Well, I Bought An Xbox One, But...*NSFW* (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:10 (3403 days ago)

So, I probably shouldn't have--in fact, I know I should've waited--but I got an Xbox One for my Christmas gift a few days ago. I am indeed happy that I now will be prepared for Inside, Halo 5 and am now equipped for LocoCycle, Spartan Assault 3, Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall.

However, I will not be playing Destiny on it. I'm well aware of the now idiotic hubris I will suffer.

I'm not playing that stupid...curved...screen...shit.

Despite the instant pause menu load time(Bungie, work on that for us, please?), the immediate explosion in popularity, the drastic improvement on finding Raid partners, the ability to actually record the crazy bullcrap that happens to me on the spot and the Snap tool for Public Events...none of that makes up for having the absolute worst heads-up display ever known to mankind. Yes, Halo 3's HUD was a little curved, which I had no problem with. It looked realistic and reasonable, and even straightened out when the camera pulled out of your helmet. But that crap on Destiny looks like that Star Wars effect, or pinching the camera to a good 1000% too far back. Every time I look at a Destiny video, it's on the PS4 or XB1, and the hud makes me absolutely sick. I want my screen flat, I want to stay with the last generation, mainly because my last generation still works. Not to mention, when you switch your characters and stuff to Xbox 1, you can't switch back! So no, I'm not permanently damaging my vision for that--no matter how long it takes for my pause screen to load.

But seriously. Bungie? Fix that.

(Really hope there's going to be a Sonic game coming to this platform too. 60fps? Hell yes!)

Well, I Bought An Xbox One, But...*NSFW*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:13 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

[/i]Not to mention, when you switch your characters and stuff to Xbox 1, you can't switch back!

Where did you hear this? You absolutely can switch back and forth, as much as you want.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:23 (3403 days ago) @ Xenos

[/i]Not to mention, when you switch your characters and stuff to Xbox 1, you can't switch back!

Where did you hear this? You absolutely can switch back and forth, as much as you want.

I switch back and forth all of the time also with no issues (other then I think the XB1 is slightly laggy on the controls compared to the 360)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:30 (3403 days ago) @ Xenos

I could've sworn I heard it here! There was like, some kind of cloud/data issue or something, I'm pretty sure that once you switched to the next gen, you'd have information or "licenses" that the current gen wouldn't be able to recognize or something?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:32 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by stabbim, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:45

I could've sworn I heard it here! There was like, some kind of cloud/data issue or something, I'm pretty sure that once you switched to the next gen, you'd have information or "licenses" that the current gen wouldn't be able to recognize or something?

Nope. You're perfectly fine to switch between 360 and One all you want. You can't have them logged in simultaneously, but that's the only restriction (and is a legit one, as having two sessions at once would no doubt cause issues with the servers keeping track of the game session).

Edit: To clarify, you can't be logged in to Destiny on both simultaneously. You can have the consoles themselves turned on/signed in to XBL.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:33 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

Nope! Characters 100% stored in the cloud. Only restriction you'll have is you won't be able to switch to the other platform (Playstation in this case). Many people on here switch back and forth regularly.

Why is this marked NSFW?

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:19 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Why is this marked NSFW?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:30 (3403 days ago) @ TDSpiral

I'm not allowed to show my swears anymore,remember?

Why is this marked NSFW?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 20:06 (3402 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'm not allowed to show my swears anymore,remember?

See, I never read that reply because you did not reply to me. You can curse as much as you want. It's the Internet--It's certainly common. A well-turned curse can really be effective. With you, it was your overreaction to small stuff expressed with over the top language that bugged me. Often, you've misunderstood something about the game and just went off about it. Your language kept me from taking you seriously.

Are you feeling okay?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:25 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

Destiny

Halo 3

and you're telling me that DESTINY is the one that looks more curved????

Look, I have my complaints with Destiny's UI too (I think the Chromatic Aberration effect sucks), but I think you're pretty off-base here.

Are you feeling okay?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:37 (3403 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's stuff like this.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140811200327/destinypedia/images/c/c8/Public_Events.jpg

I swear, every time I see this picture I want to barf.

Are you feeling okay?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:38 (3403 days ago) @ CyberKN

I play on both consoles pretty frequently, and I had to look up a side-by-side comparison shot to even figure out what Morpheus was referring to. Looking at the comparison shots, there definitely is a slight curve to some HUD elements, but I would never have noticed it otherwise. I feel like not wanting to spend another 60 bucks would be a much stronger deterrent to buying an Xbone copy (assuming the OP has a physical copy on 360, otherwise the digital upgrade thing would make it free - at least until tomorrow).

A curved HUD....

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:36 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

This is actually a thing that you have chosen to bitch about. A real, honest to god, real world thing, that you have chosen as the de facto reason you cannot play this game on next gen.

Holy. Shit.
Mind. Blown.
Jaw. Floor.

I cannot even.

I guess people can bitch about anything.

*bows humbly*

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:46 (3403 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Being a Cynical Asshole is a tough job--you lose friends, people think less of you, a creeping depression follows and is sure to overtake you in your 40's. But it's easy to complain about anything. Don't bother searching through the good of your heart--we all have it--just hit the top layer and smother everything positive with realism and irrational immaturity.

[image]

I'm a good person, honestly. But I do have a lot of upsetting defenses to protect my vulnerabilities. Almost like that delightful Shrek character everyone seems to like.

Ok, well if you actually can switch back and forth, I guess I can suck it up.

I take it back!

A curved HUD....

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:44 (3402 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

This is actually a thing that you have chosen to bitch about. A real, honest to god, real world thing, that you have chosen as the de facto reason you cannot play this game on next gen.

Holy. Shit.
Mind. Blown.
Jaw. Floor.

I cannot even.

I guess people can bitch about anything.

I have never noticed that curved effect until now. Is that in other games? I don't even know.

Morph, you need a vacation.

What?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:39 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

At the risk of repeating myself, the melodrama is just ridiculous.

Here's a frame dump from the Xbox One (click to embiggen):
[image]

Call me crazy, but the Destiny UI seems to be quite a bit less spherical than the Halo 3 UI screenshot you linked:
[image]

Oop, CyberKN beat me to it. :)

What?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 15:50 (3403 days ago) @ Beorn

At the risk of repeating myself, the melodrama is just ridiculous.

Here's a frame dump from the Xbox One (click to embiggen):
[image]

Call me crazy, but the Destiny UI seems to be quite a bit less spherical than the Halo 3 UI screenshot you linked:
[image]

Oop, CyberKN beat me to it. :)

It doesn't seem that way to me. But again, I'll just shut up--it must just be my perception of distance.

Could you post an example?

by Earendil, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:31 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

I've never played on the 360, so could you perhaps provide two images of Destiny on each platform? I'm honestly interested.

I sort of get what you're saying with the HUD? Maybe?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:36 (3403 days ago) @ Morpheus

Halo 3's elements are technically more curved, but they sort of "sit" as flat textures on the screen.

On PS4/XB1, Destiny's HUD elements look almost like solid objects that are tilted in world-space (especially significant on the ammo info in lower left).

Did they not have any PS4s in?

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 04:49 (3402 days ago) @ Morpheus

Did they not have PS4 in stock ?!

That's Korny's job

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 06:50 (3402 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Supplying PS4 snark, I mean.

Don't play any other modern FPS.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:55 (3402 days ago) @ Morpheus

Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
HALO 5: GUARDIANS

They all have it.

The way I see it there are two options:
1) Get used to it
2) Choose to no longer play FPSs post-2013.

It's here to stay. Choose wisely.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread