Lunge + AOE. Dead. In the event of still not dead - SMASH IT IN THE FACE with your Titan Armor.

Titan – Ward of Dawn – It’s like Sunslinger but with more “not dieing” first. Or grenades. You can hit things in the face more. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED TO KNOE!!1!

Warlock – Sunslinger(I know its singer… but it’s… like… wrong) - Get up close and hit things in face. Die because you aren't a titan. Comeback from dead because you arn't a titan. Nadespam and create Orbs of Light because you aren't a titan. Praise the sun.

Warlock – Nova Bomb – KA-CEWW! BOOOSH! So much Dead. Warlocks 4 lyfe.

Hunter – Golden gun – Its like a sniper, but from Halo 2. Dead. In the event of not dead – it’s ok. You aren't exposed.

Then

Hunter – Blade Dancer – Start your super which begins to drain. You run towards your target then lunge. If it dies – that’s cool! If it doesn't – and it won’t - do it again. Oh my super is still draining.

Super is now fully drained – I killed one, and halved the health of another. I’m now standing in the middle of a swarm.
Who dies?

;_;

This happens more than it should. Out of all the supers, when bladedancer fails – it fails amazingly.

Bladedancer is the most underpowered thing ever

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 05:49 (3446 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Razor's Edge - No need to get in their face to kill them.

by Durandal, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 05:55 (3446 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Lets not forget that you can run out of charges with blade dancer even with time left on the clock, so you are in the middle of your enemies but cannot use a gun, grenade and your super wont fire.

Also, you can be killed by a single shotgun blast at any time; Or a Titan doing their super on you as soon as they see you pop out in blade dancer mode and kill their buddy in front of you.

Or warlocks just boost into the air and laugh.

On the plus side blade dancers can wipe out more trash mobs then any other class.

Also, the exotic helmet bonus really doesn't seem to add anything to the timer.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:07 (3446 days ago) @ Durandal

Also, you can be killed by a single shotgun blast at any time;

I have never, ever found that to be true. Even at point blank, they seem to be left with about 1/5th of their health.

Or warlocks just boost into the air and laugh.

I imagine this could work, but it's never had much success for me. You have to come back to earth eventually. I just take solace in the fact that they've usually wasted a good few swings just getting to me, so they might only get the one kill.

by Durandal, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:36 (3446 days ago) @ someotherguy

I've been taken out by a single point blank shotgun as I was in the stabbing animation. I've also been taken out by a full clip from an autorifle. Mostly when I pop the blades a Titan will just do his super and take me out or I run around chasing people uselessly.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:44 (3446 days ago) @ Durandal

If I know there's a Bladedancer running around I do tend to save my Hulk Smash for him, just in case. Super satisfying satisfying shutting down a Bladedancer (or Gunslinger/Sunsinger) Super before they get a cvhance to use it.

by Numinar @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 09:34 (3446 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Both the Gunslinger and Bladedancer ults seem a bit weak in PvE. Blade Dancer especially with all the one hit melee all the enemies seem to get at higher difficulty levels.

But what they lack in practicality/effectiveness they make up for in being super freakin' cool to pull off!

The other abilities are pretty cool though. Also Capes. Also PvP.

Also you can jump the Hellmouth with it. Whatcha gunna do when you are hovering over the abyss, bubble boy Titan?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:01 (3446 days ago) @ Numinar
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:04

Both the Gunslinger and Bladedancer ults seem a bit weak in PvE.

That's funny, because Gunslinger is by far the best super for use in the portals during the Atheon fight :-)

by Numinar @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:03 (3446 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh good, I won't be completely useless! I'm not cool enough to have much of an idea of what you just said yet but it sounds good for Hunters! I was worried this would be WoW Rogues circa 2006 all over again.

My group made it inside on the one night I wasn't online, hopefully I'll wreck that raid sometime soon!

people just don't know how to use hunters...

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 09:45 (3446 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

A hunter's defense is its agility. I have been fairly sucsessful in pve with blade dancer, even on bosses! The trick is the double jump ability, the directional control upgrade makes for a target that can be too fast to hit. The ability to fly in at say the archon priest, do damage with the slice, then jump away only to slice again all while above and away from the bosses' stomp aoe attack is something scary in how beautiful it is. Or is it so beautiful its scary?

The point is speed HAS to be your tool if you want to dance with blades

people just don't know how to use hunters...

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 10:01 (3446 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Agreed, you need to spec for max agility to blade dance like a pro. I have found that in the harder strikes, gunslinger is safer, if not more effective, mainly because it takes several blade dancer strikes to kill a single major or ultra. Against hordes of mobs, however, bladedancer is great for dispatching several enemies very, very quickly. It's more crowd control than boss-killer.

*Hearty Laugh*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 10:12 (3446 days ago) @ Axelrod vK
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 10:17

A hunter's defense is its agility. I have been fairly sucsessful in pve with blade dancer, even on bosses! The trick is the double jump ability, the directional control upgrade makes for a target that can be too fast to hit. The ability to fly in at say the archon priest, do damage with the slice, then jump away only to slice again all while above and away from the bosses' stomp aoe attack is something scary in how beautiful it is. Or is it so beautiful its scary?

The point is speed HAS to be your tool if you want to dance with blades

[image]

My Hunter IS the Speed - after all, that is the point of the Hunter. When I do a super- its because I need to take out a mass of enemies. When I start my super - I don't have time, even with all its speed, to go on defense. When I super - I mean to kill, much like a ninja* with its blade unsheathed.

[image]

It is very unsatisfying when this doesn't happen - and I die as a result. Again and again.

*Technically it would be a samurai - details.

Edit: OH! and the transition from super to finished is jarring too. There is a subtle pause where the hunter goes-*OH shi *-where then I resume my bounding tactics.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 10:57 (3446 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:03

This happens more than it should. Out of all the supers, when bladedancer fails – it fails amazingly.

Arc Blade is situational. With Showstopper, it's great for taking out large mobs of weak enemies. It's not good for single powerful ones. I am not sure why, but Razor's edge doesn't seem to be common, yet it is better at packing a punch to single targets (I actually like it vs the Cabal).

If you find you are running out of super energy, turn on Encore, and get Mask of the Third Man, which makes arc blade use less energy. You can go a REALLY long time with both. For me, it was frequently TOO long, and I would run around with nothing to kill, so I put the helmet in the vault.

I routinely slice through Vex and Hive groups with ease using arc blade.

Again, it is SITUATIONAL in PvE, so you should not try to make it fit where it won't.

by Numinar @, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:09 (3446 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Problem is, when it comes to large groups of weak enemies Bad Juju and some handcannons I have loved has you covered. It's about the only thing those guns do well. Arc Blade did get me out of a lot of trouble and helped me solo some missions, but the nightfalls and weekly 28's have few uses for it.

Though I have been inspired by some posts here. I like the idea of hovering over the Archon's face slicing him up and impressing my fireteam with my dashing cape.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:16 (3446 days ago) @ Numinar

Problem is, when it comes to large groups of weak enemies Bad Juju and some handcannons I have loved has you covered.

I feel the same way about knives in PvE. They are just a weaker, limited use, harder to aim hand canon shots :-p

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:28 (3446 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Problem is, when it comes to large groups of weak enemies Bad Juju and some handcannons I have loved has you covered.

I feel the same way about knives in PvE. They are just a weaker, limited use, harder to aim hand canon shots :-p

But stringing kills with knife juggler is so satisfying.

It's slick too

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:31 (3446 days ago) @ bluerunner

But stringing kills with knife juggler is so satisfying.

One of the few truly skill-driven abilities in the game. Wish there were more of them.

Circus Hunter

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:26 (3446 days ago) @ bluerunner

Knife Juggler, Gambler's Dagger, Scavenger. Max Agility.

That Lightswitch modifier man. Ouch.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:35 (3446 days ago) @ Numinar
edited by someotherguy, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:47

I have similar trouble with my Solo Defender build. It's a very punchy, bashy build, and it relies a lot on hitting things in the face over and over and over. Which works fine up until Lightswitch happens.

Luckily I can spec differently, and use My Bubble as a shield generator or damage buffer. Bladedancers can't really do that as much.

by Durandal, Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 05:35 (3445 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Razor's Edge requires you to stand in front of the target and fire the wave. You have to be facing the direction you want to fire so you cannot retreat or strafe. Since blade dancer doesn't have much in the way of damage mitigation this isn't the best plan. You would be better off with showstopper while circling or cloaking and hitting from behind.

In PVP it seems even more problematic to stop and stand in front of your opponents.

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 16:13 (3446 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Rushing in with arc blade is pretty survivable in PvE if you do it right. I took the skill that lets me cloak with right trigger, so I just do that when I'm running low on enery, and retreat without getting attacked. Also took the skill that increases cloak duration, as well as blink strike cloaking, so one melee after arc blade runs down, and I get off scot free. It can be a good finisher on bosses with low health (or just cleaning up the riffraff that litters every arena), but if you're worried about getting beat down by tougher enemies, you could just take the skill that lets you attack at range with right trigger.

In PvP, it's a different story, but I feel like sometimes getting owned by a Titan super is the price we pay for the ability to wipe out an entire team, even if they're widely spaced. It's definitely situational.

…in PvE. (In this case 24 vs 24.)

THAT’S Right. I Said it. IT. SUCKS.

Titan – Fist of Havok – Automatic Lunge + AOE. Dead. In the event of still not dead - SMASH IT IN THE FACE with your Titan Armor.

Titan – Ward of Dawn – It’s like Sunslinger but with more “not dieing” first. Or grenades. You can hit things in the face more. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED TO KNOE!!1!

Warlock – Sunslinger(I know its singer… but it’s… like… wrong) - Get up close and hit things in face. Die because you aren't a titan. Comeback from dead because you arn't a titan. Nadespam and create Orbs of Light because you aren't a titan. Praise the sun.

Warlock – Nova Bomb – KA-CEWW! BOOOSH! So much Dead. Warlocks 4 lyfe.

Hunter – Golden gun – Its like a sniper, but from Halo 2. Dead. In the event of not dead – it’s ok. You aren't exposed.

Then

Hunter – Blade Dancer – Start your super which begins to drain. You run towards your target then lunge. If it dies – that’s cool! If it doesn't – and it won’t - do it again. Oh my super is still draining.

Super is now fully drained – I killed one, and halved the health of another. I’m now standing in the middle of a swarm.
Who dies?

;_;

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 16:51 (3446 days ago) @ Jabberwok

Yep. Good advice. I fear Bladedancers more than anything in the Crucible. All the other Supers it's just BLAM and dead. Bladedancer you see coming, you see killing the three teammates in front of you, you try and run away, then you die!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 08:06 (3445 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The best way to survive a bladedance in the crucible is to use your jump ability to escape. Hovering in midair might buy you just enough time for their super to end and a lot of people aren't very good at tracking vertically when using bladedancer.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread