The Cargo Cult of Game Mechanics (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 08:22 (3403 days ago)

Not sure how much I agree or disagree yet, but there is some truth in there to be heard about the game design of Destiny I think. http://acko.net/blog/the-cargo-cult-of-game-mechanics/

The Cargo Cult of Game Mechanics

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:59 (3403 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Developers and Gamers both have an idea of what they want from a game. I think it's rare that they are the same. It's also not always a bad thing if they are different. When I look back to the original Halo, it's obvious now that people were really excited about the physics engine, which might be why so many Warthogs were propelled to the horizon by grenades.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:29 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Very interesting. But I think Destiny is almost the opposite of his examples. It's a game of contradiction. The player feels great, moves great, has interesting mechanics and good feel. The world around the player is all window dressing with no substance, poor AI, boring and repetitive tasks (another round of "Defend the Door Simulator," anyone?), and terrible, TERRIBLE story.

it's like a candy with a beautiful, amazing, detailed, but incredibly thin shell, literal poop, and then a delicious chewy center.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 05:12 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Tedious grind disguised as content which exploits a users drug like addiction to "achievement" to keep them coming back for more... Interestingly enough a lot of the people caught in this vicious world of warcrack like feedback loop would say that they're having "fun" whenever they get they take a hit off the completionist bong. To me they look more like hamsters running in a wheel who occasionally get to hop off and take a sip out of their opium infused water bottle.

Engaging read, I like the scope that he brings to the discussion. He manages to cover a lot of ground but has an economy of words that prevents it from becoming a TLDR situation.

If I were to toss a couple more thoughts into the ring regarding problems with modern game design, I'd say that there's a certain homogeneous nature to games these days. RPG elements like skill trees and experience are shoehorned into every game. Crafting, quests, loot systems... they're everywhere. My eyes just about rolled right out of their sockets the first time I harvested a plant in Destiny.

I have another theory that I haven't read anywhere else but it might be discussed places, and that's that larger development teams make for less interesting games. Sort of a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario. When you have a dozen people working on the same thing, as opposed to one or two people, the ideas and execution almost have to be watered down somewhat I think.

I've worked on levels and mods and whatnot for a variety of games over the years, nothing really successful or noteworthy but when I imagine trying to do the work I was doing, except having a whole room full of people also working on the same thing and having their voices heard in equal part, I can't imagine ending up with something other than a bland and generic product at the end. Compromise is a killer, I think, in an artistic endeavor. The best games have bold ideas and have a strong, unique character to them and I think that's impossible to achieve when things are focus grouped to death.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:13 (3402 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

To me they look more like hamsters running in a wheel who occasionally get to hop off and take a sip out of their opium infused water bottle.

The term that quote's looking for is "Skinner Box" and I don't think Destiny is enough of one to be exploitative, so I'm fine in just saying "If it's fun, it's fun" and leaving it be.

But that's just my two cents.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:46 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It doesn't need to be exploitative to work that way. There's no denying that the vast majority of your time playing Destiny beyond the 15 hours or whatever it takes to go from level 1 to 20 is replaying the same missions over and over, with the purpose basically to increase bars until they ding, whether those bars are on guns, or your light level. Or worse still, running endlessly around harvesting materials to make those guns ding, the most senseless time-wasting grinding you could possibly add to a game.

If you find running around just shooting stuff in the game to be fun, good on you, for me it plays like a pared down less interesting version of Halo, but I can certainly understand why some people would get into it. From a broader perspective however, with what the game is trying to accomplish in terms of retaining its players, it is most definitely operating on a Skinner box principle.

Opinions on this game vary wildly, but I think it would be a little silly to pretend that there isn't a bit of a carrot on a stick mechanism keeping a lot of people coming back for more.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:54 (3401 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Oh, it's a Skinner Box.

I'm just saying that it isn't exploitative enough for it's ultimate Skinner Box nature to be a problem, to me.

If the fun that's being had is legitimate, than that's enough for me; I find replaying the same parts to be fun, and that's what the game is. Someone who doesn't find that fun at all, but who's still playing it because of the bars going up, is where a problem comes in. I don't think Destiny is that exploitative that the latter case arises to a worrisome degree.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:28 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Agreed, I don't see it as worrisome from an exploitative perspective, I just think its poor design.

I can see how the shooty bits and coop stuff could be fun for people. It's not for me, but I can see that.

Fair

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:49 (3401 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:28 (3402 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

It seems to me like Bungie was trying to mitigate this effect by how they designed their team to work. By using "postcards" to describe the feel of each area of the game from an artwork perspective I think they managed to make each area a complete area without feeling like it was designed by a bunch of independent people. I think this worked for the shooting aspect of the Gameplay as well. Since everybody knew they wanted the shooting to feel like a "Bungie Shooter" that helped to give the entire team a direction.

Unfortunately I don't think that works for Story. Story is one of those things that I don't think you can give good "postcards" for. It seems like you really just need one person in charge of the story with other people there to help provide ideas and additional perspectives to flush out the details. My understanding is that even with books, usually just one author writes the book. Usually in a two-author situation there is still really just one main author.

The story is just a bunch of one-liners and cliches

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:41 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Unfortunately I don't think that works for Story. Story is one of those things that I don't think you can give good "postcards" for. It seems like you really just need one person in charge of the story with other people there to help provide ideas and additional perspectives to flush out the details. My understanding is that even with books, usually just one author writes the book. Usually in a two-author situation there is still really just one main author.

Generally the more authorial voices you add, the more likely the one good writer you have will be drowned out, if you have one good writer in a team (if you're lucky; there aren't many good writers out there). The more voices you add means the less voice the good writer gets.

Destiny's story lacks focus, and feels cobbled together. Probably because the strong voice that was guiding it, and trying to focus the committee, left the project a year before release. The committee then put together a bunch of cliches because a group of writers usually just try to hit every ball out of the park, and end up with a bunch of one-liners and cliches.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:46 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Destiny's story lacks focus, and feels cobbled together. Probably because the strong voice that was guiding it, and trying to focus the committee, left the project a year before release. The committee then put together a bunch of cliches because a group of writers usually just try to hit every ball out of the park, and end up with a bunch of one-liners and cliches.

Video game writing is bad because the people who work in the video games industry tend to be… well let's just say more nerdy. I'm willing to bet a lot of them haven't really experienced much of life besides being in front of a screen, thus cliches and stuff they see elsewhere is par for the course.

There are exceptions, and when that happens is when you get good writing.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:53 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Video game writing is bad because the people who work in the video games industry tend to be… well let's just say more nerdy. I'm willing to bet a lot of them haven't really experienced much of life besides being in front of a screen, thus cliches and stuff they see elsewhere is par for the course.

There are exceptions, and when that happens is when you get good writing.

This happens across different cross-sections of culture; these days, large game studios employ a fair number of writers who otherwise don't have a great deal of technical savvy. It holds true everywhere: most people, in any industry that requires writing, can't write. Most movie scripts are awful (the number of direct-to-video movies out there can attest to this; hell, did you see Snowpiercer?); most TV show writers are awful; most games these days struggle mixing art-direction with game-design. Having more writers doesn't increase the chances you'll get better writing: it just increases the chances a good writer will get drowned out.

Remember when Peter Jackson was supposed to make a Halo game

by ckamp, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:12 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I honestly wonder how that would have turned out. My gut says it would have been awful, but we might have actually seen a coherent script. Than again, he probably would have needlessly extended it over three releases giving us only parts of the story that don't make sense on their own. On second thought, maybe he just would have made Destiny... :-)

I thought it was a movie...?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:15 (3402 days ago) @ ckamp

I honestly wonder how that would have turned out. My gut says it would have been awful, but we might have actually seen a coherent script. Than again, he probably would have needlessly extended it over three releases giving us only parts of the story that don't make sense on their own. On second thought, maybe he just would have made Destiny... :-)

Didn't that movie turn into District 9? I though Jackson was Producing and that Neill Blomkamp dude was supposed to direct or something.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:26 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

He was also supposed to do a Halo game of some kind. It would not have been a shooter.

by ckamp, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:29 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Like Blackt1g3r said, he was supposedly developing a lot of different things at the same time. One turned into District 9. The other... vaporware. Probably for the best though.

Huh. The more you know.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:31 (3402 days ago) @ ckamp

Like Blackt1g3r said, he was supposedly developing a lot of different things at the same time. One turned into District 9. The other... vaporware. Probably for the best though.

Indeed. Much for the best.

Although this was pretty cool.

HBO Link

by ckamp, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:39 (3402 days ago) @ iconicbanana

First announcement

You can search the HBO news archive for more details. It was still in the works through 2008 as far as I could tell. Two years after the announcement.

And yes, at least we got Landfall.

Here, Learn Some Stuff

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:40 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Peter Jackson Halo Game Announcement (Since Cancelled)

Sounds to me like it was going to be more interactive film than game, but maybe that's just Peter Jackson sounding artistic.

The more I read the happier I am this never happened.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:48 (3401 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

word

by ckamp, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:51 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Degrading generalizations FTW!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:32 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:22 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

My understanding is that even with books, usually just one author writes the book. Usually in a two-author situation there is still really just one main author.

I've read some genuine collaborations between authours; the process, as described by one (whom I forget, alas) is that each authour contributes 2/3 of the work. :) Doing a real shared story involves a lot of back and forth between the writers to make sure each part works with the rest... and time spent on that overhead can very quickly exceed time spent writing the part that the audience sees. If you skip that work, though, then the parts will tend to mesh poorly.

-- Steve thinks having one core writer results in a better story told more quickly, though ancillary stuff (and research!) can be done by supporting writers.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:38 (3402 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I have another theory that I haven't read anywhere else but it might be discussed places, and that's that larger development teams make for less interesting games. Sort of a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario.

This is wrong. In fact, it's the opposite of true. The better games get, the more people will have to be on the team.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:41 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think it's more like a trade-off. The bigger the game, the more people you need to get things done. The more people you have, the harder it is to stick to a single vision of a good game.

I think it is made pretty clear in "Masters of Doom". You look at the different companies in that book and you sort of get the impression that you want as small a team as possible to create the game that you want. If the team gets too large then the quality of the game starts dropping because nobody can keep track of everything and ensure that it's all consistent.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:47 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think it's more like a trade-off. The bigger the game, the more people you need to get things done. The more people you have, the harder it is to stick to a single vision of a good game.

This is why then you need a good director to reign everybody in and make sure everybody does what's appropriate. It's a position and skill that's more important as teams get bigger.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:49 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is why then you need a good director to reign everybody in and make sure everybody does what's appropriate. It's a position and skill that's more important as teams get bigger.

I think it's also a position that gets more difficult as the team gets larger. If you give too much power to the director you miss out on a lot of good ideas from the team. If you give too much power to the team, the director doesn't do anything.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:41 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have another theory that I haven't read anywhere else but it might be discussed places, and that's that larger development teams make for less interesting games. Sort of a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario.

This is wrong. In fact, it's the opposite of true. The better games get, the more people will have to be on the team.

I've played outstanding games made jointly by five hundred people and amazing games made by just one or two people. I've enjoyed hundreds of hours in Destiny or Skyrim, but have also enjoyed quite a few playing FTL or Aquaria. I'd argue that team size doesn't really matter that much. Its good ideas that are key.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:36 (3402 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Its good ideas that are key.

Nah. Good ideas are dime a dozen. Execution is everything. Some good ideas simply don't need a lot of people to execute well.

Remember: No position of 'ideas guy' on dev teams.

No Generalizations are Everything!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:09 (3402 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:51 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody, is this some twisted joke?

I've been staring at this post for the last 5 minutes trying to work out how you (of all people) could think this.

If this was even remotely true, Assassin's creed would be the greatest franchise in the history of games ever.

You want a good, original game, with deep game-play? Give a reasonably small group of talented people a decent amount of time and freedom. Will it work every time? No, but looking over the past couple of years, it's hard to say that AAA games developed by small armies of developers and artists aren't struggling to maintain a certain level of quality. And a decent chunk of my favourite games have been developed by teams of >10 people.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:58 (3401 days ago) @ CyberKN

The only way that post makes any real sense is if when he says as games get 'better' he means games that are more technologically advanced (more complex graphics, animation, etc.). I personally don't think that games that are more technologically complex are somehow inherently superior to older, less technologically complex games (the original article that started this discussion actually argued somewhat convincingly that the limitations of older tech were actually good for game design, not bad) but I suppose that's a point of view you could take if you are really blown away by things like good volumetric lighting.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:29 (3401 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

(the original article that started this discussion actually argued somewhat convincingly that the limitations of older tech were actually good for game design, not bad) but I suppose that's a point of view you could take if you are really blown away by things like good volumetric lighting.

Deus Ex is a monster of a game, unequalled to this day. But it had bad graphics even at the time. Bad AI. No convincing lip sync, etc. Can you imagine if the game was as it was, but those limitations lifted? It'd be better. It'd be more immersive.

Saying limitations improve game design is like saying that if you only have one color you'd be a better painter.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:39 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

(the original article that started this discussion actually argued somewhat convincingly that the limitations of older tech were actually good for game design, not bad) but I suppose that's a point of view you could take if you are really blown away by things like good volumetric lighting.

Deus Ex is a monster of a game, unequalled to this day. But it had bad graphics even at the time. Bad AI. No convincing lip sync, etc. Can you imagine if the game was as it was, but those limitations lifted? It'd be better. It'd be more immersive.

Saying limitations improve game design is like saying that if you only have one color you'd be a better painter.

Well, all of the paintings we find valuable today were painted years ago. You seem to be looking to immersion through better graphics as the way to build better game experiences, whereas the author was arguing it only leads to better presentation while experience has been ignored. Picasso painted Guernica with one color.

I'm not really making a coherent point I just don't think you thought yours through.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:46 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Well, all of the paintings we find valuable today were painted years ago.

The world of high art is all sorts of messed up, since it more about the sign value of the work, rather than the artistic quality and mastery displayed.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:52 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The world of high art is all sorts of messed up, since it more about the sign value of the work, rather than the artistic quality and mastery displayed.

Let's play it your way. If you're saying that we can ignore the perceived value of art from the past than by proxy we can ignore your perceived value of Deus Ex and other past games too. Are we getting anywhere or would you rather run in circles?

And if you want to ignore the fact that plenty of painters chose to work in one color, that's fine, but I think Guernica as an analogy for say, FTL, is pretty fair. Minimalism doesn't make less of something. I think playing FTL was as enjoyable and immersive as Destiny.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:58 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Let's play it your way. If you're saying that we can ignore the perceived value of art from the past than by proxy we can ignore your perceived value of Deus Ex and other past games too. Are we getting anywhere or would you rather run in circles?

Yes fine ignore that and judge it on its strength as a game. It is one of the best, if not the best ever created. This won't change regardless of how loved or hated it is, or how much of a status icon it becomes or doesn't become. That will only change if greater games are made now.

I am sure cave paintings were magnificent when they were created, but today we see them for what they are: crude and lacking in skill. That's not the artist's fault, but simply the fact that technique has been refined and taught over 1000s of years. Today's paintings had BETTER be better!

So despite the fact that games SHOULD be getting significantly better, many aren't. And the "indie" movement is partly to blame. FTL included. Because these games are actually anti-progress.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:07 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes fine ignore that and judge it on its strength as a game. It is one of the best, if not the best ever created. This won't change regardless of how loved or hated it is, or how much of a status icon it becomes or doesn't become. That will only change if greater games are made now.

I am sure cave paintings were magnificent when they were created, but today we see them for what they are: crude and lacking in skill. That's not the artist's fault, but simply the fact that technique has been refined and taught over 1000s of years. Today's paintings had BETTER be better!

Honestly, Deus Ex is probably going to look like a cave painting in about 40 years.

So despite the fact that games SHOULD be getting significantly better, many aren't. And the "indie" movement is partly to blame.

If the developers of Deus Ex had to spend the majority of their time on the graphic engine and AI of the original Deus Ex, it wouldn't necessarily be better, would it be? That sounds like a Post Hoc fallacy to me; just because we have better tools now to make games doesn't necessarily mean games will be better.

And the fact that you simply dismiss indie games like this is a hasty generalization.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:42 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Honestly, Deus Ex is probably going to look like a cave painting in about 40 years.

YES! That's the whole point of progress. If it doesn't, then we've been wasting our time.

And the fact that you simply dismiss indie games like this is a hasty generalization.

Name an "indie" game that has significantly advanced the artform or been extremely influential for the better.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:47 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Name an "indie" game that has significantly advanced the artform or been extremely influential for the better.

I loved Faster Than Light. I played Super Meat Boy for hours. I find Cortex Command to be demeaningly enjoyable. But I don't think you and I are finding common ground here because I think you want things from this industry that I don't. I also don't think you'll change your mind or entertain other lines of thought.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:58 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I loved Faster Than Light. I played Super Meat Boy for hours. I find Cortex Command to be demeaningly enjoyable. But I don't think you and I are finding common ground here because I think you want things from this industry that I don't. I also don't think you'll change your mind or entertain other lines of thought.

None of those games are even close to the peak of their respective genres, nor did they drive anything industry wide. You can love them, but there are many NON indie offerings that are BETTER, and often significantly so.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:07 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

None of those games are even close to the peak of their respective genres, nor did they drive anything industry wide. You can love them, but there are many NON indie offerings that are BETTER, and often significantly so.

I can't help but feel like you missed the point of the article because you can't understand the perspective of the author. Whether you want to or not is the point.

I also don't think anyone agrees with you here because nobody here thinks of games strictly as an immersive artform seeking some pinnacle experience. Maybe that's the point of vidya or maybe it isn't, but perspectively, I feel a lot happier in my world.

Subjectivity is all you'll find here, brother.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:12 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I also don't think anyone agrees with you here because nobody here thinks of games strictly as an immersive artform seeking some pinnacle experience.

LOL. That's exactly what games are. If you think otherwise… I think you need to study art history more.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:20 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I also don't think anyone agrees with you here because nobody here thinks of games strictly as an immersive artform seeking some pinnacle experience.

LOL. That's exactly what games are. If you think otherwise… I think you need to study art history more.

I either just realized you have a sense of humor, or you need to leave the house more often.

We live in hope!

On Subjectivity

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:24 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would say that isn't what a game is.

I would say it's an interactive vehicle intended to lead to gratification of some kind. I'd imagine that gratification is generally enjoyment.

Games don't have to be immersive; many are. They don't have to seek a pinnacle experience; many are mediocre and fully aware of it.

I don't need to study art history because you are wrong on the very face of it.

On a tangent, one should gauge a game's quality on what it delivers, how it delivers it, and the variation (or lack thereof) throughout the game.

But because one of the ways you gauge a game is by the reaction it elicits, it means that a game's quality is, in part, subjective. So you can't just objectively state "This game is better than that one"; you just can't. So you can't say that Super Meat Boy is pointless because there's better or more influential games in existence; it's a game that plenty of people enjoy. That in itself justifies its existence. That's what it's doing for the medium.

It's existing, and being good. Hell, even if a game is just a big "okay", then that's fine. Someone out there will enjoy it. It isn't hurting the industry just because it isn't doing anything in and of itself to significantly help it. Because most games aren't incredibly innovative or commonly agreed upon to be the pinnacle of a genre or anything. But if none of them existed, the industry would suffer. Good, but not particularly remarkable games have to exist. Something has to be the bulk that makes up most of a type of artwork. The idea that they all have to be striving for the pinnacle is snobbish. Does every book have to aim to be the best in its genre? Should they even, when that is quite clearly not going to happen for most of them? Should someone who feels they can't write a better fantasy story than the Lord of the Rings just not write fantasy?

Should I stop playing Dungeons & Dragons because I can imagine someone could run a campaign or play a character better than I?

Have I done enough reductio ad absurdum via rhetorical questions yet?

On Subjectivity

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:28 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Should I stop playing Dungeons & Dragons because I can imagine someone could run a campaign or play a character better than I?

In a sense. I would try to seek out the best DM you can find. You'd have to admit the experience is better with a good DM than with a bad one. I would definitely refuse to play with someone who is unimaginative.

On Subjectivity

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:38 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In a sense. I would try to seek out the best DM you can find. You'd have to admit the experience is better with a good DM than with a bad one. I would definitely refuse to play with someone who is unimaginative.

I and my group were having fun when I DMed. I was nowhere near the best DM imaginable. I would say I was good, because it was fun, and the purpose was mainly just having fun. We might have had less fun with a better DM, because of a relative lack of camaraderie, or them wanting to run a campaign that wasn't as much to the players' liking. But if I was good because it was fun, and they were agreed to be a better DM because of experience, imagination, and storytelling acumen, which are agreed upon good qualities of DMs, but less fun was had because I was a better fit for the group, what's up with that?

The perceived quality of a DM is partly dependent on the players involved, too.

The perceived quality of a game is, I would say, similarly partly dependent on the player(s) of it.

Does any quality but the perceived quality matter? Can one truly judge something with no input from the way they perceive it?

by Quirel, Friday, January 16, 2015, 01:00 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Define "Significantly advanced the artform".

Is the advancement measured in meters? Seconds? Meters per second? Is there even an SI unit to measure the progress of art? Has the advancement of art been quantized? If one artist claims they have advanced the artform, can this be independently proven by other laboratories? Does the advancement of art have a journal, and is it subject to peer review?

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:20 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So by your reasoning, if finger-painting were in vogue, it'd be a detriment to high art?

That doesn't make sense.

Just because a game doesn't utilize the increased graphic capabilities that we have now or whatever doesn't mean that it's setting back said progress. If such a game was setting back progress, that means that most people don't think that progress is necessarily needed. If enough people agreed that such progress was unnecessary and not a draw that said progress couldn't viably continue to improve because it didn't have a large enough audience, then that means most people don't think said progress was making better games. And then that would be that.

But that isn't what's happening, is it?

Indie games, by and large, appeal to a niche.

They're no more a detriment to AAA games than minimalist paintings are to hyper-realist art.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:32 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah I can't say I agree with you at all. That's ok though, opinions differ.

Generalizations, Generalizations

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:59 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A constraint on a work can lead to a better work.

A constraint on a work can lead to a worse work.

A constraint on a work might not really affect the quality of a work.

The enjoyment/appreciation one derives from a work that is constrained is going to depend on their idea of the constraint, and how much they value what the constraint is affecting.

Sometimes a constraint leads to innovation.

Sometimes a constraint leads to failure to achieve what the work was intended to.

It's really not so simple as "constraints are always bad".

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:24 (3401 days ago) @ CyberKN

You want a good, original game, with deep game-play? Give a reasonably small group of talented people a decent amount of time and freedom. Will it work every time? No, but looking over the past couple of years, it's hard to say that AAA games developed by small armies of developers and artists aren't struggling to maintain a certain level of quality. And a decent chunk of my favourite games have been developed by teams of >10 people.

Your logic is wrong. Great games moving forward means larger teams. Large teams do not mean great games.

I say this because these deep immersive worlds aren't going to model themselves. Increasingly complicated physics interactions are not going to program themselves. Advanced AI isn't going to spring forth on its own. You need people, and as games get more complex you need bigger teams in order to make it happen.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:54 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Your logic is wrong. Great games moving forward means larger teams. Large teams do not mean great games.

I say this because these deep immersive worlds aren't going to model themselves. Increasingly complicated physics interactions are not going to program themselves. Advanced AI isn't going to spring forth on its own. You need people, and as games get more complex you need bigger teams in order to make it happen.

Actually, in some sense increasingly complicated physics interactions, advanced AI, etc are springing forth on their own. Or rather, they are springing forth without needing game developers necessarily to directly work on them. Thats where things like Unreal Engine etc come from. Companies whose focus is on improving the state of the art so other companies can make better games without having to work at improving things.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:37 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not sure immersion is solely driven by graphical quality or better physics. More realistic? Sure. But there are a ton of games that are immensely immersive that don't rely on photo realistic graphics or making sure that shit bounces around in a realistic way.

For example, to this day I find Doom to be one of the most immersive games I've ever played. The game has a gripping soundtrack, excellent sound design, is intensely atmospheric and remains genuinely scary. All of this despite downright ancient technology at this point.

I think a lot more goes into making a game immersive than higher polygon counts etc.

You say games should be getting better but generally aren't. Maybe better tech isn't the real key to situation after all?

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, January 16, 2015, 09:37 (3401 days ago) @ Fuertisimo
edited by RC, Friday, January 16, 2015, 09:45

I'm not sure immersion is solely driven by graphical quality or better physics. More realistic? Sure. But there are a ton of games that are immensely immersive that don't rely on photo realistic graphics or making sure that shit bounces around in a realistic way.

Compare the visual richness of Frozen to Steamboat Whillie.

Similarly, graphical power in games (as well as what that implies about power for other systems) does not mean 'exactly like reality.'

There was a little thread on HBO about this. The video meanders a bit and isn't as effective as it could be, but the point is that a lot of the narrative of game visuals over the last decade has been towards this 'realistic' goal and not only is that a bit of a fool's errand, it's artistically limiting and not especially interesting.**

A game doesn't have to look exactly like the real world, but light bouncing around in a manner consistent with real-world physics can enrich the simulation and introduce interesting mechanics that simply couldn't be done before.

e.g. the game this forum is dedicated to has great real-time shadows that can serve as a tell for enemies coming around a corner before you see them. In Halo 1 you'd either have to hear them or stick your head out first.

EDIT:

**I saw a good comparison shot between a Ferrari in Forza 5 and the same model in real life. The one in Forza 5 was 'hyper-real' if anything: exaggerated shadows, perfect reflections and highlights that simply can't be seen in real life. Perhaps people have spent so long in the virtual world they've forgotten how the real one looks.***

***Anyone know the FreddieW/RocketJump channel on YouTube? They're known for short, special-effects focused videos. One of their videos features freddie with the palm of his hands on fire. Lots of comments decry the effect as 'cheap-looking' and 'fake', but it was actually real fire. :D

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:06 (3401 days ago) @ RC

Perhaps people have spent so long in the virtual world they've forgotten how the real one looks.***

True of many many other things as well, both physical and emotional :-p

by Fuertisimo, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:17 (3400 days ago) @ RC

Yeah you're kind of hitting the nail on the head I think when it comes to hyper realistic graphics. Fool's errand kind of encapsulates the whole endeavor.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:35 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Fuertisimo, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:47

I mean, I guess that's true if you equate bigger games with more polygons to render as better. In that case yes you would need a bigger team.

by Kahzgul, Friday, January 16, 2015, 09:49 (3401 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Bigger Team doesn't equal a better game, or even a bigger game. It only equals a more polished game.

All of the best games that I ever worked on started as very small teams until the core engine, gameplay, story, and main missions were in place, and the side missions (depending on the game type) were at least decided upon. At that point the teams would expand from like 5 or 6 people to 150.

by Fuertisimo, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:18 (3400 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That sounds like a smart way to go about things. I'd love to talk further about the actual development process, it's something I'm very curious about. I want to peek behind the curtain so to speak haha.

This article is basically right about everything it touches

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:23 (3401 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'm afraid I don't have anything else to add right now. Mulling it over. Here's a tidbit tho: we wax poetic about this and that (with the eventual rabbit trail into objectivity vs. subjectivty and OMFG I don't care anymore) so why don't any of us put our money where our mouths are and make a game?

Or even a concept work. Like what Levi did with Halo 4.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:18 (3401 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

If only Levi's version of Halo 4 had been made instead of the real one.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:44 (3400 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

If only Levi's version of Halo 4 had been made instead of the real one.

RIGHT? I forget I played that steaming pile of a game.

I think Cody and Levi should run a team and make a game. Madness, you say? Fortune favors the bold, friends.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:45 (3400 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Somehow, I don't imagine them getting along well enough to make a game. :P

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:56 (3400 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Well, we could at least get a reality show out of it.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:59 (3400 days ago) @ bluerunner

Well, we could at least get a reality show out of it.

Narrated by Korny.

[image]

10/10 - would watch.

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:04 (3400 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:05 (3400 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Somehow, I don't imagine them getting along well enough to make a game. :P

Oh but if they could figure it out! Reach for the stars, yo

by Fuertisimo, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:27 (3400 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm ashamed to admit that I am actually working on an RPGMaker game. I have some experience in the past working on mods and levels for games like Marathon, Myth, Unreal, Warcraft 3, but I've never tackled a project as ambitious as what I'm doing now. Fortunately these days tools like RPGMaker and others exist that allow people who are limited in some ways (art, programming, etc.) to attempt things they never could have without having a "team" so to speak.

So in my own way I am trying to put my money where my mouth is, but who knows what will come of it. These projects are large and time consuming and real life demands take their toll you know? But I'm enjoying the process (particularly writing the story) so even if it doesn't go anywhere I'll have had fun with it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread