I miss speedrunning tricks and stuff (Destiny)

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, January 12, 2015, 14:57 (3401 days ago)

Shame this game doesn't have any of that

I miss speedrunning tricks and stuff

by Ouranje ⌂, Dallas, TX, Monday, January 12, 2015, 15:07 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Saaaame. I remember lurking on High Impact Halo and HBO and trying to replicate everything I saw people doing, because tricking and glitch exploration was some of the MOST fun I ever had in the Halo series. Hence why I actually loved H2. :P

Also, that explains why triple jumping my way into the future HoW DLC area on Venus is in my top three Destiny moments. I know it's been done before and since, but man. Climbing all over everything was oddly exhilarating.

I also really just wanna explore the Vault of Glass at some point, but it'll never happen because everybody just wants to run it and be done with it-- not that that's bad! I loved running it, but holy schnikes, what a huge place.

It stll exists. It's called cheesing.

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 15:20 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Finding exploits is now frowned upon by some.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 12, 2015, 15:43 (3401 days ago) @ scarab

Finding exploits is now frowned upon by some.

Heh. Finding exploits has been frowned on by some for forever! While I enjoy the occasional awesome or involved trick (like getting to the top or bottom of something in a clever fashion) I never really cared much for speed runs. Especially the ones that required breaking the normal flow of the game by preventing sections from loading or causing them to unload.

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:08 (3401 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I like the ingenuity behind the breaking exploits because it, often, denotes a keen interest in and knowledge of the game's mechanics.

It's not so great when you skip most of AotCR to get a fast time and I suspect that even the speedrunners are slightly disappointed that it is possible.

My favorite runs are when they don't break the fourth wall and it just looks like the Chief is being a total badass. Often the story tells us that we need to get to a place like YESTERDAY and so it makes sense that the Chief doesn't kill everybody and does insane, amazingly well timed jumps and totally aggressive fighting to get to his objective in a time that a lesser mortal couldn't even contemplate.

*no fun allowed sign*

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:27 (3401 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Baffling

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 19:21 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I at least somewhat understand when item trading is a thing because then an economy can be distorted, but there is literally zero harm to anyone if someone exploits the game to complete an activity currently.

Well...

by Earendil, Monday, January 12, 2015, 19:30 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I at least somewhat understand when item trading is a thing because then an economy can be distorted, but there is literally zero harm to anyone if someone exploits the game to complete an activity currently.

While trading would make it extremely worse, there is some harm (we're using a loose definition of "harm", right?) because a player that goes it legit is suddenly "behind" and can't be sure why. If destiny stat trackers could separate the cheesers from the non, or the characters in game that walk by with rad gear had "I bypass the system" over their heads, than a normal player could have some sense of where they stand. I find this moderately unfair because the aforementioned ways of measuring progress to other players still works for those that want to bend the rules.

No matter which side of the fence you're on, those that use all means available to get ahead will cause harm to those that choose to play the game as expected.

The degree to which that harm is felt or measured is, of course, squarely up for debate :)

Baffling

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 12, 2015, 20:29 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heh. Everyone but me having a Mythoclast would certainly cause me harm in the Crucible! :p

Why do you think it's dead?

by Earendil, Monday, January 12, 2015, 15:43 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Personally, I think it's the cheesing that kills it.

Let's paint an extreme picture:
I find an exploit that zaps me to the end of a level, allowing me to beat a level in one second. Is it amazing that I found it? Maybe. But the process is easy, and I'll post it to youtube, and now anyone can do the exact same thing. No amount of being "better" at destiny will allow you to "beat" my time. You can shoot faster, run harder, dodge more, and it won't matter. At best those kinds of exploits minimizes a skilled player, and at worst (as in my extreme example) completely negate it.

I watch "solo" and "speed run" videos of destiny and I walk away from them saying to myself "neat trick, but I could do that". Anyone remember some of the insane Halo runs where, after watching it, you walk away thinking "damn that was amazing, maybe someday I can play like that" ? I do, but I'll be damned if I can find one of those videos now :)

If you want it to live I believe we need two things:
1. For this (and other) communities to praise legit speed runs.
2. For Bungie to keep fixing every exploit and bit of cheese they can.

And here is my final thought:
Halo certainly had it's fair share of exploits, but I feel like they weren't on average as skill defying as the popular Destiny ones. Perhaps that's because Destiny is still young, and we're all still praising and popularizing the cheap shots.

I think it's the concept of "leveling" that killed it.

by Monochron, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 12:42 (3401 days ago) @ Earendil

I watch "solo" and "speed run" videos of destiny and I walk away from them saying to myself "neat trick, but I could do that". Anyone remember some of the insane Halo runs where, after watching it, you walk away thinking "damn that was amazing, maybe someday I can play like that" ? I do, but I'll be damned if I can find one of those videos now :)

I don't know, most of the Crota's End Speedruns or solos that I have seen look really difficult. I definitely look at that and think that I might be able to do that, once I level up some more. I think that is the real problem.

When we can level up so much that enemies aren't much of a threat any more then speedrunning is little more than 'who can sprint the most' or find the glitch.

I think it's the concept of "leveling" that killed it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 13:42 (3400 days ago) @ Monochron

When we can level up so much that enemies aren't much of a threat any more then speedrunning is little more than 'who can sprint the most' or find the glitch.

Remember when I posted, after 6.5 straight hours of the Vault of Glass right when it dropped, that only an elite few would finish? That I might not finish?

That's because we were all doing it at level 26 with blue weapons. And it was really hard. 30 with maxed purple and yellow? Not so much.

I'm not sure that breaks it

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 16:59 (3400 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Halo always has speed runs per difficultly level. Destiny doesn' thave a difficultly per say, but each level/vault has a level, and the differences between that and your character's is the difficultly.

I don't know why we can't do speed runs on VoG, with categories for teams being level 26 through whatever.

As for weapons, that is more difficult, but again there is a precedent for doing these things with specified weapons as well. Feel free to callange the world with a VOG run at level 26, using no exotic weapons or armor. Or level 30, using only VoG gear and weapons.

The problem with speed runs is not that we don't have the options required to do it, it's that we have too many options at our disposal, and nothing to rally us around a particular set.

Maybe a year years down the road Mr. Jones will issue another challenge. We can dream...

I miss speedrunning tricks and stuff

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:07 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Shame this game doesn't have any of that

Are you sure? You COULD speedrun Crota's end using cool tricks. :-p

if you revert your patch yeah :p

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:28 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

not like you can play offline anyway

I make heavy use of a classic speed running trick...

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:19 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Run past all the enemies.

Seriously, like, every mission. :P

And every character has a Sparrow ;-)

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:21 (3401 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

I make heavy use of a classic speed running trick...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:29 (3401 days ago) @ RC

Run past all the enemies.

Seriously, like, every mission. :P

Holding MIDA as a hunter of course.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread