What does MIDA stand for again? (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, January 04, 2015, 01:12 (3407 days ago)

[image]I was poking through some of my old files and stumbled upon a funny little connection between Destiny and Bungie's much older Marathon via the MIDA Multi-Tool exotic scout rifle.

In Marathon's timeline there were long running political struggles and ultimately wars on Mars between the United Earth Government and a political party called MIDA. MIDA briefly seized control of Mars before losing to the UEG's vastly superior military and space forces. Following their defeat MIDA then became a well funded terrorist organization operating in the Sol system. If you're curious, you can read the full history of MIDA over at MBO. (I linked as close as I could... Just search for MIDA.) Of course, there's no evidence that the gun and the terrorist group have anything to do with each other, but it is a fun sly reference to a game that first came out some twenty year ago. Too bad the meaning of MIDA was never revealed. :(

Amusingly, this little piece of Marathon history was from a computer terminal in a level section called The Rose which links it back to Destiny via the always important Alpha Lupi mini-ARG whose planet descriptions showed back up in Destiny itself as Grimoire cards of The Traveler dreaming.

Fun stuff! :)

Love this, thanks!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, September 10, 2017, 19:20 (2426 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread