Thorn, and how it taught me to play Crucible (Destiny)

by Up North 65 @, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 20:02 (3384 days ago)

So I finally finished the Crucible portion of Thorn today. Overall it took somewhere between 15 to 20 games to finish. This was my second time rolling the bounty, the first time I gave up due to a craptastic K/D and no real experience in PvP. But over the past two weeks Mr. Banana has had his Circle of Slaughter Crucible Destructo-Fests and I slowly started learning. I still play par, sometimes sub par, with a K/D that floats between .8 on a bad slide up to 2 if I get teamed with a good team or a map that I can work with. So with my green void Nox Cantor and void Cure I set out on my journey. On the gun selection, I wasn't about to go buy a shotgun as I definitely can't play with those, and I didn't want to go buy yet another machine gun just for the bounty.

I definitely started slow, telling myself to just play one gamest a time, and depending on the outcome go again or drop out. It definitely was the right mindset as I pulled in a weak first game and finished with 13 points toward the gun. So instead of continuing and start sliding down the doubt slope I played one game using my usual load out and playing conservatively, just getting the PvE out and rebooting the PvP. It worked and I went positive which always makes me happy. This started a streak which took me all the way to the midpoint of the bounty. Then the slide happened. I didn't manage to lose any points thankfully but progress was really slow and the anger was affecting my play style.

Thats when I quit. No reason to continually beat your head against a wall when its completely detrimental. I went and looked at the pretty things in the game and shot some aliens in the head till I calmed down and felt comfortable. The second half of the bounty went smoothly, even if I went negative I managed enough kills to progress relatively quickly. I finished my second to last game at 479 out of 500 and then Blind Watch rolled. Now playing my way with a scout rifle I really like this map, but I never really played it inside at B. It started well, and then I started steam rolling. I finished with probably my best game ever and won't be a long while till I get another The Best...Around.

Some lessons learned for those plagued by the Crucible portions of the bounties:
- Take your time, both in game play and overall with the bounty itself. Anger leads to piss poor performances.

- On each map pick your home base. I really like Point A at Rusted Lands, I know the entrances really well and can maneuver inside it. You might not get the most points on your team but the bounties aren't abut points so hang back and be patient.

-Watch your radar. I don't know how many people got vaporized jumping through the windows at Delphi because I timed the charge with the radar.

-Pick your battles and recognize the limitations of your chosen weapons. Don't be cross-mapping with a fusion rifle.

-Dont be so focused on void kills you pass up an easy melee to finish him and get smoked in the process. Ya the kill doesn't count, but you don't lose 3 points as well.

So if you have given up on the bounty before and get it again, give'r a little time. Play some Crucible with others to pick up on different play styles. Go in with a mindset that you'll play till it starts going pear shaped and then back out and cool off a bit. I seriously did not think I could finish the bounty the first time I got it and had doubts going into this try but it paid off in the end.

Now I'm off to finish Xyor with my shiny new Black Hammer (thanks again Beorn) and get started on the Invective bounty that has been taking up a slot for a while.

TLDR: Take the bounty slow and don't skip the whole post just to read this:)

Thorn, and how it taught me to play Crucible

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 05:03 (3384 days ago) @ Up North 65

Good stuff.

There is a lot to be said for just playing patient and smart instead of trying to make every kill a void kill. The first time I got the bounty I didn't have a void primary and just used my rare void fusion rifle and swarm hmg. I think I had an easier time then than I did on my second bounty when I was trying to use Atheon's Epilogue the whole time.

by Durandal, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 07:57 (3384 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Play with friends it my big suggestion. the first time i did this bounty it was alone on a hunter with a void shotgun and MG. This made it quite difficult until I started playing to max my KD instead of trying to win the game.

The second time it was on a warlock with all void weapons, so as long as I managed a positive KD I would advance.

Either way, having friends in the crucible with you makes it a much less frustrating experience.

Also, nice bunny avatar on your Xbox account speed racer.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:08 (3384 days ago) @ Durandal

Also, nice bunny avatar on your Xbox account speed racer.

Bunny?! My kids must've hacked my account... I will look into that as soon as I get home!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:16 (3384 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah.

"Kids"

"hacked"

SURE THEY DID.

[image]

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:19 (3384 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I want to get in on this!
[image]
[image]
[image]

4 games, 212/500 Void Walker

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 07:25 (3384 days ago) @ Up North 65

Plug 1 and Corrective Measure

From my time, the most important thing in Destiny is just getting familiar with how the radar works on certain maps and estimating when people are coming around corners. Also to spend as little time as possible in wide open spaces, no matter how fun it feels to fly around.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:26 (3384 days ago) @ Up North 65

I've done the bounty a couple of times as a Titan and once as a Hunter.

The first time with Titan was tough, because I didn't even have the Defender class unlocked to at least give me a void melee and grenade chance.

The second time it was so easy as I had an Atheon's epilogue and a void crash shotty that I would wreck with, and a void rocket launcher. I had it done in about 5 games.

Recently though I just did it on my fiance's hunter and it was much different, and the first time I played hunter in crucible. On that one, she had a nice void HMG, but a crappy void fusion rifle.

Screw that, I hate fusion rifles.

I went to banshee and by chance, he was selling a green void shotgun, with 4 shells and a fast reload perk. I bought it, and by playing conservatively was able to get it in about 10 games with her hunter.

What helped the most, was simply playing the game as normal with her hand cannon, and then when Heavy ammo would spawn I'd whore the hell out of it. I would hold back with the HMG and go on a 10 kill streak almost everytime, just by not rushing into places (playing control helped quite a bit as well).

I had a game or two on a map I didn't like with a hunter I didn't know that set me back, so at that point I gave up on void kills and settled for just finishing the match in the positive. Then I'd go to town again.

It can be done, but taking breaks and bringing a friend or two can really help for sure.

Otherwise, I'd tell people to avoid the bounty until they have a couple of void weapons, preferably a HMG over rockets, and then play control with a spotter. Pick one territory that is always being fought over, or pick one and just defend it and you'll get far quickly.

by Dan de Board @, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 10:56 (3384 days ago) @ Up North 65

Doing this now. I'm using a fusion rifle for the first time in forever and after some initial growing pains I was melting faces.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread