Streaming Destiny on Windows 10? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 13:42 (3394 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:01

I put that question mark in so no one got too excited reading the subject line, but this feature certainly seeds the ground for speculation.

Also of interest is that cross-play will be supported for some games. Fable Legends is all that is announced so far. I'd be interested, especially if Destiny on PC characters were the same as my Xbox characters. But where would that leave Playstation folks?

Anyway, time to start saving for that Mac Pro.

Streaming Destiny on Windows 10?

by petetheduck, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 13:45 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

I put that question mark in so no one got too excited reading the subject line, but this feature certainly seeds the ground for speculation.

Also of interest is that cross-play will be supported for some games. Fable Legends is all that is announced so far. I'd be interested, especially if Destiny on PC characters were the same as my Xbox characters. But where would leave Playstation folks?

Nice! Now PS4 will have nothing I want.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:14 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

i saw that, definitely interesting. though the press release said "streaming on your home network." guess if i want to play from work (during lunch of course), I would have to set up a VPN.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:45 (3394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

i saw that, definitely interesting. though the press release said "streaming on your home network." guess if i want to play from work (during lunch of course), I would have to set up a VPN.

Yeah, although I suspect the performance would not be acceptable. In theory it's probably possible to make something like that work, but MS will be building theirs assuming everyone has LAN-level bandwidth available.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:55 (3394 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah, although I suspect the performance would not be acceptable. In theory it's probably possible to make something like that work, but MS will be building theirs assuming everyone has LAN-level bandwidth available.

meh, acceptable enough to buy things from xur, or "kill x number of enemies with melee" or whatever. maybe i can farm glimmer and do some bounties/patrol at work, so that i have more time for raids/Halo in the evenings.

Microsoft doesn't get it

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:23 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

Why would you want to stream from an inferior console when you have a pc?

Microsoft doesn't get it

by petetheduck, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:35 (3394 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

You've been playing a lot of Destiny on PC lately, eh?

Microsoft doesn't get it

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 16:39 (3394 days ago) @ petetheduck

Neither will you with windows 10 streaming :^)

Microsoft doesn't get it

by petetheduck, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:41 (3394 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Neither will you with windows 10 streaming :^)

I don't know what I expected from this exchange.

Glad we both got to type words, I guess.

Microsoft gets it, actually.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 23, 2015, 06:01 (3394 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Same reason people got an Xbox One instead of a PS4: even if it's clearly inferior, familiarity tends to win the day.

Besides, it'll be a stream from your console onto a display, as "PC" doesn't automatically mean "Gaming rig". Theoretically, PC-via-VPN is just the starting point. I imagine an add-on will come at some point that's similar in how Playstation TV lets you apply it to any tv/display to play your PS4.

Fun stuff.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:06 (3394 days ago) @ Korny

"PC" doesn't automatically mean "Gaming rig".

That's the crux of it, really. Pretty much everyone has a PC at this point, but not everyone buys a gaming rig. And it's not just "normals." I'm quite capable of building a gaming rig, and I am an avid gamer, but my PC is based around nearly decade-old hardware because I just can't be bothered to change it.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:16 (3394 days ago) @ stabbim

That's the crux of it, really. Pretty much everyone has a PC at this point, but not everyone buys a gaming rig. And it's not just "normals." I'm quite capable of building a gaming rig, and I am an avid gamer, but my PC is based around nearly decade-old hardware because I just can't be bothered to change it.

Guilty.

I bought a new laptop not too long ago that technically is a gaming rig, however I'm using it more as a workstation and to dabble in design, more than fragging n00bs.

I think that on the surface, what they've announced is pretty neat. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how it is actually executed before we all "oooooh and ahhhhhh" over it.

One thing that immediately came to my mind though, is I feel 100% certain and assured in saying that Theater mode, as we love and know it from Halo Reach, will never be in Destiny, much less any other games, at this point.

Between these new streaming options and services like twitch, I just can't see an incentive for dev's to spend time\money developing the feature anymore.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:24 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Guilty.

I bought a new laptop not too long ago that technically is a gaming rig, however I'm using it more as a workstation and to dabble in design, more than fragging n00bs.

I think that on the surface, what they've announced is pretty neat. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how it is actually executed before we all "oooooh and ahhhhhh" over it.

One thing that immediately came to my mind though, is I feel 100% certain and assured in saying that Theater mode, as we love and know it from Halo Reach, will never be in Destiny, much less any other games, at this point.

Between these new streaming options and services like twitch, I just can't see an incentive for dev's to spend time\money developing the feature anymore.

I dunno. Sony's been developing the Camera mode for many titles, even multi-platform ones. Heck, just recently they applied an oft-requested feature to The Last of Us (and I imagine to Infamous as well) where you can remove the game world's characters to take pictures of the scenery. I think this is the foundation for a more "traditional" theater mode. The demand is high, and they could even charge for the feature. I'd help crowd-fun this development.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:30 (3394 days ago) @ Korny

Guilty.

I dunno. Sony's been developing the Camera mode for many titles, even multi-platform ones. Heck, just recently they applied an oft-requested feature to The Last of Us (and I imagine to Infamous as well) where you can remove the game world's characters to take pictures of the scenery. I think this is the foundation for a more "traditional" theater mode. The demand is high, and they could even charge for the feature. I'd help crowd-fun this development.

I'm definitely referring to detached camera and replay mode, where more....strategic filming and perspective options are available, as opposed to only the in game camera experience by the player.

For streamers, all this stuff is a boon, for sure. But for more (struggles to find word) artistic footage or machinama if feels like 2002 again with RvB and trying to cut out HUD clutter and getting creative with the player camera.

Granted, where there is will, there is a way, but it feels like a step backward for just about everyone outside of FPS montages, if that makes sense.

Then again, Bungie is pretty good about spoiling their players, and putting in cool shit because fuck standards, COOL SHIT. We'll see, but I'm not hoping anymore.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:36 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Guilty.

I'm definitely referring to detached camera and replay mode, where more....strategic filming and perspective options are available, as opposed to only the in game camera experience by the player.

For streamers, all this stuff is a boon, for sure. But for more (struggles to find word) artistic footage or machinama if feels like 2002 again with RvB and trying to cut out HUD clutter and getting creative with the player camera.

Granted, where there is will, there is a way, but it feels like a step backward for just about everyone outside of FPS montages, if that makes sense.

Then again, Bungie is pretty good about spoiling their players, and putting in cool shit because fuck standards, COOL SHIT. We'll see, but I'm not hoping anymore.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The old pause-replay-and-pan-around stuff. Treyarch was developing their own extensive theater mode that was in as recent as Black Ops 2. This year is their CoD release, so we'll see if the feature really has lost support, or if some devs are still working on their own. Either way, as I said, Sony's tool is slowly evolving and growing, and paired with their in-house SHAREfactory, I don't think we've seen the last of a theater mode. There's just too much that could benefit from it being developed.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 23, 2015, 09:42 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I continue to hope.

Montages have suffered without theatre too

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, January 23, 2015, 11:52 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Some of the best montages I ever saw were Halo 3 ones that made extensive use of the theatre.

I remember one that was all about sniper ricochet kills. The footage made zero sense in first person but, break the camera out to 3rd person and follow the trails, do some stop-time pans, and it was incredible.

Montages have suffered without theatre too

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, January 23, 2015, 11:58 (3394 days ago) @ RC

Some of the best montages I ever saw were Halo 3 ones that made extensive use of the theatre.

I remember one that was all about sniper ricochet kills. The footage made zero sense in first person but, break the camera out to 3rd person and follow the trails, do some stop-time pans, and it was incredible.

Oh yeah, I'm just being a bit general and perhaps a little vague....oh god.

No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*ahem*

For the "watch me play" and live streams, this stuff is really cool. It also bodes well for the ultra competitive and e-sport crowd. The ability to detach the camera simply adds more options and often times, a more professional look.

Wait, what about Windows 9?

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:47 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

No 9. They jumped right to 10. Because reasons.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:51 (3394 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

Xbox One.. Microsoft isn't that good with numbers.

by petetheduck, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:53 (3394 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

- No text -

I lol'd

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:59 (3394 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

IRS should audit these guys

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 16:39 (3394 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

95/98 legacy code

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 14:59 (3394 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I call bull

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:08 (3394 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

It makes more of a marketing splash to create a number that people aren't expecting. As petetheduck pointed out, it's the same story with Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

I call bull

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:41 (3394 days ago) @ Beorn

If that was the intent, wouldn't they have gone with Windows One instead to align it with the rest of their stuff?

-- Steve's heard non 'Softies say the "9X" thing is legit.

They're sick of being behind Mac OS in version number.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:12 (3394 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

The first SP will be Windows 10.11

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:14 (3394 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

waiting for Windows Infinity

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 17:28 (3394 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 22, 2015, 18:31 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

Also of interest is that cross-play will be supported for some games. Fable Legends is all that is announced so far. I'd be interested, especially if Destiny on PC characters were the same as my Xbox characters. But where would that leave Playstation folks?

Get an old one. Cheaper, and it'll handle video just fine. Mine was made in 2008, and it's been streaming and encoding 1080p60 video on the fly at an event all week. Unless you plan to capture and stream 4K, you don't need a new one :-p

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, January 23, 2015, 07:36 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

All I want to know is whether we can stream in the background while another app is full screen. The feature would have very limited use for me unless that is how it works.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread