Iron Banner -- worth the grind? (Destiny)

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 14:14 (3400 days ago)

So I've participated in the iron banner in the past, and the most recent one (before this week) I got to rank 5. I swore I'd not do it again.

However, here I am, considering some of the weapons. Any thoughts on if it's worth the time?

Do you want the weapons?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 14:28 (3400 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Haven't seen them yet in detail. Will tonight.

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:44 (3400 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

In theory, re-rolling makes them the best in the game

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 16:24 (3400 days ago) @ slycrel

Being able to reroll a 331's perks for just 2 motes is a pretty sweet deal, and can potentially create some pretty sweet perk-packages. The inability to upgrade them to the new next expansion's attack rating takes away a lot of that potential; you end up spending a bunch of motes on a gun that ultimately will be obsolete in 2-3 months.

Still, it's a chance to create your own field scout / firefly / zen moment monster scout rifle, or crowd control / explosive rounds / clown cartridge hand cannon. I don't have the perk tables in front of me but you get the jist.

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 19:11 (3400 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yeah, I might play for a chance at a sniper or scout rifle drop, we will see. The scout rifle is pretty darn decent. Not interested in getting to rank 5 for timur's lash and that rocket launcher is horrible with a stock rocket payload of 1.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 21:16 (3400 days ago) @ slycrel

You might pull Timur in the reward screen, so you don't necessarily need to rank to get it.

not obsolete in regular crucible, just everywhere else

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 07:01 (3400 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Excellent Point

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 07:46 (3400 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I just dismantled my last shadow price, partly because I didn't have room for it and partly because I'd found better weapon rolls to replace it; but if you have a Perun's Fire or Timur's Lash with the best theoretical weapon roll in the game, there's no reason to dismantle it unless you literally get the same roll with a higher attack variant.

Best Roll for Perun's Fire?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:15 (3400 days ago) @ iconicbanana

In your opinion, what is the best roll for Perun's Fire?

Reddit had a great post on this

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:46 (3400 days ago) @ unoudid

Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2n3y9h/iron_banner_weapons_and_what_to_roll_for_guide/

Specifically regarding Perun's fire:

Perun's Fire:
Red Dot ORS1/Hip Fire/Hammerforged/Any

The massive range bonuses of Hammerforged/ORS1 tighten the hip fire spread even further beyond the effects of Hip Fire and maximize the speed of the projectiles. Hip fire build to maximize OHKOs. I feel it's better to go for Range as the Vendor Light/BEWARE already has a flawless Stability build and Range has a nice effect on both the spread of the projectiles when hip firing and speeds them up to make it harder to strafe out of part of the blast.

Odds are 1 in 75 rolls.

Odds of getting any combination of Red Dot OAS/Red Dot ORS1, Hip Fire/Rangefinder and Hammer Forged/Perfect Balance are ~15%. Those are the best overall sights/perks, imo. I don't recommend Accelerated Coils on this gun as it barely alters the charge time. You're so close to the cap on charge speed that you don't get the full benefit; Light/BEWARE and other Fusion Rifles also hit max charge speed with Accelerated Coils but are higher in every other stat since their base charge speed is lower, making them better choices.

My Perun's Fire

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:50 (3400 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Looks like I do have a good roll on mine. I remember reforging it a few times but couldn't remember why. I'm not really a fusion rifle connoisseur.

Red Dot-ORS
Hip Fire
Flared Magwell, Hammer Forged, Skip Rounds
Who's Next

My Perun's Fire

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:02 (3400 days ago) @ unoudid

Looks like I do have a good roll on mine. I remember reforging it a few times but couldn't remember why. I'm not really a fusion rifle connoisseur.

Red Dot-ORS
Hip Fire
Who's Next

The big shock with Perun's that I remember from my old one that I discarded was how little help accelerated coils were. Something to keep in mind with those fast charge ones: you don't necessarily need accelerated coils if you can minimize projectile spread instead. It's one of the reasons I think Murmur is especially good: outside of Plan C, I haven't used a fusion rifle with a tighter projectile spread. Getting a Perun's with a tight projectile spread is basically having a Plan C as a legendary.

Damn! Go buy Plug One!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 22:31 (3399 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Red Dot-ORS
Hip Fire
Who's Next

The big shock with Perun's that I remember from my old one that I discarded was how little help accelerated coils were. Something to keep in mind with those fast charge ones: you don't necessarily need accelerated coils if you can minimize projectile spread instead. It's one of the reasons I think Murmur is especially good: outside of Plan C, I haven't used a fusion rifle with a tighter projectile spread. Getting a Perun's with a tight projectile spread is basically having a Plan C as a legendary.

Plug One has most of the perks mentioned here. The vendor issued one has max stability and ludicrous range with virtually no spread. If you're not sure what to spend marks on, spend them on this.

Gauntlets are Raid-tier, minus the Radiant Shards...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 14:46 (3400 days ago) @ slycrel

I'd say those alone make it worth it.

Woah, I must have missed that in the update

by Monochron, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 18:42 (3400 days ago) @ Korny

I could have sworn they were all light 33? Hhm, I might consider participating now, though I'm already late to the party.

Hand Cannon much?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 14:56 (3400 days ago) @ slycrel

Apparently the Timur's Lash (hand cannon with the highest impact in the game) is on the purchasable menu (instead of being a random drop) - so there is that, I guess.

Personally, I don't find that (or anything else) to be a compelling enough reason for me to bust my butt grinding Iron Banner rep. I enjoy crucible, so if fellow DBOers are looking to run together over the next several days, I'm more than happy to join in - but no way I'm going to put in the effort required to get level 5 or whatever you need to get that gun.

Hand Cannon much?

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:19 (3400 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I am thinking about making a push for timur's lash, but I think I'll skip it since it's rank 5. Last time rank 5 meant sacrificing a full week of PvE. Not sure I want to do that again.

Hand Cannon much?

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:32 (3400 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I picked up timur's lash last time, and it seems pretty great -- but I don't PvP a ton and it's lower attack rating holds it back for current PvE play, so it gets used on an alt for patrols.

I ground for the scout rifle last time and was a bit peeved that it was only a few weeks before the expansion and it was useless before I really finished levelling it. So I was curious about opinions on time vs reward.

Not worth it, IMO...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:33 (3400 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I have three (maybe 2 if I sharded one) Timur's Lashes, from explosive rounds to reserve ammo on kills, and I've never really found it to be better than The Devil You Know (much less the higher-tier guns)...

It looks nice, though...

Not worth it, IMO...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:38 (3400 days ago) @ Korny
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:48

I have three (maybe 2 if I sharded one) Timur's Lashes, from explosive rounds to reserve ammo on kills, and I've never really found it to be better than The Devil You Know (much less the higher-tier guns)...

It looks nice, though...

My Venation III has a decent mag (9) and explosive rounds/crowd control...plus impact/reload equal to TDYK, but at 331. I sharded the last Timur I got.

I needed the weapon parts.

Hand Cannon much?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 15:57 (3400 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Apparently the Timur's Lash (hand cannon with the highest impact in the game) is on the purchasable menu (instead of being a random drop) - so there is that, I guess.

Personally, I don't find that (or anything else) to be a compelling enough reason for me to bust my butt grinding Iron Banner rep. I enjoy crucible, so if fellow DBOers are looking to run together over the next several days, I'm more than happy to join in - but no way I'm going to put in the effort required to get level 5 or whatever you need to get that gun.

1. Wait till the weekend.
2. Buy the tempered buff
3. Wear all your shaders and shit from last time

It shouldn't take nearly as long.

Hand Cannon much?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 22:56 (3400 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Apparently the Timur's Lash (hand cannon with the highest impact in the game)

For Crucible purposes, apparently others might challenge this notion:

[image]

Personally, I don't find that (or anything else) to be a compelling enough reason for me to bust my butt grinding Iron Banner rep. I enjoy crucible, so if fellow DBOers are looking to run together over the next several days, I'm more than happy to join in...

Had fun running those few games with you tonight. Won them all, I think.

Hand Cannon much?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 06:20 (3400 days ago) @ Korny

Apparently the Timur's Lash (hand cannon with the highest impact in the game)

For Crucible purposes, apparently others might challenge this notion:

[image]

It looks like those two have the same impact, right? Can either/both of them compete with Hawkmoon/Thorn/TLW in crucible - two-shotting teh noobs?

Personally, I don't find that (or anything else) to be a compelling enough reason for me to bust my butt grinding Iron Banner rep. I enjoy crucible, so if fellow DBOers are looking to run together over the next several days, I'm more than happy to join in...

Had fun running those few games with you tonight. Won them all, I think.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun too. Would have been happy to keep running Iron Banner all night if it weren't for the chance to run 5 Nightfalls/Weeklies in less than two hours.

Hand Cannon much?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:10 (3400 days ago) @ Speedracer513

It looks like those two have the same impact, right? Can either/both of them compete with Hawkmoon/Thorn/TLW in crucible - two-shotting teh noobs?

I got the primed big sky as an iron banner drop yesterday, and accidentally went into a game after being in the tower (I had it equipped for bounty experience, forgot to switch back to TLW when I fired up Iron Banner) - it does a lot of damage, but its firing rate is so much slower that I thought my gun was broken or that there was lag or something. ;)

Don't have a Timur's Lash, but I'm guessing that Primed Big Sky will make a nice alternative to TLW when I'm prepared for the slower rate (and want a different exotic in MM). ;)

Hand Cannon much?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:33 (3400 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I got the primed big sky as an iron banner drop yesterday, and accidentally went into a game after being in the tower (I had it equipped for bounty experience, forgot to switch back to TLW when I fired up Iron Banner) - it does a lot of damage, but its firing rate is so much slower that I thought my gun was broken or that there was lag or something. ;)

Don't have a Timur's Lash, but I'm guessing that Primed Big Sky will make a nice alternative to TLW when I'm prepared for the slower rate (and want a different exotic in MM). ;)

Yeah... compared to TLW, everything seems to have a slow rate of fire. :-)

Hand Cannon much?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 09:56 (3400 days ago) @ Claude Errera

i have a 300 Timur's lash. It is really slow firing. if you can land headshots though, it doesn't really matter.

I keep it on my secondary character just so it has a decent handcannon (fatebringer, TLW, thorn are all on my primary).

Iron Banner -- NOT worth the GLIMMER grind?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:32 (3399 days ago) @ slycrel

The actual Iron Banner event is super easy right now because of Christmas Noobs who are playing at level 21.

The mindless glimmer farming to actually buy everything is the hard part and, frankly, has never been worth it. Why the hell does a PvP event REQUIRE SO MUCH PVE FARMING???

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 17:44 (3399 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The actual Iron Banner event is super easy right now because of Christmas Noobs who are playing at level 21.

The mindless glimmer farming to actually buy everything is the hard part and, frankly, has never been worth it. Why the hell does a PvP event REQUIRE SO MUCH PVE FARMING???

I'd say it's because they want to give you incentive to play the non-PvP part of the game... Grind and all that.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 20:07 (3399 days ago) @ Korny

I don't call standing on a hillside sniping endlessly spawning yellow dudes "playing."

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread