Does anybody use Dr Nope? (Destiny)

by scarab @, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 06:15 (3465 days ago)

The reason I ask is because I normally depose it after firing it for a second.

But Kapowaz says that if I enable all upgrades but don't invest resources in it then I will get more ascendant energy from it when I do dispose of it.

I was doing Sepkis Prime and attacked a group of about seven dregs.

With my scout rifle that would play out like this: die, die, die, die, die, die, die, reload. One headshot per dreg.

With Dr Nope it plays out: brrr4rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp die, brrrrrrrrrrrr reloa (shit shield down!) Punch! Reloa Punch! Reloa Punch, punch, pun SUPER!

PHEW, they're all dead. Where was I? Oh yes, reload.

Does it get better when upgraded? I imagine that Dr Nope could lay down a lot of damage on Sepkis when it does more than fifty eight damage per shot.

So anyway, does anyone use it? Does it get better?

PS I had to put spaces in my brrrrrp because it caused error. Imagine that the spaces aren't there.

Nope...

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 06:42 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

I have Atheon's Epilogue which is the same archetype but just better. Void damage, with a Perfect Balance stability upgrade, Persistence to help prolonged burst accuracy, and add the most stable scope and it becomes mostly usable at close to mid.

According to the data someotherguy got, ARs have the highest raw DPS. But you have to hit those shots for it to count. Dr Nope just doesn't cut it - especially if you want criticals.

On the flipside, high stability is why Shadow Price and Suros Regime are popular...

Nope...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 19:57 (3465 days ago) @ RC

Hey, that's me!

I love my Doctor Nope for big dumb targets that I can hit with my eyes closed. For anything else, Shadow Price or Suros are where it's at.

Does anybody use Dr Nope?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:27 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

But Kapowaz says that if I enable all upgrades but don't invest resources in it then I will get more ascendant energy from it when I do dispose of it.

If upgrading it is your main reason for using it, just use bounties instead to get all the upgrades. I've done this with a lot of the exotics that aren't any good before they are upgraded to their titular ability.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:31 (3465 days ago) @ Xenos

That was a life changer once I learned this trick! SO. MUCH. BETTER.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:33 (3465 days ago) @ unoudid

What trick is this?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:34 (3465 days ago) @ Kermit

What trick is this?

Equip the gun you want to upgrade right before you turn in your bounties. You never even have to use a gun to level it up all the way.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:36 (3465 days ago) @ Xenos

What trick is this?

Equip the gun you want to upgrade right before you turn in your bounties. You never even have to use a gun to level it up all the way.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I've been doing that since the beta, but I still use weaker gear I want to upgrade during less challenging activities just to speed up the process.

by Master NOODLE, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:30 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

I use it a lot. It's basically an atheon's epilogue without the void damage.

Shadow Price seems better. As does Suros.

by Monochron, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:30 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

What about the dead orbit gun?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:32 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

I just got that as a reward for nightfall. That's its own problem, but is the gun any good? It has glass half full and third eye.

What about the dead orbit gun?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:34 (3465 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's like having Michael J Fox on your fireteam.

Too soon.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:39 (3465 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

Too soon.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:48 (3465 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What's too soon?

It must be really funny because everyone laughs when you use it.

It's gotta be better than Unwilling Soul

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:33 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

That gun is a piece of shit.

It's certainly impossible to be worse than unwilling soul

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 31, 2014, 10:43 (3464 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

Yup, fully upgraded it rips new assholes.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 09:37 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

Sometimes it's just the right weapon. I even took out Nexus and Phogoth bosses with it.

It's cranky and hard to aim at first but if you hang on for the ride, it can be a real crowd reduction tool.

So much depends on the game settings and environment. If the enemy is not flinching or you are wide open to a boss when shooting, a peek and shoot weapon would be better.

I thought it MIGHT be good on big slow dopy targets

by scarab @, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 09:43 (3465 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

But I have what I think are better weapons to upgrade so I might just delete again. It keeps coming back so I'm sure I'll see it again :-)

I Do

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 11:31 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

I like it a lot, personally. Though I really wouldn't recommend it unless it has Perfect Balance, which the one the Vanguard sells does have. I enjoy being able to shoot a stupid amount of bullets at a stupid speed.

I could use it just fine before getting its Stability upgrade perk, but I think I'm rather different in taste than most folks here.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 11:49 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

I don't. I tried it for a while, but that sort of gun just isn't for me. Too much random spray. I had a Grim Citizen for a while, and recently had a Shadow Price drop, which I've switched to (their handling is practically identical, but the perks on this particular Shadow Price work better for me). Both of them are relatively slow-firing for an autorifle, and much more stable. Works better for me.

w.r.t "get more ascendant energy"

by kornman00, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 18:45 (3465 days ago) @ scarab

I've played around with this on a handful of Legendaries I've been given through engrams/faction level ups

At first I would fully unlock the tech tree of the gun (via equip-item-on-bounty-turn-in tactic). Since I'm not really using them, I don't invest in any of their tech upgrades (beyond the first primary tech, because it only takes glimmer). This process normally gives me ~5 AE, but I could have sworn I even got 7 AE during on dismantle of a fully unlocked weapon.

Recently I just said "fuck it" to getting the last three upgrades unlocked (the ones which use AE for upgrading). So, I'd just unlock it until the last damage upgrade which uses Weapons Parts. With this process, I'm still getting ~5 AE.

I'm currently sitting at over 100 AE (it's more of a matter of farming the materials needed. I have plenty to spend it on). So I'll probably end up seeing what I get for dismantling a weapon with everything unlocked up to its 2nd primary tech, and just its primary and option techs unlocked, and just its first optional tech. If I continue to get the same AE from this, I'll probably just end up testing fewer and fewer tech tree unlocks.

TL;DR: you just need to *unlock* the weapon upgrades, you don't have to invest in them to get more AE from dismantles. And you don't have to fully unlock it (unless of course I'm remembering right about that 7 AE from a dismantle, because I've only gotten that once).

Good info, thanks

by Miguel Chavez, Friday, October 31, 2014, 06:03 (3464 days ago) @ kornman00

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread