you can still cheese atheon (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:10 (3464 days ago)

found this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2krfvy/atheon_cheese_20_please_patch/

the gist:

• relic carrier activates bubble at the front of the center platform, with it hanging off a little bit
  • others grenade atheon from behind so that he walks out on top of the bubble and to one side
  • drop the bubble
  • ????
  • profit

The players have spoken

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:38 (3464 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

The players have spoken, and many of them clearly do not want to play the game as Bungie intended. Again, I feel as if this stuff wouldn't be a problem at all if progression and gear weren't on the line. Bungie didn't patch out shield bumping which let you beat Keyes in 2 minutes.

Don't say stupid things, Cody

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 07:59 (3464 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The players have spoken, and many of them clearly do not want to play the game as Bungie intended.

People look for easy ways to do things - that's human nature.

Bungie didn't patch out shield bumping which let you beat Keyes in 2 minutes.

Because they couldn't

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 08:29 (3464 days ago) @ RC

The players have spoken, and many of them clearly do not want to play the game as Bungie intended.

People look for easy ways to do things - that's human nature.

If you present a challenge to me, and I come up with a novel, clever, and efficient solution, that should not be invalidated. Part of the problem with the Templar fix I have in principle is that it breaks the logic of the game. You have a platform you can reach. So it stands to reason you can stand there and snipe enemies, just as enemies do to you. When you can't, it breaks immersion.

A better solution would have been to place the platforms farther away, so they simply cannot be reached.

Because they couldn't

Maybe you are right about Halo 1, but they sure fixed a lot in Halo 2, but left in enough fun for Campaign players.

by wintermuteprime, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 09:59 (3464 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by wintermuteprime, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 10:04

I think it's funny how the same inventive clever behavior on the behalf of the players, which was the life's blood of Halo, is now being viewed as playing the game in a way that they didn't intend.

I didn't buy a book that has a fixed ending, I bought an 'Open World Shooter'. Open implying to me that I have some choice in how I approach things.

I got your back, Cody.

*Edit* - Or maybe Bungie could stop following the pattern of a lot of developers lately (looking at YOU Respawn) and putting out half-finished products. If they had playtested the end of the raid, and TRIED to break it, maybe they would have found it before we did. Take the fucking time to FIND and FIX your bugs and behaviors before you put the fucking game out. You mean to tell me that nobody thought the Vex Mythoclast was a little fucking busted in testing? Gimmie a break. And don't DLC us to death with all this content 'you didn't have finished in time for release', when it's in the goddamn game files already.

tl;dr of Edit - FINISH YOUR FUCKING GAMES BEFORE YOU RELEASE THEM.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 11:26 (3464 days ago) @ wintermuteprime

I think it's funny how the same inventive clever behavior on the behalf of the players, which was the life's blood of Halo, is now being viewed as playing the game in a way that they didn't intend.

Destiny is not Halo.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 11:37 (3464 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Destiny is not Halo.

The posts you're responding to recognize that. And they're arguing that infrastructurally, it maybe should have been.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 11:39 (3464 days ago) @ uberfoop

Whoops, I did misinterpret that. My bad.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 16:12 (3464 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you present a challenge to me, and I come up with a novel, clever, and efficient solution, that should not be invalidated.

I don't think it was. If you used any of the methods they now prevent, you still beat Atheon. You still keep your sense of accomplishment, your skills, your experience, your loot.

But Bungie are totally allowed to change the challenge for future attempts by you or anyone else.

Have you ever watched Sasuke? AKA Ninja Warrior. It's a televised 4 stage obstacle course from Japan. The first stage is open to basically all ability levels so its entertaining for the wipe-outs as much as the swift completions. Then the later stages become truly gruelling with some inspiring attempts.

They've held dozens of competitions with 100 competitors each time and the full course has only been cleared 4 times by 3 different people. The organisers make changes to the course every year, and every time someone beat it they did a massive overhaul of the entire course.

The changes don't invalidate the completer's accomplishments at all. The changes make it BETTER as it keeps it a fresh and interesting challenge for everyone each time. No competition is a foregone conclusion just because the guy that won last time is back again. The best competitors can never get too comfortable, can't rely too heavily on training on replicas at home. It means there are more upsets for viewers and competitors have to be more adaptable and just plain better. The few that get far in the course are welcomed back as heroes every time they decide to have another go.

That's a fairly extreme example in terms of how much it changes and I wouldn't expect the Vault of Glass to undergo that. But, the point is, changing the challenge is fine and can even be a good thing.

(Also, you should watch Sasuke - it's awesome)

Part of the problem with the Templar fix I have in principle is that it breaks the logic of the game. You have a platform you can reach. So it stands to reason you can stand there and snipe enemies, just as enemies do to you. When you can't, it breaks immersion.

A better solution would have been to place the platforms farther away, so they simply cannot be reached.

Oh, I totally agree. Or make them smaller with no viable cover and extend the Templar's range.

Is it stupid, though?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 13:31 (3464 days ago) @ RC

Because they couldn't

Ok, fair enough, that's true - they couldn't. But if they could have, would they have done so? It's hard to say for sure, but my gut says no, simply because I can't think why they'd bother. I don't think it would improve the experience, and I don't think Bungie would believe so either. In those single-player days, they didn't consider things that sped up campaign runs (even massively) to be a problem. I know you in particular are quite familiar with those glitches, more so than me, but for anyone who isn't, look at the later Halo 2 sword flying exploit for an example. That exploit was patched out in multiplayer (and rightly so) because it could potentially be used to ruin others' fun. However, it was left in campaign (again, rightly so IMO). That seems to show that they didn't consider campaign exploits an issue, at least in a game like Halo 2 where campaign exploits only affected the player doing them (and possibly one split-screen partner, who is close enough to punch them if necessary).

Is it stupid, though?

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 15:19 (3464 days ago) @ stabbim

Because they couldn't

Ok, fair enough, that's true - they couldn't. But if they could have, would they have done so?

Feels like a moot point to me because... they couldn't.

The design of subsequent Halo games certainly points to them thinking it undesirable: more kill zones, invisible barriers etc.

In those single-player days, they didn't consider things that sped up campaign runs (even massively) to be a problem.

Speeding stuff up is still A-Okay with Bungie. The design of the levels in Destiny reveals this over and over. There is SO much you can just run straight past. Stuff that I originally thought were objectives are actually just 'obstacles' between you and the end.

I know you in particular are quite familiar with those glitches, more so than me, but for anyone who isn't, look at the later Halo 2 sword flying exploit for an example. That exploit was patched out in multiplayer (and rightly so) because it could potentially be used to ruin others' fun. However, it was left in campaign (again, rightly so IMO).

I was mostly an observer to Halo 1/2 speed running so someone correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't the patch affect Sword Flying in campaign too?

I distinctly remember people asking how they could remove the patch so they could sword fly again.

The players have spoken

by sorahn ⌂, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 09:30 (3464 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Again, I feel as if this stuff wouldn't be a problem at all if progression and gear weren't on the line.

Thats the real meat of the problem. You can do the raid 50 times and come out with jack shit. People are tired of doing everything for nothing.

This

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 12:44 (3464 days ago) @ sorahn

I don't understand the motivation behind the completely random loot system. I've done the raid around 15 times now, and I only have two pieces of raid armour across three characters to show for it. My friend has completed it twice with one character and he's got a full set.

It's infuriating. For all I know, I might never hit 30, and not for lack of trying. And the fact that I only get one chance every week just adds to my increasing frustration.

If Bungie wanted you to run the raid multiple times for a full set, they could have just added a system where you get the armour after a certain number of completions, or every successful completion grants you some currency/materiel you can buy raid armour with.

Right now, there's no feeling of progression. I'm just playing a slot machine on a weekly basis.

This

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:07 (3463 days ago) @ CyberKN

I don't understand the motivation behind the completely random loot system.

How do you not understand it? It's designed to keep you playing the game by making everything you want or want to do take longer. I explained this three years ago.

Right now, there's no feeling of progression. I'm just playing a slot machine on a weekly basis.

But you are playing, and that's all that matters to Activision.

The players have spoken

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 12:51 (3464 days ago) @ sorahn

You can do the raid 50 times and come out with jack shit. People are tired of doing everything for nothing.

That rather depends on whether you're doing the raid for the reward or if you're doing the raid for the challenge, doesn't it?

-- Steve enjoys Destiny more than he thought he would upon first hitting level 20. It's far from perfect, but it's at least as far from the disaster people make it out to be.

The players have spoken

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 13:49 (3464 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I love playing through the Raid just for the enjoyment of it, but it is beyond frustrating to get to the end and see several members of your fireteam awarded sweet gear while you get nothing but some ascendant energy and a ship. It creates feelings of disappointment that tarnish the experience.

The players have spoken

by yakaman, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:06 (3464 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I love playing through the Raid just for the enjoyment of it, but it is beyond frustrating to get to the end and see several members of your fireteam awarded sweet gear while you get nothing but some ascendant energy and a ship. It creates feelings of disappointment that tarnish the experience.

I half expect this is the purpose. You can't have a skinner box without disappointment. You need people to experience 'losing', so that the 'winning' (when it comes) lights up all the right areas of the brain.

I actually mean this in the least cynical way possible.

The players have spoken

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:09 (3464 days ago) @ yakaman

I half expect this is the purpose. You can't have a skinner box without disappointment. You need people to experience 'losing', so that the 'winning' (when it comes) lights up all the right areas of the brain.

I actually mean this in the least cynical way possible.

I do think this same thing could be accomplished though with a guaranteed piece of Raid armor, but it is always random. You'll still be disappointed when you get the same piece 3 times in a row, but not nearly as annoyed as when you only get shards over and over. Not to mention your chances will be much higher for getting the gear you do need.

The players have spoken

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:10 (3463 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:19

The only disappointment you ever had in Halo was when you failed to perform. If you mess up, it's on you. That's how it should be. If you play well and succeed, you were never disappointed. Failure should be (or at least FEEL) entirely on the shoulders of the player. Failing because a RNG didn't go your way sucks.

The problem is that you can be disappointed even if you play amazingly and everybody beats the raid on hard in 27 minutes and doesn't die once. Oh a sparrow and shards? OK.

I have said and will continue to say that rewards ruin, rather than enhance, games.

However when there is a reward involved, this alters the ability of the player to enjoy the moment to moment pleasure of the game, simply because now instead of focusing on the present, the player has to focus on future. If you are driven to play because of that reward, this shift prevents the player from merely enjoying the present moment on its own, since the expectation is now that the present moment carries later on a future reward.

Miffed you didn't get raid gear? Seems to be exactly what's going on it this thread :-p

The players have spoken

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:32 (3464 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I agree with this. The raid is fun on its own, no question. But it's also a significant effort and time commitment, and it does seem like there ought to be SOME guarantee of something tangible from an activity like that.

I like the idea of having a separate currency/vendor. Borderlands 2 did something like that with a currency that only dropped from raid bosses, and special items that could only be purchased with that currency. Come to think of it, most of the rest of Destiny works like that - look at the legendaries you can get from the tower vendors (even exotics once a week). They could do something similar with the raid, keep the current random drops but just add the new currency/vendor. Again, that's the way the rest of the game works right now - all those legendaries the faction vendors sell can also be found as random drops.

If Bungie REALLY feels the need to limit how often we can acquire that raid gear, they could lower the random drop rate so that the overall rate of people getting things stays roughly the same (this is where all that glorious data we hear about comes in) - but because you'd be building that currency each time you raid, there'd still be a sense of progression for those who don't get the drops, and after X number of runs they could still get something they worked for. It seems to me like this would be less frustrating.

The players have spoken

by yakaman, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:04 (3464 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)
edited by yakaman, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:09

You can do the raid 50 times and come out with jack shit. People are tired of doing everything for nothing.

That rather depends on whether you're doing the raid for the reward or if you're doing the raid for the challenge, doesn't it?

-- Steve enjoys Destiny more than he thought he would upon first hitting level 20. It's far from perfect, but it's at least as far from the disaster people make it out to be.

Yeah. I've been pretty vocal about some of my disappointment, but I have to admit that it's been fun and rewarding for the most part. Maybe the most telling: I haven't been able to stop playing.

Right around 24-26 it seemed like I was stuck getting nothing, stuck without any hope of leveling, and then -BOOM- all of a sudden I was 28. And since then it's been 2 steps forward, 2 steps back as I upgraded stuff only to find other stuff I liked better. Hence, my drooling addiction to Ascendant Shards.

It helps that I'm in finally in love with my gear:
- Heart of the Praxic Fire - Exotic Armor let's me spam solar grenades, and pretty to boot
- Crypt Dweller SR1 - Legendary Scout Rifle that causes targets to explode on head shot
- Plan C - Exotic Fusion Rifle that bails me out
- The Swarm - Legendary Machine Gun that absolutely destroys in PvE and PvP

Are there warts? Sure. But I've found that I really enjoy bopping in for the Daily, dinking around on Patrol until a Public Event hits, and I especially love hammering through the Vanguard Tiger playlist over and over. It's pretty rewarding mashing through baddies with randoms, especially when the group gels a little. I've found randoms to be surprisingly pleasant to play with.

I think there are about (EDIT) 4 sources of frustration:

1.) Story issues (understood, granted, and well-discussed)
2.) Level progression (lack thereof, especially in the 24-26 doldrums)
3.) End-game content completion (nothing left to accomplish)
4.) (EDIT) Crucible wonkiness

I've played a ton of Destiny, and I'm pretty amazed that people have played through so much already. I still haven't completed a Nightfall, and have only made it to Atheon in the Raid once.

The players have spoken

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:39 (3464 days ago) @ yakaman

I still haven't completed a Nightfall

This week's is fairly easy if you go slow, bring void weapons, and are willing to cheese the boss. In this case, cheesing means hiding in a hole and shooting out at him whenever he (briefly) stops lobbing void bombs at you. On a normal strike, the cheese method takes forever and actually doesn't help that much, but because of the void burn on this nightfall you can kill him in a not terribly long amount of time.

I'd be willing to help if you're on one of the XBox platforms.

The players have spoken

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:58 (3464 days ago) @ stabbim

This week's is fairly easy if you go slow, bring void weapons, and are willing to cheese the boss. In this case, cheesing means hiding in a hole and shooting out at him whenever he (briefly) stops lobbing void bombs at you. On a normal strike, the cheese method takes forever and actually doesn't help that much, but because of the void burn on this nightfall you can kill him in a not terribly long amount of time.

I'd like to do it, too.

The players have spoken

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 15:58 (3464 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd like to do it, too.

I don't know what a Nightfall is. But I want to do it. :D

Silly lvl23s...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 30, 2014, 16:04 (3464 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

;)

It's a Strike on lvl28 with some wacky modifiers, like damage boost to particular elements and unflinching enemies on top of the usual "more and more aggressive enemies".

It is the same Strike as the Weekly and gives out a until-the-next-week-reset bonus to experience gains as well as a shot at great loot. As with Weekly Strikes and Daily Missions, payouts only happen once per event.

It unlocks at lvl26, I think.

Silly lvl23s...

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 16:41 (3464 days ago) @ ZackDark

Haha, well I guess it'll be a while before I can play it then. Reckon I'll just have to keep playing more Destiny...

OH WELL.

:P

Silly lvl23s...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, October 31, 2014, 09:29 (3463 days ago) @ ZackDark

Actually it unlocks at level 25...but you will NEED two 28-30's to carry you if you try it that early. I speak from experience as last night I did just that with one of my alts. It was PAINFUL. At lvl25 on the Nightfall, even the Dregs will occasionally 1-shot you! :P

Silly lvl23s...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 31, 2014, 23:49 (3462 days ago) @ ZackDark

There is one more important modifier, the Nightfall skull. That one means that if your entire team dies, you all get sent back to orbit. If you're soloing, that means no checkpoints and no respawns.

::facepalm::

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, November 01, 2014, 05:53 (3462 days ago) @ stabbim

And of course I forget the most important one...

Yeah, if all the team dies, like with checkpoints, you have 3~4 seconds to fix it (Radiance self-revival is the way to go) or you'll get sent back to orbit.

The players have spoken

by sorahn ⌂, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:53 (3464 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Don't get me wrong, I totally enjoy playing destiny. The first few times I did the raid it was for the challenge. Now the challenge is over, the raid is on farm mode and the farms are dead.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread