New Mail Sack posted

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 15, 2013, 17:22 (4054 days ago)

New Mail Sack posted

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, March 15, 2013, 17:28 (4054 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Grizzlei, Friday, March 15, 2013, 17:32

I'm still unable to wrap my head around the idea of travelling to whole worlds from another in our system. Can't wait to see this for reals!

New Mail Sack posted

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 09:49 (4053 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm still unable to wrap my head around the idea of travelling to whole worlds from another in our system. Can't wait to see this for reals!

With the amount of machines out there exploring Sol right now, I hope Bungie went to the latest data to help ground the game in what reality might actually be.

Could be some inspiring stuff.

New Mail Sack posted

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 13:48 (4053 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

With the amount of machines out there exploring Sol right now, I hope Bungie went to the latest data to help ground the game in what reality might actually be.

Could be some inspiring stuff.

I remember something about the Mars Curiosity team visiting Bungie awhile back. Imagine if they included her or a monument of sorts on the planet. :)

New Mail Sack posted

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 06:41 (4052 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I remember something about the Mars Curiosity team visiting Bungie awhile back. Imagine if they included her or a monument of sorts on the planet. :)

I was thinking along these lines, too. Maybe get really old school and find some of the Viking probes and whatnot.

There should also be adventures on space stations at Lagrange points, because Lagrange points are sexy.

New Mail Sack posted

by Das Kalk, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 22:07 (4052 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I think keeping it within our solar system(?) allows them to ground it in conceivable technology, especially since we're looking to send manned missions to Mars within 50 years or so.

I like when science fiction doesn't use the "it's a magic space orb we found that can do whatever" excuse for creating the fantastical technologies. It kind of betrays the core of what science fiction is to me...

New Mail Sack posted

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 23:16 (4052 days ago) @ Das Kalk

I think keeping it within our solar system(?) allows them to ground it in conceivable technology, especially since we're looking to send manned missions to Mars within 50 years or so.

I like when science fiction doesn't use the "it's a magic space orb we found that can do whatever" excuse for creating the fantastical technologies. It kind of betrays the core of what science fiction is to me...

I definitely agree. One of my favorite things about Firefly is the fact that they never develop FTL, and it seems to me that is similar in Destiny. Also having it in our solar system makes it a lot cooler because it's something we can actually see (to some degree) in real life! How cool is that!

New Mail Sack posted

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 23:27 (4052 days ago) @ Xenos

How cool is that!

The flipside of my pillow ain't got nuthin! What kid doesn't dream of being an astronaut at some point? (I STILL do!) There is something about having the game take place in our home system, and starting off (I'm presuming) on our home planet, that scratches that I-wanna-go-into-space itch, if only a little bit. I am excited.

New Mail Sack posted

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 00:12 (4052 days ago) @ Mr Daax

How cool is that!

The flipside of my pillow ain't got nuthin! What kid doesn't dream of being an astronaut at some point? (I STILL do!) There is something about having the game take place in our home system, and starting off (I'm presuming) on our home planet, that scratches that I-wanna-go-into-space itch, if only a little bit. I am excited.

Too bad we can't attempt a landing on Europa, space's North Korea.

New Mail Sack posted

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 06:39 (4052 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Europa, space's North Korea.

wat?

New Mail Sack posted

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 06:54 (4052 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Ehh, pardon my drunken stupor. Seen 2010?

New Mail Sack posted

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 08:46 (4052 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Yeah, actually! It was a really long time ago. I now know enough to put it together.

+1 for drunken stupor, as well.

Attempt no landing there?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 17, 2013, 09:34 (4052 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Pff, you're not the boss to me!
I do what I want!

I wonder how we're travelling from celestial body to celestial body. Actually flying between the planets and their respective moons would be really cool, but between planets would be a bit boring.

Unless…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 10:46 (4052 days ago) @ ZackDark

I wonder how we're travelling from celestial body to celestial body. Actually flying between the planets and their respective moons would be really cool, but between planets would be a bit boring.

Unless there were space pirates!

Magic Space Orbs

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 00:07 (4052 days ago) @ Das Kalk

Agreed, magic space orbs are a horrible idea that should never…

[image]
…oh. :p

Charlemagne (Destiny AIs!)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 15, 2013, 17:36 (4054 days ago) @ Xenos

The City wants us to recover a piece of Charlemagne, one of the great Warminds of the Golden Age—a vast machine intelligence built by the ancient Powers of Mars.

Machine intelligence? Meant for war?! Dare I speculate about Destiny AI's? I am very excited. :)

Feb 17, 1999

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 15, 2013, 18:00 (4054 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Anyone Remember This?

Colleen Galvez:
After reading the mysterious e-mail from "Cortana" at Bungie, I did a quick search and found a reference to a sword named Cortana at the following web site:
http://www.celtic-twilight.com/bulfinch/ch/bulfinchs_loc_c24.htm

This site deals with the adventures of Charlemagne, and on this page Charlemagne presents a sword to Prince Ogier of Denmark, a sword which bears the inscription:

"My name is Cortana, of the same steel and temper as Joyeuse and Durindana."

Interesting, don't you think?

And then of course there's Traxus IV

Traxus IV was a twenty-third century A.I. that was declared rampant in 2206. A terminal on Defend THIS! describes the ordeal:
This is a quote from a terminal ([7]) This was evident in the Crash of Traxus IV in 2206. By the time that the Rampancy of Traxus was detected, he had already infiltrated five of the other AIs on the Martian Net. The only recourse for the Martians was to shut down the Martian Planetary Net. Even then, it took two full years to completely root out the damage that Traxus had done, and the repercussions of the Crash were seen for over ten years after his Rampancy had begun.

Traxus IV, a Mars AI that went rampant, and was speculated to have infected Durandal, the AI that was one of the central players of the Marathon series.

I'm not in the Destiny is Marathon camp, but the mere possibility that we'll have AI shenanigans in Destiny is very exciting. :)

Feb 17, 1999

by SunshineDuk, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 07:35 (4053 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So, an early childhood obsession with Marathon got me hooked on legendary swords.

There were indeed three mythical blades in the Song of Roland--Durendal (Durandal), Curtana (Cortana), and Joyeuse. Durendal (or Durindana) was wielded by Roland himself in battle, and was known for its endurance. It was lost upon Roland's death at the hands of the Moors, in the climax of the Song of Roland (spoilers!).

Curtana was originally the sword of Tristan, the one who married Iseult, but gained greatest fame as the sword of Ogier the Dane, greatest of Charlemagne's enemies and later one of his dearest allies. The term Curtana is also used to refer to any cut-down sword, most notably the sword of Edward the Confessor, known as the Sword of Mercy.

But we already knew all about Durandal and Cortana. So I've been scrawling "WHERE IS JOYEUSE?" in my notebooks for years, waiting for the third shoe to drop. And instead we get... Charlemagne himself? Now THAT'S interesting. But ah, we note that Charlemagne is only ONE of the great Warminds of old Mars. Perhaps we will yet see Joyeuse? Or perhaps Joyeuse will be a component of Charlemagne?

And what IS Joyeuse? Joyeuse, according to the legend, was the mythical sword of Charlemagne, the Sword of Light. It changed colors many times every day! It was used to behead Ogier's father and then knight Ogier himself as a paladin. It's currently part of the French regalia, but it's arguable whether or not that's the real Joyeuse.

SUFFICE IT TO SAY, I AM VERY EXCITED WE'RE SEEING MORE SWORD-AIS IN DESTINY.

~Duk

I like your style, Duk.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 07:41 (4053 days ago) @ SunshineDuk

- No text -

And I yours, Quackers.

by SunshineDuk, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 07:46 (4053 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

I can't stop.

by Cold, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 07:58 (4053 days ago) @ SunshineDuk

I like your style, Duk
JDQuackers SunshineDuk
And I yours, Quackers.

I can't stop.

by SunshineDuk, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 10:54 (4053 days ago) @ Cold

If you count "style" as one syllable, I suppose that works!

How do waterfowl pronounce style?

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 12:02 (4053 days ago) @ SunshineDuk

- No text -

It's just quack *NM*

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 14:58 (4053 days ago) @ Mercury

Around these here parts, there are strange sights to behold.

Sometimes, when I'm driving around the North Carolina roads, I'll drive past a brown sign that points off into the woods along a dirt trail. The sign reads, "Waterfowl Impoundment Area".

I've never been motivated enough to actually look up what this means, but my headcanon always has, and always will tell me that it means Duck Jail. It's where the bad ducks get sent when they bite little kids who are just trying to feed them stale pieces of bread.

Or maybe the bad ducks are just all the Muscovy that hang out around there. A Muscovy Duck ain't nothin' to fuck with.

It's just quack *NM*

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 17:14 (4053 days ago) @ JDQuackers

A Muscovy Duck ain't nothin' to fuck with.

Heh, for some reason this sounded like your getting ready to start rapping.

A Muscovy Duck ain't nothin' to fuck with,
Unless you feelin' like a mighty luck-smith,

Take one ooooooon, give it a shot,
You'll go down like Khaaaaaaan, like it or not!

Word.

More musings on Charlemagne and Joyeuse

by SunshineDuk, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 15:02 (4053 days ago) @ SunshineDuk

So let's look at the description again.

“The City wants us to recover a piece of Charlemagne, one of the great Warminds of the Golden Age—a vast machine intelligence built by the ancient Powers of Mars. The Cabal do everything they can to try and stop our descent, but we keep pushing, rifles cracking and Traveler energy boiling from our fists until the only thing left standing is us, and the only thing left of the Cabal is the loot they hid in Charlemagne’s vault."

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that Joyeuse will be some element of Charlemagne. Charlemagne itself is presumably a long-dead AI, but perhaps we as players will be able to combine recovered fragments to recreate Joyeuse. It makes sense that we'd have some sort of AI leading and coordinating player efforts, perhaps brought online a ways after the game begins.

I wonder if perhaps we won't see Charlemagne return in some capacity as a villainous AI? I'm not saying this will be Marathon all over again, but Bungie does love sending human AIs off to alien civilizations and seeing how they react. Perhaps the mind behind the Vex (who do TIME TRAVEL, note, perhaps to before Charles Magnus was offline?) is more familiar than we might think.

And then, indeed, what better weapon to stop Charlemagne than his own sword?

Also of interest is the way "The City" is both capitalized and personified. Who is our air traffic controller here? Who assigns missions to us? Is it an AI? Some remnant of the Traveler? Or perhaps just a high council of Guardians?

I am all sorts of eagerly curious.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 15:24 (4053 days ago) @ SunshineDuk

Building upon who The City is, who are we? Low level security officers? Orphaned wards of a tightly controlled state? Top secret highly trained and equipped cyborg super soldiers? Or something else? Mercenaries for hire perhaps?

by Wakko45, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 15:26 (4053 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Maybe even every day Joe Schmoe's that have been rallied and recruited in an attempt to take back our lands?

Feb 17, 1999

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 06:16 (4049 days ago) @ SunshineDuk

So, an early childhood obsession with Marathon got me hooked on legendary swords.

There were indeed three mythical blades in the Song of Roland--Durendal (Durandal), Curtana (Cortana), and Joyeuse. Durendal (or Durindana) was wielded by Roland himself in battle, and was known for its endurance. It was lost upon Roland's death at the hands of the Moors, in the climax of the Song of Roland (spoilers!).

Curtana was originally the sword of Tristan, the one who married Iseult, but gained greatest fame as the sword of Ogier the Dane, greatest of Charlemagne's enemies and later one of his dearest allies. The term Curtana is also used to refer to any cut-down sword, most notably the sword of Edward the Confessor, known as the Sword of Mercy.

But we already knew all about Durandal and Cortana. So I've been scrawling "WHERE IS JOYEUSE?" in my notebooks for years, waiting for the third shoe to drop. And instead we get... Charlemagne himself? Now THAT'S interesting. But ah, we note that Charlemagne is only ONE of the great Warminds of old Mars. Perhaps we will yet see Joyeuse? Or perhaps Joyeuse will be a component of Charlemagne?

And what IS Joyeuse? Joyeuse, according to the legend, was the mythical sword of Charlemagne, the Sword of Light. It changed colors many times every day! It was used to behead Ogier's father and then knight Ogier himself as a paladin. It's currently part of the French regalia, but it's arguable whether or not that's the real Joyeuse.

SUFFICE IT TO SAY, I AM VERY EXCITED WE'RE SEEING MORE SWORD-AIS IN DESTINY.

~Duk

After I saw Charlemagne I went on a Wikipedia spree and I was going to post about it here but you mostly beat me to it. I say mostly because it looks to me like what ties this stuff together is the Matter of France. Looking at the related pages there are some interesting names (along with at least one in the list of notable swords).
With the article that was linked yesterday, this is the second time they've mentioned Charlemagne in less than a month of the game being officially publicly known. Given that, the historical significance of its namesake, and how central its namesake is to one of the main things that seems to tie their universes together, I'm theorizing it's a significant element of the game, whether it's a character or more of a plot point or whatever, and I'm theorizing they're using Charlemagne instead of Joyeuse.
There's also the possibility of Almace being tied into all this. They may well have Charlemagne as a red herring and have other relatedly-named things play a bigger role. Then there's the fact that Marathon and Halo reference a mythical weapon that's not a sword and doesn't seem to be related to the Matter of France: Mjolnir... so who can say?

Feb 17, 1999

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 06:33 (4049 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Then there's the fact that Marathon and Halo reference a mythical weapon that's not a sword and doesn't seem to be related to the Matter of France: Mjolnir... so who can say?

And don't forget Foehammer

Charlemagne (Destiny AIs!)

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:15 (4052 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The City wants us to recover a piece of Charlemagne, one of the great Warminds of the Golden Age—a vast machine intelligence built by the ancient Powers of Mars.

Machine intelligence? Meant for war?! Dare I speculate about Destiny AI's? I am very excited. :)

Yeah, that whole quoted snippet was awesome. I love the sound of the universe so far. The Powers of Mars. Warminds from the Golden Age. Uncovering ancient-future human history...it all strikes me as kind of Isaac Asimov-esque vintage scifi.

The Sword Trilogy of Trilogies?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:23 (4052 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Maybe this is Bungie's third trilogy of trilogies of games about AI's named after famous swords.

Trilogy Triptych

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 23:39 (4052 days ago) @ Xenos

Maybe this is Bungie's third trilogy of trilogies of games about AI's named after famous swords.

Everything Bungie has ever created is a reference to The Song of Roland or a reference to another game that references Song of Roland, man. It's references within references. References all the way down.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 07:53 (4049 days ago) @ Xenos

except Halo turned into way more than 3 games and Destiny is already planned to have 4

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:24 (4049 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Hence the "trilogy of trilogies" phrase, instead of plain "trilogy", I guess.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 12:51 (4049 days ago) @ General Vagueness

except Halo turned into way more than 3 games and Destiny is already planned to have 4

Well the trilogy was the Cortana trilogy, meaning Halo 1-3. Games not made by Bungie don't count and the other two are similar to side stories other series feature. Kind of like the prequel to Wheel of Time for example.

New Mail Sack posted

by Claude Errera @, Friday, March 15, 2013, 18:13 (4054 days ago) @ Xenos

New Mail Sack has been posted!

http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Ides-of-Mail-Sack/en-us/News/News?aid=10337

The typo in the opening paragraph makes me giggle. I'm imagining bears eating kings, now.

New Mail Sack posted

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 12:37 (4053 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Time-traveling robot bears.

New Mail Sack posted

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, March 15, 2013, 18:42 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

"Not all of the aliens in Destiny are evil, just like not all humans are good."

Gaaahhh, the teases, they are killing me!

Launch day servers

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 15, 2013, 18:55 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

Gunny 186 Is the team ready for the massive onslaught of players on Destiny's release day?
This isn't our first rodeo. Bungie is no stranger to anxious mobs of players who rush home after a midnight launch and put our best-laid plans to the test. Since a release date hasn't even been announced yet, we’ll let our team focus on some less frightening but equally important challenges.

Well said.

The real question is.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:18 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

Which planet do you guys most enjoy adventuring on and why?

If a space alien arrived from another star and played Destiny, which planet would said alien most enjoy adventuring on, and why?

[image]

Woo hoo! Answered my question!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:42 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Xenos, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:56

Just got the time to read the mail sack, and noticed they answered my question!

Xenos85 What class of the announced classes is your favorite?

The classiest one.
Cameron Pinard, Artist

Warlock, but I am a sucker for magic users.
Drew Smith, Producer

My favorite class switches weekly (or daily).
Rahsaan Green, Sandbox Test Engineer

Currently dueling between the Hunter and Warlock. The Titan may come crashing in and punch them in the face at any moment.
Andrew Weldon, Designer

Hunter. Fell in love the first time I met her. Jaime Jones painted the first hunter permutation as female and in my mind associated with that class more as a result. Combination of speed and strength. I also liked the shorter cape and rather sexier shape.
Lorraine McLees, Senior Graphic Designer

Two Words: Titan [Redacted]!
Amos Yuen, Associate Engineer

Titan Vanguard maybe? If nothing else it confirms one of two possible things (maybe more but I can't think of them): different races (very doubtful) or advanced classes.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:52 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

Congrats! I was so busy gleeking out over story and gmeplay clues that I didn't really read the question authors.

by Wakko45, Friday, March 15, 2013, 22:40 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

I was also wondering that when I read the [redacted] in the mailsack. Perhaps advanced classes like you said; specializations, specific track focuses? The anticipation is killing me

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 05:12 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

Maybe a certain Titan ability? Titan SMASH!

by Wakko45, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:08 (4053 days ago) @ rliebherr

Titan *BLAM!* haha but I wonder what some potential sub-classes/advanced classes could be. Hunter Trainer (trains pets), Hunter Assassin (specialize in camouflage), I'm shaking in excitement.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:38 (4053 days ago) @ Wakko45

Hunter Gather. Gathers other hunters for a big hunt.

Hehe

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 16, 2013, 13:40 (4053 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You made me picture Guardians picking apples from trees.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 07:35 (4052 days ago) @ Xenos

I like pairing your question with this one:

MastaSin: In Destiny, can we play as the aliens or are we locked to the human race? And if we are, why are we locked to the human race? What's the reason?

Not all of the aliens in Destiny are evil, just like not all humans are good. We’ve barely scratched the surface on the character and customization options you’ll have access to in Destiny, but we’re not going to dig in any deeper today.

Playable races, I hope. Sub-class specializations are all well and good, but I'm willing to bet Destiny's class system is going to borrow a little bit more from ME3's than many expect.

~M

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 14:45 (4052 days ago) @ Malagate

I like pairing your question with this one:

MastaSin: In Destiny, can we play as the aliens or are we locked to the human race? And if we are, why are we locked to the human race? What's the reason?

Not all of the aliens in Destiny are evil, just like not all humans are good. We’ve barely scratched the surface on the character and customization options you’ll have access to in Destiny, but we’re not going to dig in any deeper today.

Playable races, I hope. Sub-class specializations are all well and good, but I'm willing to bet Destiny's class system is going to borrow a little bit more from ME3's than many expect.

~M

I am almost positive that one of the articles from people at the original press event stated that you would only play as humans. I can't find it now, but I did read about 20+ articles between then and now so who knows.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 18, 2013, 13:57 (4051 days ago) @ Xenos

I am almost positive that one of the articles from people at the original press event stated that you would only play as humans. I can't find it now, but I did read about 20+ articles between then and now so who knows.

Assuming it did, the question we must ask is whether the person who wrote said article was explicitly told this by Bungie, or whether they assumed it based on having only seen human characters.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 07:42 (4050 days ago) @ stabbim

I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it's something I like to think about. Given that the story is about humanity's stepping back out across the stars led by Guardians imbued with special powers; unless there are Guardians from other races (I'm having a Green Lantern moment, here), I don't think it's likely.

~M

New Mail Sack posted

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 05:09 (4053 days ago) @ Xenos

As if I didn't like Jameson enough, it may have some small tie to the name of a weapon in Destiny. This, combined with St.Patrick's Day, gives me reason enough to go refill my stock and drink half of it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread