Patrol-as-quests is how this game should always have been (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, December 11, 2014, 16:17 (3455 days ago)

The Dark Below has added a thing which is actually what we were promised before the game launched: Patrol Quests! There are three (that I've seen) where you have to go to Earth, find a specific guy (or group of guys), and do something very much like a boss fight or scripted strike event. This is EXACTLY what I've wanted from Destiny, and it's how I wish the whole game played. I feel like I'm just doing my normal patrol, and - oh man - I'm totally going to go kill the Eyes of Crota! Having more scripted quests like this makes Patrol more interesting... I now think of my bounties and quests more as "tickets" to a fun ride. If only getting into Strikes worked this way, too... Start in Patrol mode, and then wander into the strike area and *presto* you're now in a strike with only your trusty Fireteam to back you up.

This is a huge step in the right direction for Destiny and I really hope they redesign the matchmaking / strikes / and even story missions to all play out using Patrol as your hub for adventure, and bounty / quest tickets as your guides for where to go next. it's doable, and it would be fantastic, lending a much more organic feel to the whole game.

Also, doing this would make me feel like the journey was part of the fun, and I think I'd not mind at all if every mission started me at the same spawn point.

If you haven't done the Eyes, Hand, Heart of Crota missions yet, do them! They're really fun, and the implementation is sooooo satisfying. I suggest doing them spoiler-free, also. It was fun to discover it all on my own.

Easily one of the high points of the DLC

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, December 11, 2014, 16:34 (3455 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hopefully the Urn quest involving Xur tomorrow is something similar.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, December 11, 2014, 17:21 (3455 days ago) @ CyberKN

Hopefully the Urn quest involving Xur tomorrow is something similar.

Nope. It'll literally be 'go over and buy this from Xur for me. I need to man my shop. If I move the poor guardians would get all confused. I mean; 2 roaming characters? Unheard of!'

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, December 12, 2014, 06:59 (3455 days ago) @ RC

It WOULD be pretty cool to see her hanging out having arguments with the Speaker or getting orders from Ikora.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread