Fusion Rifles in the Crucible... (Destiny)

by HavokBlue, California, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 20:14 (3430 days ago)

Really getting to despise fusion rifles in the Crucible. They don't promote any sort of interesting gameplay. They reward what I would consider to be 'anti-fun' behavior like corner camping. More than any other weapon, they do not play well with the astounding latency issues the game seems to be having lately. The fact that Plan C was passed out twice in a row only to be followed up by Murmer for everyone means you're guaranteed to run into it in a given match.

I'm guilty of hopping on the fusion rifle train myself lately, because shotguns don't really cut it when anyone with a brain is pre-charging, and maps where sniper rifles -really- shine are no longer in normal rotation.

Not really sure how to re-balance an entire weapon class without gimping it. Maybe increase the delay between shots to punish people who miss while rewarding those with aim?...

We already covered this.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 20:18 (3430 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Let me refer you to the truth about crucible fusion rifle use.

Fusion Rifles in the Crucible...

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, December 15, 2014, 00:29 (3430 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Fusion rifles are my anti-shotgun.

I don't see why the complaints about them shouldn't also apply to shotguns?

If a guy is camping with either, I try to counter with a fusion rifle.

In any other scenario I just shoot them in the face with Doctor Nope.

Sure, fusion rifles are annoying in the right (wrong?) scenarios. So are shotguns and sniper rifles. Being really good in the right situations and not so good elsewhere is the whole point of specials! Someone killing me with a fusion rifle at significant range is an annoyance and grounds to consider something to be up, but not someone crouching behind a corner doing the exact same thing as shotgunners in Halo.

Or at least, that's how I see it.

Shotguns shoot about as far as you can spit.

by HavokBlue, California, Monday, December 15, 2014, 00:52 (3430 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

Not all of them

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:26 (3430 days ago) @ HavokBlue

My The Crash has the range of Invective by default, then toss on "Send It" and "Rangefinder" (that's the one where ADS increasing range?) and it smacks fools from at least as far as I can throw my cat.

Which is to say far. :)

But that was a lucky roll tho

Become Legend

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:29 (3430 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

But that was a lucky roll tho

I like that some people on here have legends surrounding their guns...like Blue's shadow price, or your Clash. A kind roll can make your average legendary damn near exotic.

Become Legend

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, December 15, 2014, 10:00 (3430 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I have that same Clash. It's awesome

Become Legend

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:02 (3430 days ago) @ bluerunner

I have that same Clash. It's awesome

*Crash.

As do I, and also got it on a random drop. It's way better than the one you can buy.

My perks are the same as MacPhistos, and mine does Void damage. I also have "damage boost" as kills are chained together, so once I get a kill or two, I can usually one shot someone from further away then they are expecting.

Thinking about it now, it's the only gun I have that I really, really like that I'll be pissed if I can't get take it with me to future DLC.

I'll level it up again, Bungie, if you really fucking want me to, but don't take mah crash away :(

Become Legend

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:12 (3430 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Thinking about it now, it's the only gun I have that I really, really like that I'll be pissed if I can't get take it with me to future DLC.

I'll level it up again, Bungie, if you really fucking want me to, but don't take mah crash away :(

If it really kicks ass you can always keep it for crucible or the vault. I have a void comedian that's full auto and more accurate/longer ranged when you ADS; it also can switch between speed reload and stagger rounds. I use the speed reload in the crucible and the stagger rounds for praetorians in the vault (you can chain-stun them with it once their shields are down). Will always be handy for those shard runs or CQC maps.

Become Legend

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, December 15, 2014, 14:01 (3430 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If it really kicks ass you can always keep it for crucible or the vault. I have a void comedian that's full auto and more accurate/longer ranged when you ADS; it also can switch between speed reload and stagger rounds. I use the speed reload in the crucible and the stagger rounds for praetorians in the vault (you can chain-stun them with it once their shields are down). Will always be handy for those shard runs or CQC maps.

I covet your Comedian so much. You should start a Titan just to wreck fools with that and the Ward.

Camp so hard you're a b-movie horror flick.

Become Legend

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, December 15, 2014, 14:04 (3430 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I covet your Comedian so much. You should start a Titan just to wreck fools with that and the Ward.

Camp so hard you're a b-movie horror flick.

My brother actually has a titan. If you ever see a Titan playing on my GT, it's him. He's too anti-social to bother playing with other people, but I could definitely 'borrow' his Titan and Suros Regime.

I wanna get The Secret Handshake

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:30 (3430 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

that new vanguard shotgun seems soo good. I'm saving my marks for it.

I barley play crucible, and I do not have this problem.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, December 15, 2014, 06:13 (3430 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I'm working through a new exotic bounty, so I've had to dip into MP to complete it.

I'll give you this: I run into a lot of people using fusion rifles.

But I have zero problems with them.

In fact, my top weapon (according to my b.net stats) is a shotgun. I checked my stats and I'm in the top 5 of my friends. While I'm no KornyMunky in the Crucible, I do pretty well.

I remember all the crybabies in Halo 4 that complained about the boltshot being overpowered- it wasn't.

I remember all the crybabies in Halo 3 complaining about the mauler being overpowered- it wasn't.

Seems like it has something to do with CQB type weapons.

I'd actually argue that if you're getting donked on by FR wielders, they must be pretty good with them because they aren't the easiest guns to use, IMO. Timing is everything with them!

Personally, I actually enjoy watching them stop just before they turn a corner and start to cook their gun because then I can mess with them. It becomes a dance of sorts, I peek out just enough to get them to fire, they miss, I run in and shotgun them ftw. Or, I just shoulder charge into them, which is also great fun as it seems they don't expect that. I've not tried the Titan's sprint-shield, but I bet that would also be effective. It also helps that my preferred shotgun has an incredible range perk :P

Of course, I realize that not everyone runs Titan and therefor doesn't have those options. However, I think people also create their own frustration with this:

You're running around. Dude with a FR kills you. You respawn and another dude kills you with an FR.

You get mad. You respawn. Now you're sprinting around, angry, not playing smart. You keep repeating the same mistake. You throw yourself at the other team, and get destroyed every time. The cycle repeats.

So I get the frustration. It's likely not that FR are OP, dude.

You're probably just getting mad, and giving them kills :P

I barley play crucible, and I do not have this problem.

by Monochron, Monday, December 15, 2014, 06:45 (3430 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm working through a new exotic bounty, so I've had to dip into MP to complete it.

I'll give you this: I run into a lot of people using fusion rifles.

But I have zero problems with them.

In fact, my top weapon (according to my b.net stats) is a shotgun. I checked my stats and I'm in the top 5 of my friends. While I'm no KornyMunky in the Crucible, I do pretty well.

This seems to be more in line with my experiences. FR's ocassionally get me at range and I'm usually not too upset because they had to land most of their shots to kills me. Shotguns often destroy me with no warning up close though, and any lag that you might be experience really shines through when a shotgun kills you after you have already unloaded into the guy.

Stay further away is what that sesame.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, December 15, 2014, 07:56 (3430 days ago) @ Monochron

Not tomato much of what your saying, but if being that close is an issue with fusion rifles, just stay further caraway.

I'll see myself out.

I seed what you did there.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, December 15, 2014, 09:58 (3430 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Fusion Rifles in the Crucible...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, December 15, 2014, 13:27 (3430 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I alternate between not using fusion rifles in the Crucible because they seem to get easy cheesy kills and not using fusion rifles in the Crucible because I can't hit the broad side of a barn with them and/or never charge them up in time. As for people using them against me, I either back off or charge in with my shotgun, and the effectiveness of both varies from match to match. The Shot Package perk is a godsend-- that's the one where it actually gets more precise/accurate when you aim down the sights. It won't get you to fusion rifle ranges but it can double your effective range. I tend to just stick with that actually because it makes it not be suicidal or dumb luck to get shotgun headshots, which are great fun on humans and AI, they feel so wrong and yet so right... they're almost perversely satisfying on Fallen and even more so on Cabal.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread