Frontpage (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 15:14 (3382 days ago)

I know Levi is doing what he can, but right now it is just an extra click.

In the interest of efficiency.......

I think you guys know where I'm going with this.

Frontpage

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 16:59 (3382 days ago) @ petetheduck

The front (?back) page serves some nice purposes, so I don't see Claude 'euthanizing' it any time soon. It's a distilled list of the key moments in Destiny news. Also, when we post it gets announced on the Twitter feed, so that's a useful vector to the site for many folks.

That said, we do need to be better about posting news. I try to jump in when I can, but I often myself on accidental hiatus.

Frontpage

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 17:13 (3382 days ago) @ Beorn

The front (?back) page serves some nice purposes, so I don't see Claude 'euthanizing' it any time soon. It's a distilled list of the key moments in Destiny news. Also, when we post it gets announced on the Twitter feed, so that's a useful vector to the site for many folks.

That said, we do need to be better about posting news. I try to jump in when I can, but I often myself on accidental hiatus.

Twitter and the Frontpage are the only thing I can see at work, so it's nice in that regard.

It's weird; I can browse all over HBO (on my lunch break, of course), but trying to click on the DBO forums (or any link that goes to a forum thread) gives me a massive error screen. I don't remember what it says (I'm at home now), but I can screenshot it on Monday if any of the admins are interested.

Frontpage

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 17:54 (3382 days ago) @ Mid7night

Twitter and the Frontpage are the only thing I can see at work, so it's nice in that regard.

It's weird; I can browse all over HBO (on my lunch break, of course), but trying to click on the DBO forums (or any link that goes to a forum thread) gives me a massive error screen. I don't remember what it says (I'm at home now), but I can screenshot it on Monday if any of the admins are interested.

Definitely interested.

Frontpage

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 19:54 (3382 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Definitely interested.

Noted. I'll send you some info.

Frontpage

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 23:51 (3382 days ago) @ Beorn

I notice large gaps of news here and on HBO, which is sad because stuff like this deserves to be posted, and other stuff, like this doesn't make it into the "Creations" section, if nowhere else, but some stuff is simply not communicated, so it gets missed. It's a bit worse on HBO (No update since a couple of posts on Thursday), but that might just be because we're more used to daily news there and some big stuff gets missed (especially with the Beta Update stuff). I feel like the non-forum elements should be a bit more relevant.

Heck, I could help out, if the situation gets desperate enough...

Frontpage

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 08:51 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

If you ever see cool stuff that isn't on the front page, you can use the Submit News feature linked on the frontpage and stickied at the top of the threads here (or shoot a quick email to DBO). The Submit function was really helpful for a while but then submissions dropped off a couple of months ago.

Rampancy's Let's Play videos always show up because he shoots a quick message at us, for example.

Frontpage

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 08:40 (3382 days ago) @ petetheduck

:(

There's folks who hit the front page who don't ever venture into the forums, so that doesn't work for everyone, but if you really don't like the front page, why not just bookmark the forum instead?

I know I'm not up with everything, but I've tried to keep the page alive these last few months, especially for those who don't operate at the high speed of the forum or don't want to dig through curse-laden rants to get the big news. I did have some life events occur earlier this month that disrupted my ability to post for a bit but things are getting back to normal I think.

But if enough people are actively bothered by the frontpage... :/

Frontpage

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:18 (3382 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm not. Chances are the forum has already gotten to it first. As I told Claude a while ago, I don't even read anything on the front page here and always click right to the forums.

Frontpage

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:33 (3382 days ago) @ Leviathan

[snip…]

Before you get too worried, here's just one person's perspective: I have never understood what any of this thread is about the whole time.

Frontpage

by petetheduck, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:44 (3382 days ago) @ Vortech

[snip…]

Before you get too worried, here's just one person's perspective: I have never understood what any of this thread is about the whole time.

A joke that everyone took seriously.

Frontpage

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 19:53 (3381 days ago) @ petetheduck

A joke that everyone took seriously.

You should, uh...make it more..."jokey" next time then instead of bumming me out for a while. :)

Including a duck saying it would have helped. ;)

Frontpage

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 17:34 (3381 days ago) @ Leviathan

There's folks who hit the front page who don't ever venture into the forums, so that doesn't work for everyone, but if you really don't like the front page, why not just bookmark the forum instead?

I kind of wish that the front page news items were simply special forum posts so we could click through on a news item to discuss it. I doubt that would be easy to do though.

Frontpage

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 20:02 (3381 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I kind of wish that the front page news items were simply special forum posts so we could click through on a news item to discuss it. I doubt that would be easy to do though.

That… is an interesting thought. Like Cody said, though, the forum usually gets to the news first, and we link to the forum when that happens.

Frontpage

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 20:59 (3381 days ago) @ Beorn

That… is an interesting thought. Like Cody said, though, the forum usually gets to the news first, and we link to the forum when that happens.

What if there was some sort of toggle box that generates the thread if we click it (when we know we got the news elsewhere)...?

Frontpage

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 20:05 (3381 days ago) @ Leviathan

Hope everything is okay. :-/

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread