Crucible comments/gripes/suggestions (Destiny)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, October 24, 2014, 23:19 (3471 days ago)

Quitters in teams games. I hate getting stuck w 3v1 situations.

Radar. A no radar playlist would be nice. I'll admit it I'm not as sprite as I used to be. The sneak attack is my friend.

All gametypes should be available by default. My internet connection is made from delicate spider thread entangled with unicorn farts. I can barely run the 3v3 playlist. I think there is a 6 man rumble but I don't have access to it yet and I'd prefer it because I don't usually play with friends to make a cohesive team. See quitters.

Maps all seem the same to me. Yeah they look a little different, but aren't uniquely suited for different play-styles. I like to stay mid range from guys where the scout rifle should be king, but I find it hard to setup good prime hunting spots. There always seems to be too much cover immediately available. Maybe its just me. None of the maps feel special like the halo maps either.

Easier friend/clan setup. I've been out of games for a while and my good fixer is still on 360. It would be nice if people in your clan online popped up automatically or with some kind of prompts.

Supers are hard to adjust to. In most other games i.e. halo, cod, bf you just have the basic skill sets. Its frustrating when you've setup that shotgun kill only the get hammered by a titan. But I love dropping my titan down on a defender titan who thinks he's safe in his lil bubble.

Heavy ammo drops. Don't get to em, prepare to get screwed.

No special weapons i like for pvp. Don't like the charge time for fusion rifles, I suck at close range, I suck at long range too.

Why isn't the special melee for a titan a one hit kill?

Crucible comments/gripes/suggestions

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:39 (3470 days ago) @ red robber

Warlocks have a much better melee than titans. At least the sunsinger I use does. I don't get that. I rarely get a kill with the titan's melee, but I get a ton when I'm playing as a warlock. Throwing knife for the hunter is only good if they are already almost dead.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:48 (3470 days ago) @ bluerunner

Throwing knife for the hunter is only good if they are already almost dead.

Only need their shields half way down if your aim is good, and if Incendiary Blade is on you only need a tiny amount of damage done to them before or after.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:54 (3470 days ago) @ Xenos

if your aim is good,

That's where I usually go wrong.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 13:12 (3470 days ago) @ bluerunner

Warlocks have a much better melee than titans. At least the sunsinger I use does. I don't get that. I rarely get a kill with the titan's melee, but I get a ton when I'm playing as a warlock. Throwing knife for the hunter is only good if they are already almost dead.

It all depends on how you have your melee set up. Titans have that shoulder charge and that is a one hit kill. My sunsiger is set to do additional damage when I hit them with scortch but that's still not a one hit kill.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 18:09 (3470 days ago) @ breitzen

Ok, I take it back about the titan punch being too weak.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 25, 2014, 19:47 (3470 days ago) @ bluerunner

1) Holy shit

2) Oh, my god, this game is gorgeous on the One...

by digital_ronin, Saturday, October 25, 2014, 08:14 (3470 days ago) @ red robber

Quitters in teams games. I hate getting stuck w 3v1 situations.

Perhaps a penalty to Crucible rep for quitting more than one match a day?

Radar. A no radar playlist would be nice. I'll admit it I'm not as sprite as I used to be. The sneak attack is my friend.

I'd love to see a hardcore/swat type playlist.

Supers are hard to adjust to. In most other games i.e. halo, cod, bf you just have the basic skill sets. Its frustrating when you've setup that shotgun kill only the get hammered by a titan. But I love dropping my titan down on a defender titan who thinks he's safe in his lil bubble.

Initially yes, but with more play you start to understand them. Destiny requires a lot more running away than other games. Giving up ground while to someone so they "waste" a super is a good thing.

Just wait until you get shoulder charge. ;)

My thoughts on your thoughts

by kornman00, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 05:06 (3470 days ago) @ red robber

"Radar. A no radar playlist would be nice." - Just tell the enemy team to always ADS. If they're not Hunters using Knucklehead helmets, or their weapons don't have that one tech, you can have no radar :p. Honestly, Halo can keep this option or Bungie can just come out with some sort of Customs for Destiny. They could also probably work this into a sort of "Predator and Prey" weekend playlist (a la, Combined Arms), but an entirely new playlist would just hurt PvP population spread.

"Maps all seem the same to me." - I'm going to assume with your complaints about the way playlists unlock (you only need to put your toe in one match of the gametype)that you haven't played the small maps used in Rumble or 3v3? Because those maps are all pretty different.

Asylum is a Boarding Action of sorts, where you have parallel sides with differing heights to fight the other from.

The Mercury map (Burning Shrine, IIRC?) is a sort of "scan your lanes" map. One side is enclosed with the other outside and open to the sun (which can play to your advantage, via brightness blinding the enemy). A scout rifle may be good here (I rarely use them in PvP, prefer hand cannons myself). However, if you're not a fan of the cover system then maybe Destiny isn't your cup of PvP-tea? You know you can crouch behind a block (or most other chest high things) then ADS to pop your gun over it like a gopher, right? If your target is doing the same, lob a grenade over the block they're hiding behind. Unlike Halo (which we should all be thankful Destiny is not trying to be) your grenades regenerate!

IDK, personally each map to me is different. However, what isn't different are how battles can play out on these maps. The one Venus map that was also in the beta (I want to say it's called Shores of Time?) tends to have the 'cave' area by Bravo capture be the focal point in Clash-type maps. Really, the Bravo capture point, for all maps, acts as part of the map's main stress point for controlling the battle field. There are then multiple routes to flank this position and turn the tides in your favor.

"Supers are hard to adjust to." - But when you do, they make PvP that much better. They're what make the meat of matches so much tastier. Let CoD-like games continue to be CoD-like and require little to no extra training.

"Heavy ammo drops. Don't get to em, prepare to get screwed." - A good player knows where heavies drop and listens for the incoming announcement. A good player works this drop to their team's advantage. If your team is smart enough to gravitate towards one, rush the other one(s). Even if you get killed after picking it up, that still only means your killer gets that heavy, instead of his cronies getting some too.

If you suck, you're probably doing your team a favor by not picking it up as you'll probably just end up giving someone on the other team some more heavy. If you know for a fact you can't make it to the drop location in time to control it, watch from a safe distance what the enemy pulls out and judge your next move to kill them and take their heavy for yourself.

You should also be mindful about when to pickup your victim's dropped heavy ammo. If you'll get killed rushing it, just leave it for later. If you're playing Control it could easily become your Plan B while trying to capture the point (assuming you killed them by one).

TL;DR: IMHO, not getting to them really isn't the sign of end times.

"No special weapons i like for pvp." - How many Legendary+ Specials (with their tech trees fully unlocked) have you really played with? You can easily tune numerous weapons within a degree of your play style (obviously with RNG there will be some bad stat/tech tree rolls). Part of the game of Destiny is playing and finding new gear that you can plug into your desired play style.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 15:54 (3467 days ago) @ red robber

1. Neuter (if not remove completely) the Hunter class. Between the Golden Gun Primary(yes, it is. Either through some glitch or modding--already--I've played at least two games where a player got through all 25 kills with it in Rumble) and--to steal a quote from Yahtzee--that "cop-out fuck you attack" that makes them invincible...

And Sonic 3 & Knuckles fast...

AND puts them on auto-enemy-track...

AND insta-one-hit-kills...

It's entirely one-sided, and makes me feel like an idiot for choosing anything else. I remember I was actually winning for the first time in a Crucible game--pretty sure it was Rumble--and bloop! Whadaya know. Here comes the cop-out fuck you attack! The opponent gets....whatever the Destiny equivalent of a damn Killtrocity is and automatically wins the game.

Balanced.

2. Edit the text in the Crucible so the descriptions no longer mention "Level Advantages". Every time I see "Level Advantages Disabled" I can't help but cackle a little. Yeah, players may not be able to bring in their 1,006 Level 30 defense armor, but they can sure as hell bring in their Level 30 Fusion Rifles, Sniper Rifles, One-Hit Kill Shotguns and (insert Exotic weapon name here). At the risk of sounding too Halo, I think that LAD should mean everyone starts out with an equally powerful or powerless weapon, leaving their normal stuff behind, with the opportunity to grab more powerful stuff. It may spawn on the map a la Heavy Ammo, it may already be there on the floor or something. But when I played my first Crucible game, I was Level 5, and the 2nd lowest level after that was 17 (We'll get back to that aspect of matchmaking later). So I'm walking around with literally a piss-shooter on my first game, and everyone else has Legendary and Exotics. How does that feel?

3. Add some kind of incentive for Skirmish. I honestly don't see any visible reward for risking your life and going to a player's Ghost to revive them. Glossing over the fact that the opposing team is all camping at said orb with Shotguns, Rockets and the like, there's just no point, really. How about 25 points? Maybe the victim's spree stays intact? Keeps their heavy ammo? We should get something for becoming literally sitting ducks while reviving our teammates and getting set up for a multi-kill.

4. The report section also needs to be available post-game. It doesn't make sense that the only time this(admittedly nice feature) works is when we're on a 20 second timer in between games, right when it happened. I should be able to back out of Crucible, and do my reporting while in orbit--on my time.

5. A few more rewards would be nice. And I guess a little less random, too. Not just kills obviously. Control points managed, map familiarity, tightness/looseness of game, etc. I remember once, I won a game in Control with 5 others. We actually did pretty good, for the most of us. When the rewards came up, literally the only person on our team who got one was the lowest placed player. 1 Kill, 13 Deaths, no Control Zone assistance, no nothing. He might have even been AFK. The rest of us chopped livers got nothing. Fair.

6. One more thing--circular logic. Good lord. The Quartermaster and Handler. All those marks and rank requirements! It's saying exactly: You have to win a bunch of multiplayer if you want a good weapon, and you have to have a good weapon if you want to win a bunch of multiplayer. It's a cruel and messed up circle.

For the most part, I usually simply stay away from Crucible until I get something really heavy and good.

I do enjoy the rest of it, though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread