Maximum armour stat bonuses (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 24, 2014, 16:20 (3472 days ago)

Legendary armour from Vendors has set stats that never change. We all know that.

BUT armour from engrams and reputation level-up perks has randomized stats. Which of the two of three out of Discipline, Intellect and Strength they upgrade is random. How much they upgrade them is also randomised within a range. To make matters more complicated, increasing an armour's defense rating also increases these stat bonuses. So comparing a fully-upgraded Legendary you already have, to one you've just found or can buy is not valid without knowledge of how much the stats can go up with the defense upgrades. For example, the one on the left is same as the piece on the right, but purchased, used and fully upgraded.

Exotics are not immune from this either. I got a Hunter's Achlyophage Symbiote from an Exotic engram that started with more 5 Discipline than the one you could buy from Xur the same week. From what I heard, the Titan Armamentarium available from Xur this week has more of it's stat bonus than last week too.

So the question becomes: when I'm super-short on Ascendent Materials - and always seem to be - is it actually worth upgrading armour pieces with them? Or should I wait for RNGesus to smile on me and give me a piece with the maximum stat values?

If the latter: what the hell are they? Does anyone know? How do we find out? Do I just go make notes on pieces I find, upgrade them anyway, and work it out? Is anything but Raid gear really worth it?

P.S. Yes, I realise that the stats bonuses only end up improving recharges by seconds or even fractions thereof. But the way I often like to play, even that can seem like an eternity sometimes. Optimisation or die.

Random stats on exotics is the dumbest -blam-

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, October 24, 2014, 17:09 (3472 days ago) @ RC

I hate it so much. I'm fine with randomness on legendaries but I think exotics should be set in stone. The fact that Xur is selling a strictly better version of the Armamentarium than what I bought last week pisses me off to no end.

I hope Bungie sees this.

Random stats on exotics is the dumbest -blam-

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:51 (3472 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

And substantially better, at that. I just coughed up again, but yeah. Dick move Bungie/Xur

I don't like it either...

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 24, 2014, 19:07 (3472 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I hate it so much. I'm fine with randomness on legendaries but I think exotics should be set in stone. The fact that Xur is selling a strictly better version of the Armamentarium than what I bought last week pisses me off to no end.

I hope Bungie sees this.

I had just about decided that Exotics were 'safe' to spend Shards on since they're specially designed, set, situationally-overpowered items, right!? Then I realised the stat values could be different, so maybe I should wait until we figure out what the maximums are and find a piece with that?

UGH! Frustrating!

I didn't buy the Armamentarium last week, but I can imagine being very frustrated that you could have waited a week and got something better. But there is absolutely no way to know. I think a lot of people don't even realise these stats can change since they're still preoccupied with getting enough Light to get to 29/30.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 24, 2014, 19:21 (3472 days ago) @ RC

I hope Bungie sees this.

I had just about decided that Exotics were 'safe' to spend Shards on since they're specially designed, set, situationally-overpowered items, right!? Then I realised the stat values could be different, so maybe I should wait until we figure out what the maximums are and find a piece with that?

UGH! Frustrating!

I didn't buy the Armamentarium last week, but I can imagine being very frustrated that you could have waited a week and got something better. But there is absolutely no way to know. I think a lot of people don't even realise these stats can change since they're still preoccupied with getting enough Light to get to 29/30.

Are you aware that points into stats has less and less effect the higher your level? If you are above level 26 or so, the difference of a few points is so insignificant it can be ignored. Your example of five discipline is really really tiny and you won't notice, guaranteed.

Don't worry about it.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 12:16 (3471 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The armamentarium is 25 Discipline better this week. That's 10% at level 27. Not to be sniffed at.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 10:38 (3470 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you aware that points into stats has less and less effect the higher your level? If you are above level 26 or so, the difference of a few points is so insignificant it can be ignored. Your example of five discipline is really really tiny and you won't notice, guaranteed.

Don't worry about it.

Yes, I'm aware. At level 20 or above, you need about 270 to reach 100% bonus on any stat.

I don't know what the max and min are for each piece, so it is probably more than 5. Add up those differences between 2 stats on 4 armour pieces and over a level or a match it's quite a few extra grenades and supers.

I've been doing a bit of research over the last couple of days by inspecting other players in the tower. I've seen:

• Achlyopage Symbiote vary between 98 and 110 Discipline (12 points), both fully upgraded
  • Mask of the Third Man vary between 93 and 117 Intellect (24 points), fully upgraded
  • A un-upgraded Crest of Alpha Lupi with 7 more Strength than another fully upgraded one
  • Fully upgraded Prime Zealot Cuircass total stat points vary by 14 points (one was split between Int/Dis, the other was all Str)

Hard to say more without more data.

From the strategy guide:

...if you really want to maximise your power, you can most certainly hunt for "perfect" armour.

I'm gonna keep a look out for this stuff. :)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 24, 2014, 19:33 (3472 days ago) @ RC

I didn't buy the Armamentarium last week, but I can imagine being very frustrated that you could have waited a week and got something better.

Eh. I had a really good week, BECAUSE of Armamentarium. By not buying it last week, I'd have lost the opportunity cost.

Maximum I've found...

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:53 (3472 days ago) @ RC

These are Hunter Legendaries, fully upgraded:

Helmet: 53/54 (total 107) - Note: have a +110 on an Exotic
Gloves: 49/47 (total 96)
Chest: 70/73 (total 143) - Note: from a Raid chest
Boots: 69/68 (total 137)

Anyone have any pieces with more?

I have no idea if certain upgrades affect the maximum attainable. I.e. does Inverse Shadow (more super energy from PvE kills) apply something like a -5 to the maximum stat value since it seems objectively the best for PvE armour? I just don't know :(

Hold the phone...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:55 (3472 days ago) @ RC

Sorry to not stay on topic, but... what's the "Currently Equipped" overlay? Is that a thing?!

Hold right(?) trigger to compare items

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:58 (3472 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Hold the phone...

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 24, 2014, 19:01 (3472 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Sorry to not stay on topic, but... what's the "Currently Equipped" overlay? Is that a thing?!

Right trigger (I think?) and you can compare your currently equiped weapon/armour to one you have your cursor over. Works in stores, the vault and your unequipped items on the character screen.

It's really important to me. I use it all the time.

Hold the phone...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, October 24, 2014, 19:04 (3472 days ago) @ RC

Wow. I'm so.. wow... I've been backing out and switching over to my character screen and comparing things manually. What the hell is wrong with me?

Thanks for this. It changes everything!

WTF!?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 05:46 (3471 days ago) @ JDQuackers

would have been nice to know that this past month.

WTF!?

by Kahzgul, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 13:06 (3471 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

It does have an on-screen prompt that says "hold R2 to compare"

well now i feel like an idiot :(

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, October 27, 2014, 07:02 (3469 days ago) @ Kahzgul

i have completely ignored that text all this time. now that i now its there, it jumps out at me. always mocking. :)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, October 27, 2014, 07:51 (3469 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Likewise! Now I can't NOT see the "Press )RT) to Compare" text. Every time. I was so idiotic for not being able to see it before.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, October 27, 2014, 10:07 (3469 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Likewise! Now I can't NOT see the "Press )RT) to Compare" text. Every time. I was so idiotic for not being able to see it before.

And now a UIX designer is shedding a single tear, for what should have been obvious simply wasn't obvious enough...

If it makes you feel better, this exchange between my girlfriend and I happened in the beta...
Her: "What's this big red number flashing at me on the hud?"
Me: "What big red number? Where is it?"
Her: "In the corner."
Me: "Like... with your Super bar and stuff?"
Her: "Yeah. It's been flashing for a while, but it hasn't changed."
Me: ".... Have you reloaded your weapon recently?"
Her: ".... OH."
Me: "*facepalm*"

Good times.

Maximum armour stat bonuses

by sorahn ⌂, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 07:14 (3470 days ago) @ RC

The thing that bothers me the most about this is that you have no way to compare base stats. If I've got an exotic or legendary that's upgraded. It's almost impossible to find out if something else will be better unless you wrote down your own stats.

Maximum armour stat bonuses

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 08:18 (3470 days ago) @ sorahn

In general I've found that each upgrade adds 2 to each stat. Can't verify that that's always the case mind, my sample size is pretty small.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread