Dallas.Bungie.Org LAN Party! (DBO)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 08:56 (3431 days ago)

[image]

After spending many hours this past Tuesday fighting our way into Crota's lair, I managed to get a few hours of sleep before having to head into work the next morning. In my sleep deprived state, driving north on 408 from Midlothian to Las Colinas, my mind was full of thoughts about how much fun I've been having playing Destiny and Halo with you guys and gals over the past year or two and lamenting the fact that I have not yet attended a LAN party with any of y'all.

It's been a while since this community has had a LAN party so I began wondering if anyone was was planning one in the next few months. Then I thought, "hey, wouldn't it be cool if I could host one someday?" Then I thought, "...but I would rather host it at my brother's house since it's bigger than mine." Then I though, "LIGHTBULB!! - My brother and his family are going to be on a cruise for a whole week at the end of March/beginning of April -- I could totally take over his house that week!"

So no more waiting for someone else to organize a party; I've decided we're havin' one a little over three months from now here in centrally located Dallas Texas.

[image]

(Or, more accurately, Midlothian, Texas - 25 miles south of Dallas/Fort Worth)

So here's the important details:

Where: Midlothian, Texas. Midlothian is about 25 minutes from either of the major airports (DFW and Love Field). I am more than happy to help arrange picking people up from the airport and getting them to Midlo.

When: April 2-4, 2015. Officially, the LAN will run from Thursday morning (April 2nd) through Saturday (April 4th), but y'all are more than welcome to show up Wednesday afternoon/night and leave Sunday morning. As long as we've got the place cleaned up and vacated by Sunday afternoon, my brother will never even know we trashed his place!* That Friday is actually Good Friday, so you may even already have the day off from work!

Accommodations: The house has four bedrooms and two living areas, along with an airplane hanger in the backyard that has a guest apartment/office. I figure we can easily have 10-12 people crashing there; if any couples want to come (looking at you Nando/Sammy, Rev/Jackie(sp?)) you would have priority on the bedrooms with the king and queen beds. We also have plenty of air mattresses depending on how popular this is.

Cost: Free! As mentioned above, I anticipate that we will have room for everybody to crash for free in the house, so there will not be any cost to share for sleeping arrangements. Obviously, everybody will be expected to help cover the costs of communal food and drinks, and pay for themselves if we go out anywhere.

Activities: Gaming, eating, and more gaming -- of both the video and board varieties. The airplane hangar I mentioned above actually houses the 5,000+ BoardGameGeek library that is used at BGG.CON, so we have unfettered access to any board game that you can possibly imagine wanting to play. We also have the tech to set up a full Artemis bridge (Artemis is TONS of fun in case you're not already familiar with it). I would be more than happy to show anyone around some of the cool stuff Dallas has to offer if there is interest, but I imagine most of our time will be spent playing Halo, Destiny (I know we can get at least one full fire team working just fine on the internet and I'd be interested to see what the network limit is), Mariokart, etc.

How to sign up: Post here and/or send an email to scottanderson03@gmail.com.

Let me know if you have any questions! I am extremely open to suggestions and advice as well as this is really my first time trying to pull off something like this!

*(Seriously though, I did consult my brother before posting this and he's totally cool with it)

Dallas.Bungie.Org LAN Party!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 09:58 (3431 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The airplane hangar I mentioned above actually houses the 5,000+ BoardGameGeek library that is used at BGG.CON, so we have unfettered access to any board game that you can possibly imagine wanting to play. We also have the tech to set up a full Artemis bridge (Artemis is TONS of fun in case you're not already familiar with it).

...I'm pretty sure you just described heaven. I've just been sitting here in awe haha - I wouldn't know where to begin!

Indeed

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, December 14, 2014, 12:35 (3431 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Mad jelly of the hangar

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 18:13 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

You have my attention. Bookmarked.

- CC I'll have a better idea whether I can attend or not once the new year rolls around.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 18:41 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by Revenant1988, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 18:55

Glad to see someone is stepping up to host one for next year.

However, all our funds for next year are spoken for due to our pending wedding, so unless we win the lottery we'll likely miss this one :(

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 05:49 (3430 days ago) @ Revenant1988

However, all our funds for next year are spoken for due to our pending wedding, so unless we win the lottery we'll likely miss this one :(

What better place to get married than AT a DBO LAN party?!! ;-)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:13 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

What better place to get married than AT a DBO LAN party?!! ;-)

We may have talked about that....but the "normals" wouldn't understand.

My goal in life now is to just get a house and LAN all the time.

Also locks on the front doors so Paddy can't just walk in like he own the place :D

Hold on to yer 360's kids!

Also, maybe by Destiny 2 we'll have local play options and -gasp- parties greater than 6!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:28 (3430 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Yeah, I'm picturing your parents knocking on the front door while we're all gaming so they can at least witness the wedding and then we all take a two hour break while Kermit (the recently-ordained-online-minister) performs the ceremony and then we get back to the pizza/oreos and Halo 2. I guess that would be a little awkward.

Also locks on the front doors so Paddy can't just walk in like he own the place :D

Speaking of Paddy - did I miss something? I haven't seen him around here in a while, and was kind of hoping to read his report on this party if we manage to pull it off.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:46 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Speaking of Paddy - did I miss something? I haven't seen him around here in a while, and was kind of hoping to read his report on this party if we manage to pull it off.

I think he sold his soul to Schooly or lost a bet with Tex or something.

Last I heard the 2012 HBOhio writeup and 2013 GSMLan are due to hit shelves soon (Man, I cannot WAIT for 2019 to get here!).

TSD fo life

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, December 15, 2014, 17:08 (3429 days ago) @ Revenant1988

@Speedracer

Sorry I've been dark lately man, carnage.bungie.org is about the only forum not blocked at my current job. I'm a bit behind on the DBO's, but my clonkers remain true as ever.

@Rev

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 07:18 (3429 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, I'm picturing your parents knocking on the front door while we're all gaming so they can at least witness the wedding and then we all take a two hour break while Kermit (the recently-ordained-online-minister) performs the ceremony and then we get back to the pizza/oreos and Halo 2.

Wow, that would be quite an honor. A good friend of mine presided over the wedding of another good friend of mine about 20 years ago. There was a law in the state (MA or CT, I forget) that allowed you be ordained for a day, provided that you had the right references.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 15, 2014, 07:43 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Doubt I can make it, but color me interested. Depends on whether I go to PAX East.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:14 (3430 days ago) @ Kermit

Doubt I can make it, but color me interested. Depends on whether I go to PAX East.

Then I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you miss PAX East, because I'd love to have you. You could even have dibs on the office in the hangar so you can keep your early bed time old man! ;-)

interested

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:09 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

if i'm not too old, and can take off work. i live just 3 hrs away.

interested

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:12 (3430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

if i'm not too old, and can take off work. i live just 3 hrs away.

There are no age restrictions! We'd love to have you.

interested

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:13 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

There are no age restrictions!

Good to hear.

interested

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:10 (3430 days ago) @ Kermit

There are no age restrictions!

Good to hear.

I lol'd.

If there we're age restrictions, how would we measure them?

Bones' is older than YOU, mentally speaking and Korny might as well be an eternal child ;)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:09 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

That's only 11 hours away! Sounds ridiculous, but that would only make it tied for 2nd place on the list of furthest LANs I've driven to.

Did you get permission from TSD to use their group photo?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:51 (3430 days ago) @ stabbim

That's only 11 hours away! Sounds ridiculous, but that would only make it tied for 2nd place on the list of furthest LANs I've driven to.

18 for me. If I go, I'll fly.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, December 15, 2014, 16:09 (3430 days ago) @ Kermit

Much like Wolverine, I don't fly.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, December 15, 2014, 16:09 (3430 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm interested! But then I'm interested in ALL the B.org meetups. April is a long (relative) time away, but right now I'm in a place in my life in which something like this might be feasible. I'll be paying close attention to your updates in the future!

ps: Gotta play Game of Thrones second edition! And Artemis!

Can I slowly walk where I have never slowly walked before?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, December 15, 2014, 17:20 (3429 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This is an unexpectedly happy announcement, and I am very interested in finding out of how possible it is to do.

I'm officially putting it on Paddy's list of math and stuff to think about for great success.

I'll get back to you soon on the prospects.

Can I slowly walk where I have never slowly walked before?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 17:26 (3429 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Double Yay!!

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, December 15, 2014, 20:07 (3429 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I am interested in attending and will see if I can make it work.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 20:34 (3429 days ago) @ Schooly D

Cool! Let me know!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread