The Vault of Glass, a victim of Vex timey wimey influence (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Friday, December 12, 2014, 07:25 (3433 days ago)

While Bungie has implemented a somehow more generous loot distribution system that still maintains a heavy random element (?) for Crota's End, no mention has been made of such modifications being applied to the Vault of Glass.

In fact, the Vault of Glass still gives out Exotic weapons that max at 300 Attack.

Has the Vault of Glass become a fixed point in time? Can Bungie not modify it's loot distribution or available loot at all?

The Vault of Glass, a victim of Vex timey wimey influence

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, December 12, 2014, 07:30 (3433 days ago) @ petetheduck

In fact, the Vault of Glass still gives out Exotic weapons that max at 300 Attack.

That's really odd. It would seem to indicate that the VoG has a separate loot pool from the rest of the game.

Has the Vault of Glass become a fixed point in time? Can Bungie not modify it's loot distribution or available loot at all?

Either that, or they simply haven't modified its (apparently separate) loot pool yet. The question is, are they going to?

The Vault of Glass: still handy for shards

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, December 12, 2014, 07:33 (3433 days ago) @ stabbim

You always need [insert currency here]!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 12, 2014, 08:17 (3433 days ago) @ petetheduck

How about a Harder mode on VoG (Level 32)? I'd be fine if the Normal mode on VoG dropped 300 Attack power weapons, but Hard (or Harder) should drop the higher level loot.

Sounds like they are looking at solutions to keep it viable

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, December 12, 2014, 08:26 (3433 days ago) @ dogcow

by petetheduck, Friday, December 12, 2014, 08:57 (3433 days ago) @ dogcow

How about a Harder mode on VoG (Level 32)? I'd be fine if the Normal mode on VoG dropped 300 Attack power weapons, but Hard (or Harder) should drop the higher level loot.

300 attack Exotics should be phased out of the game completely.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:13 (3433 days ago) @ dogcow

I would buy that for legendary weapons, but for exotics it seems odd. Why would the stuff lesser than a raid drop better (or even different at all) exotics than a raid at any level?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:38 (3433 days ago) @ Vortech

Excellent point, I hadn't thought about Exotic drops. Perhaps they should just always be the 'new' version.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:37 (3433 days ago) @ dogcow

This game has so many inconsistencies, which are the result of poorly thought out design. All exotic drops from here on out start at 302 attack… except those in the Vault of Glass. Because that would make getting the new exotics too easy.

Using consumables increases the amount of glimmer you get when you kill enemies… except in the Vault of Glass or a specific section of the Black Garden strike. Because that would make getting glimmer too easy.

The exp you get from bounties is the same as regular exp… except when it comes to the 'Earn 9000 exp without dying' bounty. Bounty exp doesn't count toward this. Because then getting that bounty would be too easy (just turn it in last with a string of others).

The classes special melees count as melee attacks… except the hunter throwing knife. Because then it's be too easy to kill cursed thrall with a melee attack.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:59 (3433 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I didn't know that about VOG glimmer. Is that bungie-confirmed as a design choice? (Yes the bug has been around for a long time but that's not unique…)

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Friday, December 12, 2014, 11:52 (3433 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wait, the throwing knife doesn't count as a melee kill for the Urn quest line? It does on the Vanguard Bounty - Melee Kill 30 Enemies Witout Dying.

Is the Urn exception confirmed, or are you speculating?

I was really counting on using that tactic. How do you melee kill cursed thralls without dying??

EDIT: By the way, I agree with all of your points. The only consistency in the game is that everything is 'fixed' or designed to maximize time spent in game, not maximize enjoyment, or encourage creative thinking for solutions. Everyhting has one solution and we have to play to that solution.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 12, 2014, 12:14 (3433 days ago) @ rliebherr

I was really counting on using that tactic. How do you melee kill cursed thralls without dying??

Be level 30 while the ones you are killing are 26.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 16:10 (3431 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Be level 30 while the ones you are killing are 26.

Fixed that for ya. But yeah, level difference helps. If you have a class/item perk that can do some sort of shielding or health regen on kill/melee hit, that also helps.

Have a Defender handy to overshield you?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 12, 2014, 15:11 (3433 days ago) @ rliebherr

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, December 12, 2014, 21:35 (3433 days ago) @ rliebherr

How do you melee kill cursed thralls without dying??

My strategy: 1) Melee Cursed Thrall. 2) Get blown up. 3)Repeat steps 1 & 2 four more times. 4) Collect all of the quest item drops AFTER you're done getting blown up. 5) Profit.

-Disciple

Either They Forgot, Or Don't Want To.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, December 12, 2014, 09:59 (3433 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Or yet to do it.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:01 (3433 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

I expect VoG will drop tier 2 gear in January

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:40 (3433 days ago) @ petetheduck

They Probably just dont want everyone getting their Tier 2 raid gear from the VoG. They'll want as many people as possible to experience the new Raid first, then when being 32 is more important (January for the Hard raid) they'll let you earn Tier 2 from the VoG so you get twice as many attempts per week.

I hope.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:42 (3433 days ago) @ someotherguy

They Probably just dont want everyone getting their Tier 2 raid gear from the VoG. They'll want as many people as possible to experience the new Raid first, then when being 32 is more important (January for the Hard raid) they'll let you earn Tier 2 from the VoG so you get twice as many attempts per week.

I hope.

They might be waiting as well to make it feel like they're adding content later on when everyone has finished hard on the Crota raid and is waiting for House of Wolves. Then they offer a level 32 VoG and announce it like they've just given a new raid (which it could feel like, if there were significant additions).

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:46 (3433 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I'd love any excuse to get back in the Vault. Everyone in my clan has a Mythoclast except me, but 2 of them refuse to replay the Vault because they won't benefit (even though its a great source of shards/energy)

Means I'm left with PuGs or nothing. If something gave them a reason to start doing it again I'd be thrilled.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:47 (3433 days ago) @ someotherguy

I'd love any excuse to get back in the Vault. Everyone in my clan has a Mythoclast except me, but 2 of them refuse to replay the Vault because they won't benefit (even though its a great source of shards/energy)

Means I'm left with PuGs or nothing. If something gave them a reason to start doing it again I'd be thrilled.

You could always drop a thread here looking for Hard Mode. I think plenty of people here need shards.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:49 (3433 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Always intended to raid with you guys tbh, but then I stumbled into a clan and just started running with them.

Will probably take you up on that advice :)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 12, 2014, 11:03 (3433 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yeah. If I have time I'll run a raid 2 or 3 times a week because it's fun and helps my friends.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 12, 2014, 11:01 (3433 days ago) @ someotherguy

No offense to your entire clan, but what's the point of being in a clan if you don't believe in teamwork?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, December 12, 2014, 21:17 (3433 days ago) @ Vortech

Sadly there's only 6 of us. Which is great for guaranteeing a place in the weekly raids. Terrible if one of them is kind of a selfish jerk (and everyone else we know outside the clan is busy running Crota).

Makes sense.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 12, 2014, 11:25 (3433 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Regarding VoG

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Friday, December 12, 2014, 11:56 (3433 days ago) @ someotherguy

I think the exotics should be fixed, but no other raid drops from VoG.

If Bungie would like Raids to remain relevant after new DLC, they should implement another weekly, monthly, or bounty(ies) that involves the raid.

upping VOG gear makes DLC worthless

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, December 12, 2014, 13:03 (3433 days ago) @ someotherguy

If they upped the level cap on VOG gear, then there would be no need to buy/play Crota. People without DLC would be able to reach the level cap. Right now they tease you by having gear at the vendors that will get you to 31. but if you want to get to 32, you gotta pay real money for the expansion.

i personally would like to see the VOG difficulty upped with better gear, but i don't think that will happen for awhile. They definitely need to up the exotics from the raid. I'm just as likely to get an exotic from a random crucible drop, there i no reason for the VOG to be dropping outdated exotic gear.

upping VOG gear makes DLC worthless

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 12, 2014, 13:29 (3433 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

i personally would like to see the VOG difficulty upped with better gear, but i don't think that will happen for awhile. They definitely need to up the exotics from the raid. I'm just as likely to get an exotic from a random crucible drop, there i no reason for the VOG to be dropping outdated exotic gear.

The more I play, the more I'm finding a lot of exotics in general are outdated. The icebreaker was one of the best guns in the game. I got a Legendary sniper from an engram, that ends up doing only slightly less damage, has higher stability, and doesn't take up an exotic slot. Then you have the Black Hammer which pretty much obsoletes Icebreaker anyway.

Change is coming.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread