Destiny wins a Game of the Year award! (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 09:21 (3367 days ago)

By some measures, it is the game of the year for a lot of people, and it looks like a lot of people in the Playstation community voted for it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/08/winners-playstation-blog-2014-game-of-the-year-awards/

Interestingly, it got the "silver trophy" for PS3. Does anyone here actually play on a PS3? I can, but I haven't except for maybe twice early on.

Destiny wins a Game of the Year award!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 09:26 (3367 days ago) @ Kermit

Great to see Destiny get such strong fan support. I haven't tried it on PS3 or 360. Curious to see how it plays, though.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 10:32 (3367 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

From a 360 only perspective it play great. No slowdowns or anything to indicate that it wasn't a 360 first game. From what others have said, it plays the same on the newer systems and even looks the same just sharper and more detailed with a few more effects here and there.

Really, in this age of games launching completely broken Destiny's successful and almost completely solid launch on four platforms across two generations is stunning.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 10:49 (3367 days ago) @ Ragashingo

From a 360 only perspective it play great. No slowdowns or anything to indicate that it wasn't a 360 first game. From what others have said, it plays the same on the newer systems and even looks the same just sharper and more detailed with a few more effects here and there.

Really, in this age of games launching completely broken Destiny's successful and almost completely solid launch on four platforms across two generations is stunning.

The biggest difference that can (but often doesn't) affect gameplay is that the inventory screen is quicker to load on the XB1.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 10:56 (3367 days ago) @ Kermit

The biggest difference that can (but often doesn't) affect gameplay is that the inventory screen is quicker to load on the XB1.

the inventory thing is a HUGE plus for the XB1. besides that, I actually prefer to play on the 360 since it seems to respond faster than the XB1 does. It's hard to describe. but when switching from the 360 to XB1 I notice a slight lag when looking around/aiming or navigating menus.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:15 (3367 days ago) @ unoudid

Can't say I notice any difference at all. Perhaps you're using a wired controller on the 360 vs. wireless on XBone?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:36 (3367 days ago) @ stabbim

Both are wireless controllers with Plug and Play Cord connected. I only notice if switching immediately from one system to the other.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:41 (3367 days ago) @ unoudid

The XBone controller actually switches to wired communication when you plug it in, whereas the 360 doesn't (it still communicates wirelessly, just uses the cord for power).

The really odd thing is that this should make the XBone respond more quickly, in theory. I'm at a loss as to why it would be the other way around.

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:54 (3366 days ago) @ stabbim

The XBone controller actually switches to wired communication when you plug it in, whereas the 360 doesn't (it still communicates wirelessly, just uses the cord for power).

The really odd thing is that this should make the XBone respond more quickly, in theory. I'm at a loss as to why it would be the other way around.

Because someone messed up. That's the only explanation.

Or…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, January 09, 2015, 11:13 (3366 days ago) @ RC

Because someone messed up. That's the only explanation.

Or maybe there isn't an issue at all. I play on XB1, 360, and PS4, and I can assure you there's no "input lag" difference between the controllers and the consoles, wired or not.

A more likely explanation for the difference he's feeling is that the 360 and XB1 are hooked into different video inputs on his TV/receiver. Many TVs have different video settings for each input, and the TV may be doing some extra processing for the XB1 input that introduces a few frames of lag.

HDTV input lag with out-of-box settings is a REAL problem for gaming. You often have to tune your settings and/or use a specific input to get as little latency as possible.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 10:57 (3367 days ago) @ Kermit

In my limited experience (maybe 10 hours on the Xbox One), I'd say the biggest difference is that parties work WAY better on the 360.

True.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:00 (3367 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:05 (3367 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Iirc a patch made the fire team work seperately from parties (like on ps4) which helped a lot but I have decided you need to be comfortable with voice commands to use parties (and many other things) on XBONE. Makes me worry for the people who bought the kinnect-free version.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:07 (3367 days ago) @ Vortech

Iirc a patch made the fire team work seperately from parties (like on ps4) which helped a lot but I have decided you need to be comfortable with voice commands to use parties (and many other things) on XBONE. Makes me worry for the people who bought the kinnect-free version.

Heh - that's me. No kinect here. ;)

double table home (white) button

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:06 (3367 days ago) @ Vortech

double tap home button -> Snap an app -> party

next time, party will already be selected when you double tap.

double table home (white) button

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 16:05 (3367 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Even before they added the double-tap, it was possible to snap and unsnap things using just the controller. It was pretty awkward, though, as it required going to the home screen for each operation.

by Warbow, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:38 (3367 days ago) @ Claude Errera

On my crappy 1.5Mb DSL, the 360 version gets kicked off less the the XB1. The 360 also seems to jump to tower and strikes faster then the XB1.

Ah yes, crappy 1.5Mb DSL. I am familiar.

by yakaman, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 15:17 (3367 days ago) @ Warbow

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 15:47 (3367 days ago) @ Warbow

On my crappy 1.5Mb DSL, the 360 version gets kicked off less the the XB1. The 360 also seems to jump to tower and strikes faster then the XB1.

On my not-so-crappy cable connection (5-10 ms ping, 60Mb down, 15Mb up), all of this is true here too.

Yeah, but...

by Earendil, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 16:27 (3367 days ago) @ Claude Errera

On my not-so-crappy cable connection (5-10 ms ping, 60Mb down, 15Mb up), all of this is true here too.

Based on your location and quoted speed, I'm betting you are forced to used Comcast.
Comcast and Consistency do not go together...unless we're talking about lobbying money ;-)

Yeah, but...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 16:29 (3367 days ago) @ Earendil

Based on your location and quoted speed, I'm betting you are forced to used Comcast.
Comcast and Consistency do not go together...unless we're talking about lobbying money ;-)

[image]

Yeah, but...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 23:48 (3366 days ago) @ Earendil

You're right - but it doesn't change the fact that the 360 handles most of this stuff better than the the Xbone does. (And parties... ugh. I've gotten them to work properly ONCE on the Xbone. ONCE. No trouble at all on the 360.)

Yeah, but...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:33 (3366 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You're right - but it doesn't change the fact that the 360 handles most of this stuff better than the the Xbone does. (And parties... ugh. I've gotten them to work properly ONCE on the Xbone. ONCE. No trouble at all on the 360.)

Well, with the PS4 you get the graphics of next gen, and the ease of parties the last gen offers. Extra weapons and maps, and you have a win win. I'm not sure why anybody got any other version frankly :-p

Yeah, but...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:34 (3366 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, with the PS4 you get the graphics of next gen, and the ease of parties the last gen offers. Extra weapons and maps, and you have a win win. I'm not sure why anybody got any other version frankly :-p

Because PSN is terrible; who cares how good the content is if you can never get online? ;)

Yeah, but...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:57 (3366 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because Gran Turismo is dead.

Yeah, but...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 09, 2015, 16:19 (3366 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Some of enjoyed playing on Christmas. :)

Because the 360 has the best controller.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, January 09, 2015, 16:34 (3366 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But mainly because I already had one :p

This.

by ckamp, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 10:57 (3367 days ago) @ Kermit

When I play on the xbone, I'm never afraid to switch weapons and use a heavy synth. On the 360, I have to be much more conservative so that I don't die in the process.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:01 (3367 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Curious to see how it plays, though.

When I tried the beta on PS3, the biggest issue I had with it was the DualShock 3's crappiness as an FPS gamepad. It ran pretty well (some stutter but not a ton). Although some visual effects were axed and the res was poor, Destiny's "look" still came through well.

Anybody know where to find platform population stats?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 09:47 (3367 days ago) @ Kermit

Does anyone here actually play on a PS3? I can, but I haven't except for maybe twice early on.

It seems the 360 community is somewhat more robust here. Would love to see some numbers for Destiny's population across all platforms.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 11:51 (3367 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Does anyone here actually play on a PS3? I can, but I haven't except for maybe twice early on.

It seems the 360 community is somewhat more robust here. Would love to see some numbers for Destiny's population across all platforms.

Don't know exact numbers but its PS4>XB1>360>PS3

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:57 (3367 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Don't know exact numbers but I think it's PS4>XB1>360>PS3

There, fixed it for ya. ;-)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 17:30 (3367 days ago) @ Beorn

Don't know exact numbers but I think it's PS4>XB1>360>PS3

There, fixed it for ya. ;-)

No. It actually is that way. I just don't know the exact numbers.

1. PS4
2. Xbox One
3. Xbox 360
4. PS3

Source?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 21:19 (3367 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't recall seeing the actual platform numbers broken down anywhere…

Source?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 21:51 (3367 days ago) @ Beorn

I don't either, but TBH I'd be shocked if that wasn't the correct order.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread