Nighfall Arc, bring the fate. (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 08:51 (3400 days ago)

Looks like this week's nightfall is Sepiks with Arc burn. I'm excited to use my fatebringer, not quite sure what to do about the solar shanks tho', anyone have some super good advice for me about those?

<groans> I really shouldn't post this, but I am.

Nighfall Arc, bring the fate.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:09 (3400 days ago) @ dogcow

I personally will use Vision of Confluence with either Patience and Time or Thunderlord in my exotic. Thinking Murmur on arc and Thunderlord. I have 3 characters to have fun with it on.

Also if warlock, choose solar and fireboat. 2 grenades.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:54 (3400 days ago) @ dogcow

Looks like this week's nightfall is Sepiks with Arc burn. I'm excited to use my fatebringer, not quite sure what to do about the solar shanks tho', anyone have some super good advice for me about those?

<groans> I really shouldn't post this, but I am.

Fatebringer, Icebreaker, and Song of Ir Yut should just about do it.

- CC

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 10:19 (3400 days ago) @ dogcow

Just use fatebringer. They're like 2-shot kills instead of 1-shot kills.

More like 4

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 01:22 (3400 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

3 for me

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 05:48 (3399 days ago) @ Beorn

But I don't use explosive rounds.

Is the explosion from explosive rounds Solar, does anyone know? That could be interesting.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 06:24 (3399 days ago) @ someotherguy

I was two-shotting those shanks on Nightfall with Fatebringer (expolosive rounds on); one-shotting them in the Weekly.

Solo?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 07:27 (3399 days ago) @ Speedracer513

We were running with a full fireteam. Might have been three shots, but definitely wasn't two.

No, full fireteam.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 07:45 (3399 days ago) @ Beorn

I ran two Nightfalls and three Weeklies last night with a full fireteam of three every time.

Did you have explosive rounds turned on? Because that seems to be the key. Without explosive rounds, Fatebringer does about 1500 damage; with explosive rounds it does 1005 critical plus 1005 explosive area damage.

No, full fireteam.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:23 (3399 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I ran two Nightfalls and three Weeklies last night with a full fireteam of three every time.

Did you get rewards both times? Because if so, then I'm seriously doing Nighfall non-stop for the rest of the week.

No, full fireteam.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:29 (3399 days ago) @ Morpheus

Did you get rewards both times? Because if so, then I'm seriously doing Nighfall non-stop for the rest of the week.

Yes - but that's because I was running it on three separate characters. Only one reward per week per character. (Technically, I ran four Nightfalls and three weeklies last night when you count my Xbox character.)

Suuuuuuuuuucks.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 14:34 (3399 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Think I've figured this out

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:11 (3399 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I knew that Fatebringer did extra damage in the VoG, but had no idea it worked outside, so I've been doing some testing (you know how much I love testing things).

Seems like I've found the answer. You probably remember seeing posts a couple months ago explaining why Explosive Rounds weren't worth it, but just in case - Explosive Rounds do the same non-precision damage as normal rounds, but spread across the initial impact (2/3rds normal damage) and the explosion (1/3rd normal damage). With precision shots though, the explosive damage doesn't multiply like normal, so you only do 7/9ths of non-explosive precision damage (3x[2/3]+[1/3]). This means that using Explosive rounds is of no benefit unless you're fighting tightly packed clusters of enemies like Thralls.

All of that is now untrue.

I don't know when this change was made. It might have been as early as that major patch that buffed Scout Rifles and "nerfed" Auto Rifles, but at some point Explosive rounds were buffed. I have no idea if it's intentional or a bug, but Explosive Rounds now give you a direct DpS increase

Against regular, red-health enemies, Explosive Rounds do 1.5x damage on non-precision shots (Initial impact deals full normal damage, plus the explosion deals an additional 50%).

Precision damage vs. normal enemies and all damage against yellow-health is the same as non-explosive rounds, so there's no drawback (with the exception that Firefly and/Or Outlaw won't always proc on what appears to be a precision kill - sonetimes it's the explosive damage that does the actual killing).

This is not just on Fatebringer, but also on other weapons!

I don't have a checkpoint inside the Vault, but anecdotally Explosive Rounds seem to do even more damage in there, regardless of weapon - again, not just Fatebringer, though I need to test this.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:17 (3399 days ago) @ someotherguy

I don't know when this change was made. It might have been as early as that major patch that buffed Scout Rifles and "nerfed" Auto Rifles, but at some point Explosive rounds were buffed.

I think you're right. Cody Miller told me about this buff a long time ago, and made me take a 2nd look at my Calling scout rifle (with explosive rounds and firefly), and sure enough it's been my #1 primary weapon for months. It's glorious.

:D

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:18 (3399 days ago) @ someotherguy

I don't know when this change was made. It might have been as early as that major patch that buffed Scout Rifles and "nerfed" Auto Rifles, but at some point Explosive rounds were buffed. I have no idea if it's intentional or a bug, but Explosive Rounds now give you a direct DpS increase

Against regular, red-health enemies, Explosive Rounds do 1.5x damage on non-precision shots (Initial impact deals full normal damage, plus the explosion deals an additional 50%).

This pleases me.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:39 (3399 days ago) @ someotherguy

Darn, beaten to the punch

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:42 (3399 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by someotherguy, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:46

Even more interesting to me is that different races seem to take damage differently. I had no idea!

Sounds like the additional VoG damage is nothing to with being in the Vault and everything to do with shooting at Vex.

Holy Shit, Burns Are Awesome. *NSFW*

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:22 (3399 days ago) @ dogcow

I had a Fully Upgraded 331 B-Line Trauma, a Fully Upgraded 331 Patience and Time, and a Fully Upgraded 300 Culling.

Last night, three of us finished the entire Nightfall Strike in less than 14 minutes. Swear to God, even my NORMAL Strikes aren't that quick. Used Fusion Grenades for the Shanks, and sixteen-thousand, four hundred and thirty-three point headshots on Captains.

Jesus.

Walker down in two minutes--13,600 points for engine hits. Saved my heavy ammo for Sepiks--stayed back at the door, and I unloaded.

He fucking ate my shit.

It happened so fast, I started giggling like a 12-year old BFF, One Direction and Bratz sleepover.

I wanna do it again!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread