Things that inexplicably aren't patched yet (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:35 (3402 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:53

Here's a list of things that I simply cannot believe haven't been in patches yet.

1. Skipping cutscenes. Broken since day 1.
2. Exp from missions not applying to weapons. Broken since day 1.
3. Losing heavy ammo on death. Broken since day 1. Bungie says this is "hard".
4. Bigger vault. Bungie says they are thinking about it. What's to think about? There's no downside.
5. Audio sliders. Marty is gone. Now give us separate sfx / vox / music control like every other sensible game.

Anything else?

Things that inexplicably aren't patched yet

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:40 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Speedracer513, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:44

Here's a list of things that I simply cannot believe haven't been in patches yet.

4. Bigger vault. Bungie says they are thinking about it. What's to think about? There's no downside.

Anything else?

#1 and 2 aren't bugs -- just design decisions that may not have been the best choice. 3 is absolutely the most frustrating bug that we deal with on a daily basis. 4 is not a bug - but absolutely one of the most important things they should do; always at the top of their request list and, as you say, I haven't heard anyone even feign a counterargument against it.

I will add to your list that (the lack of) private crucible matches is probably the most disappointing oversight.

Edit: Also, the game kicking you out of your menu way too often. I don't really have a problem with it kicking you out of the menu the moment a mission starts - but that should be the only time it happens. Trying to check my "overcharge" bounty progress when between deaths on The Dark Beyond, or remaining time on my "Network Codes" consumable when glimmer farming on The Exclusion Zone - and being kicked out of my menu FOUR times is unacceptable.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:48 (3402 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Edit: Also, the game kicking you out of your menu way too often. I don't really have a problem with it kicking you out of the menu the moment a mission starts - but that should be the only time it happens. Trying to check my "overcharge" bounty progress when between deaths on The Dark Beyond, or remaining time on my "Network Codes" consumable when glimmer farming on The Exclusion Zone - and being kicked out of my menu FOUR times is unacceptable.

Oh this is true. The game should simply never pull you out of your menu on its own. Ever.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:53 (3402 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Glimmer consumables should have an icon in the HUD so you don't have to stop and check. Chain of woe and gunslinger's trance have counters onscreen. Those should have at least an icon.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:01 (3402 days ago) @ bluerunner

Glimmer consumables should have an icon in the HUD so you don't have to stop and check. Chain of woe and gunslinger's trance have counters onscreen. Those should have at least an icon.

That's a great idea.

+100. Great idea.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:07 (3402 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Things that explicably aren't patched yet

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:41 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The third one probably actually is hard to fix; probably something where the obvious fixes involve reworking a bunch of stuff, or introduce other bugs.

The fourth one is probably a matter of thinking on how to execute the change, more than "Should we do this?"; if they don't execute it, it's because they think that it wasn't worth the work it would take to make it larger, which is, you know, the downside to making that change.

I think inexplicable really wasn't the word you were looking for.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:46 (3402 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It could also be that they are trying to decide what the best use of the Vault is. Perhaps they are considering other solutions like making the Vault a permanent menu option when you press start. Or sharing inventory between all of your characters. It could be they are simply trying to decide on the best way to access your items when you have a lot of them.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:50 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It could also be that they are trying to decide what the best use of the Vault is. Perhaps they are considering other solutions like making the Vault a permanent menu option when you press start. Or sharing inventory between all of your characters. It could be they are simply trying to decide on the best way to access your items when you have a lot of them.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this and assume it's taking so long just because they want to do it right. However, last Bungie said in an update they were "considering" it. Not "implementing".

I have not heard about skipping cutscenes though, and not being able to is criminal and inexcusable in this day and age.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:21 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They just want to force everyone to enjoy that amazing story.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:44 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Benifit of the doubt? Heh. What happened to wanting them to feel bad?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:51 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't have time to tell you why I don't have time to watch these cut scenes.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 12:37 (3401 days ago) @ bluerunner

I don't have time to tell you why I don't have time to watch these cut scenes.

No, seriously, I don't. I had lots of time today, but unfortunately I wasted it rewatching cutscenes.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:48 (3401 days ago) @ stabbim

This cutscene is not a natural formation. You can't skip it, so it must LEAD somewhere.

Stack items in the vault

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:56 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

stack all my scout rifles in one square, all my pulse rifles in another, sniper, etc. when i mouse over it, expand it to show all of them (just like you do for primary/secondary/heavy weapons that your are carrying).

by Velociraptor112, Places., Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:56 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Actually going to orbit with a post-carnage report after finishing a Raid.

Minotaurs and Praetorians regenerating health.

This one isn't really a bug, but I still think that if you finish 1st in a match, you should be guaranteed a reward. It's really lame when you finish first and get nothing, and the person in 5th gets a Legendary Engram.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:17 (3402 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

Actually going to orbit with a post-carnage report after finishing a Raid.

You do if you wait long enough. Like, WAY longer than acceptable, but it is there.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:55 (3402 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

This one isn't really a bug, but I still think that if you finish 1st in a match, you should be guaranteed a reward.

You are:

• Extra CruMark,
  • Extra Rep.

Stop whining that your entry into the slot machine didn't give you anything! That's how it works! The house always wins!

by Velociraptor112, Places., Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:03 (3402 days ago) @ RC

True. I guess I should just pray harder to RNGesus.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:23 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- Lack of options for color blind people.
- Losing Ammo when switching weapons (bug or design decision?)
- SEVERE PvP Lag issues.
- Ghost Edition Preorder Bonuses not available cross-generation. (fixed for a few hours after the first DLC update)
- Glitched Public Event Targets

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 12:54 (3401 days ago) @ unoudid

- Losing Ammo when switching weapons (bug or design decision?)

I'm pretty sure that's a design decision. I have a vague memory of Bungie talking about it in videos prior to release. It's supposed to discourage people from switching weapons constantly. I'm ok with it - it hampers me, but in a way that encourages strategy (or encourages buying lots of ammo synths, LOL).

- Ghost Edition Preorder Bonuses not available cross-generation. (fixed for a few hours after the first DLC update)

That's an annoying one of you have those items, I'm sure.

- Glitched Public Event Targets

The ones that teleport and than never reappear? That is super annoying, especially considering how tough some of those (the shielded ones) can be when they work properly.

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:06 (3401 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm pretty sure that's a design decision. I have a vague memory of Bungie talking about it in videos prior to release. It's supposed to discourage people from switching weapons constantly. I'm ok with it - it hampers me, but in a way that encourages strategy (or encourages buying lots of ammo synths, LOL).

Yeah, that was in one of the Bungie Podcasts. RIP Bungie Podcasts. *tear*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:31 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:44

3. Ever play Janga? Ever play Janga with code?

4. Lets say the vault at max can be 1Mb (Which seems really small to me, but at the same time if its just a spread sheet number game then the vault would be rather cheap).

There are 9.5 Million Registered Players. That is 9.5 Terabytes (plus the rest of the game) that needs to be synced over the web/cloud across different types and qualities of "tubes" all over the globe and not break both ways. (Which as we know is not always perfect)

You want them to press a button and double it now without them checking all systems?

Cool.
----

That's my thoughts. I reserve the right to be horribly wrong.

Edit: Relevant.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:04 (3401 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

3. Ever play Janga? Ever play Janga with code?

4. Lets say the vault at max can be 1Mb (Which seems really small to me, but at the same time if its just a spread sheet number game then the vault would be rather cheap).

There are 9.5 Million Registered Players. That is 9.5 Terabytes (plus the rest of the game) that needs to be synced over the web/cloud across different types and qualities of "tubes" all over the globe and not break both ways.

Dude, the vault would be KILLOBYTES at most, not anywhere near a meg. You need to save what weapon, it's exp progression, and what slot it's filled in. That's a handful of numbers.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:45 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by uberfoop, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:52

Dude, the vault would be KILLOBYTES at most, not anywhere near a meg. You need to save what weapon, it's exp progression, and what slot it's filled in. That's a handful of numbers.

Yep, 1MB seems extremely high.

How much information could you possibly use?

A weapon has:
-Some object ID
-Experience
-Base stats, including required level (let's suppose that they left room for 100 such numbers, just to be ridiculous)
-A table of upgrades. Each might consists of an ID, a status (whether it's been learned), and possibly a splash of extra data as a modifier. Who knows how big the table can get, let's pretend it's something huge like 15x20.

Okay, now let's suppose that we don't try to do any sort of compression or bit-packing, and let's also suppose we're lazy jerks who always use a 64-bit value for every single data point. Then we're up to 6576 bytes per entry. If all 60 entries are given equal space, that's around 400kB total.

But, this estimate was created under very generous assumptions. Armor could probably use a bit less memory and other items could use almost nothing. There are spots where I'm storing a boolean into a 64-bit value, and although most of the data in the table probably wouldn't be that shrinkable, you could still squeeze representations down tremendously. Furthermore, ability tables don't vary much by object ID, so it's entirely possible that they only have to store a few entries (rather than several hundred). Ditto for base stat dependencies (base stats might be derived from the other information including the object ID and not actually stored independently per-object). So on and so forth.

I would personally guess that if the object system was built with storage and tight memory usage in mind, each player's vault could probably be squeezed down to a few kB. I would be stunned if it's as high as 1MB, as even the ridiculously naive and very expandable layout I described above would be less than half that.

(It still might not be trivial to expand system like this, though.)

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:49 (3401 days ago) @ uberfoop

I would personally guess that if the object system was built with storage and tight memory usage in mind, each player's vault could probably be squeezed down to a few kB. I would be stunned if it's as high as 1MB, as even the ridiculously naive and very expandable layout I described above would be less than half that.

(It still might not be trivial to expand system like this, though.)

You could look at it a different way.

Forget the exact size of the extra slots. How much info is there on a guardian? You need to know total experience, which node is researched, and which node is selected. We also need to keep the sex/race/and hair/skin colors. That's not much more, all can be represented as bools, no integers required. A little more than a single weapon but not much more than 3 or 4 weapons at most, right?

So I think we can say that data on the character pales in comparison to the characters inventory and the amount of information that needs to be stored there. So now we can say, regardless of the exact size of 16 extra slots (or whatever) that you are increasing the percentage of the storage requirement per guardian by a not inconsequential amount.

Saying a few kb per guardian is different than saying the gaurdian database needs to go by 10%-30%.

The other thing is, you gave them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't using any sort of compression algorithm. If they were using specialized custom compression, it could be that slapping on more slots isn't as simple as changing
CreateInventorySlots(16) to
CreateInventorySlots(32)

They may have to re-write the algorithm, which depending on how fancy they got (or needed to get) could take one day or weeks. Then you'd have to convert the entire player database, and you'd have to test the everlivingshit out of it because a defect in the compression could actually wipe inventory, where simply adding slots isn't likely to.

None of these are bugs

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:36 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

5. Audio sliders. Marty is gone. Now give us separate sfx / vox / music control like every other sensible game.

Anything else?

These are all design decisions. I think they are all wrong decisions, but I can see arguments for all of them.

Losing Heavy ammo on death... And other ideas.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:57 (3402 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes
edited by Korny, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:03

These are all design decisions. I think they are all wrong decisions, but I can see arguments for all of them.

That's been deemed a bug, but it doesn't bother me, actually. Why? Because I come from an age where video games didn't hold your hand and spoonfeed you victory. It's called a trade-off.

Want to be able to carry more heavy ammo? Fine... But you better be prepared to lose it if you fail. That's old-school power-up logic. There's another modern game that does this, with "Corrupted Mods" that give you "one positive and one negative stat", and I don't hear waves of people crying about it. It actually felt weird when I was running the VoG last night and I wasn't losing Heavy ammo on death, since my other two classes live with this quirk...

If anything, I'd love to see more of this duality on gear:

-Lightweight chest that give you +5 Agility, but -4 Armor. Titans are now Kenyan Linebackers, but fall much faster.

-Heavy Gauntlets that give you 75% extra melee damage, but slow your melee and melee recovery significantly. Beware the Hunter's throwing knife, but smile if he misses.

-Maglev Legs that give you 40% extra jump height, but slow your running speed by 20%. Watch out for airborn snipers using "Angel of Light"... But rest assured that you can easily chase them down.

Definitely would add more variety to the game.

Speaking of that bug

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:00 (3402 days ago) @ Korny

I lose heavy ammo on occasion when I die, and I don't have that perk.

So that's a thing.

Fail

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:22 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

So that's a thing.

Why should you get to keep your ammo after you fail?

Fail

by petetheduck, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:23 (3401 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

So that's a thing.

Why should I lose ammo when Unreal runs ahead and alerts the Gorgons?

Fail

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:54 (3401 days ago) @ petetheduck

So that's a thing.

Why should I lose ammo when Unreal runs ahead and alerts the Gorgons?

Hey, Bungie said you had to be careful choosing your Raid partners! That's on you!

Shit... that might have been levity. Sorry.

+1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:57 (3401 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Fail

by Avateur @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 21:00 (3401 days ago) @ petetheduck

Think of it like an extra obstacle thrown in on Hard mode. You know Unreal's there, which means you totally know he's going to run off and get us all killed, right?

Sounds to me like everyone should have their Heavies ready to go to destroy whatever Gorgon he sets off. It's win-win. He gets it out of his system, it was still funny, and hopefully we killed the Gorgon. If not, I suppose you can always yell at him or something. :P

Fail

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:29 (3401 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

So that's a thing.

Either it isn't wholly a bug (ie. the bug isn't losing heavy ammo on death, it's the extent to which you lose ammo when you have the perk, and losing it at cutscenes) or it affects people who don't have that perk (albeit less so).

Fail

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:06 (3401 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

So that's a thing.

Because that's the way Bungie designed it. You can question the design decision, but don't bemoan others who want the game to work as intended.

Fail

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:42 (3401 days ago) @ someotherguy

It's extremely punishing, especially if you're struggling with a particularly hard bit, "ok, now I know when/what/where I need to shoot with my rocket, I'll get it next time. Wait, what? Where did my rockets go!? AugH!! Now I've run out of ammo synths!"

Reply to wrong post?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:46 (3401 days ago) @ dogcow

Hard to tell without inflection/tone, but that reads like a counterargument to someone? I was agreeing with you :)

Fail

by Monochron, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:06 (3401 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Because that's how the damn game works. It's weird as hell to me, but it is how Bungie wants us to play the game. It's a bug, end of story.

Speaking of that bug

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:08 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Were you using a Launcher with Tripod? That triggers the bug too, though to a lesser extent.

If you have Tripod and Heavy Ammo boots you're double screwed. Yay.

Speaking of that bug

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:41 (3401 days ago) @ someotherguy

Ah, okay. I didn't think of that.

I was using Dragon's Breath and it has Tripod, so that's what that's about.

None of these are bugs

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:59 (3402 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Anything else?

#3 is a bug.

Source

Devil's Advocate Time

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:08 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

First, not a bug unless it was ever an intended feature.
Second, it could be that the cutscenes are masking an issue behind the (literal) scene. To skip the nice cutscene is to expose a real issue or bit of ugliness that they haven't cleaned up yet.

I like how in a different post you say something to the effect of "in this day in age cutscenes should be skippable", as if we didn't have the technology to not show a cutscene, and now we do, so by golly we should use it. In reality cutscenes are easy to skip, always have been, which means they aren't skippable for practical or artistic reasons.

Your character completes missions (xp for char). Guns* kill things (xp for guns). I don't see the problem?

Yeah, this one is terrible and it must be a giant one because I don't know how they didn't discover it in testing prior to release.

You're talking about the company that delivered the first mass market FPS that limited you to *gasp* 2 weapons.

Bungie has a thing for not wanting players to hang onto everything they find. Bungie could solve this in a million better ways than simply increasing the slot count, and it could be that is what they are aiming for. Or, it could be that they are forcing you to make decisions about what sort of weapons and armor you want to keep around.

Also, it's not a bug.

I assume with the Marty comment that you are aware that the sfx and music are designed into the game in an artistic way, and to allow a player to modify that is akin to letting you re-texture the walls in daisy wallpaper, right? I think it would be disrespectful to start ripping out core ideas of Marty's as soon as he isn't around to defend them. Presumably he got them passed because a good number of other people agreed with him (such as myself).

Now, I don't know about the other consoles, but the XB1 allows you to modify the voice chat to game sound ratio. This is all I've ever really needed.

I'm not about to say that what you desire shouldn't be a desire of yours. But please do understand that not everything you dislike or hope for is, based on it's lack of existence, a defect in the design or implementation.

Also the lack of any feature is excusable based on the two currencies of all features, time and money. You can only get so much at a time. To demand one thing is to delay any number of other things.

Outside of the raid bugs, I think it's rather telling that when people go to complain about Destiny bugs, what they mostly come up with are feature requests. That's pretty good :)

The Ammo bug is the only one that bothers me, and bothers me on a daily basis as all of my good armor (and even my mediocre) armor adds heavy ammo, so I'm always under the effect of this bug. All my other complaints fall squarely into design decisions, or decisions without (seemingly) any design.

*actually, guns don't, pfhor do.

Devil's Advocate Time

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 12:51 (3401 days ago) @ Earendil

Your character completes missions (xp for char). Guns* kill things (xp for guns). I don't see the problem?

Because mission xp DOES get applied to your armor. It's supposed to apply to weapons, but does not for some reason.

I assume with the Marty comment that you are aware that the sfx and music are designed into the game in an artistic way, and to allow a player to modify that is akin to letting you re-texture the walls in daisy wallpaper, right? I think it would be disrespectful to start ripping out core ideas of Marty's as soon as he isn't around to defend them. Presumably he got them passed because a good number of other people agreed with him (such as myself).

Look, I like Marty a lot and think he's cool and very talented. But he is wrong on this one issue.

Devil's Advocate Time

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:12 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because mission xp DOES get applied to your armor. It's supposed to apply to weapons, but does not for some reason.

Are you sure that it's supposed to apply to weapons? I've never seen it said anywhere that it is supposed to apply to weapons but is bugged and doesn't. I have assumed that I was a design decision (that I don't necessarily love, but does kinda make sense for the reasons stated above).

Devil's Advocate Time

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:32 (3401 days ago) @ Speedracer513

does kinda make sense for the reasons stated above.

If that's true, then riddle me this: why do I get XP applied equally to weapons and armor when I turn in a bounty for killing things with my super, or for hitting Hive with a sword?

Devil's Advocate Time

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:53 (3401 days ago) @ stabbim

does kinda make sense for the reasons stated above.

If that's true, then riddle me this: why do I get XP applied equally to weapons and armor when I turn in a bounty for killing things with my super, or for hitting Hive with a sword?

At some point you do need to simply things :)
Having all bounties work the same, regardless of the breakdown of each bounty is just easier for us as players to comprehend. I don't have a problem comprehending why Kills apply to weapons, but I do understand (seriously no insult intended) that some people's capacity for comprehension is limited when it comes to games. Some want it super complicated and exacting, others want it straightforward and without guesswork.

Still makes sense to me

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:28 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Did Bungie acknowledge that it's supposed to but doesn't? If they did, I can accept that as a defect. Otherwise this design still makes sense to me.

A piece of armor's use could be measured by how many hits it takes. But that is impractical and open to gaming.

The more realistic way to measure the use of armor is to say that it protected the wearer for X amount of time. Or it survived X amount of time.

Said a different way, the use case for armor is to use it to survive a mission, thus the EXP is applied on a per mission basis.

A weapon's use is primarily measured by how it kills. Kill more things, you must be using it. It seems silly to me that you'd measure the use of a weapon by how long it "survived", or define the use case of a gun as keeping the guardian alive. I mean, if you're a staunch supporter of the "Guns for self defense" camp, then I suppose that's the use case. But I'm pretty sure in Destiny the use case is to make shit go bye bye :)

My understanding is that
Kills = Gun Exp
Survive mission = Armor EXP
Kills + Survive mission = Character EXP
Is that not correct?

The change I could see being made is that a kill also grants EXP to the armor, since a kill implies a confrontation that your armor helped you survive.

Now, I admit that not everything that "makes sense" or is "realistic" makes for the best game design given the context of a particular game. Maybe this is one of those cases. But it hardly bothers me.

Look, I like Marty a lot and think he's cool and very talented. But my personal opinion is that he is wrong on this one issue.

FTFY ;-)

Still makes sense to me

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:31 (3401 days ago) @ Earendil

I'm almost entirely certain that kills do grant XP to armor, based on my observations.

Still makes sense to me

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:14 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

They do. I'll often get an armour upgrade from killing something.

Devil's Advocate Time

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:42 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Look, I like Marty a lot and think he's cool and very talented. But he is wrong on this one issue.

Or maybe you're wrong. I disagree with you, but I will say that (and this is a criticism of the game) I wouldn't be bothered if we could turn off the voice overs during story missions.

Devil's Advocate Time

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:31 (3401 days ago) @ Kermit

Or maybe you're wrong. I disagree with you, but I will say that (and this is a criticism of the game) I wouldn't be bothered if we could turn off the voice overs during story missions.

How can you disagree with me if you are literally asking for a way to turn off the Vox? If you had a Vox slider, you could turn it all the way down.

Devil's Advocate Time

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:50 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The fix is a better story.

ITT: ignorance of software engineering

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:33 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Off the top of my head:
UI, networking, server load, resource management (of the last-gen consoles especially).

It currently uses up to 60 tile icons, plus item descriptions, and possible quantity value for 20 of those - it's not a lot in general but it's also not uncommon for console games to be optimised as close to the byte as they can get. If the guy in charge of the vault says 'I need twice the ram allocation', that isn't as simple as it may sound.

Then if you can transfer in 27 weapons to your character, and 27 weapons into the vault, and up to 36 armour pieces in, 36 out, 9 class items in, 9 class items out, materials and items and ships.... all that has an implication on the transfer to the server and syncing the data properly. Not much for 1 player. But when you have millions of players, and players seriously value these virtual items, and there have been reports of data loss in the past, you don't just do it for the heck of it.

10 items in a gear category: 3x3 grid + 1 currently selected

by scarab @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:35 (3401 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

I actually thought of that...

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:00 (3401 days ago) @ scarab

And my thought was that you have to back out of the Vault screen, then enter your gear screen to swap out your currently selected piece. Then you need to re-enter the vault to put it in there.

Of course, the transactions could be parallelised in the background, but my naive thought was that it would complete them within the same Vault 'session' if you like.

Maybe not. I've not done a packet inspection to find out when this stuff is actually happening. :)

I just want 60 empty slots, not 20/category

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:34 (3401 days ago) @ RC

This is why I keep one shitty gun in each category for my characters. I use the vault to swap my weapons around character to character. When I'm ready to switch, I equip all the shitty guns and start transferring. I've got too many weapons I'd like to keep around now so I can't actually transfer them all. I actually think the vault should simply be 60 empty slots that you can fill however you'd like. I never come close to filling my armor slots.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:46 (3401 days ago) @ BeardFade

This is why I keep one shitty gun in each category for my characters. I use the vault to swap my weapons around character to character. When I'm ready to switch, I equip all the shitty guns and start transferring. I've got too many weapons I'd like to keep around now so I can't actually transfer them all. I actually think the vault should simply be 60 empty slots that you can fill however you'd like. I never come close to filling my armor slots.

This would probably be a great solution. Nobody is out of space for armor or inventory items in their vault.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:50 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm out of space for inventory items, and not weapons.

Shaders, man.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:44 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Shaders and consumables take half of my inventory space. I NEED MORE SPACE

Seriously, though, does anyone often find themselves with their armor vault full?

This

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:54 (3401 days ago) @ ZackDark

I still have all of my starting gear in there for silly hoarding reasons, but that's about it.

This

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 19:01 (3401 days ago) @ ZackDark

I realized that blue engrams will decrpyt to the class decrpyting them. My warlock needs hadronic essence bad where my hunter has spinmetal coming out the wazoo. So my armor vault gets filled with engrams for my warlock to decrypt later. But that's easily emptied. Thus, most the time I have 40/60 filled when i transfer weapons and inventory, but armor is empty.

This

by ckamp, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:18 (3401 days ago) @ ZackDark

When I was initially leveling my character, I would store armor that I unlocked for the other classes in the vault. I had armor for most levels in there waiting for my next characters so they were almost always rocking the best gear they could along the way.

After they all got leveled past 20? The armory is an echo chamber....

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:13 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This would probably be a great solution. Nobody is out of space for armor or inventory items in their vault.

lol - wrong. My inventory items block is 100% full, and twice I've had to juggle to put new things in.

I guess it's different for those of us who don't play multiple classes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:16 (3401 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Help me understand.

I put only telemetries and commendations in the vault. That's like 10 slots. What's stopping you from keeping everything else on your characters? Even if you need to switch, there's plenty of room in the vault to do so.

SHADERS

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:21 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And to a lesser extent, ships and emblems.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 11:26 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Help me understand.

I put only telemetries and commendations in the vault. That's like 10 slots. What's stopping you from keeping everything else on your characters? Even if you need to switch, there's plenty of room in the vault to do so.

I keep class-specific mats (sapphire wire, hadronic essence, etc) for classes I don't play (now/yet) there, I keep nameplates there, I keep shaders there.

::shrug::

It's full. What can I tell you?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 16, 2015, 13:30 (3400 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Help me understand.

I keep class-specific mats (sapphire wire, hadronic essence, etc) for classes I don't play (now/yet) there, I keep nameplates there, I keep shaders there.

::shrug::

It's full. What can I tell you?

I see. I just wanted to know. I just throw away all my shaders and nameplates that are ugly :-p

Careful, you'll get a nasty reputation

by scarab @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 12:34 (3400 days ago) @ RC

as a promiscuous packet sniffer!

You'll never live it down.

Adding to the list

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:02 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- Birth of History spaceship is missing textures in the middle section and has been that way since the first Iron Banner event.
- On PS4, periodically the sound from the game will drop out while playing. Party chat continues normally. I'm assuming this is a PSN issue and not actually a Destiny bug, but still.
- The plot makes no damn sense and is seemingly out of order. I guess that's just a terrible design decision, but it is why the game is a 7 and not a 10 in my book.
- There's a bugged chest on the moon that can't be looted, in the first building to the left of where you spawn in for patrol missions.
- NAB, but poor design: Unable to explore many large areas during patrol, such as the black garden, etc..
- NAB, but poor design: Must return to orbit before returning the tower. I cheat this by joining a friend's fireteam who is at the tower already whenever possible.
- NAB, but poor design: The very first auto rifle is really strong in crucible.
- NAB, but poor design: No Land Beyond. Almost all aspects of this gun are awful. Takes an exotic slot, clips through the ground in PvP intro animations, shows a "scope glow" to enemies despite not having a scope, zooms in when ADSing despite not having a scope, RoF is terrible, but can be "reload cancelled" to speed it up (that's a bug), etc..
- Postmortem melee kills shouldn't be possible.
- Netcode lag is super common, leading to immortal enemies who run into walls and then teleport, followed by me instantly dying to bullets that were never fired.
- Truth shows "2" as the magazine size when inspected, but is actually mag size 3.
- NAB but poor design: Iron Banner, a PvP event, requires hours of boring PvE glimmer farming in order to reap all rewards.

Khvostov

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:33 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

How is the Khvostov being good in PvP poor design, exactly?

Also, since when was the Khvostov particularly good in PvP?

Khvostov

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:42 (3401 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

The khostov is p good in regular crucible due to its high impact. However compared to the blue and purple ar's its gonna have less capacity more recoil and slower reloads.

Its decent and fun to use tho.

It being decent in crucible is not a bad design decision, and if you think that you don't understand crucible or the difference in pvp vs pve

Khvostov

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:43 (3401 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

The khostov is p good in regular crucible due to its high impact. However compared to the blue and purple ar's its gonna have less capacity more recoil and slower reloads.

Its decent and fun to use tho.

It being decent in crucible is not a bad design decision, and if you think that you don't understand crucible or the difference in pvp vs pve

Yeah, all other things being equal between the two opponents, the khvostov is outshooting many guns.

Khvostov

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:47 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yeah, all other things being equal between the two opponents, the khvostov is outshooting many guns.

All things being actually equal, Bungie the demi gods of stats would have nerfed it by now. They haven't, which I'd guess means that your observations are not quite "all equal".

Khvostov

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:52 (3401 days ago) @ Earendil

All things being actually equal, Bungie the demi gods of stats would have nerfed it by now. They haven't, which I'd guess means that your observations are not quite "all equal".

Ha! I meant to right "isn't outshooting"! The khvostov isn't outshooting many guns! Otherwise everyone would be using it.

I need to learn to proofread.

That makes more sense :) [nt]

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:54 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

No Text

Yeah, don't use the khvostov. I can't make that more clear.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:00 (3401 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

Level 32 w/ Khvostov

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:01 (3401 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Talk about a way to catch people off guard when they die to a level 32 with a Khvostov lol

They already nerfed it once

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:46 (3401 days ago) @ Earendil

Used to have much less recoil and a larger mag. Still delivers enough punch to be better than many "legendary" ARs. I'll take Khostov over Unwilling Soul any day.

Adding to the list

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:19 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You must not understand Scorch.

Adding to the list

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:35 (3401 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm pretty sure the postmortem melee kills are due to the way Destiny handles lag and aren't really post mortems. You just get a medal for it.

Adding to the list

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:57 (3401 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Possibly. It could also be that if a titan is pounding your head in with his body, and you put a small bullet through his head, that that really doesn't stop the mass of his body.

This is one reason shotguns are used by SWAT/Military. If someone is charging you with a knife, shooting them with a pistol at 5 feet may kill him, but may also not save you. A shotgun helps stop the attackers forward momentum.

Adding to the list

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 16:46 (3401 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Oh, no, I've meleed someone (without Energy Drain or Scorch being charged) and then they kill me right after and then they die. It's either lagging and they're dying late, or its lagging and showing events to me wrong.

That's been happening a lot less often, now.

Adding to the list

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:51 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by unoudid, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:57

Warlocks have scorch or energy drain that lasts after initial hit which makes that viable. Not reallt sure on the Hunter or Titan.

I'm a hunter and I get postmortem melee all day

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:49 (3401 days ago) @ unoudid

Lots of times I melee someone with what should be a killing blow. Then they turn around and pistol me twice. Then I die. Then they die. I get a postmortem melee kill. I should still be alive, looking down at their dead body. The netcode is very laggy, and that is a bug. Point of comparison: Halo never had these problems. Of course, I play halo on xbox live, rather than PSN, so maybe PSN is just garbage.

I'm a hunter and I get postmortem melee all day

by Durandal, Friday, January 16, 2015, 05:08 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Lots of times I melee someone with what should be a killing blow. Then they turn around and pistol me twice. Then I die. Then they die. I get a postmortem melee kill. I should still be alive, looking down at their dead body. The netcode is very laggy, and that is a bug. Point of comparison: Halo never had these problems. Of course, I play halo on xbox live, rather than PSN, so maybe PSN is just garbage.

Halo had the issue where the two of you would melee close to the same time and one would die and the other would be unharmed. Whomever had the better latency would always win. I also saw people get hit with rockets point blank and die only to actually be alive and kill you due to lag. In this case Halo had problems but they were not as obvious due to the system hiding them.

Destiny is much more ... forgiving... in the netcode so it is a little more obvious when there was a near simultaneous kill.

I prefer this to CoD or Halo's early implementations for the most part.

Adding to the list

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:19 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- Truth shows "2" as the magazine size when inspected, but is actually mag size 3.

Also true with many Scout Rifles, For the People (holds 30% more than the card says) and Song of Ir Yut (holds, amazingly, more than double the stated amount)

Adding to the list

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:38 (3401 days ago) @ someotherguy

Song of Ir Yut (holds, amazingly, more than double the stated amount)

I just got this gun last night and found out about that little oddity. I was actually hoping it WAS 35 rounds because HMGs with such low ammo capacity tend to be slow-firing/stable and hard-hitting (Deviant Gravity is still my favorite HMG).

On the bright side, despite the 80-something capacity and very high RoF, its stability is excellent. I'm pretty happy with it.

One more feature I miss

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:50 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Replays!!!

Bungie has had brilliant replays ever since Marathon. Why are they conspicuously absent from Destiny???

I swear, if I didn't already know, and you told me Destiny was the game Bungie made *before* Halo, and I played them both back to back, I'd believe you.

One more feature I miss

by Durandal, Friday, January 16, 2015, 05:13 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I feel like Destiny is based on lots of the promises of the early Macintosh development versions of Halo 1, and like Halo 1 many of these concepts didn't pass the technical requirements of X box development time tables.

Back when you were supposed to be able to drive all the way around the Halo, Master Chief had a machete, and elites had tails.

They had this whole mystery vibe going exploring alien ruins while battling the covenant. Sadly the old E3 trailer told more story then Destiny does currently.

Heh

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, January 16, 2015, 08:48 (3401 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I read this as "Postmortem shouldn't be allowed to get melee kills" :p

-Disciple

I fixed the Heavy Ammo bug

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:18 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Arma + a RL with Field Scout and Surplus

:P

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 19:51 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I get you, but I personally don't care. I can watch 'em. Maybe a Left 4 Dead style, vote to skip?

Yeah, that's kinda messed up.

Not a glitch--that's for punishment.

There actually is one thing to think about. Having a bigger vault would allow us to add more items, but then we'd have no "penalty", no loss. 20 slots per category forces you to choose wisely on which guns you need and what you can afford to throw away. Just like only being able to hold two weapons in CE.

Heh heh. I guess you have a point there. If it gets me a chance to record that badass track from The World's Grave. That's not on the soundtrack, either.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread