So... Destiny made me do something I swore I'd never do. (Destiny)

by Riceamike, Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 23:38 (3445 days ago)
edited by Riceamike, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 00:09

And that is buy a thempark MMO.

I have to say, the way information is presented to you in FFXIV:ARR is leaps ahead of many games. I was just so tired of Bungie attempting an 'mmo' styled game with Destiny and failing at it.

So much frustration that it drove me to the grindiest genre of gaming in existence.

And I love it.

I look at Destiny and I see many of the same things to do in FFXIV. You have 'fetch quests' and replaying certain areas of the world over and over again in order to achieve a higher level to do other things. But what I see that Destiny fails at is providing a reason to do them in-lore. So much of Destiny is actually 'gamey' in that the focus isn't on the universe, it's on the game itself. However, with this, just a minor quest to clear out some Dodos comes with paragraphs of dialogue that provides context and reasoning.

EDIT : It also does a thing I don't think I'd ever see Destiny do.
Major patches every three months, the newest one ADDING AN ENTIRE CLASS AND NEW JOB? That's crazy.

Bungie should spend 3 years remaking Destiny ;)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 00:17 (3445 days ago) @ Riceamike

And squeeze out two low-budget unplanned sequels to Pimps at Sea while they're at it.

So... Destiny made me do something I swore I'd never do.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 05:38 (3445 days ago) @ Riceamike

Let's take a look back at how FFIV launched, since you're so eager to compare the two. The game was a complete mess from top to bottom. It was so bad, that all of the feedback was taken in, and then the game was rebuilt from the bottom up over the course of a couple of years into what it is now. If it didn't do everything better than Destiny, that would be a shock.

It's interesting how you sent me the same message about a week ago, got no reply, and since you just weren't getting the attention that you wanted, decided to repeat yourself here... Seems to be a running trend with you folks that complain about Destiny: you don't ever get enough attention, so you feel the need to endlessly repeat yourselves, and anyone who calls you out on your asinine redundancy is simply a fanboy who is trying to stop any complaints about the game, because heaven forbid that anyone not have your levels of pessimism.

I thought you had said that you were going to be a more positive person, but you've been bringing nothing to the table except a constant stream of negativity (even while you play the game for hours). Stuff like that makes people not want to invite you to play with them, which in your case was one of the main reasons that you left the community in the first place, and why you're once again alienating the few people who have bothered to give you a chance, which sucks, because it's always nice to debate with people while playing a game, but at some point, the constant whining just outweighs any merit to playing with someone...

But whatevs...

So... Destiny made me do something I swore I'd never do.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 05:51 (3445 days ago) @ Korny

Let's take a look back at how FFIV launched, since you're so eager to compare the two. The game was a complete mess from top to bottom. It was so bad, that all of the feedback was taken in, and then the game was rebuilt from the bottom up over the course of a couple of years into what it is now. If it didn't do everything better than Destiny, that would be a shock.

Ouch.

So, Rice, think you can re-review Destiny after a couple years?

I agree with this

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 05:54 (3445 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Ouch

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 07:47 (3445 days ago) @ Korny

On the bright side Rice, FFXIV is very fun. If it's more your thing, I'm glad you found something that suits you.

Maybe it'll give you something to think about other than how much you hate Destiny.

You must have me confused with someone else.

by Riceamike, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 13:36 (3444 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Riceamike, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 13:43

It would be a shock, and since you're interested in comparing them as well, let's look at what Square and SOE did with FFXIV compared to how Bungie is treating the reaction and ways to play Destiny.
Square has completely redone the game, made it fit what people wanted it to be, and provided an in-story reason with the Calamity for why 1.0 is different from 2.0.

Bungie, on the other hand, has reversed statements they made from the first ViDoc onwards, shown off content that isn't in the game, and overall seemed to deliver a product that isn't what they advertised. And when problems are presented 'to them' that players don't complain about, go 'this isn't how we intended' despite earlier statements in fact saying that is what they intended.

It's interesting how you sent me the same message about a week ago, got no reply, and since you just weren't getting the attention that you wanted, decided to repeat yourself here... Seems to be a running trend with you folks that complain about Destiny: you don't ever get enough attention, so you feel the need to endlessly repeat yourselves, and anyone who calls you out on your asinine redundancy is simply a fanboy who is trying to stop any complaints about the game, because heaven forbid that anyone not have your levels of pessimism.

I've never said that Destiny wasn't fun. In fact, I've stated that point multiple times as to why I played it. It's almost similar to the GiantBombcast, which swear to never speak of Destiny again but every week they end up talking about it for 45 minutes because something just comes up and they always end on 'the most fun disappointment ever made' and 'Why can't I stop playing'. Unfortunately, I realized that the game doesn't have time for me, and like that one person here said 'Why should I have time for it'. I bought it on PSN. It's on my Harddrive. Maybe the expansion will do more than add in cut content, maybe it'll make the game worthwhile.

But right now, it doesn't provide me with what games should provide me, at least on a personal level.

I thought you had said that you were going to be a more positive person, but you've been bringing nothing to the table except a constant stream of negativity (even while you play the game for hours). Stuff like that makes people not want to invite you to play with them, which in your case was one of the main reasons that you left the community in the first place, and why you're once again alienating the few people who have bothered to give you a chance, which sucks, because it's always nice to debate with people while playing a game, but at some point, the constant whining just outweighs any merit to playing with someone...

Okay, this I don't get. Was that one of my reasons for leaving the *BO community? I don't recall that. I never had a problem having people to play in either Halo or Destiny, in fact, I rarely ever played Solo. In fact, the reason I remember was that I simply didn't want to play Halo all the time and found other things to do.

You must have me confused with someone else.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 20:23 (3444 days ago) @ Riceamike

It would be a shock, and since you're interested in comparing them as well, let's look at what Square and SOE did with FFXIV compared to how Bungie is treating the reaction and ways to play Destiny.
Square has completely redone the game, made it fit what people wanted it to be, and provided an in-story reason with the Calamity for why 1.0 is different from 2.0.

Bungie, on the other hand, has reversed statements they made from the first ViDoc onwards, shown off content that isn't in the game, and overall seemed to deliver a product that isn't what they advertised. And when problems are presented 'to them' that players don't complain about, go 'this isn't how we intended' despite earlier statements in fact saying that is what they intended.

Once again, you're obscuring or avoiding the truth. Destiny has been out, what, a month? Sure, Bungie has made some misteps, but in your rush to throw up FFXIV as proof of your argument you totally gloss over that what SOE did was over years. You have no idea if Bungie will follow suit or not. How did SOE act in the month after FFXIV's release? Have you even bothered with that?

Years. Do you know how long a year is and how much work gets done over that amount of time when compared to a month? Serious question. I'm not condoning anything Bungie has said or done, just calling out your absurd level of false equivalence.

Quit with the "gotcha Bunggeee!" it's gotten old.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread