Random Losers... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 16:40 (3397 days ago)

This thread is devoted to horror stories about random losers you've been paired with.

This afternoon I had the extreme displeasure of playing with TB8. I vaguely understand if someone walks away from their console without leaving a playlist or goes inactive for a few minutes... That's not what this guy did. As far as I can tell he was at his console the entire time but refused to play. He would follow the two of us who were actually playing the game from section to section then just stand there... around the corner completely out of sight if possible. The thing was if something came close to him he'd move out of the way or occasionally even shoot telling me he was there just trying to get away with doing the absolute minimum possible to get the rewards.

You guys (hopefully) know me. I say if you enjoy playing a game play it and if you don't then don't. But to sit there and waste my time and his apparently just for the meager rewards? This guy has me mad as hell. Doing what he did rubs me in the worst way. I reported this guy every way I knew how. I used the Xbox live Review Player feature to mark him as unsporting. I muted his mic (not that I heard him... but just in case there's ever a chance I might) and I used Destiny's built in tools to mark him as Unhelpful, Unfriendly, Cheating (he was bascially using inactivity to his gain and to my detriment... so yeah, I do consider it cheating) and, of corse Inactivity. I very nearly used the Xbox Live Report Player feature to report him for tampering... but being a total ass doesn't quite rise to that level unfortunately.

I wish I was confident that my reports would do something, but this is the internet. Only the worst offenses are acted on and I'm guessing most people don't care that one guy was being stupid. So, here I am, angry, pretty much to the point my afternoon is ruined, and there's nothing I can do that I think will matter or isn't being a total jerk myself.

Perhaps one of you will share your stories of misery and cheer me up...

Random Losers...

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 16:47 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Allow me to help you understand what is really happening here:

[image]

Random Losers...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 16:55 (3397 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

There's a difference between griefing and putting forth the absolute minimal amount of effort. If I was going to grief someone I'd stand in their way and punch and shoot them the entire game and try to push them or kill them with my Sparrow. This guy wasn't there to make people mad. Once or twice he ran out and revived someone so we wouldn't wipe. He just did absolutely nothing to help. Which to me is worse than actual griefing...

Random Losers...

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 17:49 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You're probably right. Still a really funny comic though, so hopefully folks got a laugh out of it.

Indeed. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 19:04 (3397 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

- No text -

There's another one.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 23:00 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Thanks for nothing BoldColurs2112. Maybe I just need to get hip to the not playing to win style? (Really, I would have hoped that the game could sense someone squatting around the corner of a boss battle for 15 - 20 minutes and kick them out... Guess not...)

There's another one.

by petetheduck, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 23:22 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This is rampant. A very common topic on Reddit. Best advice I can give you is to make peace with it or don't play the Strikes.

Bungie can fix this easily...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 23:24 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

...if they incentivize getting kills via bounties over the current set of bounties. The afk problem in strikes exists because there are bounties involving not dying in strikes and rewards for simply completing activities. Make it more about how many orbs you generate and only give rewards to players who do 10 percent or more damage to the boss.

Or just kick to orbit after one minute...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 17, 2015, 23:30 (3397 days ago) @ iconicbanana

...you know, along with deleveling that character to zero and replacing their armor and weapons with the starting set. Have I ever mentioned I'm pretty harsh on quitters and inactives?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 01:13 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The problem with this is it's not easy to detect. That player may look like they're doing nothing, but in reality they're probably hitting a random button every so often, because Destiny DOES boot you after a while (I'm not sure how long, having never done it myself) with absolutely NO activity. You might think that measuring a percentage of damage dealt to enemies would work, but that has the unfortunate side effect of punishing less-skilled players. Imagine you're just trying to have fun and the game boots you because you're not good enough. :(

What I do when I encounter these players is go right to where they're hiding, and sit down. Then I go make myself a snack and come back in a few minutes. Obviously, the courteous thing to do would be to make sure the 3rd player is also in on your tactic, otherwise you're really punishing them more than the AFKer, and that's not cool.

One time I did that, and the 3rd player also sat down with me. I then messaged the AFK player "contribute, or this goes nowhere." He got up and started fighting about 10 seconds later.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 01:58 (3397 days ago) @ stabbim

You'd use multiple measures. Is the player within the line of sight of enemies? Is the player's location changing significantly? Is the player firing his weapon? Is the player hitting any enemies? Is the player taking damage? Has the player just been marked as Inactive? Maybe you can move around enough to fake that kind of detection but if you aren't being shot at for some reasonable period of time and the other players are... then something is up. Getting market as inactive should greatly tighten the detection thresholds.

I still don't understand the rationale. If the goal is the rewards and you're around enough to respond... doesn't staying safely around the corner make it take longer to complete any given Strike? And make it more likely that a Strike will fail? What's the point?!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, January 18, 2015, 08:13 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Maybe you can move around enough to fake that kind of detection but if you aren't being shot at for some reasonable period of time and the other players are... then something is up.

Wait, you get shot? ;)

I still don't understand the rationale. If the goal is the rewards and you're around enough to respond... doesn't staying safely around the corner make it take longer to complete any given Strike? And make it more likely that a Strike will fail? What's the point?!

Not really. If they stay hidden, it makes it safer to do the "stay alive" bounties. With the other "kill whatever boss" bounties, however, I entirely agree with you. Unless they think anchoring respawns is a good idea in Destiny.

Btw, I might spend a lot of time with the One crowd right now, but if you ever need a hand, don't hesitate to shoot me an invite.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 21:54 (3396 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I still don't understand the rationale. If the goal is the rewards and you're around enough to respond... doesn't staying safely around the corner make it take longer to complete any given Strike?

Yes, but they may not care. Being "around" doesn't necessarily mean they're putting forth any effort. They're probably playing on their phone or something and just bumping the controller periodically.

Or, like ZackDark said, they're probably going for the "strike without dying" bounty. In that case, how long it takes isn't among their concerns. Even if their teammates quit, matchmaking will eventually bring them new ones.

And make it more likely that a Strike will fail?

Not really. With one player safely out of the way, it may take longer, but the team won't wipe.

I'm not saying I like this behavior, but strictly speaking, I don't think it makes failure more likely.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, January 19, 2015, 06:25 (3396 days ago) @ stabbim

I still don't understand the rationale. If the goal is the rewards and you're around enough to respond... doesn't staying safely around the corner make it take longer to complete any given Strike?

Yes, but they may not care. Being "around" doesn't necessarily mean they're putting forth any effort. They're probably playing on their phone or something and just bumping the controller periodically.

Or, like ZackDark said, they're probably going for the "strike without dying" bounty. In that case, how long it takes isn't among their concerns. Even if their teammates quit, matchmaking will eventually bring them new ones.

And make it more likely that a Strike will fail?

Not really. With one player safely out of the way, it may take longer, but the team won't wipe.

I'm not saying I like this behavior, but strictly speaking, I don't think it makes failure more likely.

It still makes me laugh that folks just don't run Sepkis at level 8 or whatever. Blasting through that is much faster than idling through a higher level strike. Haha.

Random Losers...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 08:12 (3397 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Had someone try to "free ride" the Phogoth strike a while ago; I got so annoyed I went out of my way to kite a hoarde of Cursed Thrall to his "special rock".

-- Steve also did a "sit down strike" on another cowardly rando until he quit.

Random Losers...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 08:31 (3397 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I just leave the strike and roll the dice again. You can usually tell in he first minute and it's less trouble than fighting through dead weight.

Raid matchmaking plz

by petetheduck, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 08:34 (3397 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Yeah, no thanks! :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 10:21 (3396 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Random Losers...

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 20:27 (3396 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So, sometimes I feel bad when people go into a strike with my 6 year old who simply can't get enough of destiny. He loves destiny to pieces and his favorite part is playing with a "team" on a strike or "my friends" on patrol.

He shoots the ground, he runs around looking at things, he drops the controller and walks away or yells through the house for 30-60 seconds to talk to a sibling about a kill or an engram drop. He leaves at odd times. He melee's the walker on sepkis prime and thinks it's hilarious (lvl 8, his favorite strike).

He is lvl 25 through drops only. He has only made it through the moon missions and a few

Sometimes I feel bad for the random people who play with him. I can hardly stand to watch sometimes.

And sometimes I wonder if this is the only good way to troll random people on the internet.

heh.

He has only ever gotten one message from another player.

"Why r u so bad"

His PS4 ID tag is TheStoneArmy. If you see him, don't rage, just leave. =)

http://destinytracker.com/destiny/overview/ps/thestonearmy

Random Losers...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, January 18, 2015, 20:40 (3396 days ago) @ slycrel

If someone is kinda playing that's ok. Not ideal, of course, but not rage inducing. I'll stop reviving someone after a few odd / dumb deaths but I won't want them banned from the game like I do with people who obviously hide around the corner in area after area.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread