So I killed Croat again last night [cheese spoilers] (Destiny)

by DreadPirateWes, Sunday, January 04, 2015, 13:10 (3407 days ago)

Got an invite from someone I'd done a strike with at some point, and thought I might as well do it on my alt. Had I known they were going to cheese the whole thing I would have said no (i can do that by myself!) Anyway, the Crota disconnect method took about 25 minutes to setup (after we sniped the ogres from the wrong side of the bridge and used a checkpoint to get to the witch). I was not expecting it to feel so unsatisfying! When I lamp cannon I feel like I've accomplished something because I've used legitimate game features in a way that the developers didn't expect. It might even take me 10 tries... not so easy to do. When I solo the next bridge and jump to the top of the tower to snipe all the enemies on the other side I feel a little less accomplishment, but it took me a while to figure out how to climb that tower and a long time to snipe that darn wizard! Disconnecting with Crota on one knee just felt wrong... I probably won't do it again (this week). I really hope they fix it soon so I'm not tempted to do it again.

PS I made it (pretty much by myself) to the 2nd chest last night for the first time! Really wasn't too hard with my nearly maxed gjallarhorn to kill the shriekers. Best moment of the cheese fest!

So I killed Croat again last night [cheese spoilers]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 04, 2015, 14:18 (3406 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Anyway, the Crota disconnect method took about 25 minutes to setup

You could have beaten him 5 times by the time that was ready. Why bother cheesing? People are dumb.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, January 05, 2015, 07:55 (3406 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why bother cheesing? People are dumb.

Because the boss fight is hard. I was in a group where they decided to do that, after cheesing the whole thing (I was going with a friend, I'd rather not have cheesed it, but I said whatever when the randoms wanted to; it wasn't exactly fun and I have no idea how to do it, but I have a Mantle of the Deathsinger now, and it wasn't unfun; it was essentially just talking with some people while not doing much of anything), but they only tried to cheese Crota after several tries at doing it legitimately. It really wasn't worth it, especially since it just didn't work, in the end, but the sunken cost fallacy will explain that one.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 05, 2015, 15:29 (3405 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Anyway, the Crota disconnect method took about 25 minutes to setup

You could have beaten him 5 times by the time that was ready. Why bother cheesing? People are dumb.

Remember that "Three minutes, tops" thing that you said that turned into 15 minutes, when the cheese would have taken two minutes?

You also assume that the people cheesing have a squad of 32s with Gjallarhorns at the ready.

The boss fight is difficult for many people. Just because it's a breeze for folks like me (and to a lesser extent, you), it doesn't mean that non-cheese is always faster.
Besides, a lot of people run alts that are under 30, so the cheese may be ideal, especially when you don't have a full group.

Not that I entirely support network manipulation, but I'm not going to whine about people breezing through something that we struggled with at first.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 05, 2015, 15:35 (3405 days ago) @ Korny

Not that I entirely support network manipulation, but I'm not going to whine about people breezing through something that we struggled with at first.

I guess it's quaint to dislike it on principle, huh?

Heads up: if I'm a team and this cheese is planned, let me know so I can quit early.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 05, 2015, 15:53 (3405 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, January 05, 2015, 16:00

Well, of course not, and I'm not whining about what other people choose to do in their own fireteams. I find fighting him significantly more fun than using this manipulation. I'm fine with folks playing however they like outside the crucible, and so long as it's not a detriment to anyone else. If the group agrees on glitching the raid, then that's their choice. I really don't care if it means everybody will have great gear. So what? People like Datto who are appalled merely because the gear he acquired is less rare and available to more people by cheesing, are elitist, stupid, and insecure.

Sooner or later though, it will be fixed, and you will no longer be able to breeze through it. Better to practice it for real and be ready.

Alternatively, your comment about not everybody HAVING good weapons to do the raid is well taken, which is why I've suggested all along that Bungie should have raids start as low as level 20, and range to the level of hard mode now.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread