The problem with Destiny's randomness (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, January 12, 2015, 10:39 (3401 days ago)

Some of the exotic bounty conversation made me realize my biggest problem with these bounties: randomness is limited to how they're offered, not to the encounter itself. This is generally my problem with the whole game. The reward system is randomized, but the encounters in the game aren't really. You find virtually identical encounters in the same places everywhere you go. Occasionally a major/ultra shows up randomly in patrol, but for the most part, everything everywhere is the same; the only difference is the drop.

I'm fine with RNG if it works with gameplay proportionally. If I randomly run in to tougher enemies in patrol, that have better loot tables, that makes sense. As is, PvE feels like a slot machine. I literally just pull a lever by going through a story. I can gameplan my strike with specific guns nearly to the point that I've removed challenge. That's off-putting, and ultimately the problem I think I've come to with the game. Everything is so automated. PvP has become the only vibrant and challenging portion of the game, and at this point it's about all I'm playing.

It seems like an easy fix too; Bungie could certainly be changing enemy location/spawn/difficulty, as evidenced by their changes to the loot cave/Public event rates. Why not change this stuff up every week? No one will care if it creates new loot caves/leads to an occasional boot to orbit if it changes every week: we'll all be too stoked that it's different to care. Imagine how much more patrol would be if two random lvl 30 Ultra Captains showed up in rocket yard and started stomping everyone? What if once in a while there were 4 extra servitors in the Nexus strike that all had a higher chance of dropping a legendary engram? You wouldn't care if it was harder if you knew they might drop it, you'd be too pumped for the chance to grab some deserved loot. And it would still be random!

We need to be able to RNG different encounters.

The problem with Destiny's randomness

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 12, 2015, 10:52 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Some of the exotic bounty conversation made me realize my biggest problem with these bounties: randomness is limited to how they're offered, not to the encounter itself. This is generally my problem with the whole game. The reward system is randomized, but the encounters in the game aren't really. You find virtually identical encounters in the same places everywhere you go. Occasionally a major/ultra shows up randomly in patrol, but for the most part, everything everywhere is the same; the only difference is the drop.

I'm fine with RNG if it works with gameplay proportionally. If I randomly run in to tougher enemies in patrol, that have better loot tables, that makes sense. As is, PvE feels like a slot machine. I literally just pull a lever by going through a story. I can gameplan my strike with specific guns nearly to the point that I've removed challenge. That's off-putting, and ultimately the problem I think I've come to with the game. Everything is so automated. PvP has become the only vibrant and challenging portion of the game, and at this point it's about all I'm playing.

It seems like an easy fix too; Bungie could certainly be changing enemy location/spawn/difficulty, as evidenced by their changes to the loot cave/Public event rates. Why not change this stuff up every week? No one will care if it creates new loot caves/leads to an occasional boot to orbit if it changes every week: we'll all be too stoked that it's different to care. Imagine how much more patrol would be if two random lvl 30 Ultra Captains showed up in rocket yard and started stomping everyone? What if once in a while there were 4 extra servitors in the Nexus strike that all had a higher chance of dropping a legendary engram? You wouldn't care if it was harder if you knew they might drop it, you'd be too pumped for the chance to grab some deserved loot. And it would still be random!

We need to be able to RNG different encounters.

I think I agree with this. It would make the "living world" more alive. Think about the first few times you ran into a sword bearer while on patrol. The world would be more dangerous for lower level guardians, but these odd enemies could be on timers such that they left after a duration.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, January 12, 2015, 11:09 (3401 days ago) @ Kermit

I think I agree with this. It would make the "living world" more alive. Think about the first few times you ran into a sword bearer while on patrol. The world would be more dangerous for lower level guardians, but these odd enemies could be on timers such that they left after a duration.

It would take quite a bit of work on Bungie's part, but ideally Bungie would take into account the levels of players matchmade into any given public instance and scale the public events and random enemy encounters to match the players in that area. Along with that, I wish the strikes were more random. Instead of the exact same encounter every time, why not swap out the boss you have to take down? Or simply change the route the players have to follow to get to the boss?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 12, 2015, 12:36 (3401 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

After running Omnigul several times I wondered what would happen if I took the other route to Skywatch, through the Moth Yards. Well it turns out you can't skip the 'room' encounter, and that you can't enter the room from the wrong side either. I was mildly annoyed that I had to go exactly the way bungie wanted, but, I guess it's to be expected.

The enemy is moving against each other

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 11:09 (3401 days ago) @ Kermit

Still one of the best parts of the game. Need more like this. Did the Archive mission yesterday and ran into one of these in that big courtyard with the downed drop shop. Snagged me a nice camping spot and went to work. So cool.

It offers no reward...and is the best part of the game

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, January 12, 2015, 11:45 (3401 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Still one of the best parts of the game. Need more like this. Did the Archive mission yesterday and ran into one of these in that big courtyard with the downed drop shop. Snagged me a nice camping spot and went to work. So cool.

I love those things. Especially when I'm rolling my Defender. It's the best heavy-bag workout ever.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Monday, January 12, 2015, 14:51 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I agree. I was just thinking earlier today that while the physical world cannot change, it certainly would be easy to randomly generate new strikes. It comes down to creating many small modules of game play, e.g. this group of enemies, this door Dinklebot needs to open, this route, this boss, etc; and piecing them together at mission load. You'd likely be familiar with many of the bits and pieces, but not the particular combination. Adaptation and new strategies would be required, instead of the monotony of knowing where the enemies come from and firing rocket launchers the moment they spawn.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 12, 2015, 15:25 (3401 days ago) @ BeardFade

I agree. I was just thinking earlier today that while the physical world cannot change, it certainly would be easy to randomly generate new strikes.

Hmmm, I'm not sure it would be very easy.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:41 (3401 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, I'm not a video game designer, but I am a web developer. If any of the same principles apply, then what I suggested would be a feasible methodology for creating new strikes. Rather than coding one linear progression, code many modules that can be chained and pieced together creating many possible iterations.

I was playing with ckamp and Rellekh earlier and ckamp suggested that perhaps why this isn't done is for stability's sake. I suppose that is a trade off worth making, still I would enjoy an evolving challenge.

The Need for A Hard Patrol

by digital_ronin, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 11:24 (3400 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I think a lot of this fits in well with the idea for a hard patrol.

- No one playing story missions or strikes would show up in hard patrols. This would keep the level 8 guardian from getting stomped all over.
- Players/Fireteams spawn into any of the starting locations randomly.
- Enemies start at level cap - 4 and go to level cap + 2.
- There are roving ultras with packs of majors that guarantee a purple engram reward upon defeat the entire pack. (Think champion packs from Diablo 3).
- Treasure chest loot tables are way better.
- Perhaps there could even be random modifiers for each zone you enter. So you wander into Archer's line and is now angry and arc burn.

That sounds fun to me

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 12:49 (3400 days ago) @ digital_ronin

- No text -

I'm in for that

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:18 (3400 days ago) @ digital_ronin

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread