Alternate path across the chasm, or chest #6? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 21:31 (3464 days ago)

There are a number of areas on the Chasm that I haven't heard much about. I believe there are seven chests to be found in the vault, and often wondered about the Vex portal in the distance right before the Vault room. Turns out you actually can go there through the cave on the left when you first walk in, which makes me wonder about how exactly you could trigger a chest to spawn there, as it's the most obvious spot...

Once you trigger the platforms, they start spawning away from the gate, so the idea was that your team HAS a way to get back from that point, which means that it's not just random or unplanned...

You can actually walk almost to the very bottom of the pits, wish you could explore further down there...

Maybe you can go back after killing Atheon?

Maybe if you run through the Trials of Kabr before you head here?

Maybe you have to make it through the maze without getting spotted once?

Alternate path across the chasm, or chest #6?

by Lekku, Canada, Friday, October 31, 2014, 06:00 (3464 days ago) @ Korny

That is one of the areas that intrigues me most out of the Vault. I've had the same theories on how to make something spawn there but haven't tried any myself and haven't seen anyone who has said that they did try it.

I took that path for the first time this week but didn't see anything over there when I went.

theory

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:26 (3464 days ago) @ Korny

If you stay in the hallway before the gatekeeper fight, the triangle door will stay open. what if you open one (or both) gates and then back track to the portal in the jump puzzle?

theory

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:55 (3464 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Thats not a bad idea. Will try it on Sunday.

theory

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 31, 2014, 08:39 (3464 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

If you stay in the hallway before the gatekeeper fight, the triangle door will stay open. what if you open one (or both) gates and then back track to the portal in the jump puzzle?

But why would they make you hold the door open, then backtrack from a fight in progress? Seems awkward to me.

Vex Portals are often liked to Sync Plates, right? Is there something that looks like a sync plate earlier in the Vault but doesn't seem like it can be activated, at least on first glance?

theory

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, October 31, 2014, 08:56 (3464 days ago) @ RC
edited by Schedonnardus, Friday, October 31, 2014, 08:59

ideas:

• open the vault without praetorians stopping a sync plate
  • defeat templar section without any sacrifices
  • find a hidden sync plate

I have never fully explored the gorgon cave. Is there anything resembling a sync place anywhere in the cave?

EDIT: to get to the 5th chest, you have to complete a task Immediately preceding it: Stop the templar from teleporting. The area immediately preceding the jump puzzle is the gorgon labyrinth. perhaps there is something there. Finding a sync plate, getting through on the first try, killing "x" number of gorgons?

theory

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, October 31, 2014, 10:03 (3464 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

The way some of the chest spawn is directly related to the previous stage (including the measured Stats)

examples:
- 5th Chest: Keep Templar from teleporting, located on way to next puzzle. (Stat for templar teleports)
- Gorgon Chests: Chests close if spotted by the Gorgons. (Stat for times spotted)

Another stat that has my interest peaked is the time spent in the Gorgon maze. I wonder if you need to beat the maze in X amount of time in order to spawn the chest? Or maybe it really just is a Jumping Puzzle?

theory

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, October 31, 2014, 10:19 (3464 days ago) @ unoudid

Or maybe it really just is a Jumping Puzzle?

Maybe you have to complete the jump puzzle without double jumping? They've already shown double jumping mattered with the gorgons. Maybe similar here?

It's probably not possible without double jumping.

theory

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 31, 2014, 13:18 (3464 days ago) @ unoudid

The way some of the chest spawn is directly related to the previous stage (including the measured Stats)

examples:
- 5th Chest: Keep Templar from teleporting, located on way to next puzzle. (Stat for templar teleports)
- Gorgon Chests: Chests close if spotted by the Gorgons. (Stat for times spotted)

Another stat that has my interest peaked is the time spent in the Gorgon maze. I wonder if you need to beat the maze in X amount of time in order to spawn the chest? Or maybe it really just is a Jumping Puzzle?

Maybe you have to kill all the Gorgons, haha (this is actually impossible I believe, I think they take no damage after you kill the first)

theory

by Avateur @, Friday, October 31, 2014, 13:21 (3464 days ago) @ Xenos

Maybe you have to kill all the Gorgons, haha (this is actually impossible I believe, I think they take no damage after you kill the first)

I agree that it sounds impossible. You actually can kill more than one! We've managed to kill two in a row, but the third I think we only got down to near half health before we all died.

theory

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 31, 2014, 13:27 (3464 days ago) @ Xenos

They get stronger with each one you kill.

I was once in a group that managed to kill two after one guy became invincible to them (probably due to networking issues on his end). I wanted to keep going to see how many we could actually kill like this but, the Fireteam Leader returned us to orbit because he was sick of dying to them :(

theory

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 31, 2014, 10:10 (3464 days ago) @ RC

But why would they make you hold the door open, then backtrack from a fight in progress? Seems awkward to me.

Do it after Atheon is dead. I think you can open to the door out of the vault at any time by standing near it.

Alternate path across the chasm, or chest #6?

by Kahzgul, Friday, October 31, 2014, 10:38 (3464 days ago) @ Korny

I've gone to this portal and explored the alt path. Here are my notes:

At the start of the jumping puzzle (when you can first see it), the entrance to the alt path tunnel is in the wall to your left, a little bit above you. It's kinda hard to see, but you can easily double jump to it.

Run through the path and the tunnel just ends. If you stand at the very edge of the tunnel and look down, there's a tiny rock outcropping you can see. Fall to this ledge.

Jump around the wall to the left. It's pretty easy to see where the next outcropping is each time. NOTE: One of the outcroppings is too steep and you will slide down it. You must be prepared to immediately jump again when you land on this one.

After a couple of jumps, you'll be close enough to a static (non-disappearing) platform in the middle of the chasm to jump to it.

From there, it's a series of 3 disappearing platforms to the entrance to Aetheon's lair. BUT:

One of the disappearing platforms is very close to the vex gate. From that platform you can easily reach it.

Also of note, from the vex gate you can jump down the rock it sits on until you could easily jump to the floor of the chasm. But when you hit a certain elevation, you will always die, so you can't actually explore the chasm floor.

gave it a shot yesterday

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, November 01, 2014, 08:30 (3463 days ago) @ Korny

First, we made it through the gorgons on the first try without detection and without killing one, and the gate was off.

When we got to the gate Lord, we opened the portals then went back to the jump puzzle, and saw nothing.

After atheon was dead we tried to open the triangle door with the ghost glitch, and couldn't get it open.

We tried climbing to the top of the atheon room on the walls, and after about 10 mins we all 'succumbed to the darkness' and died.

gave it a shot yesterday

by petetheduck, Saturday, November 01, 2014, 08:56 (3463 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

First, we made it through the gorgons on the first try without detection and without killing one, and the gate was off.

When we got to the gate Lord, we opened the portals then went back to the jump puzzle, and saw nothing.

After atheon was dead we tried to open the triangle door with the ghost glitch, and couldn't get it open.

We tried climbing to the top of the atheon room on the walls, and after about 10 mins we all 'succumbed to the darkness' and died.

If I was designing it, I would set the criteria to:

- Don't get spotted
- Must kill 1 Gorgon

Who knows, maybe the criteria is to kill them all

gave it a shot yesterday

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, November 01, 2014, 13:23 (3463 days ago) @ petetheduck

What happens if you snipe/rocket a gorgon from the spawn area? Will you automatically get marked, or does it have to be close enough to spot you?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread