I got 2 ascendent energy for nightfall (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 00:17 (3403 days ago)

Literally. Reward was a single engram, which decoded into energy.

First of all, why do engrams still decode to shards or energy? This is dumb, because if I wanted shards or energy I'd DISMANTLE THE ITEM. You only ruin someone's day.

Second of all, you shouldn't get engrams at all for nightfall, but an item read and decoded.

I feel you...

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 01:27 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I feel you but at least you got something... I just did the nightfall, or tried to at least, and just as I was about to lay the final shots on Sepiks Destiny froze and died on me. The rest of my fireteam completed the strike but I didn't get cred or anything. Crota tonight didn't give me any armor or weapons, and completed VoG on Hard for the first time as well and the only thing that dropped for me was Weapons and boots that I already had. This game sometimes...

9 strange coins and 12 strange coins

by petetheduck, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 05:43 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I hope Xur has something good this weekend.

He'd better

by ChaosSociety, Oregon, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 06:11 (3403 days ago) @ petetheduck

I got 10 coins and a pulse rifle I'll never use.

All I got was a Gjallarhorn :p

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 05:50 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by someotherguy, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 05:55

Twice in one night

/bragging

Edit: That said, the drop rate on the old Ghorn seems to have gone up since the DLC. Only anecdotal evidence of course, but pre-dlc we had 1 Gjallarhorn in the clan. Since December we've had 8 more.

Course, the usual caveats apply -we have more high level characters running high level content than we used to. And RNG is R.

Weird though.

All I got was a Gjallarhorn :p

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:25 (3403 days ago) @ someotherguy

I, too, got my first Gjallarhorn last night.

Shhhh! Keep it down!

by Earendil, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:42 (3403 days ago) @ BeardFade

Beorn or Zero will hear you.

I hear everything

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:58 (3403 days ago) @ Earendil

Beorn or Zero will hear you.

Oh, go suck on some sun balls!

1 Exotic Shard and 2 Energy

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 06:43 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Given, I got those by dismantling a crappy Rocket Launcher and a Knucklehead Radar helmet that I already had (with better stats).

I Agree With Cody.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:11 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And no, it's not because he's my hero!

I got 7 Ascendant Energy(which hey, I'm still glad to have), but that completely defeats the purpose of Nightfall.

The Weekly Nightfall Strike is supposed to be one of the hardest and most error-costly challenges that you can ever face in Destiny(save for the Raids), and we're supposed to get untold rewards of the highest caliber that would make the endeavor worth it and make us want to come back. Ascendancy is good, but not for something as challenging as Nightfall.

Lemme tell you a story--one I might have told before.

I have an alarm set on my iPhone to go off at midnight every single night, that reminds me to load up Sonic Dash, Crazy Taxi:City Rush, The Simpsons: Tapped Out, and Sonic Jump Fever.

Shut up.

When I do that, I get a daily reward for coming back, which increases in amount and variety for each day. Each day, I get something different, sometimes new, but most importantly, more.

Now to my point. I love Destiny. I really do.(well, the single player/PvE.) But the only reason I keep coming back every single day, is because of Bounties, Daily Heroics and Public Events--specifically in that order. Since Bungie is....almost pretty much taking a page from those same mobile game mechanics, they should take another one, and increase Daily Heroic Rewards on a progressive, increasing incentive. 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 with a special engram, 85% Legendary, 15% Exotic. People would come fucking running.. And it doesn't have to be all the same thing. A randomizer would be almost perfect in a situation like that:

[*] 2 Energies
[*]2 Energies/2 Shards
[*]4 Shards/2 Energies
[*]5 Energies/3 Shards
[*]10 of either, or just any other "=10" combination.

How good would it feel if you did a Daily and got all that, plus a friggin' Plan C or a Dragon's Breath or (insert Exotic weapon you have a boner for)?

Now, in one of my games, Sonic Dash, if you got to Day 5 and kept going, they'd just keep you at Day 5 and you'd get the best rewards forever as long as you don't screw up and forget to come back. As they quickly realized themselves, doing that in Destiny would be an absolute disaster. So, after Day 5 the rewards reset. That would disharmonize a lot of people, sure. But how about this? After 20 consecutive days of Daily Heroics completed, you get a GUARANTEED EXOTIC!!

How's that!?

[image]

I Agree With Cody.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:35 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

The Weekly Nightfall Strike is supposed to be one of the hardest and most error-costly challenges that you can ever face in Destiny(save for the Raids)

Eh. We've recently started doing Nightfalls on Tuesday night, followed immediately by the Weekly Heroic - and I've learned that elemental burn often makes the Nightfall CONSIDERABLY easier than the exact same strike, without the burn.

With Arc Burn on, my LDR 5001 gets 8200 damage vs Sepiks (with occasional 30,000+ damage on random bullets).

With it off, it's a piddly 2600 or so.

Takes WAY longer to kill the bosses, which means WAY more adds.

Same is true with any other elemental burn. Yes, everything else is more dangerous - but that just means I'm careful.

The Nexus as a Nightfall is a breeze with void weapons... not so much as the weekly heroic.

I'm not really weighing in about the prize packages (which is really what this thread is about) - but I AM saying that you're wrong when you suggest it's among the hardest challenges you face in Destiny's PvE.

Getting kicked back to orbit on wipe is pretty brutal.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:53 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

My team made it to Sepiks yesterday, then a quick lapse in judgement resulted in all three of us dying within 10 seconds. So we had to start the whole strike over.

Whereas in the weekly heroic, we would have just been dropped at where we were a minute earlier.

THAT's why it is considered to be the toughest PvE Challenge in the game, sans raids.

So it punishes mistakes harder

by Earendil, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:51 (3403 days ago) @ CyberKN

But are mistakes easier to make?

In other words, it seems we are defining difficultly as
(Time) * (Frequency of mistakes) * (severity of punishment) = difficulty.

I'd say that in nightfall, the frequency of high severity mistakes is really really low. Usually when I'm in a nightfall that completely wipes, it's because there was a level of caution below the level we were at, and we chose not to take it. One of the best ways I know to lower mistake frequency is to simply be more cautious.

(Time) in nightfall is also minimized compared to heroic, because things simply die faster. Also, nightfall with the different burns allows a guardian to dig him/her self out of a lot of mistakes that Heroic simply does not.

Maybe it's the play style. Nightfall rewards a cautious playstyle which I most certainly have. It punishes the aggressive player that may win faster (less time) but increases the frequency of mistakes.

I think Bungie is addressing this actually...

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:01 (3403 days ago) @ Earendil

... I think they didn't realize that the raid primary weapons from VoG make the nightfall so much easier. I think without those it would be much more difficult. I ran alongside 2 hawkmoons this week and felt a bit underpowered. =)

I think Bungie is addressing this actually...

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:30 (3403 days ago) @ slycrel

Having Vision of Confluence made it easy to have a primary for the Shanks this week while having secondaries and heavies with arc damage. Was/is perfect for the Nightfall.

Wait hold on.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 06:10 (3402 days ago) @ BeardFade

Didn't realize you're also a Portland native! Now there are 3 of us!

You could go on real life strikes with a full fireteam.

by ckamp, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:54 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Wait hold on.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:55 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Not a native, but we live here now. Being friends in real life with ckamp and rellekh will influence you to move to this gorgeous, but wet state. :)

I Agree With Cody.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:59 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The Weekly Nightfall Strike is supposed to be one of the hardest and most error-costly challenges that you can ever face in Destiny(save for the Raids)

Eh. We've recently started doing Nightfalls on Tuesday night, followed immediately by the Weekly Heroic - and I've learned that elemental burn often makes the Nightfall CONSIDERABLY easier than the exact same strike, without the burn.

With Arc Burn on, my LDR 5001 gets 8200 damage vs Sepiks (with occasional 30,000+ damage on random bullets).

With it off, it's a piddly 2600 or so.

Takes WAY longer to kill the bosses, which means WAY more adds.

Same is true with any other elemental burn. Yes, everything else is more dangerous - but that just means I'm careful.

The Nexus as a Nightfall is a breeze with void weapons... not so much as the weekly heroic.

I'm not really weighing in about the prize packages (which is really what this thread is about) - but I AM saying that you're wrong when you suggest it's among the hardest challenges you face in Destiny's PvE.

It certainly can be. There have been a few recently that were much easier than they've normally been.

I disagree with Morpheus's claim that it's supposed to be anything. Rewards are random.

I Agree With Cody.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:42 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

30,000+ on Sepiks? What kind of crazy gun have you got there?!

I Agree With Cody.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:05 (3403 days ago) @ someotherguy

30,000+ on Sepiks? What kind of crazy gun have you got there?!

Actually, the 30,000 might be on the Devil Walker. It's a standard LDR 5001 (though I got it in a drop, rather than buying it, so it has a fun Clown Cartridge perk). I just remember seeing a couple of crazy-high damage numbers along the way. :)

I Agree With Cody.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:07 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That sounds about right. When you blast the Walker in the leg and that particular shot causes it to fall down, it can do insane amounts of extra damage.

I Agree With Cody.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:34 (3403 days ago) @ Avateur

Is it extra damage? I always thought it was just flashing the total damage that had been done to the leg.

I Agree With Cody.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:50 (3403 days ago) @ stabbim

Hm, that's a really good question. I thought that it was an extra amount that got landed, especially because it seems like the overall health bar takes a nice hit. I don't know for sure though.

It's extra damage

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 14:00 (3403 days ago) @ Avateur

Hm, that's a really good question. I thought that it was an extra amount that got landed, especially because it seems like the overall health bar takes a nice hit. I don't know for sure though.

I like to think of it as a "reward" for knocking the leg casing off.

It's extra damage

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:35 (3403 days ago) @ Beorn

I like to think of it as a "reward" for knocking the leg casing off.

I was telling Cody that the ideal, and fastest way to kill a walker (without Burn damage) is to simply focus on its legs, and save your ammo when the "weak" point is exposed. Five of six legs should be enough for a kill given the extra damage applied when you blow the leg off.

I Agree With Cody.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 14:02 (3403 days ago) @ Avateur

it seems like the overall health bar takes a nice hit.

You might be right about that part. I keep forgetting to watch the health bar when it happens.

I Agree With Cody.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:20 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Which is true, but it's "supposed" to be the hardest. It isn't, but I guess the constant threatening overhang of Nightfall, the additional mods(such as Angry and Lightswitch) and the Epic mod as well--makes it "seem" that way. The Burn mods do make things a lot easier if you're selective with your weapons and such, but of course you still have to be careful so that YOU don't get one-hit killed, too. If those burns weren't on there(or worse, actually were one-sided as I erroneously thought before), then yes it definitely would be harder.

I Agree With Cody.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:27 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What about last week's with NO burn?

This is why I'd like to see the burn element go away, and be replaced by other mods such as no supers or no heavy weapons, etc.

I Agree With Cody.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:31 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heh. That was hard. :) (Those friggin' psions...)

This is why I'd like to see the burn element go away, and be replaced by other mods such as no supers or no heavy weapons, etc.

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

I Agree With Cody.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:52 (3403 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh. That was hard. :) (Those friggin' psions...)

Absolutely.

> > This is why I'd like to see the burn element go away, and be replaced by other mods such as no supers or no heavy weapons, etc.

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

Meh, I don't really think that. While I get what you mean Cody, those steps kinda seem...huge.

I Agree With Cody.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:41 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So basically Halo CE* on Legendary?

*For the purposes of this snark post, please ignore the existence of the Halo rocket launcher.

I Agree With Cody.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:25 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

Now, in one of my games, Sonic Dash, if you got to Day 5 and kept going, they'd just keep you at Day 5 and you'd get the best rewards forever as long as you don't screw up and forget to come back. As they quickly realized themselves, doing that in Destiny would be an absolute disaster. So, after Day 5 the rewards reset. That would disharmonize a lot of people, sure. But how about this? After 20 consecutive days of Daily Heroics completed, you get a GUARANTEED EXOTIC!!

How's that!?

How about missing a day because PSN is down? Or because life.

I Agree With Cody.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:55 (3403 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sounds like Destiny shouldn't be online-only, huh?

Or that it should respect your time as a gamer way more than it does.

Also, Nightfalls should totally pay out Radiant materials sometimes.

I Agree With Cody.

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:25 (3403 days ago) @ Avateur

Sounds like Destiny shouldn't be online-only, huh?

Offline games can't incorporate any time-sensitive mechanics because of the lack of integrity: the player simply changes their system clock.

It's something that simply doesn't exist in offline games, so it's incomparable.

I Agree With Cody.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 13:28 (3403 days ago) @ petetheduck

How about missing a day because PSN is down? Or because life.

You think they'd care? So many times in those games their system was down and it was "tough luck".
Pfft--when I almost died in 2013, neither Sega nor Fox Games sent any consolation gifts or mercy in my daily reward record. So yeah, that'll happen, but there's nothing to be done about it.

Last night, in fact--me and two friends were doing the Weekly Heroic, and literally with only a few shots left, one of them got booted back to orbit on internet problems. I mean literally right at the end with Sepiks being pretty much already dead.

I got a shotgun. At least you had a chance! ;)

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:13 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Slycrel == guaranteed shotgun drop

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:34 (3403 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

I tend to think of it more as a chance to roll a legendary

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:48 (3403 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by iconicbanana, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:52

Literally. Reward was a single engram, which decoded into energy.

First of all, why do engrams still decode to shards or energy? This is dumb, because if I wanted shards or energy I'd DISMANTLE THE ITEM. You only ruin someone's day.

Second of all, you shouldn't get engrams at all for nightfall, but an item read and decoded.

I think last week I ended up with shards on both of my runs. This week I rolled two legendary guns, and I think this is the strength of Nightfall's rewards: it offers a chance at a random roll. Most of the time I shard the guns because the roll isn't good, but that isn't the point.

The point is that this is one of highest odds-on for a random pull in the game: in a given week, a usually average at least one legendary item in the 2 attempts I play. In terms of rewards and not purchases, that's pretty good. The only other source that's close to that reliable is ranking vanguard/crucible/faction, and you get a healthy amount of experience to help you out there as well when you complete Nightfall.

Throw in the fact that nightfall usually offers an interesting and novel challenge, and I'm okay with not pulling down something great every week. The anticipation of a sweet roll is worth more than the reward itself to me anyway.

[image]
It's all about the sweet roll.

Exactly.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:01 (3403 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread