Weekly Update - Oct 24, 2014, Thoughts? (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 24, 2014, 17:42 (3472 days ago)

Beorn beat me to front paging the Update (by about 30 seconds, glad I refreshed the front page before hitting submit), but I wanted to see how you guys feel about the update. Personally, I am VERY happy with the changes they are making to the Iron Banner. I avoided it last time because of the rampant quitting as well as the difficulty in ranking up. Glad to see those issues being addressed!

I'm so -blam-ing happy that there is an alt to raid gear

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:05 (3472 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

This.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, October 25, 2014, 14:24 (3471 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Also, Iron Banner might actually different from regular PvP now! Hurray!

Reforging

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:25 (3472 days ago) @ Xenos

In the next Iron Banner, Lord Saladin will offer players the option of Reforging any Iron Banner weapon (including those from the last event.) This will re-roll all of the upgrades, but will also reset any progression. The cost for each Reforge will be a small number of Motes of Light, so set some aside next time Xur arrives in the Tower.

Very interesting. Get a cool weapon, but not cool upgrades, spend some Motes to get another chance at the cool upgrades without having to find a whole new weapon.

Now, uh... can we get this for everything else as well, please? :D

The Iron Lords respect perseverance and tenacity. In the next Iron Banner, players will receive a Medallion of Iron on a loss. Upon their next win, each Medallion they carry will convert into a reputation gain almost equal to a win.

That's very interesting too. Personally I saw no point in quitting IB since I was still getting CruRep at the same rate. But hopefully this'll stop the idiots from bailing and at least be a meat shield for me.

In the next Iron Banner, new exclusive reward Armor will be bumped to Level 30, but will still only be available in two slots.

They mean, will be Legendaries that can be upgraded to carry +30 Light, right? Because all the equipment maxes out at 'requires level 20.'

Anyone remember what two pieces were available? I badly need boots and gloves.

Once we’re 100% sure we can meet that deadline, we’ll let know.

I suspected this, but this is more confirmation that Bungie is operating on the 'don't give an estimate until it's no longer an estimate' model. So I wish people (coughbnetcoughreddit) would stop going on about "wen r bad hoohoo getin fixt? it r so looong tiem!"

Reforging

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 24, 2014, 18:28 (3472 days ago) @ RC

They mean, will be Legendaries that can be upgraded to carry +30 Light, right? Because all the equipment maxes out at 'requires level 20.'

I'm guessing if this is new terminology and not a mistype that they mean level 30 armor would be armor that can get you to level 30 if you have a complete set.

I suspected this, but this is more confirmation that Bungie is operating on the 'don't give an estimate until it's no longer an estimate' model. So I wish people (coughbnetcoughreddit) would stop going on about "wen r bad hoohoo getin fixt? it r so looong tiem!"

Same here, and well said!

Weekly Update - Oct 24, 2014, Thoughts?

by Yapok @, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 06:01 (3471 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm looking forward to this one. Looks like some good changes coming down the road.

Weekly Update - Oct 24, 2014, Thoughts?

by Kahzgul, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 13:32 (3471 days ago) @ Xenos

These changes to IB are good, but Bungie's hints at "unexpected surprises" is what I like best. The game is already (sadly) getting old to me, and feels very, very grindy. Hopefully this means an actual content push is coming (and not just new bounties. For the love of God let's see some story content to give us an in-game reason for what we're doing.

I mean, WHEN DO I BECOME LEGEND?

Right now I'm just a guy who has started out in the same way as every other guy and has had exactly the same adventures as every other guy. I'm not a legend; I'm literally nobody special.
I have "exotic" armor but it's actually more common than legendary gear thanks to Xur.
I have "legendary" gear but there's no legends about it in the game, EVER.

Deej keeps saying he wants to hear the stories of how we got our gear. Mine is this: I killed Phogoth 27 times and that last time I got a purple engram which the cryptarch decoded into a cloak. What an awesome story. I'm totally going to regale my grandchildren with "The Legend of that one Purple Cloak that I got by Doing the Exact Same Thing Twenty-Seven Times in a Row."

I don't think I'm alone here when I say that nothing in this game feels important. Nothing feels epic. Nothing I do in Destiny matters.

To date the only player action that resulted in any tangible impact to the game world was farming the goddamn disco cave.

--

Please let the "surprises" be actual improvements to the story, background of our characters, and some degree of uniqueness which permeates the game world in a way that actually makes our stories interesting.

Also, replace Peter Dinklage's VO with literally any other actor. Keanu Reeves would be less wooden.

I think that comment did arc burn! ;-)

by scarab @, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 06:01 (3470 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Deej keeps saying he wants to hear the stories of how we got our gear. Mine is this: I killed Phogoth 27 times and that last time I got a purple engram which the cryptarch decoded into a cloak. What an awesome story. I'm totally going to regale my grandchildren with "The Legend of that one Purple Cloak that I got by Doing the Exact Same Thing Twenty-Seven Times in a Row."

Also, replace Peter Dinklage's VO with literally any other actor. Keanu Reeves would be less wooden.

I think that his delivery fits perfectly. I thought that he was wooden when I first killed a gate lord but now that I've killed dozens and the latest one is just a single item on my daily check list...

as soon as he's dead I'm already prioritizing my next task. So what Dinklage says and how he says it makes perfect sense. Imagine if he has a verbal orgasm every time we do something. I think that would get old very quick and grate more than a flat delivery would.

Maybe Bungie should record three versions:

• "OMG!!! I've just moistened my gusset from the sheer awesomeness of what we've just done."
  • "Yay, way to go!"
  • "OK, what next?"

Play the first one on the first occasion, the second for the next N times (were N is a small integer) and play the third time after about two weeks into our game.

I mean: imagine it from his point of view...

by scarab @, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 06:06 (3470 days ago) @ scarab

we get to do the shooting. Dinklebot just gets to watch.

OK: he gets to crack some algorithms but how much fun is it for him to crack the same old doors day in day out?

His delivery reminds me that he has ground through this game for as long as I have.

I think that PD is a prescient genius.

That's a good point

by Kahzgul, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 06:30 (3470 days ago) @ scarab

Maybe Bungie should record three versions:

• "OMG!!! I've just moistened my gusset from the sheer awesomeness of what we've just done."
  • "Yay, way to go!"
  • "OK, what next?"

Play the first one on the first occasion, the second for the next N times (were N is a small integer) and play the third time after about two weeks into our game.

This makes a ton of sense.

Even still, sometimes when he says "OK, I'll notify Future War Cult" I can hear him thinking "what the F is Future War Cult?" as he says it. A lot of his lines play like that.

That's a good point

by scarab @, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 07:58 (3470 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Even still, sometimes when he says "OK, I'll notify Future War Cult" I can hear him thinking "what the F is Future War Cult?" as he says it. A lot of his lines play like that.

To me the woman who gives us FWC missions seems to be saying, "Future War Court". Almost as if you'd better not commit any war atrocities or the FWC will get you.

And why does she often say, "Don't tell anyone about this"? Is she just naturally a sneaky person?

That's a good point

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 27, 2014, 14:10 (3469 days ago) @ scarab

To me the woman who gives us FWC missions seems to be saying, "Future War Court". Almost as if you'd better not commit any war atrocities or the FWC will get you.

And why does she often say, "Don't tell anyone about this"? Is she just naturally a sneaky person?

Have you noticed how she always says not to tell anyone when you're collecting Temper Cloth for her? I think it's a secret fetish of hers and she's embarrassed about it. I know I'd be ashamed if I had a secret desire to shroud myself in The Undergarments of the Fallen.

That's a new armor item I want: The Undergarments of the Fallen. Make it happen, Bungie!

I think your on to something there.

by scarab @, Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 00:10 (3468 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Or maybe she has a stall in the city market and is abusing her position for self gain. I scratch her back and she scratches mine.

I quite like this view of the Destiny world. Take the Speaker, "I speak for the Traveller when he can't speak for himself." Anyone can make that claim and the T can't call him a liar. How does TS know what the T wants to say? "I'm seeing an older gentleman, has someone close to you passed on recently? He says he wants you to be happy".

Did the T realty say that he wanted TS to have a cushy situation? A gear franchise, a say in the council, and a nice outfit?

OMG your?!?!?

by scarab @, Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 03:01 (3468 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread