Dark Below Preview video (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 19:44 (3439 days ago)

Dark Below Preview video

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 19:52 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm really looking forward to this! And those multiplayer maps look really interesting too. Can't believe it's coming out in two weeks.

Dark Below Preview video

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 19:57 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

Ah yes... One of my least favorite streaming players. Doesn't buffer worth a damn, doesn't give you any indication how much is buffered, stutters and stops throughout the entire video. And that was just SD.

I'm excited for no other reason than it means I'll have more content to work through when I finally get my Xbox One. Also, a lot of sexy new guns. Looks like a lot of variation. I kinda wish some of that, even just a little, would trickle down to the common guns. Everything looks exactly the same otherwise, despite manufacturer origin. I didn't pay it a lot of attention in the Beta, but having spent a lot of time with the Trial the last few days, I'm noticing it a lot now.

As an aside... how the hell do Scout Rifles even work? I mean....
[image]
What exactly is the path from magazine to barrel on these?

Dark Below Preview video

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 24, 2014, 00:41 (3439 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

[image]

Foreword: Anyone reading this, go here and click the thumbnail for a bigger image.

The gun pictured there is a bullpup design, so the firing chamber is farther back than a conventional layout. If you look at the hole the user's thumb would be going through, the rounds are coming up from the mag behind that.

Dark Below Preview video

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, November 24, 2014, 09:58 (3438 days ago) @ stabbim

[image]

Foreword: Anyone reading this, go here and click the thumbnail for a bigger image.

The gun pictured there is a bullpup design, so the firing chamber is farther back than a conventional layout. If you look at the hole the user's thumb would be going through, the rounds are coming up from the mag behind that.

I'd gathered that much, it's just that the magazine (at least the bottom) looks enormous, so it never appeared as though there was enough room for any sort of bullet to travel behind the grip.

Dark Below Preview video

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 24, 2014, 12:04 (3438 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I'd gathered that much, it's just that the magazine (at least the bottom) looks enormous, so it never appeared as though there was enough room for any sort of bullet to travel behind the grip.

considering that its a mid-range rifle, there really isn't enough space for a round to travel up through the grip. unless.....space magic.

Dark Below Preview video

by Quirel, Monday, November 24, 2014, 13:07 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

considering that its a mid-range rifle, there really isn't enough space for a round to travel up through the grip. unless.....space magic.

"Many years of loving craftsmanship went into the design and construction of this brutal tool of mayhem, I hope you can appreciate that. I won’t waste my time trying to explain the loading mechanism to you — your primitive mind could never grasp its complex nature."

Dark Below Preview video

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 24, 2014, 13:10 (3438 days ago) @ Quirel

"Many years of loving craftsmanship went into the design and construction of this brutal tool of mayhem, I hope you can appreciate that. I won’t waste my time trying to explain the loading mechanism to you — your primitive mind could never grasp its complex nature."

I assumed Durandal just teleported rounds into the chamber :-p

+1 :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 24, 2014, 14:28 (3438 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

Dark Below Preview video

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 24, 2014, 14:49 (3438 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I dunno about that. There's no rule that says the round has to remain perfectly horizontal the whole time. Maybe the back end tilts upward and it comes up at a slant.

There are some pretty crazy loading mechanisms out there that involve rounds twisting around and moving along odd paths. Just look at the P90:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iJJYB8AmHew#t=45

(despite the computer animation, the P90 is a real gun, and that's really how it operates)

I get what you're saying. At a glance, the space seems too constrained. But there are ways it could work, even with present-day technology limitations. Also, it might be that centuries of advancement have allowed for smaller bullets.

Dark Below Preview video

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:30 (3438 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Looks like a lot of variation. I kinda wish some of that, even just a little, would trickle down to the common guns. Everything looks exactly the same otherwise, despite manufacturer origin.

I don't know about exactly the same. There is definitely some variation in the look of some of the various common weapons. I think it's intentionally toned down a bit though. It just makes you want those exotic weapons more. :)

Dark Below Preview video

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:52 (3438 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Looks like a lot of variation. I kinda wish some of that, even just a little, would trickle down to the common guns. Everything looks exactly the same otherwise, despite manufacturer origin.

I don't know about exactly the same. There is definitely some variation in the look of some of the various common weapons. I think it's intentionally toned down a bit though. It just makes you want those exotic weapons more. :)

And it should, right? Everything can't be unique.

So... The Dark Below raid is going to be like this?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 20:00 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Dark Below Preview video

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 20:02 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

Yep it looked good. I was more excited about the mention of story and responding to feedback with expansion two though. My feeling is Bungie really is working to address our concerns when they take the time to mention them in a ViDoc type video. Perhaps The Dark Below is too soon after the main game's launch to be fully affected by the feedback they've gotten, but I'm now even more hopeful for House of Wolves. :)

Did I see swordplay on Cosmodrome?

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 21:38 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

That makes me happy.

Dark Below Preview video

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 24, 2014, 00:42 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the graphical effect on Eris' face.

Isn't SKYSHOCK a codeword for a payload in the Grimoire?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 24, 2014, 03:37 (3439 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Found it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 24, 2014, 03:54 (3439 days ago) @ ZackDark

Ghost Fragment: Old Russia

/Acknowledge human verification request. The words are RIGOR, APEX, SKYSHOCK. I will repeat the payload status now: RIGOR, APEX, SKYSHOCK.

Yes, it's RIGOR. Yes, I believe that's correct. Yes, it is, uh, it is an antimatter payload, a strategic asset. Specifically? Ah, I believe it's an annihilation-pumped caedometric weapon.

You missed the big ones. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:44 (3438 days ago) @ ZackDark

Ghost Fragment: Darkness

V113NNI070XMX001 SECRET HADAL INSTANT
AI-COM/RSPN: SOLSECCENT//SxISR//DEEPSPACE
CONTACT CONTACT CONTACT
TRANSIENT. NULLSOURCE. NULLTYPE.

This is a SKYSHOCK ALERT.

Multiple distributed ISR assets report a TRANSIENT NEAR EXTRASOLAR EVENT. Event duration ZERO POINT THREE SECONDS. Event footprint includes sterile neutrino scattering and gravity waves. Omnibus analysis detects deep structure information content (nine sigma) and internal teleonomy.

No hypothesis on event mechanism (FLAG ACAUSAL). Bootstrap simulation suggests event is DIRECTED and INIMICABLE (convergent q-Bayes/Monte Carlo probability approaches 1).

No hypothesis on deep structure encoding (TCC/NP-HARD).

Source blueshift suggests IMMINENT SOLAR ENTRY.

Promote event to SKYSHOCK: OCP: EXTINCTION. Activate VOLUSPA. Activate YUGA. Cauterize public sources to SECURE ISIS and harden for defensive action.

I am invoking CARRHAE WHITE and assuming control of solar defenses.

STOP STOP STOP V113NNI070XMX091

You missed the big ones. :)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:48 (3438 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"AI-COM/RSPN"

Rasputin?

Yep.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:18 (3438 days ago) @ stabbim

As a side note, who names their defense AI "Rasputin"?! Was "Skynet" already taken or something? :p

Yep.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:22 (3438 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As a side note, who names their defense AI "Rasputin"?! Was "Skynet" already taken or something? :p

Someone who wants something hard to destroy. Apparently it worked.

can someone embed the video?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 24, 2014, 06:20 (3438 days ago) @ Kermit

game informer is blocked here at work, and i don't see it on their youtube channel.

If it can't be embedded, i'll just watch it at home tonight.

thanks.

Nope.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:31 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

If they did have it up on YouTube it would be preferable. At this time it really is exclusive to the page it's embedded in.

All you need to know is my post though. ;)

can someone embed the video?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:51 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

It's not on their youtube channel regardless--at least it wasn't last night when I was trying to watch this on my console.

I would've embedded it if I could've.

Just got posted on Youtube

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, November 24, 2014, 11:15 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

thanks!

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 24, 2014, 12:07 (3438 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Local versions, too.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, November 24, 2014, 12:29 (3438 days ago) @ Xenos

Local versions, too.

by Xyl, Monday, November 24, 2014, 12:50 (3438 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Many thanks, Claude.

Item screens for review

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:18 (3438 days ago) @ Kermit

Found this via Reddit, all the items captured:

http://imgur.com/a/2xOdb

LOT'S of primary's with elemental damage....

Things I noticed:

"Murmur" has BOTH Arc and Solar damage, apparently can be chosen at will(?)

"Necrocasm" is a primary Auto Rifle with Arc damage and something other than Kinetic: a fist holding a bullet(?)

"No Land Beyond" is a primary Sniper with Kinetic and some unknown second damage type; looks like a headshot multiplier/advantage(?)

"Oversoul Edict" is a primary pulse rifle with Arc damage

"Word Of Crota" is a primary Handcannon with VOID damage and a 12 round mag!

Item screens for review

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:27 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

My titan NEEDS those Ruin Wings gauntlets.

-Disciple

Item screens for review

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:30 (3438 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

My titan NEEDS those Ruin Wings gauntlets.

-Disciple

My warlock needs that Obsidian Mind helm.

-Every Voidwalker

Item screens for review

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:38 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

"Necrocasm" is a primary Auto Rifle with Arc damage and something other than Kinetic: a fist holding a bullet(?)

Maybe it's related to melee somehow? Increased melee speed when doing damage or something? Seems like an increase to melee would be useful against hive thralls.

"No Land Beyond" is a primary Sniper with Kinetic and some unknown second damage type; looks like a headshot multiplier/advantage(?)

http://www.destinydb.com/items/2681212685-no-land-beyond#1.MmuVjaB8

It's a primary sniper rifle.

"Oversoul Edict" is a primary pulse rifle with Arc damage

http://www.destinydb.com/items/868574327-oversoul-edict#1.MMdkgaT8
It also allows you to ignore the hive knight shields.

Cascade

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, November 24, 2014, 09:13 (3438 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Maybe it's related to melee somehow? Increased melee speed when doing damage or something? Seems like an increase to melee would be useful against hive thralls.

It's an existing perk (my 77 Wizards have it). "Cascade: Melee kills increase the reload speed of this weapon for a short time."

Looks like a Skedar weapon from Perfect Dark

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, November 24, 2014, 09:18 (3438 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Looks to me like a hand holding a knife, so that implies increased melee damage I bet, maybe akin to the BruteShot in Halo 2, how it did increased melee damage compared to others.

Nice to see some variety on damage types.

Item screens for review

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, November 24, 2014, 10:04 (3438 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

"http://www.destinydb.com/items/2681212685-no-land-beyond#1.MmuVjaB8

It's a primary sniper rifle."

If you read the description of that perk, it says "...may be equipped in the primary weapon slot". It says "MAY", not "IS", which to me implies an option.

Do you think it's possible that we "can" equip it in the traditional spot for snipers, as a Special?

Item screens for review

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 24, 2014, 08:45 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

Certainly looks that way. The green circle around the arc icon suggests that it's selectable. Solar damage, then, is currently selected in this screenshot, and the weapon shows up as solar.

Wait, a primary? If there's evidence of that in the screenshot, I'm not seeing it. But I want to believe. I'm actually terrible with sniper rifles in Destiny, but this one seems to have iron sights so I think my results might be better.

Also of note: Some of these weapons have an icon in their upgrade path right where the "oracle disruptor" icon would be on VoG weapons. I'm assuming those are raid weapons from Crota's End.

Item screens for review

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, November 24, 2014, 09:52 (3438 days ago) @ stabbim

Certainly looks that way. The green circle around the arc icon suggests that it's selectable. Solar damage, then, is currently selected in this screenshot, and the weapon shows up as solar.

Wait, a primary? If there's evidence of that in the screenshot, I'm not seeing it. But I want to believe. I'm actually terrible with sniper rifles in Destiny, but this one seems to have iron sights so I think my results might be better.

Also of note: Some of these weapons have an icon in their upgrade path right where the "oracle disruptor" icon would be on VoG weapons. I'm assuming those are raid weapons from Crota's End.

All Special and Heavy weapons have text saying "Special/Heavy weapons use green/purple ammo...", whereas No Land Beyond does not.

Also, it has been said that the second damage-type-indicator is to show it is a primary sniper, though I don't know of the precedence for that conclusion.

Second symbol looks like "Hip Fire" to me

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 06:04 (3436 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Necrogasm!

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 24, 2014, 09:55 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

I declare this the one true name of this item, and henceforth shall only refer to it as such!

Ruin Wings look totally badass

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 18:20 (3437 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

We're doing something new... Strike + story

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 24, 2014, 09:58 (3438 days ago) @ Kermit

It's great that the strike is integrated into the story!

It's sad that this is "new" to this game. Baby steps, I guess, but I hope Bungie is etching this is stone next to the "30 seconds of fun" edict: Story matters. Loot alone is not enough reason to play.

Agreed.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 24, 2014, 10:00 (3438 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

We're doing something new... Strike + story

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, November 24, 2014, 14:27 (3438 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I thought the exact same thing when he said that. On my first play through, I really expected the strikes to be the final chapter of each planet's part of the story instead of just unrelated side missions with slightly more difficult boss fights than usual.

I'm looking forward to seeing them tie everything together this time around.

-Disciple

Embed

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 24, 2014, 10:12 (3438 days ago) @ Kermit

Not sure how to embed it, but it's on youtube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6saWAcGizxU&feature=youtu.be

Embed

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, November 24, 2014, 11:23 (3438 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Not sure how to embed it, but it's on youtube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6saWAcGizxU&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for that. The GameInformer player wouldn't go past 6 seconds for me after 10 tries reloading over the course of the morning!

to embed, you take the video string (seen after ?v=, so in this case just 6saWAcGizxU) and put that between youtube opening and closing tags.

[youtube]6saWAcGizxU[/youtube]

That should turn into something like this:

Looks pretty damn tasty!

by yakaman, Monday, November 24, 2014, 10:50 (3438 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

is Jen Taylor Eris?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 24, 2014, 12:08 (3438 days ago) @ Kermit

some of the lines sound like her, others kinda don't.

is Jen Taylor Eris?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 24, 2014, 14:57 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I thought back to Jen Taylor while watching that & wondered when/if they would use her for Destiny. Maybe there's a reason I thought that.

Jen's already in

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, November 24, 2014, 15:05 (3438 days ago) @ dogcow

She's the computer in the Ishtar Collective's vault, the one who keeps talking to Dr. Shen. I think she also does some of the announcements in the Tower.

-- Steve'd love to hear Tim Dadabo return at some point.

Jen's already in

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 08:10 (3437 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

She's the computer in the Ishtar Collective's vault, the one who keeps talking to Dr. Shen. I think she also does some of the announcements in the Tower.

-- Steve'd love to hear Tim Dadabo return at some point.

yeah, i knew she was already in the game, but the AI is done with an accent, and the tower announcements are background filler. There are some lines from Eris that really sound like her, and others that do not. Would be nice to have her in the game in a substantial way. Hopefully, as the series progresses, the other voice talent will get used more as well.

Dark Below Preview video

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, November 27, 2014, 15:15 (3435 days ago) @ Kermit

It's amazing how they can convey so little, aside from some weapon and armor traits which I couldn't see clearly watching normally, and I can be lacking the money, time, and interest to get the DLC, and they can still get me kind of excited.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread