Probably didn't need to purchase exotic shards (Destiny)

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 12:16 (3448 days ago)

Last week: Had 80+ coins, so bought 2 exotic shards from Xur.... why not, right?

Yesterday: Turned in quests to receive new thorn and new invective. Dismantled old invective -> 2 exotic shards. Hmm...

With a handful of old exotics to break down, duplicate exotics being found, and multiple shards from dismantle, we might never need to buy shards. One or two extra on hand might be ok, but don't go crazy!

This stuff really depends on your situation

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 12:22 (3448 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I know a lot of us here on the forum play the game quite a bit, but there are more casual players on this forum that will probably need to buy them. If you only have two exotics it wouldn't make sense to dismantle one of them. It really just comes down to your resources. I definitely agree with your point but for different reasons. If it is a concern, only buy shards when you're about to upgrade, and don't by shards in advance of that upgrade to stockpile.

Probably didn't need to purchase exotic shards

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 12:33 (3448 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

The gun that you dismantled, was it fully upgraded, or close to it?

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked like it does with other items when you break them down.

For example, I break down an unleveled legendary weapon, and I get 2 energies out of it.

I break down that exact same legendary weapon, fully leveled, and I get 6-8 energies out of it.

Tip: Need more plasteel or weapon parts (oh who am I kidding, we have tons of that shit)? Well don't trash those green and blue engrams right away! Equip them before you turn in a bounty, and then upgrade those items, and THEN trash them and you'll eeek out an extra plasteel or weapon part etc.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 12:38 (3448 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked like it does with other items when you break them down.

For example, I break down an unleveled legendary weapon, and I get 2 energies out of it.

I break down that exact same legendary weapon, fully leveled, and I get 6-8 energies out of it.

That's like selling a used car and expecting above the retail value because you invested parts into it over the years.

The way you should see it is that you were paying to improve the weapon, and using it as an investment. That you get any Energy back is something you should be thankful for. Otherwise, you could max out any weapon and simply shard it when you found a better one. New Energy or Shards would be irrelevant. You'd have a whole slew early on.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 13:01 (3447 days ago) @ Korny

That's like selling a used car and expecting above the retail value because you invested parts into it over the years.

The way you should see it is that you were paying to improve the weapon, and using it as an investment. That you get any Energy back is something you should be thankful for. Otherwise, you could max out any weapon and simply shard it when you found a better one. New Energy or Shards would be irrelevant. You'd have a whole slew early on.

Yeah, but you're missing what I'm saying: I wouldn't advertise to people that if they break down ANY of their existing exotics (for whatever reason) that they are guaranteed to get 2 or more shards out of it- more like if you break down one that you didn't level up vs one that you did, it affects what you get out of it.

Example::

I have two Invectives: one is fully leveled, and one is not because I just got it from a random drop, whatever. I shard both of them, because I got a new bounty or I just don't like them anymore, whatever.

The one that was maxed gives me 2 shards.

The one that was bare gives me 1 shard.

Make sense? This way you have an idea what to expect when you are breaking something down- it's proportional to what you invested in it (not by much, mind you, as you dump 18 energies in to a legendary weapon, but you'll only get like 6 back if you trash it).

Reminds me a lot of the economy in Halo Wars, actually. Gotta be careful what you self destruct!

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 13:38 (3447 days ago) @ Revenant1988

My invective was fully leveled, yes. I was only expecting one shard, but happy to have two.

I guess my main point was that others might get the feeling about Xur that I do: "I'd better stock up on shards because he's only here once a week!" Maybe buy one or two shards, but don't go crazy and buy lots because you might get two per dismantle.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, December 11, 2014, 07:25 (3447 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

ive got a vault full of exotics i never leveled up, plus an extra ice breaker and truth, and now i'm working on duplicate bounties for 3 of them.

I plan on buying the upgrades for my unleveled ice breaker and truth, so that i can use my old maxed out ones in the mean time. Then when the duplicates are at the new max, ill ditch the old ones.

Once i get my duplicate bounties done, I'll shard the old ones to upgrade the new ones.

From here on out, I am not going to go crazy about buying exotics from Xur, unless it is something really unique that will help me out. Now that i now that every 3 months what i buy will be obsolete, I'm going to spend my strange coins a little more sparingly.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread