IGN Review of The Dark Below (Destiny)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 15:17 (3414 days ago)

IGN Review of The Dark Below

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 16:11 (3414 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

IGN's "Okay" review of The Dark Below expansion.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/18/destiny-the-dark-below-review?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

I sort of feel the same way.

Last night, when we couldn't get the raid together, it was like, "So, what should we do?". Nobody really wanted to do much. We played like 3 games of Iron banner, but nobody was feeling it.

Even the raid, I am beginning to be meh on. The raid was substantially easier to master I think than Vault of Glass. I've only completed it twice, but I feel like I have a lot less to learn. Obviously the first time was pretty tough, but after you know what's going on, it's honestly not terribly difficult. I haven't even cheesed anything yet. Sure I could try to learn how to use the sword on Crota, or cross the bridge first or something, but I just don't feel much like playing it to get better like I did with Vault of Glass. I think if hard mode had been open from the start, it would at least give me something to strive for.

The only reason would be for the 32 armor, and the weapons, but knowing I can just buy better stuff with house of wolves really kills and gear based motivation. So I dunno, I'll probably do the raid for a little while longer, but it doesn't seem like it will have the legs Vault of Glass did.

The rest is just looking at all the stupid grinding shit that was introduced. I hated that before, but the Vault was enough to look past that. Crota's End just isn't.

"provided...you have five friends with level 28 characters"

by kornman00, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 18:38 (3414 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

LOL, they talk about fighting Crota with level 28 characters and then plug about not having Raid matchmaking in the same sentence?

Cool story, IGN.

The Dark Below was a cool expansion (we should all remember that parts of it came in the form of hot-patches too) that did give us a bit of variety in how we were used to playing parts of the game (story, bounties, etc). The game was released less than 3 months before the expansion...so on top of Bungie releasing regular fixes and providing support, I think the DLC was a good first step in addressing the complaints we've had with such core elements like the game's story.

With that said, the new light levels and the hoops you have to jump through to get them (not to mention the progression-throttling new materials/currencies) killed my desire to play this game regularly anymore. I'm not interested in this fucking grind. Hopefully I'll play enough between now and DLC 2 that I'll have good enough gear to do whatever comes next (since I bought the pass).

"provided...you have five friends with level 28 characters"

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 21:42 (3414 days ago) @ kornman00

How does the DLC actually address any story complaints?

Once again, any actual story is found in Grimoire cards. Any story found in game is contextless and completely disconnected from anything that comes before or after it.

Is a big part of this setpieces?

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, December 19, 2014, 07:59 (3414 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Like when you activate the warmind radio tower things its cool. Then you go back to patrol and they are back to how they were before?

Nothing changes in setpieces and I think thats a big problem where that story disconnect comes into play.

Maybe its because all the large scale battles take place in the grimoire.

Something like a 16 player war against the darkness with the skybox and horizons filled with fighting like in Halo Reach would do a lot for making things seem to matter.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread