interesting Blind Watch Strategy (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 09:08 (3438 days ago)

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2ndqmv/the_real_problem_with_blind_watch/

The Gist:

If you spawn at C, cap C and B.

If you spawn at A, leave it alone and go all in on C. By the time you get to C, they will have moved on to B. Once you get C, that leaves them with only B. Some of them will most likely stay at B, but if they have any randoms (or idiots), the team will splinter off to the "easy" cap at A. You then hit B hard, and now you have control of B and C.

interesting Blind Watch Strategy

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 09:22 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Yep. That's what our Iron Banner team was doing. It's still a shame that A basically has no value. :(

interesting Blind Watch Strategy

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 11:10 (3437 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yep. That's what our Iron Banner team was doing. It's still a shame that A basically has no value. :(

It does have value. It locks the other team into a losing position. :P

What we have is a game that is about controlling territories, but there is one territory nobody wants. It might be dumb, but at least it's a twist on the gametype.

Mabye it's genius

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 11:43 (3437 days ago) @ bluerunner

Bungie has effectively made it so a team that communicates and avoids A should always win?

Mabye it's genius

by petetheduck, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 11:46 (3437 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Bungie has effectively made it so a team that communicates and avoids A should always win?

Watching a random on my team capture A makes me wish friendly fire was enabled.

FF on A

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 12:51 (3437 days ago) @ petetheduck

When some pug on my team is capping A I'll stand outside it, shoot them repeatedly, turn side to side and then point at C. They still don't get it.

This is the strategy that's always been ideal for this map

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 10:04 (3438 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Is there ANY map where A is useful?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 13:36 (3437 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 13:51 (3437 days ago) @ ZackDark

A is just as good to have as C on Twilight Gap. I think A is fine on First Light. You may as well take A if you're near it on Bastion.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 13:53 (3437 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A is just as good to have as C on Twilight Gap. I think A is fine on First Light. You may as well take A if you're near it on Bastion.

And Point A is the key to Firebase Delphi; you rarely win without that easy route to B from the side and above.

by Durandal, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 14:18 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I think First Light and Bastion are the only maps where there isn't an imbalance between the spawns. I also hate that on Blind Watch if you hold B and C they will periodically spawn you at A.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 14:20 (3437 days ago) @ Durandal

I also hate that on Blind Watch if you hold B and C they will periodically spawn you at A.

This right here...it rustles my jimmies.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 14:39 (3437 days ago) @ Durandal

That's probably because the other team is madly scrambling everywhere else, trying to get their spawn fixed.

by Monochron, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:27 (3437 days ago) @ Durandal

Surrounded by enemies often to. On the whole though, I have warmed up a bit to Blind Watch. Moving around the playspace is fun, especially when your team has good map control.

Firebase Delphi?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 14:27 (3437 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

100% agreed.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 20:56 (3437 days ago) @ someotherguy

On Delphi, A is the key to B, and then on towards victory. Also, the window between B and C is a kill zone. Never go through it.

Rusted Lands?

by R41, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 14:58 (3437 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

What is the strategy for Rusted Lands?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 15:04 (3437 days ago) @ R41

Kind of not the topic, but this started as a Blind Watch strategy thread so whatever.

What's the best strategy for rusted lands? I played that map 30 times in the last week and I still don't understand what points to hold or how to defend them.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 15:33 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I think B is the pivotal point, because holding it down grants you easy access to A and C every spawn, as opposed to the analogous.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 15:43 (3437 days ago) @ ZackDark

I think B is the pivotal point, because holding it down grants you easy access to A and C every spawn, as opposed to the analogous.

The problem I run into is that almost every game I play, the points switch constantly. Holding A seems important because it has the best heavy access, but I think it also has the worst Spawn. B and C seem more defensible, but you cannot lose one close to the heavy ammo drop or your team likely won't get the heavy. It's hard to hold B for long from either point; I've won and lost games holding A or C, and I've never really figured out which is better to hold.

This could come down to an excellent balance on the map, but my k/d is by far at its worst on this map, and I chalk that up to a strategic failure on my part.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:10 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

My gut feeling is that A is worse to be in if the other team holds both B and C, because you can at least branch out in those ruins when attacking B from C.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:19 (3437 days ago) @ ZackDark

My gut feeling is that A is worse to be in if the other team holds both B and C, because you can at least branch out in those ruins when attacking B from C.

I'm inclined to agree with you because of that balcony over B on the C side, plus the sniper's alley going from B to A; but I've lost numerous games in that position as well. Here's a great example from reddit of a team that appears to be crushing while holding B and C nearly the entire game (the excellent play of the poster may be masking for what looks like one player dropping, but it appears they play well and the game is close). The cost of holding B just ends up being too high for this team, I think; they were constantly nuked down at B, and didn't get the better of trades. But this definitely seems like the way to play this map, so why does it always end up being so close?

I really don't get the meta for this map.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:28 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

They wouldn't get so nuked if they had some people back at the wall. That place is great for sniper coverage, as long as there are people on the ground to call out radar movement.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:33 (3437 days ago) @ ZackDark

They wouldn't get so nuked if they had some people back at the wall. That place is great for sniper coverage, as long as there are people on the ground to call out radar movement.

They certainly didn't play a perfect game, I'll agree with you there. But if you played this well on Blind watch at B and C, or on shores of time at B and C, I think you'd win, and it wouldn't be this close. Generally, with most maps, the key to strategy is holding the two points that give you a position of strength, to funnel enemies into one spawn; that's what gives you the best win probability. Maybe it's the way the multiple paths to B are set up, but at Rusted Lands, you don't need B and C to give you the best chance to win, and that's what gives me fits, I think.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 18:11 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I seem to be in the minority here, but I like holding A & C. It allows one guy to watch both control points and happens to be the way this happened.

-Disciple

Heavy Ammo

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 06:07 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Isn't there a pretty convenient heavy ammo drop behind B?

Heavy Ammo

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 07:47 (3437 days ago) @ rliebherr

Yes, but if B is being fought over quite a bit you may not be able to get to it easily. Especially compared to A.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:16 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

B and C are great on Rusted Lands. Very quick access to and from each other (at exactly the right distance for a shoulder charge) and neither has a roof so you can rain grenades/supers.

B & C are my favorites

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:45 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Easy access to heavy ammo is great. Plus I can sniper down from the back of B in the ruins in both directions. If C starts getting taken over an easy grenade/nova bomb cleans up the space quickly.

B & C are my favorites

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:50 (3437 days ago) @ unoudid

Easy access to heavy ammo is great. Plus I can sniper down from the back of B in the ruins in both directions. If C starts getting taken over an easy grenade/nova bomb cleans up the space quickly.

I have wondered if my personal struggles in this map come down to playstyle; I do not snipe (I am nots the good at it) and in general prefer 1 on 1 encounters and locations where I can generate them. Tight spaces are my jam. This map doesn't have many, and there are alternated routes to those that do exist.

I think as ZackDark and I were agreeing elsewhere in this thread, B and C definitely appear ideal. And my limited experience with this map could be an outlier (it is a great map, I just don't get it).

B & C are my favorites

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:56 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I have wondered if my personal struggles in this map come down to playstyle; I do not snipe (I am nots the good at it) and in general prefer 1 on 1 encounters and locations where I can generate them. Tight spaces are my jam. This map doesn't have many, and there are alternated routes to those that do exist.

So you would be better at holding A instead.

I'm a fan of longer range fights personally. It's been my playstyle for years in FPS games. With that said... I loved me some Grifball.

B & C are my favorites

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 16:58 (3437 days ago) @ unoudid

I'm a fan of longer range fights personally. It's been my playstyle for years in FPS games. With that said... I loved me some Grifball.

When the hell do we get a sword game? I saw that thing again in one of the dark below videos and now it's all I think about.

Play Well.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 18:14 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 20:55 (3437 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Rusted lands has choke points that aren't on the actual control zones, making it unique in the world of Destiny.

The water tower between A and C offers an excellent vantage of attachers from C or people moving between B and A. If you hold A, holding the water tower is critical.

Similarly, behind B is a sniper's dream... a choke point that can hit enemies attacking from A or from C with great range and easy sighting, while keeping you in higher ground and slightly more protected than you would be if you were on an even playing field. A good sniper in this corner will not be able to hold B by herself, but will be able to rack up loads of kills and - hopefully - delay the taking of B long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

If you hold point C, holding the walkway near the water tower between C and A will afford you with an excellent vantage from which to rain fire on your enemies as well, and you can kill them at any of the three access points to the middle run area. Bonus: The geometry of A makes it unlikely that enemies entering your field of view from point A will be facing you, increasing your odds of winning in a 1 v 1 gunfight.

Beyond scoring loads of kills in these chokepoints, it's important to recognize than none of the control zones on Rusted Lands are easy to defend. They all have multiple access points from a variety of elevations, and it's far too easy to sneak up on a defender inside one of the zones. My advice is to either hold these choke points or to constantly be on the offensive.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread