Why are shards and energy not the same damn thing? (Destiny)

by HavokBlue, California, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 03:21 (3405 days ago)

What is the point of making Radiant/Ascendant shards and Radiant/Ascendant energy into separate currencies?... The fact that they are interchangeably dispensed via RNG is stupid stupid stupid. I can grind All The Things every available reset... and never get the shards I need while piling up energy I'm never going to or can't use. It does nothing but add yet another pointless RNG element to punish players. And the fact that there still isn't an option to exchange essence/wiring/plasteel for ascendant materials...

I don't know why I'm complaining about this now, in January. I guess whereas I was having fun with Destiny in spite of the absurd amount of effort it pours into saying HAHA NO TRY AGAIN or COME BACK NEXT WEEK SORRY the past few months, coming back to it after my holiday break... I just can't put up with all of these systems anymore, especially knowing that in a month or so... I can just grind marks (but only to the weekly cap, can't have you getting anything too quickly!) to buy gear that will outclass anything available now.

b/c they funnel new activities and prolong the grind

by kornman00, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 05:06 (3405 days ago) @ HavokBlue

The new DLC comes out and all of a sudden shit is different/harder. Why would people play the new stuff over and over again when they can just go back to VoG or Dailies to breeze through their daily/weekly servings of <whatever-the-fuck-currency>?

With the radiant nonsense, there's more incentive for the masses to play the new Raid and level up your standing with Eris (funneling).

b/c they funnel new activities and prolong the grind

by HavokBlue, California, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 08:07 (3405 days ago) @ kornman00

I don't mean "why are there radiant and ascendant materials". I mean why are there different materials for weapons and armor? There is no functional purpose except to make it arbitrarily more difficult to improve your equipment, based on luck.

They practically are, as of today.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 06:53 (3405 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Assuming you did Eris' bounties every day except those 2-3 when PSN was down, you should be rank 4 today even if you main a Titan. If you run a Warlock or Hunter, or used the bounty duplication glitch/exploit (shame on you) you probably hit that point days or even weeks ago.

So now you can just convert all those Energy into Shards.

Admittedly it took a month, but unless you've been very lucky you probably cant get more than 2 characters to 32 yet anyway, and you still wont have enough shards/energy combined to level all 3, so you've plenty of time to rank up Eris if you missed a few days.

Only Radiant.... not Ascendant

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 06:56 (3405 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Ugh, reading comprehension fail

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 07:15 (3405 days ago) @ unoudid

That's what I get for browsing at work. Apologies.

I only have one idea

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 10:58 (3404 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Only one, and Bungie recently sort of voided it.

You're right that they seem redundant with the only difference being RNG. Other materials and currency are acquired in different way, encouraging a player to do different things to get what they want. Shards and Energy are acquired in all the same ways.

The only place that isn't true, and my only thought, is when you break down either weapons or armor. This forces a sort of trade, where you may have to break down a weapon in order to gain power with a second weapon.

However, it seems that even Bungie thought that system was a little nuts, as the new exotic shards work for both weapons and armor.

I fully expect Bungie to continue to tweak the currency system as time goes on, not just by adding new currencies, but by combining them and giving us exchange methods.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread