Reliving the glory days - long winded and bloviating (Destiny)

by Fuertisimo, Monday, January 19, 2015, 22:09 (3385 days ago)

I've had a slowly dawning realization over the past couple of years. With age comes the atrophy of my video gaming skills. Currently I find myself sitting at thirty years of age, and I am now certain that my peak came long ago and I will never be near that level again.

The game that has beaten me over the head and worn me down into accepting this truth is League of Legends. Like a professional athlete that has lost a step, my focus and technical ability are on the downslope. It's a trend I don't see stopping. Real life obligations and pursuits prevent me from practicing like I did when I was a young dumb college student (I am now an old dumb college student, thanks in part to being a young dumb college student). While I maintain a respectable Gold rating, and have as recently as a year ago been in promos for platinum, I can not even imagine ever having the drive or the ability to make a push into platinum and towards diamond.

As I come to accept this, I am finding myself waxing nostalgic for my glory days when I was a fearsome competitor, when I was ruthless and bloodthirsty and headstrong and had the skill to back it up. I find myself recalling my most memorable moments, my greatest triumphs and my most bitter defeats.

There are only two games in my life that I can say without a trace of doubt that I was very, very good at. Well three really, if you're not going to lump Myth:TFL and Myth 2 together. Halo 2 was the other one.

My most memorable moment came in Halo 2 (and god I wish there were saved films back then because I had some doozies). This moment was not the single most skilled moment I ever had, but it was memorable thanks to my opposition.

The game was team deathmatch, the map was Midship. I found myself up near the sword spawn, but with shotgun in hand. 2 opposing players had come up the ramp in front of me and were closing down on me. So I charged. I used some subtle strafing to evade a good bit of their incoming fire and they did the sensible thing, they each strafed towards opposite sides of me. In a blur, I whirled to my left and plasma grenade stuck the leaping opponent on that side, and swung back to my right and at what must have been absolute maximum range 1 shotted his compatriot with the shotgun. It happened fast, but as the plasma grenade was getting ready to detonate, I could hear him screaming into his mic:

NO FUCKING WA*BOOM*

Glorious. And completely memorable thanks to whoever that was expressing his outrage and disbelief.

My most bitter defeat was probably the totality of my Myth career. I started playing Myth when I was just 13 years old, and by the time I was 14 I was already a well established player. It seems silly in retrospect, but at 14 years old Myth tournaments seemed like a really big deal.

Over the course of I would estimate a years time, I managed to finish 2nd place in the Myth:TFL Best of Myth Tournament (a smaller 1 on 1 affair, but with some notable competition, I lost 3-2 in the finals to My Modem Is on Fire, for any vets who remember those people).

In Myth 2, the biggest tournament close to the games launch was Trial by Combat. I managed to finish as a first alternate for the finals (7th place), barely missing the top 6 and entry to the final round.

I then proceeded to just barely miss the final round of the 7 phoenix rising (Bungie sponsored) tournament. I finished 2nd out of 6 in my semifinal bracket, just behind eventual tournament winner Voodoo. Only the winners of each of the 6 brackets moved to the finals.

My next chance was the Shogun tournament. A less prestigious affair but still containing some big name players, I managed to make the finals at last, but fell woefully short finishing 4th out of 6.

My Myth career was winding down at this point and I had one last shot at tournament glory, to atone for being so close so many times. In the Fields of Carnage tournament, I again made it to the final round, and once again fell short, this time finishing 3rd out of 6. Going into the final game, I still had a chance to take the win, but couldn't pull it out.

That was one of the last games of Myth I ever played.

It's hard to understand I'm sure, but for a 14/15 year old kid, these failures felt devastating. It felt like I'd blown game 7 of the world series, or been routed in the super bowl. Those losses stuck with me for a long time.

I was also a total asshole at that time in my life, like so many other young teenagers, so if anyone remembers me (How many former Mythers are even on here?) I apologize if I was ever a dick to you or anyone you know.

So, in conclusion... Are there any other "aging" (I hate to use the term at 30, but in competitive video game years that is ancient) Bungie gamers who also look back fondly towards their youth? Are there any others who recall devastating defeats that left bitter tastes in their mouths? Any particularly thrilling victories that sent your adrenaline surging?

Reliving the glory days - long winded and bloviating

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 06:10 (3385 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I've had a slowly dawning realization over the past couple of years. With age comes the atrophy of my video gaming skills. Currently I find myself sitting at thirty years of age, and I am now certain that my peak came long ago and I will never be near that level again.

The game that has beaten me over the head and worn me down into accepting this truth is League of Legends. Like a professional athlete that has lost a step, my focus and technical ability are on the downslope. It's a trend I don't see stopping. Real life obligations and pursuits prevent me from practicing like I did when I was a young dumb college student (I am now an old dumb college student, thanks in part to being a young dumb college student). While I maintain a respectable Gold rating, and have as recently as a year ago been in promos for platinum, I can not even imagine ever having the drive or the ability to make a push into platinum and towards diamond.

As I come to accept this, I am finding myself waxing nostalgic for my glory days when I was a fearsome competitor, when I was ruthless and bloodthirsty and headstrong and had the skill to back it up. I find myself recalling my most memorable moments, my greatest triumphs and my most bitter defeats.

There are only two games in my life that I can say without a trace of doubt that I was very, very good at. Well three really, if you're not going to lump Myth:TFL and Myth 2 together. Halo 2 was the other one.

My most memorable moment came in Halo 2 (and god I wish there were saved films back then because I had some doozies). This moment was not the single most skilled moment I ever had, but it was memorable thanks to my opposition.

The game was team deathmatch, the map was Midship. I found myself up near the sword spawn, but with shotgun in hand. 2 opposing players had come up the ramp in front of me and were closing down on me. So I charged. I used some subtle strafing to evade a good bit of their incoming fire and they did the sensible thing, they each strafed towards opposite sides of me. In a blur, I whirled to my left and plasma grenade stuck the leaping opponent on that side, and swung back to my right and at what must have been absolute maximum range 1 shotted his compatriot with the shotgun. It happened fast, but as the plasma grenade was getting ready to detonate, I could hear him screaming into his mic:

NO FUCKING WA*BOOM*

Glorious. And completely memorable thanks to whoever that was expressing his outrage and disbelief.

My most bitter defeat was probably the totality of my Myth career. I started playing Myth when I was just 13 years old, and by the time I was 14 I was already a well established player. It seems silly in retrospect, but at 14 years old Myth tournaments seemed like a really big deal.

Over the course of I would estimate a years time, I managed to finish 2nd place in the Myth:TFL Best of Myth Tournament (a smaller 1 on 1 affair, but with some notable competition, I lost 3-2 in the finals to My Modem Is on Fire, for any vets who remember those people).

In Myth 2, the biggest tournament close to the games launch was Trial by Combat. I managed to finish as a first alternate for the finals (7th place), barely missing the top 6 and entry to the final round.

I then proceeded to just barely miss the final round of the 7 phoenix rising (Bungie sponsored) tournament. I finished 2nd out of 6 in my semifinal bracket, just behind eventual tournament winner Voodoo. Only the winners of each of the 6 brackets moved to the finals.

My next chance was the Shogun tournament. A less prestigious affair but still containing some big name players, I managed to make the finals at last, but fell woefully short finishing 4th out of 6.

My Myth career was winding down at this point and I had one last shot at tournament glory, to atone for being so close so many times. In the Fields of Carnage tournament, I again made it to the final round, and once again fell short, this time finishing 3rd out of 6. Going into the final game, I still had a chance to take the win, but couldn't pull it out.

That was one of the last games of Myth I ever played.

It's hard to understand I'm sure, but for a 14/15 year old kid, these failures felt devastating. It felt like I'd blown game 7 of the world series, or been routed in the super bowl. Those losses stuck with me for a long time.

I was also a total asshole at that time in my life, like so many other young teenagers, so if anyone remembers me (How many former Mythers are even on here?) I apologize if I was ever a dick to you or anyone you know.

So, in conclusion... Are there any other "aging" (I hate to use the term at 30, but in competitive video game years that is ancient) Bungie gamers who also look back fondly towards their youth? Are there any others who recall devastating defeats that left bitter tastes in their mouths? Any particularly thrilling victories that sent your adrenaline surging?

It's not aging that is necessarily the problem, it's the whole "being an adult" thing that gets in the way.

I would say for most of us (not all, or course) our golden gaming days revolved around whatever we had available to us in High School and College, when we didn't have families and other obligations like work and bills blah blah blah.

The caliber of people you play'd with then vs who you can play with now has changed quite a bit too.

I had a lot of friends I gamed with in Halo 2-3 that I don't game with now. Different games just revolved around different crowds I suppose.

I think what makes me sad about getting older, as it relates to gaming is not necessarily my skills getting soft, but that I'll never be able to be immersed and involved in a game like I did in my late teens.

The countless hours spent dicking around in Perfect Dark, and the original Smash Bros and Halo 2- I'll NEVER be able to capture that again.

That's not to say I won't enjoy or love games, just that I quite literally do NOT have the free time and resources to make gaming my central pastime. So for me, that's why it's become incredibly important to have a regular group and time to game with.

Now, it's not so important to be "good" as it is just to play and have fun, period.

Quarters & Arcades...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 09:19 (3385 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I would say for most of us (not all, or course) our golden gaming days revolved around whatever we had available to us in High School and College, when we didn't have families and other obligations like work and bills blah blah blah.

Goodness did I ever play a lot of Street Fighter 2, Mortal Combat, & pinball (Twilight Zone I'm looking @ you). The bragging rights that came with getting your name on the high scores list on a machine... so much fun. So many quarters... so so so many quarters. :)

Quarters & Arcades...

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 10:54 (3385 days ago) @ dogcow

Goodness did I ever play a lot of Street Fighter 2, Mortal Combat, & pinball (Twilight Zone I'm looking @ you). The bragging rights that came with getting your name on the high scores list on a machine... so much fun. So many quarters... so so so many quarters. :)

So, you would say that you are for the idea of pay-to-play aye? ;-)

Quarters & Arcades...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:05 (3384 days ago) @ Earendil

So, you would say that you are for the idea of pay-to-play aye? ;-)

Certainly not! In some ways it was much better when I was finally able to own those games on a snes (still working on acquiring a good pinball machine), although something was certainly lost with the final death of the arcades in the 90s. Watching other random people (IRL) and then, if you thought you could beat them, challenging them by placing your quarter on the glass... having a group of guys huddled around a cabinet where a couple really good players were fighting it out, the public cheers. There was just something to it. Tho' my pocket book was very grateful to purchase the cart when it was released :).

Myth and aging

by nico, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11:38 (3385 days ago) @ dogcow

My Modem is on Fire… there's a name I haven't seen in a long time. -- I was (technically still am) part of the Myth order µDogs, don't know if you remember them / us.

Myth TFL is probably one of the top 5, maybe top 3 best games ever made, and the multiplayer element was just wonderful. It was so perfect in part due to its flaws and its physics. "Cheating" was hard and required real skill, CB, CL, people who "cheated" were pros.

While I do think the athletic part of reflex does begin its inexorable decline, what does set in is experience, I don't know if that weights for "professional" playing. I don't pretend to be anything but an average / below average player, I do find that knowing the maps, getting people to follow you, the poker part of multiplayer I feel gives an edge to more experienced players.

Finally, you're 30 -- punk.

I remember that order/clan :) (nt)

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11:48 (3385 days ago) @ nico

- No text -

Quarters & Arcades...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:56 (3384 days ago) @ dogcow

I still take the train down to Japan town with 2 or 3 bucks in quarters every so often. Play at the arcade, eat dinner, then go home. It's still a great time even though school is a distant memory.

Yeah, me. (Also, Get in here Beorn)

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 10:52 (3385 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

You make me wonder if I have a split personality that posts on DBO under a different user name.

I too, am of the prestigious age of 30. I too, grew up with Myth:TFL and to a greater extent Myth:SB as my gaming career highlight. My clan (which I shall call all gaming groups from here to eternity) only ever did okay. We entered a few, held our ground against the first or second team, and eventually fell without notice.

What makes it the height of my gaming career was FFA, particularly KotH, CTF, and to a lesser extent LmotH. If the map was Proving Grounds, I couldn't be stopped, averaging 2 armies wiped per game. One of my best matches was finishing a KotH FFA game with the equivalent of 3.5 armies destroyed, and there were only 5 other armies. At my height, I made it to top 100 in KotH, and I did it playing 4-6 person FFA games, not that pansy 1v1 shit that players used to get to the top :)

I had a knack for predicting where players would go, what they would do. I could scout an area, see a single unit, and know what all was there and what they were likely to do. I could watch team percentages drop and know exactly what they had lost. I could goad and lure almost anyone to precisely where I wanted them. I wish mics were standard back then so I could hear them realize what was about to happen to them. I can't do any of that any more.

In the last few years I got into DOTA2 with my house mates. I used to play DOTA in College, back when it was a WC3 add on. With DOTA 2, even though I had a "team", it was obvious that I was not as sharp or as trained as my Myth days. I couldn't predict players so easily, I couldn't out maneuver them. Perhaps this is an advancement average player skill level over the years. No one (at least I hadn't) played a game like Myth before, it was new ground to master. Now popular games are more or less modifications of existing games and ideas. There are a lot more gamers, who have spent a lot more time, and they done it on games that are rather similar to the current stock.

I lost 3-2 in the finals to My Modem Is on Fire, for any vets who remember those people).

Yep, I know that name :)

I finished 2nd out of 6 in my semifinal bracket, just behind eventual tournament winner Voodoo.

I remember VooDoo as well, but it wasn't spelled that way? If I recall that was back when symbols were allowed in names, so many didn't stick to the strict 26 character alphabet.

I'm aging, I'm not as good, but I also think that my "skills" don't translate so well to the games I play today. I'm not an aggressive player, which served me well in Myth FFA, but not so much in Halo. I pull in a positive KD spread in Destiny, but I end with 10-15 kills. The 10 kills without dying in Iron Banner was a pain for me to get :)

I don't think I had many devastating defeats, probably because I was never that good, such that a lose was a blow to my hopes and dreams. But Myth certainly provided some of the best wins of my gaming career. I should see if I have any of those old films still, and if I own software or a machine that will even play them...

Oh to find another game like Myth, instead of the FPS, RPG, and RTS games that I like to play today. Of course, I don't think I'd want to know that I'm no longer good at Myth :)

Almost forgot

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11:03 (3385 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11:10

For anyone that has a memory, I went by a few different forgettable names back in the Myth days. Usually it was Gandalf (of which there were about 7 of us) followed by Fladnag (yes, that's gandalf backwards). I hung around the Hotline (wow flashbacks...) community as an immature little 12/13/14 year old.

I believe I would be most recognized as:
Gandalf <KoA>
Which was my longest running clan.

I wish I could remember my actual ID... I think it was gandalfjrr, but I'm not sure.

I just tried to find some sort of record of my screen name in via google, but after a few minutes I failed. That's sad... Or good, depending on how much of what I left online was utter stupid.

Edit: Apparently I did adopt the name "Earendil" in Myth. I found a tournament record (Fields of Carnage) with my login and that name. Seems I only placed 60th in it though. I'm about to spend way too much time using google to dig up nostalgia.

Almost forgot

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11:51 (3385 days ago) @ Earendil

I do recognize that name. Mechjock -Desf- checking in here.

And yes, you are correct Voodoo used some kind of character combination for the d in his name that I can't quite recall what it was.

Desf was never really much of a threat in team tournament play either. We were just 7 or 8 punk kids of a WIDE range of skill and ability.

I remember in one tournament we gave a single wight to who I am going to politely call our worst player (and that is probably a generous way to put it). His mission was to focus completely on doing something useful with that wight. He ended up accidentally detonating it in a pool of water far from any enemy.

"Noted because they can type their order name with one hand"

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 12:10 (3385 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

http://www.mythgaming.net/nml/teams/desf.htm

Ah yes, the Dwarven Elite Strike Force :)
We only did slightly better than you in that tournament. We were always small and never did well either.

Spoiler Alert

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 16:46 (3384 days ago) @ Earendil

We were not a sleeper team. Unless by sleeper you mean we were sleeping with the fishes early on.

I think that was the tournament we lost to #CP# and Isolder bet Pallor a pair of her used underwear that we would win. I forget what he wagered. We had some weird cats in that clan haha.

Knights of Azur ≈Køá≈ (hit of nostalgia)

by Earendil, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:02 (3384 days ago) @ Earendil

It's better than crack. I was about to stop myself from posting this, because I figured it's thread jacking. Then I saw the title of the thread again, and decided it wasn't ;-)

Found a tournament page that shows the names and symbols for my most prominent clan. The images are what really bring back the memories (Even if I was't in that particular tournament).

[image]

I never kept up with those guys after Myth. The next Bungie game was years upon years away, on a different platform, with no multiplayer. By the time I realized I might want to play with them again all of our earthlink/aol/hotmail addresses were expired.

I wonder if any of them come around here?

Knights of Azur ≈Køá≈ (hit of nostalgia)

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 16:53 (3384 days ago) @ Earendil

I actually didn't really keep up with Desf people afterwards, but I, by a complete stroke of incredible luck, found an enclave of former Myth players in Warcraft 3. How did I find them? I was in a public fucking lobby of all places and I recognized the handle "The Moonshade". I messaged him like shit... did you play Myth? And he had, and evidently there was a little channel of former Myth players (most consisting of people from the clan JaG (Just a game)). There was only 8 or 9 of us but I stuck with that crowd for a few years. We hopped from Warcraft 3 to WoW, and then finally starting breaking up around the end of vanilla WoW (raiding in WoW was brutally unforgiving on small clans of course).

I haven't spoken to anyone from Desf proper in over a decade though, except Zeronova who was my friend in real life.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 10:55 (3385 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I got an honorable mention in the star wars collectible card game tournament at age 17. Then I professionally tested games until 22. But, honestly, at 35 I feel like i'm still one of the best guys out there on a daily basis. I don't have the time to commit to join a professional team or anything, but when I put on my tryface, I still, to use the modern parlance, pwn the n00bs.

Your glory days aren't behind you, good sir. Not by a long shot. You're just playing with a different purpose these days.

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11:48 (3385 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Maybe you're right. I just feel like I've lost a step, so to speak, when I put my tryface on these days.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 12:41 (3384 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I was 30 when Marathon came out, so do the math. I've never been competitive in multiplayer. I did manage to beat my buddy Prof Ozy a few times in Myth TFL, but he's just a few years younger than me. (I recently beat him in a one-on-one match on Hang 'em High, so maybe I've gotten better or he's gotten worse--that certainly didn't happen back in the day.)

I sometimes brag that I was competitive in Halo 2 for about a week. Really, though, if you play 4,000 games you're bound to accidentally own now and then. One match in particular was on Midship. The rest of my team quit so you might say I had a target-rich environment. I knew where all the sticky grenades were and kept myself stocked, and then used them very effectively. It helped that the other team kept bunching up on the ramps. This was back when everyone used their mics. In the lobby afterwards I heard the words that had never been spoken and would never be spoken again, "Damn, Kermit! You got mad skillz!"

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 12:44 (3384 days ago) @ Kermit

I heard the words that had never been spoken and would never be spoken again, "Damn, Kermit! You got mad skillz!"

I lol'd

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:53 (3384 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

So, in conclusion... Are there any other "aging" (I hate to use the term at 30, but in competitive video game years that is ancient) Bungie gamers who also look back fondly towards their youth?

I turn 30 this year. Right now I'm only looking back to learn where not to go moving ahead. The fact that I am completely outclassed nowadays when it comes to something like speedrunning is not necessarily a bad thing. I just discovered that overall, it's just not that rewarding of an activity at a high level. You DO have to put in crazy amounts of time, when man, there's so much better stuff to do with your time that you'll thank yourself for doing when you are 90, or else will flash before your eyes before you die at 35.

(With MCC and Halo 5 especially), I see SO MANY people thinking about the past and wanting to move backwards instead of moving forward and embracing change and the new experiences it brings. The worst thing is to live wishing for the past instead of being excited about the present and the future. The day I'd rather be in yesterday instead of tomorrow or today is the day my life would essentially be over.

I had some fun times, but those are behind and not coming back. Instead, different and better ones lie ahead.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 16:56 (3384 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

TBH, the only games I've ever been really good at have been driving simulators (Forza at the moment, Gran Turismo years ago), and I feel like I'm better at those now than when I was younger.

What's this? Spartans around the fire telling war stories?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 18:23 (3384 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Olly olly oxen free.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread