DBO XBO: Crota's Down! (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 17:41 (3430 days ago)

It took 8.5 hours, but we took down Crota! Xenos and I will have some videos coming in a bit…

That was great fun! Definitely different than Vault of Glass, but in a good way. Different mechanics, harder enemies.

Congrats, guys, and thanks for an awesome raid!

Conflicted

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 18:55 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

On one hand - AWESOME! Congrats ALL!

On the other - Wanted to join. Couldn't. ;_;

Video of our successful run at Crota

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 21:37 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

7 minutes, not too bad!

Here's my perspective

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 22:45 (3430 days ago) @ Xenos

As you can see, I was on "Boomer Duty" with Icebreaker (keeping the Knights with Boomers off of Zero). Having two people (squidNH3 and myself) clear out the left and right perches really made Zero's life a lot easier…

Please ignore the first, ridiculous death. I took damage just before the force fields came down at the beginning and couldn't quite make it downstairs. :-P All in all, I think we executed this pretty well!

Here's my perspective

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:09 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

Interesting how fast you ran out of the starting room. Why didn't you take your time clearing a bit more instead of running straight out of the room (with no health recovery)?

Here's my perspective

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:38 (3430 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Interesting how fast you ran out of the starting room. Why didn't you take your time clearing a bit more instead of running straight out of the room (with no health recovery)?

Time. we decided to get to the bottom room as quickly as possible, b/c we would have a choke point for any enemies that came down there. It's not necessary for the encounter to clear all those enemies, so we didn't do it. Most of the time, we all made it out of there.

Also… *SP*

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:48 (3430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Time. we decided to get to the bottom room as quickly as possible, b/c we would have a choke point for any enemies that came down there. It's not necessary for the encounter to clear all those enemies, so we didn't do it. Most of the time, we all made it out of there.

The Crota's Presence debuff prevents health from regenerating, so the only way to heal during the fight is with the Chalice of Light found below Crota (or via gear with health-regen perks like Red Death). It normally wasn't a problem, but every now and then the enemies could shoot through the force field early (or just walk through, like a few Knights did…). Also, enemies just keep spawning in up there, so clearing them out doesn't really get you anywhere in the long run.

Also… *SP*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:50 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

The Crota's Presence debuff prevents health from regenerating, so the only way to heal during the fight is with the Chalice of Light found below Crota (or via gear with health-regen perks like Red Death).

Red Death and Suros do not heal you. Presence of Crota prevents healing of any kind without the chalice. Even "regenerates health on orb pickup" perks do not work. This as something our group tested while we were doing the fight the first time.

Tell that to Zero

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:51 (3430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Crota's Presence debuff prevents health from regenerating, so the only way to heal during the fight is with the Chalice of Light found below Crota (or via gear with health-regen perks like Red Death).

Red Death and Suros do not heal you. Presence of Crota prevents healing of any kind without the chalice. Even "regenerates health on orb pickup" perks do not work.

I'm 99% sure he said it was working for him yesterday.

Also… *SP*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:52 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

Red Death and Suros do not heal you. Presence of Crota prevents healing of any kind without the chalice. Even "regenerates health on orb pickup" perks do not work.

Tell that to Zero. I believe it was working for him yesterday.

Interesting. Which of these did he use?

Also… *SP*

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:53 (3430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Interesting. Which of these did he use?

Red Death. Don't know if it was a new one or old one (in case that matters).

Also… *SP*

by Zero @, Florida, Monday, December 15, 2014, 14:07 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

Still the old one. There was no way I was going to get that perk back in time if I reforged it.

Maybe its glitchy.

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:53 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

It's something I feel should work, but in my experience it doesn't.

If it did that would be rad and make exotic choice more of a decision instead of just using ghorn or icebreaker no matter what.

I also think arcblade should hurt crota.

Also… *SP*

by petetheduck, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:54 (3430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is a really cool debuff, gives the feeling that Crota is bad news and requires a change in tactics. I also thought the Oversoul was really cool, actively punishing players for death but still giving them the chance to recover from a mistake.

Although I've heard it is possible to negate Crota's Presence with a similar tactic to how you can become invulnerable to Gorgons, lose Time's Vengeance, etc. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, though--it's not that much of a problem.

Video of our successful run at Crota

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 22:46 (3430 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by SteelGaribaldi, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 22:57

Congratulations! That was great. I like your strategy of staying low, it makes some of the add management easier.

(Edit: I just saw Beorn's perspective. You and Sched [and DiscipleN2k?] were low, so you wouldn't get hit by the boomers; Beorn & squidNH3 took care of the boomers when Zero was Cutting Crota. Nice.)

I should be joining you this week - tomorrow the UPS truck brings the new projector, to replace the projector that broke.

Awesome job!

by Avateur @, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 22:13 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

Crota's giving our group a real nightmare of a time. We'll take that sucker down sooner or later. Called it quits for now. We figured out what to do, but the execution is pretty tough. We also only have two 31s. The Raid already paid out a nice new chest piece to me, but all this new currency has made it so that I can't max it for the life of me. Dat grind. But we'll get through it. :)

Raiding is Dangerous

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 23:04 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

Apparently, while we were tackling Crota, a small tornado passed through my town. I was wearing my A50s and didn't hear the sirens. If my wife hadn't told me about it when she got home, I would have never known :p

-Disciple

Raiding is Dangerous

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 06:40 (3430 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

wow!, glad you are okay.

Raiding is Dangerous

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, December 15, 2014, 07:07 (3430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Thanks. Me, too :p

Luckily it was just a little one on the outskirts of town. No reported damage at all. Knowing that, I'm almost glad I didn't hear the sirens. I would have hated missing out on taking down Crota. It does, however, worry me a bit for future storms. It might be time to get a weather radio to stuff into the entertainment center.

-Disciple

Raiding is Dangerous

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 15, 2014, 08:10 (3430 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Or, you know, not play with the Astro next time? :p

That's definitely not going to happen :p

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:13 (3430 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Congratulations guys!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 05:44 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

DBO XBO: Crota's Down!

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 06:44 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

That was the hardest boss fight I've done in a looooong time. Maybe Xenos or Beorn can check the footage, but it felt like half of our time was spent on the crystal and crota. We figured all the other stages out really fast, and was able to divy up the duties and get through them efficiently.

Now that we know what to do, other runs should go smoother (until hard mode hits).

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:00 (3430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

That was the hardest boss fight I've done in a looooong time. Maybe Xenos or Beorn can check the footage, but it felt like half of our time was spent on the crystal and crota. We figured all the other stages out really fast, and was able to divy up the duties and get through them efficiently.

Now that we know what to do, other runs should go smoother (until hard mode hits).

Yeah, we got to the Ir Yût (Deathsinger) encounter at 1 hour, 26 minutes and started Crota at 2 hours, 46 minutes… Crota went down around 8:30.

I think it's going to go a LOT faster next time now that we know what's up.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:08 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

Definitely! And speaking of returning to the Hellmouth, are any of you guys up for diving back in before the reset to grab that first chest?

-Disciple

DBO XBO: Crota's Down! *SP*

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:35 (3430 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Definitely! And speaking of returning to the Hellmouth, are any of you guys up for diving back in before the reset to grab that first chest?

-Disciple

i might be on tonight.

**SPOILER**
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
would like to get back to the bridge portion as well. We missed a chest in that hallway of thralls before we jumped down the hole into crota's chamber. I looked up some posts on reddit an youtube today. there is a room on the other side of the hole where the chest spawns. Once you kill the shrieker in the hallway, the chest spawns, and the door slowly closes. you have to rush to get to the chest. As long as one person makes it in, the door will reopen when they open the chest.

DBO XBO: Crota's Down! *SP*

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:47 (3430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I would definitely be down for that one as well. I'd bet the MIDA Multi-Tool would be pretty useful for the runner :)

I'll probably be on around 9PM Central tonight.

-Disciple

I actually already got that chest... for all 3 characters...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:19 (3430 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:44 (3430 days ago) @ Xenos

there was a rumor on reddit that that chest was glitched and had a daily (instead of weekly) reset. I haven't tested this out, but will give it a try tonight if i get on.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:47 (3430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

there was a rumor on reddit that that chest was glitched and had a daily (instead of weekly) reset. I haven't tested this out, but will give it a try tonight if i get on.

I doubt that's true, but here's what DID happen:

The raid opened up, and if you didn't log out before it went live, the game would give you rewards twice. I guess because you were still logged on, the game considered your character as having played the raid before the reset. So if you logged off, then on again and completed the raid a second time, you got more rewards.

ah, makes sense

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 15, 2014, 14:10 (3430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, December 15, 2014, 19:47 (3429 days ago) @ Xenos

For some reason I didn't even think the bridge would form without at least a small fireteam. They made it really easy to just drop in and solo the first chest. It will be cool to be able to count on at least one raid drop for each character every week...at least until they decide this was a bug and patch it.

-Disciple

And in case you were curious...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 09:03 (3429 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

The reason it's sometimes there and sometimes not, it apparently is in random rooms like that throughout the lamp maze. If we knew what we were doing we could look in every room until we find it, but it's much easier to just die and try the first room again.

by squidnh3, Monday, December 15, 2014, 16:16 (3430 days ago) @ Beorn

This was an awesome time, I'm glad I made it through the grind to be able to do this (I actually got to do both raids for the first time in a single week). I was still sniping those Boomers in my dreams last night. What a rush when Crota finally went down.

I also accidentally discovered during the run that you do more damage with the Golden Gun when zoomed in. I don't think I had ever actually zoomed in with it before.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread