Crota normal mode glitchtastic after patch? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:46 (3384 days ago)

My regular raid crew beat Ir'Yut for the first time last night (Gjallerhorn is hax), and on to Crota, who was easy for me in my previous attempts with other crews.

This time, however, his encounter behaved poorly. Several times the ogres would spawn after only one sword bearer. Other times, he would "melee" kill our sword bearer from extended range, without any animation (it just looked like our guy fell down, but it said on his screen he was killed by crota's attack). Several other times he would charge the room we were in, totally throwing the rhythm of the fight. Several other times, he'd decide to move just as the sword was picked up, screwing our attempts to get him down. He would also now melee our sword bearer after he had dropped the sword and turned invisible.

Then, aside from Crota, the sword bearer would sometimes run away from us and hide down where you start the Ir'Yut fight, making it nearly impossible to kill him, and then making the run with the sword crazy long.

We're all 31, and yet the best we were able to do was 3 attacks on him before the enrage timer hit because of these issues. We did that 2 or 3 times. I don't think we were doing anything wrong, but the fight felt unfair in a way that it had not the last two times I was there, and it wasn't like any of the fights I've seen vids of.

Then my friend who runs crota 3 times a week joined us when one of our normal crew D/C'd, and he freaked out the first time Crota charged us. "You're game is bugged out" he told us.

So yeah, pretty disappointing that the first time we get there, Crota decides to behave totally differently.

Crota normal mode glitchtastic after patch?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:01 (3384 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My regular raid crew beat Ir'Yut for the first time last night (Gjallerhorn is hax), and on to Crota, who was easy for me in my previous attempts with other crews.

This time, however, his encounter behaved poorly. Several times the ogres would spawn after only one sword bearer. Other times, he would "melee" kill our sword bearer from extended range, without any animation (it just looked like our guy fell down, but it said on his screen he was killed by crota's attack). Several other times he would charge the room we were in, totally throwing the rhythm of the fight. Several other times, he'd decide to move just as the sword was picked up, screwing our attempts to get him down. He would also now melee our sword bearer after he had dropped the sword and turned invisible.

Then, aside from Crota, the sword bearer would sometimes run away from us and hide down where you start the Ir'Yut fight, making it nearly impossible to kill him, and then making the run with the sword crazy long.

We're all 31, and yet the best we were able to do was 3 attacks on him before the enrage timer hit because of these issues. We did that 2 or 3 times. I don't think we were doing anything wrong, but the fight felt unfair in a way that it had not the last two times I was there, and it wasn't like any of the fights I've seen vids of.

Then my friend who runs crota 3 times a week joined us when one of our normal crew D/C'd, and he freaked out the first time Crota charged us. "You're game is bugged out" he told us.

So yeah, pretty disappointing that the first time we get there, Crota decides to behave totally differently.

We had a pretty tough time last night as well. I may have been the least experienced person, though, so I couldn't tell if anything unusual was happened. The more hardened vets seemed surprised more than once.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:05 (3384 days ago) @ Kermit

We had a pretty tough time last night as well. I may have been the least experienced person, though, so I couldn't tell if anything unusual was happened. The more hardened vets seemed surprised more than once.

I think it was Guardian who said that his group was also noticing Crota behaving differently as far as two days ago, but just yesterday I ran the raid three times with one of my groups, and we didn't notice a single thing amiss. I think the issue is that since they removed the starting swordbearer, the timing got a bit jilted from what people are used to...

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:35 (3384 days ago) @ Korny

I think it was Guardian who said that his group was also noticing Crota behaving differently as far as two days ago, but just yesterday I ran the raid three times with one of my groups, and we didn't notice a single thing amiss. I think the issue is that since they removed the starting swordbearer, the timing got a bit jilted from what people are used to...

Yeah, I have been having the feeling that the timing is a little sped up. Crota seems to move to the right a little quicker than he used to. Some of my teammates claim to not notice a change and they think that we're just not killing the first swordbearer as quick -- but I don't believe them. I don't think we're killing the swordbearer any slower (or at least not any more than a few seconds slower). I feel like before the patch it wasn't necessary to ever hit Crota when he wasn't in the middle - but now I feel like we have to go after him on the right side at least once to keep pace.

Timing is the same

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:43 (3384 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I've gotten in the habit of starting a timer for the Crota encounter. If you start it when the door below the Chalice opens, Crota moves on one-minute intervals. He'll start his move at 55 seconds and finish at 60 seconds on the minute. This is the same behavior we saw during the first couple of weeks that Crota was around.

Crota's timing maybe, but the swordbearers?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:55 (3384 days ago) @ Beorn

Because several times, Crota charged us before the second sword bearer would spawn.

Possibly?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 13:46 (3383 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Because several times, Crota charged us before the second sword bearer would spawn.

If I start the clock just when the door opens, Crota starts moving right at 0:55. The second Swordbearer generally appears around 1:35-1:40, and Crota starts running back to the middle at 1:55 (giving us approx 15-20 seconds to burn the Swordbearer for optimal timing).

Until the 1.1.0.3 patch last Monday, I hadn't been timing Crota until he started moving since we didn't have a specific, regular trigger for the clock. That changed with moving the first Swordbearer behind the door. Therefore, that first section may well be shortened by a few seconds, but I don't think it's a whole lot. From there on out, though, everything appears to be the same.

Timing is the same

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 10:00 (3384 days ago) @ Beorn

I've gotten in the habit of starting a timer for the Crota encounter. If you start it when the door below the Chalice opens, Crota moves on one-minute intervals. He'll start his move at 55 seconds and finish at 60 seconds on the minute. This is the same behavior we saw during the first couple of weeks that Crota was around.

I guess the question then is whether the timing of when you grab the chalice (or anything else) affects when that door opens, and whether the removal of that "first" swordbearer affected that door's opening time.

I know before the patch the swordbearer would always be standing right next to chalice at the beginning and he would usually follow me to the left-side stairs after I grabbed it. Now, when I run out and grab the chalice there is no swordbearer (until he comes out with the thralls a few seconds after that door opens).

It's highly possible that I am incorrect in my perception but I swear I have noticed a slight difference in the pacing pre- and post-patch.

Timing is the same

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 10:23 (3384 days ago) @ Speedracer513

It's not just you. Crota's timers might be the same but something about that encounter is definitely different lately. The first 2 times I ran it went very differently than my 3rd (and most recent) attempt, which was... Friday night, I think?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 10:35 (3384 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Some of my teammates claim to not notice a change and they think that we're just not killing the first swordbearer as quick -- but I don't believe them.

I'm almost positive that this is what was causing our problems during that 1 run last week. I've run the raid 4 times since then, and every time the group was way more efficient about taking down the swordbarer. He does still seem to rotate to the right a touch sooner. As Munky mentioned, I think its because of the change to the Swordbarer's arrival. He's not there at the very beginning of the encounter, so we need to wait longer to take him down, so Crota is further along his rotation schedule by the time we attack him.

The group Munky and I played with on Monday night made it a priority to crush the swordbarer the second he arrived on the first round. From then on, we had no problem staying on schedule. We actually got ahead of schedule a couple times.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 11:58 (3384 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I saw some of the same behaviour on my last run, last Friday. Note that this is after the "de-cheezing" patch but before the patch that enables Hard Mode for Crota's End.

-- Steve was a bit baffled by this at first, but the group managed to pull it off anyway after getting the new timing down.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 12:01 (3384 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

We're gonna try again tonight.

We also had a glitch where the sword would disappear when we tried to pick it up... That was an insta-wipe issue.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 13:38 (3383 days ago) @ Kahzgul

We also had a glitch where the sword would disappear when we tried to pick it up... That was an insta-wipe issue.

Yeah, this has happened a bunch of times on my raids the last two weeks. It still happened before, but not nearly this often.

Everything normal here

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 05:46 (3383 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Caveat: I still havent updated to 1.1.0.4 yet. It just refuses to download for me. Everyone else I was raiding with has, but its possible I was preventing glitches by having old software?

Everything normal here

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 08:56 (3383 days ago) @ someotherguy

Caveat: I still havent updated to 1.1.0.4 yet. It just refuses to download for me. Everyone else I was raiding with has, but its possible I was preventing glitches by having old software?

That is really weird. I didn't think you can actually play with others across versions. A few months ago my xbox didn't want to grab an update and everyone on my Friends list was a gray box (like they were playing a different game), and invites didn't work. Eventually a full reboot did the trick.

Everything normal here

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 09:33 (3383 days ago) @ Beorn

Yeah, I was worried I'd be unable to play, but everything seemed fine.

Unless it downloaded when I wasnt looking and Bungie forgot to update the version number with this patch?

WE GOT HIM!

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 08:48 (3383 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Had the sword disappear on us twice, had ogres after only one sword bearer once, and had Crota "melee" me once while he was still kneeling, but we beat him last night.

Still buggy as hell. I think he's giving Aetheon a run for his buggy money.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread