Luke Smith on mistakes made in TDB and improvements with HoW (Destiny)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 17:25 (3382 days ago)

Luke Smith on mistakes made in TDB and improvements with HoW

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 18:27 (3382 days ago) @ bluerunner

I wonder if there is an internal battle going on with regards to the grind. It seems like Bungie wants to make sure you always have something to work towards, but they can't quite find the balance where it doesn't stray into grind territory.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 18:41 (3382 days ago) @ bluerunner

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148984121#post148984121

I like what I see here.

I couldn't help but think how awesome the Weekly Update would have been with this info. Not that I didn't enjoy it this week, but I miss stuff like this.

- CC

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 18:46 (3382 days ago) @ bluerunner

I like what I see here.

This is the best thing I've read all day... Nay - all week!

Nay, all YEAR!!

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 19:52 (3382 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I like what I see here.

This is the best thing I've read all day... Nay - all week!

...which is basically just a month now, but "all year" sounds better than "all month". ;)

And yeah, that was some nice insight and salve from Mr. Smith.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 22:41 (3382 days ago) @ bluerunner

"The part where this didn't work as well as we'd hoped is with the Shard economy. Shards are a are a barrier between you and equipping a sweet new piece of gear. "

Wow. No fucking shit. That's the entire point of requiring shards to upgrade your armor in the first place. Are they morons in not seeing that it would slow people down?

Every time Bungie says something I'm more and more convinced that all the real talent is gone.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 24, 2015, 23:48 (3382 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"The part where this didn't work as well as we'd hoped is with the Shard economy. Shards are a are a barrier between you and equipping a sweet new piece of gear. "

Wow. No fucking shit. That's the entire point of requiring shards to upgrade your armor in the first place. Are they morons in not seeing that it would slow people down?

Every time Bungie says something I'm more and more convinced that all the real talent is gone.

Unnecessary cursing? Check. Entirely negative point of view? Check. Boatloads of hyperbole? Check. Entirely what I expected before I clicked your post? Check. You're so predictable it's almost funny.

P.S. At least you have a Red Death to level...AGAIN. :/

by Kahzgul, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 01:36 (3382 days ago) @ Ragashingo

He's right though - The blunders of Destiny are things that anyone who'd ever made a video game before should have known to avoid. The game looks like a first attempt at what ultimately became Halo, rather than the first new IP for Bungie after Halo: Reach. The core play is great, but the design around that gameplay is just awful on tons of levels. The entire investment game is abusive to the player, the random rolls are abusive to the player, the fact that raid gear is the best gear for PvP is abusive to the player, the way all 3 characters on your account interact, the tower storage, the terrible VO, the incoherent and out of order plot that goes nowhere, the incredibly limited amount of "exploration" possible in the game maps... It's all stuff that Bungie should have known better than to implement in the way that they implemented it. 50 different currencies? Not enough inventory space to hold it all? The many exotics that are basically garbage? Being unable to go straight to the tower from anywhere that isn't orbit? The Cryptarch? It's all so very disappointing.

Now, it's not all bad: Character progression: Nailed it. Art team: Nailed it. Sound design: Nailed it. Core gameplay, super duper nailed it. Raid encounter design: Nailed it (caveat: buggy as hell and way too easy to cheese).

But if I didn't just list your department at Bungie, you failed on some pretty basic game design 101 issues.

No matter how good House of Wolves is, it won't fix Destiny short of providing a complete and total overhaul, and I suspect we won't see that until Destiny 2 at the earliest. Right now, Destiny is the only next gen game that scratches the Halo itch, but that circumstance won't last, and I doubt Destiny holds up to the next one.

RPGs are all about barriers

by Durandal, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 06:27 (3382 days ago) @ Kahzgul

And barriers to play are the one area Bungie does not have experience with.

Pathways into Darkness was the only game Bungie did prior to Destiny with a real progression system, and it wasn't a multiplayer psudo MMO. The areas that Bungie has lots of experience with, gameplay, art, sound, and background are all there in spades. But I don't think Bungie has had much corporate experience with level grinding and in game economies. All the Halo games had were slow grinds to cosmetic changes that never impacted gameplay. 343 brings out Halo4 and implemented a pretty atrocious grind system to get all the perks and armor. CoD also has a pretty annoying grind factor, compounded by their belief that once you reach the finish line the first thing you want to do is start over wearing a different shirt.

I have no explanation for Bungie's poor story implementation. I thought they did that well during the Halo and Marathon games. If anything, Destiny reminds me of the first Marathon game, where you really didn't interact much other then some terminals here or there, which are similar to the load screen voiceovers in Destiny.

The point is Bungie as a corporate entity did not have experience with leveling systems and leveling economies. They brought in some talent to create those systems, but talent alone won't always work. Bungie is getting some hard earned experience now, and it heartens me that they recognize it and are using it.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 07:26 (3382 days ago) @ Durandal

I don't know man, anyone who's played video games before should have been able to see most of the problems coming a mile away, much less people who are supposed to be some of the most talented game designers in the world.

I don't know what the problem is exactly, maybe its structural, maybe it's hubris, believing they could do things their own way without learning from all the games that came before them, maybe whatever overhaul in the game that came a year from release threw everything into disarray and they're just scrambling to get things right again. I don't know.

I suspect a big part of what's going on though is their attempt to compensate for the low level of content. By throwing in as many grind elements as possible it gives people a reason to keep playing the game (they need to keep as many people as possible playing and interested in the game in order to sell the DLC). If Destiny didn't have the grind elements that it has, people would finish the game in 15 hours and wonder what the fuck else all is there to do? However I think they definitely overdid it and are struggling to find that balance.

Ultimately it looks like financially they're in the clear, so they have time to try and figure this stuff out. Hopefully Destiny 2 will be heavier on the content, lighter on the grind.

by Durandal, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:36 (3381 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Improper benchmarking happens. I've seen it in my own, largish company and that has been in business for far longer then Bungie.

All it takes is a lack of clear direction, or a change in direction from the top or technical issues late in development. It is one thing to play a game and say "I don't like x". You don't know why x is there, what compromises, errors or technical limitations led to x being implemented the way it was.

Look at the Elevators from Mass Effect 1. They initially had planned on them only being a handful of seconds, but as the game progressed they needed to make the time longer and longer to cover for the technical issues until you were picking all female members of your team just so you had something interesting to look at while waiting.

The pistol's evolution through the Halo series is another example. They buffed it at the last second in 1, and it was a sign of a skilled player. In 2 it got nerfed and everyone hated it, and in 3, ODST and Reach they changed it back to a more damaging, solid design.

And I'm sure everyone remembers all the complaints about running missions backwards in Halo 1 with the addition of flood enemies.

Even COD and Gears of War had their issues, and they both had the benefit of benchmarking the Halo series prior to their own releases. Heck, at this point I think COD keeps all the quickscoping and knifing garbage just because they have a large subset of players who think that they are skilled when they do it.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 15:01 (3381 days ago) @ Durandal

Nifty, I'd love to talk more about the internal workings of your largeish company. I'm so curious about the actual process of making the games, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during the meetings some of those companies have.

The journalist in me is ever curious.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 13:36 (3381 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I don't know man, anyone who's played video games before should have been able to see most of the problems coming a mile away [...]

I don't disagree with the complaints, but there is a huge difference between seeing a problem coming, and...
1: knowing what to do about it,
2: Having the resources and time to do it.

I'm actually pretty pessimistic right now about how much more time I'm going to spend engaging with Destiny in the way I'm 'supposed' to. I've actually only played once since the new year and felt like I wasted my time doing the Nightfall and bounties.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 13:43 (3381 days ago) @ RC

I don't know man, anyone who's played video games before should have been able to see most of the problems coming a mile away [...]

I don't disagree with the complaints, but there is a huge difference between seeing a problem coming, and...
1: knowing what to do about it,
2: Having the resources and time to do it.

Bungie has all the resources they need. They have hundreds of millions of dollars. The solutions come from games with a fraction of Destiny's budget.

Time is probably the resource they didn't have, but even then they chose to have Activision a part of their process by signing with them.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:18 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie has all the resources they need. They have hundreds of millions of dollars. The solutions come from games with a fraction of Destiny's budget.

Time is probably the resource they didn't have, but even then they chose to have Activision a part of their process by signing with them.

Not sure what you're trying to say with that comment. I believe Bungie would have chosen the best partner they could get.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 08:42 (3382 days ago) @ Durandal

The point is Bungie as a corporate entity did not have experience with leveling systems and leveling economies.

1. I am 100% sure at least one person in Bungie has played a game before that had a leveling or progression system. So while they may not have designed one before, they should know what works and what doesn't.

2. Thinking for two seconds would have shown tons of this stuff to be bad ideas. Nearly everything I have said prior to the game's release has come true.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive35.pl?read=1039755

FIVE YEARS AGO I saw this coming. I saw coming the results of using light to level your character. I saw coming the results of the post level 20 grind. I saw coming the results of lack of content and repetition. Search the forum. A great deal of what I said would happen based on their design choices has happened.

How could I see it, when I didn't even have access to the game? How could I see it even before the game was announced? Because I know video games, and I have a brain.

So the question is why didn't Bungie see it? Why did Luke or nobody else not see that shards are a barrier to equipping weapons? Ha! Their entire purpose, literally their ONLY purpose, is to make leveling up the armor take longer, and to get in your way of doing so.

Barriers are fine, if the barriers are challenging and fun to overcome.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 09:07 (3382 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lack of content. They needed a time sink to keep people playing. I think whatever redesign hit in the year before release really fucked up their plans, and this was their way of giving people something to do in the meantime.

Speculative of course, but that's my best guess. Maybe there were people there who really thought that was the way to go.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 10:39 (3382 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Lack of content. They needed a time sink to keep people playing. I think whatever redesign hit in the year before release really fucked up their plans, and this was their way of giving people something to do in the meantime.

Speculative of course, but that's my best guess. Maybe there were people there who really thought that was the way to go.

But that's the thing. It all stems from being an MMO. There's no way to keep producing new content at the rate people play it in a financially viable way. It takes way longer to make stuff than it takes people to play it. That means having people log in everyday and playing your game is a terrible goal, since they will necessarily be playing stretched, repeated, or grindy content. This is why on their face at the very core, MMO games are terrible, unless perhaps there is a large way for players to themselves create content.

FPS content is hard to make. Bungie would have been wise to recognize this, and instead make Destiny an FPS with strong co-op elements. And when you beat it? You beat it and move on instead of having your time wasted. You know, like a certain other classic game they made that influenced every console FPS game out today.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 10:48 (3382 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If Destiny had been designed like an MMO rather than like an FPS, it would have been way better. Large open world instead of completely linear pathing? Or take the world of a game like Skyrim or GTA and make it an FPS with Bungie gameplay. AWESOME. Instead we got Destiny. Patrol mode is the closest thing to what we were promised, but since the areas you can patrol are all basically giant loops with only one defined starting point each, it's not as "open" and "explorable" as we were told.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 10:41 (3382 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

But they could easily have made the game feel like it had scads more content by changing the order in which missions unlocked, driving the player through the main story (which would be finished level 12-ish) before unlocking the side missions and strikes. Suddenly the gamespace doubles, and the missions would have felt like revisiting old friends rather than literally exploring the same space two missions in a row.

And the strikes could have random enemy factions, or sometimes different bosses, or even events that are chosen from a list rather than always being the exact same thing.

There could have been single player and 3-player experiences with the same level of challenge as the VoG.

The content gates could have been what we expected after playing beta: That the level 20 monsters were the gateways to whole new areas rather than guardians of tiny little caves. Barring a door with a "your gear must be X level to enter" is lame and boring. Barring it with a badass monster is fun. When you can finally kill that monster, you feel awesome.

So much of this game design feels like amateur hour. Bungie claims to make games they want to play. Is Door-Guarding-Simulator their favorite game of all time?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 10:44 (3382 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So much of this game design feels like amateur hour. Bungie claims to make games they want to play. Is Door-Guarding-Simulator their favorite game of all time?

I honestly believe this was the result of the rumored game revamp in fall of 2013. There is no way that given all the time they need, Bungie would voluntarily offer so little in the way of mission variety, creativity, and narrative. Well, the old Bungie anyway.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 10:55 (3382 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's my theory all the way. They designed the game like an MMO, but then somehow failed to deliver anything close to MMO content. Who knows what the revamp entailed, but I've had the STRONG sense from playing the game and the concept/content reveals leading up to release that their was originally a LOT more content planned, and probably was fairly far along in production.

Then the revamp hit and they had to scramble to get what we have now in playable shape...

Destiny was such an incredible concept, I wonder what went down during production to lead to what we have.

Also, since we're pointing out things that we called before release, I had said about 6 months before release that it felt like the one thing that differentiated Destiny at that point was the raids, and that was probably going to make the difference. I'm not going to go dig up the posts, but... I was right :p.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:00 (3382 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Also, since we're pointing out things that we called before release, I had said about 6 months before release that it felt like the one thing that differentiated Destiny at that point was the raids, and that was probably going to make the difference. I'm not going to go dig up the posts, but... I was right :p.

I am seeing a lot of negative reactions to Crota Hard Mode. I haven't played it myself, so I have no idea if people are being stupid, or if hard mode is hard in all the wrong ways. I guess I'll see tonight.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:30 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On the whole though, I think you would admit yourself that the most worthwhile thing in the game is the raids. I think a lot of the complaints about the raids have to do with the bugs and ways you can cheese the encounters, rather than the overall quality of the experience.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 13:39 (3381 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

On the whole though, I think you would admit yourself that the most worthwhile thing in the game is the raids. I think a lot of the complaints about the raids have to do with the bugs and ways you can cheese the encounters, rather than the overall quality of the experience.

Oh absolutely. The raids are mad fun. I simply wish that the strikes and mission displayed the kind of creativity you see at work in the raids. They don't have to be as hard or teamwork heavy necessarily, but mixing it up is never bad.

by Kahzgul, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:46 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I 100% agree with this statement. I wish the strikes and campaign had 1/10 the creativity and challenge of the raid encounters.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 17:36 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

FIVE YEARS AGO I saw this coming. I saw coming the results of using light to level your character. I saw coming the results of the post level 20 grind. I saw coming the results of lack of content and repetition. Search the forum. A great deal of what I said would happen based on their design choices has happened.

How could I see it, when I didn't even have access to the game? How could I see it even before the game was announced? Because I know video games, and I have a brain.

How could a person like you have predicted the existence of people like you?

I have no idea! It must be space magic.

Frankly I think Bungie is caving too easily, especially on the issue of upgrading exotics. What's the solution there-- here's an update for your gun, now it does more damage to keep pace with the game.

Thanks, I guess? If the game is going to reward people for not playing it then I suppose that's what they'll do, but heck, at least they won't have to complain about it, I guess.

Win-win?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 18:16 (3381 days ago) @ narcogen

Frankly I think Bungie is caving too easily, especially on the issue of upgrading exotics. What's the solution there-- here's an update for your gun, now it does more damage to keep pace with the game.

Thanks, I guess? If the game is going to reward people for not playing it then I suppose that's what they'll do, but heck, at least they won't have to complain about it, I guess.

No. The solution is to ADD DAMAGE UPGRADE NODES ONTO EXISTING EXOTICS. That way, you upgrade your three new nodes and have it maxed, without ruining the work you did previously. New exotics found look the way they do now. If anything, it would be a talking point when 10 years down the line, your Hawkmoon has a bazillion upgrade orbs, proving you had it since day 1. You know, the plan they originally had for showing off with your weapons.

So simple even a caveman could do it.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, January 26, 2015, 00:10 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They mentioned the perks resetting being a mistake; presumably they're going to do what you just said, or just reset the last three nodes.

Pretty sure all those "mistakes" were intentional...

by Monochron, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 09:26 (3382 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I understand why Luke would want to present it like a mistake or oversight, but the slowing of progress and preventing people from equiping equipment was exactly what the Shard economy change and vendor gear jump was intended to do.

While I'm always really happy to see developers own up to doing the wrong thing, I really wish we could get a little more honesty about their intentions. Maybe I shouldn't be so critical though, because responses to the community like this is exactly what I have been wishing Bungie would increase. This clues us in as to the rest of the direction of the game.

No way those were mistakes

by scarab @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:10 (3382 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:28 (3382 days ago) @ Monochron

I don't know why you don't think a plan you later regret should not be called a mistake.

by scarab @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:47 (3381 days ago) @ Vortech

I don't know why you don't think a plan you later regret should not be called a mistake.

Luke said that it was NOT planned.

This is what Luke said:

On CE drop rates vs. VOG:
The Forever 29 meme was a killer for us.

We sat down and talked about the rewards for VoG and the rates vs. CE and ended up with the following:
increase drop rates globally in CE: we wanted dedicated players to be around 32 or real close by the time Hard mode came out.
increase the variability of perks that a given piece can roll.
the goal here: players would reach 32 easier than 30, but would have more customization and options to build the perfect set (in terms of stats, perks, weapon affinities)
The part where this didn't work as well as we'd hoped is with the Shard economy. Shards are a are a barrier between you and equipping a sweet new piece of gear.

We want fewer barriers to equipping upgrades. The shard economies erect these barriers between players and the new piece of gear they just got.

They didn't plan to impose a barrier and then came to regret that plan.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:19 (3381 days ago) @ scarab

This is what Luke said:

We sat down and talked about the rewards for VoG and the rates vs. CE and ended up with the following:
increase drop rates globally in CE: we wanted dedicated players to be around 32 or real close by the time Hard mode came out.
the goal here: players would reach 32 easier than 30, but would have more customization and options to build the perfect set (in terms of stats, perks, weapon affinities)
The part where this didn't work as well as we'd hoped is with the Shard economy. Shards are a are a barrier between you and equipping a sweet new piece of gear.

We want fewer barriers to equipping upgrades. The shard economies erect these barriers between players and the new piece of gear they just got.

Um, so, a mistake? They clearly regret it and want to change it. That's the important thing. Would you prefer Luke rend his clothing and scream at the sky in sorrow? ;)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:28 (3381 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Would you prefer Luke rend his clothing and scream at the sky in sorrow? ;)

I would. It'd be a lot funnier. ;p

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 05:26 (3381 days ago) @ ZackDark

Would you prefer Luke rend his clothing and scream at the sky in sorrow? ;)

I would. It'd be a lot funnier. ;p

That's the spirit.

Don't put words in my mouth

by scarab @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:00 (3381 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

A suggestion was made that the shards business was intentional.

I pointed out that this wasn't true and I provided evidence to show that it wasn't.

Why are you trying to make out that I was being overly dramatic?

Or did I just miss a joke?

Don't put words in my mouth

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 05:26 (3381 days ago) @ scarab

A suggestion was made that the shards business was intentional.

I pointed out that this wasn't true and I provided evidence to show that it wasn't.

Why are you trying to make out that I was being overly dramatic?

Or did I just miss a joke?

Yeah, a bit lost in translation. My bad!

No problem :-)

by scarab @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:58 (3381 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:30 (3381 days ago) @ scarab

Well, that's exactly how I read that. Or, I guess I should say I read that as them saying they planned to impose a barrier and then came to regret the specifics of the plan that they chose because it had an effect in reality that was different than they wanted in form or in volume. But then, the crazy length of that sentence is why people don't talk like me and instead say "we made a mistake".

I still can't tell whether we're disagreeing about what he meant or if we disagree about the vocabulary being used.

by scarab @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:27 (3381 days ago) @ Vortech

Let's go back to your original post to see if we are on the same page.

You said:

I took that to mean that you thought that Bungie had made a plan that they later regretted.

I also inferred that the plan that you meant was a plan to use shards to gate progress.

How I understood your sentence was, to paraphrase, "I don't know why you don't think a plan [to gate progress with shards] you later regret should not be called a mistake."

My reply was to point out that it was not Bungie's plan to gate progress via shards. I then presented the evidence to demonstrate that it wasn't Bungie's plan.

I'd like to do that again and highlight those parts that indicate their intent.

They wanted to increase drop rates globally and have dedicated players real close to 32 by the time hard mode came out.

Luke mentions that forever 29 was a killer for them and he never mentions any worries about people getting to 32 too soon. Nor does he say that the shards were a failed attempt at gating or that he regrets gating. There is no mention of gating.

He definitely did not say anything like. "We decided to implement a shard economy to gate progress." "and now we regret that decision."

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 13:41 (3381 days ago) @ scarab

But you have testers and math. Use them both. What is the drop rate for shards? How many times can you run the raid per week? What is the drop rate for armor? Do the math, and you've just figured out how long people will be stuck for.

It's not rocket science.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 17:38 (3381 days ago) @ Vortech

Because that's well within the definition of the word?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mistake

Smith is not saying "oops, we didn't mean to make you relevel the exotics", they're saying they thought it would be a good idea and that people would not mind doing it.

Frankly, they are right-- some people (myself included) did not mind at all, but the nature of the experience they are creating I think is leading to a bad feedback loop where the edge cases complain loudly and demand the retraction of changes that weren't really mistakes.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 18:03 (3381 days ago) @ narcogen

Because that's well within the definition of the word?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mistake

I think, perhaps, the triple negative is confusing everyone - including myself - about what I said there. I literally now find myself unsure of what point any person not me is trying to make and whether I agree or disagree with them. I'm equally sure it's not important enought to straighten out.

Just to prove I know what the word means, I'll use it in a sentence.

It was a mistake for me to get involved in this thread and I now regret it. ;)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 19:46 (3381 days ago) @ Vortech

I think, perhaps, the triple negative is confusing everyone - including myself - about what I said there. I literally now find myself unsure of what point any person not me is trying to make and whether I agree or disagree with them. I'm equally sure it's not important enought to straighten out.

Thank you for making me laugh aloud. :) I too feel like people are not having the same conversation with each other here, hah. All I've gotten for sure is material for a meme: "Bungie makes decisions; makes fans angry. Bungie acknowledges errors; makes fans angry." ;)

too complicated, the meme is: bungie fans are angry

by scarab @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 22:58 (3381 days ago) @ Leviathan

Angry that sucky decisions were made and angry because it was obvious that the decisions were bad, even before they were implemented.

We are left wondering: can anybody be that incompetent? Or are they just pretending that those decisions were accidents. "We honestly didn't know that people would be pissed off by more grinding."

But time will tell. We shall see what they do next and,also, what happens in the first six months of destiny two.

A bit strong don't you think?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 10:34 (3380 days ago) @ scarab

If they were incompetent I don't think they would have sold so many copies. Just sayin...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:07 (3381 days ago) @ Leviathan

Thank you for making me laugh aloud. :) I too feel like people are not having the same conversation with each other here, hah. All I've gotten for sure is material for a meme: "Bungie makes decisions; makes fans angry. Bungie acknowledges errors; makes fans angry." ;)

This is about where I REALLY start to miss the old Bungie Podcast, where we'd get to hear Bungie talk in-depth about some of their decisions and thought process.

The problem, as I see it, is that we have Luke Smith coming out and making what is a perfectly reasonable statement if taken on it's own.

"We did some stuff, and we're not happy with how it turned out. Won't make that mistake again".

Where it gets tricky (and where I think some of us get frustrated) is when we start trying to understand why Bungie created these systems in the first place. Put another way:

"what did Bungie think would happen when they added Radiant materials?"

This is a point of frustration because to some of us, there is only 1 possible reason for them to exist: to slow/gate progression. So when a Bungie employee comes out saying "we didn't mean to slow progression, it didn't work out the way we wanted", it's confusing.

I love it when guys like Smith reach out and share some insight with us, I just wish we could be given a more complete picture.

As far as House of Wolves goes, I'm afraid my pessimistic side kicks in a little bit. Let's look at Destiny's progression system. In the early game, upgrading armor is gated by materials (harmonic essences, plasteel plating, wire). By the time we climbed up to the mid 20s, we all had so much of this stuff that it had lost all value. I've got somewhere around 2500 harmonic essences in my vault right now.

So Bungie felt like they needed to add another currency to keep our progression slow. Ascendant materials come into play, giving us another (rarer) currency to grind for. But once again, the grind is drawn out so long that we acquire these materials faster than we acquire new ways to level up. I've now got about 150 pieces of ascendant energy, and that number continues to climb every week.

So once again, Bungie makes the same decision. "We don't want people to use ascendant materials to hit 32, because people have too much of it already. They'll hit 32 too fast". So they add ANOTHER currency.

This is where I get a bit frustrated by the claim that Radiant materials didn't work the way they'd hoped. They are another level of the exact same system of escalating currencies that has been in place since day 1. There should be zero surprises about how they turned out.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:24 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It might be that they're not addressing that problem at all. I kinda read it as they were more concerned with the way a raid or high level engram gives you this great piece of new armor that you can't yet use. What if they're fine with the currencies but will make changes so that HoW raid armor starts at a light level equal to any vendor or Crota armor you have? I'd like that because I wouldn't lose levels by immediately equipping the new armor I was just awarded.

If they would just move exotic weapons' "exotic upgrade" to the first circle or better yet make it an inherent part of the gun that would remove a lot of the fuss about needing to relevel it since it would already start with a damage number a few ahead of you full upgraded previous generation of the same gun.

Some may not agree, but I'm happy to level armor and weapons with the current currency systems if the big hurdles to equipping them in the first place are reduced or removed.

Good point

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:46 (3381 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It might be that they're not addressing that problem at all. I kinda read it as they were more concerned with the way a raid or high level engram gives you this great piece of new armor that you can't yet use. What if they're fine with the currencies but will make changes so that HoW raid armor starts at a light level equal to any vendor or Crota armor you have? I'd like that because I wouldn't lose levels by immediately equipping the new armor I was just awarded.

If they would just move exotic weapons' "exotic upgrade" to the first circle or better yet make it an inherent part of the gun that would remove a lot of the fuss about needing to relevel it since it would already start with a damage number a few ahead of you full upgraded previous generation of the same gun.

Some may not agree, but I'm happy to level armor and weapons with the current currency systems if the big hurdles to equipping them in the first place are reduced or removed.

That would certainly be an improvement. And you make a good point that we might be misinterpreting Smith's words completely (which is part of why I wish we could hear him speak about this in greater detail).

Reasoning for Radiant Materials. A Mistake?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:22 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was under the impression that Raid Armor/Weapons were given a different upgrade material to encourage people to use their Ascendant Shards/Energy on their current, non-raid, gear. At least that's what I recall reading/hearing from Bungie and I believe that was typed/spoken in truth, especially since I experienced that specific problem.

Back with the VoG I held off of going to level 29 with my gear because I was waiting for RNG to grant me the final pieces I needed and I didn't want to 'waste' my current shards on gear I was going to junk when I got the right drop. That held me back as I was unable to run Hard Mode & get more drops. This new way I was able to upgrade all my non-Crota-Raid gear without fear of using up all of my Ascendant Shards. The flip side is that it is now harder to upgrade your Raid gear.

Bungie fixed two problems & I fear created another (which *I* believe was the mistake). 1- removed reasons to not upgrade non-raid gear. 2- improved chances at getting the drops you need in the raid. The unfortunate result (mistake) of these two fixes is that you now have the gear you need, but not the mats to upgrade it which drives people to grind for the mats (there are outliers like Slycrel, who have the opposite problem, mats but not all the gear you need).

I don't think Bungie is the devil coming up with devious new ways to make people grind. Perhaps I'm cutting them too much slack and being too much of a fanboi, but I think they're just making legitimate mistakes and are learning painful lessons (for both them and us) as they level up in this new little genre.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:38 (3381 days ago) @ dogcow

I was under the impression that Raid Armor/Weapons were given a different upgrade material to encourage people to use their Ascendant Shards/Energy on their current, non-raid, gear. At least that's what I recall reading/hearing from Bungie and I believe that was typed/spoken in truth, especially since I experienced that specific problem.

Back with the VoG I held off of going to level 29 with my gear because I was waiting for RNG to grant me the final pieces I needed and I didn't want to 'waste' my current shards on gear I was going to junk when I got the right drop. That held me back as I was unable to run Hard Mode & get more drops. This new way I was able to upgrade all my non-Crota-Raid gear without fear of using up all of my Ascendant Shards. The flip side is that it is now harder to upgrade your Raid gear.

Bungie fixed two problems & I fear created another (which *I* believe was the mistake). 1- removed reasons to not upgrade non-raid gear. 2- improved chances at getting the drops you need in the raid. The unfortunate result (mistake) of these two fixes is that you now have the gear you need, but not the mats to upgrade it which drives people to grind for the mats (there are outliers like Slycrel, who have the opposite problem, mats but not all the gear you need).

I don't think Bungie is the devil coming up with devious new ways to make people grind. Perhaps I'm cutting them too much slack and being too much of a fanboi, but I think they're just making legitimate mistakes and are learning painful lessons (for both them and us) as they level up in this new little genre.

The problem with Bungie's "solution" here is that even with the split currencies (ascendant materials/radiant materials) I STILL don't want to waste resources upgrading gear that isn't top-level raid gear. If all they required was ascendant materials, that would be one thing. But upgrading armor also uses glimmer and natural materials (spirit bloom, relic iron, etc), none of which I want to waste on anything other than max-level armor.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:51 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The problem with Bungie's "solution" here is that even with the split currencies (ascendant materials/radiant materials) I STILL don't want to waste resources upgrading gear that isn't top-level raid gear. If all they required was ascendant materials, that would be one thing. But upgrading armor also uses glimmer and natural materials (spirit bloom, relic iron, etc), none of which I want to waste on anything other than max-level armor.

Yup, that's an 'error' I made. I upgraded thinking that I would have plenty of mats for my raid gear & ended up needing to grind planetary mats for it. That was annoying.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:45 (3380 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That, and the stats on the raid gear is random. If I get a piece of raid gear with +str on it, as a hunter that is garbage, so I will save my materials for a better one. To compound that, you can get differing values of the same stat, so you might find gear with +int later that's better than the +int gear you have now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:37 (3380 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:40

A better solution would have been to simply get rid of upgrading armor and weapons altogether, or to make upgrades only things like sights, additional ammo packs, etc, which can be purchased from the gunsmith. Having upgrades primarily be increased damaged is really lazy and uninspired design.

I would much rather see items that you can get that add features to guns. Put something on to make your gun arc damage for example. Or maybe super secret modules add cool abilities that we haven't yet seen. The modules themselves could follow the rare / uncommon / legendary / exotic categorization, and a gun could perhaps only have one exotic module on at a time. Once on, they stay on, unless you pay the gunsmith to remove them.

A crafting system? Hell - to the freaking - yes.

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, January 26, 2015, 13:17 (3380 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A better solution would have been to simply get rid of upgrading armor and weapons altogether, or to make upgrades only things like sights, additional ammo packs, etc, which can be purchased from the gunsmith. Having upgrades primarily be increased damaged is really lazy and uninspired design.

I would much rather see items that you can get that add features to guns. Put something on to make your gun arc damage for example. Or maybe super secret modules add cool abilities that we haven't yet seen. The modules themselves could follow the rare / uncommon / legendary / exotic categorization, and a gun could perhaps only have one exotic module on at a time. Once on, they stay on, unless you pay the gunsmith to remove them.

There would be a lot more variety to top-tier weapons and armour if Crota dropped pieces that powered-up your weapons, rather than set weapons themselves.

An Arc-damage The Devil You Know? TAKE MY GLIMMER.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:34 (3380 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

As far as House of Wolves goes, I'm afraid my pessimistic side kicks in a little bit.

You are just being realistic. I can guarantee 100% the story will still be bad, and there will be a severe lack of new content. I can guarantee more needless grind to make up for said lack of content. I can all but guarantee the raid having tons of bugs.

The "comet" or Destiny 2 is where Bungie will actually have a chance to improve I think. If those continue the same way as things are going now, then the series is hosed.

Levi Was Right

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:54 (3377 days ago) @ Leviathan

I found some people elsewhere complaining about the Heavy Ammo bug, now that they've announced an intent to fix it, because obviously they only need to change two lines to fix it and just didn't do so because they don't care.

That's pretty much my take.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 20:20 (3381 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Agreed

by yakaman, Monday, January 26, 2015, 06:58 (3381 days ago) @ narcogen

Frankly, they are right-- some people (myself included) did not mind at all, but the nature of the experience they are creating I think is leading to a bad feedback loop where the edge cases complain loudly and demand the retraction of changes that weren't really mistakes.

I very much enjoyed what TDB delivered, while simultaneously recognizing the progression grind and obstacles.

I waver back and forth over the moral question of whether I should spend my time on something that may be manipulating into playing it (i.e. slot-machine psychology).

However, I've spent more time playing with my friends in the last 3 months than I have since the end of H3...so maybe that's all that matters?

Ya know...

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:15 (3381 days ago) @ Monochron
edited by RC, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:21

I understand why Luke would want to present it like a mistake or oversight, [...]
... I really wish we could get a little more honesty about their intentions.

Stuff like this is why a lot of developers keep their mouths shut.

They should just admit that BUNGIE actually stands for 'Bastards Ultimately Nearing a Gaming of Insidious Evilness.'

Maybe I shouldn't be so critical though [...]

Being critical is fine, but calling people liars (ad hominem) when they open their mouths sure doesn't encourage people to repeat the experience.

It's better to keep the comments on the problems, not the people.

(Think that was in a book on negotiation tactics I read last year)

Ya know...

by Monochron, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 15:20 (3381 days ago) @ RC

I understand why Luke would want to present it like a mistake or oversight, [...]
... I really wish we could get a little more honesty about their intentions.

Stuff like this is why a lot of developers keep their mouths shut.

Which is why I tempered the rest of my post by saying that I was grateful for the info. But I see what you mean.

It's better to keep the comments on the problems, not the people.

Right, I wasn't saying 'Luke = BadMan' I was saying 'Bungie still isn't that good about communicating to its players'. I really doubt that Luke just went off the rails talking about Bungie's intentions and plans for the future. I would bet a lot that, as a large company with a big PR team, that PR team was aware he was making that post or is okay with the information going out. It is my opinion that that PR team should modify the message.

Why? Because the idea that Bungie didn't see the magnitude of the barrier they were creating coming casts doubt on their development abilities. And because I think Bungie is full of really smart people, I'm of the opinion that they DID see it coming and that it was intentional. We all saw the the huge barrier coming as soon as it was announced, I imagine Bungie did too. It was just a bad design decision (not an accident).

Still though, thank you Bungie and Luke for being more forthcoming with information. I'm only giving feedback because I would like to see that communication continue to improve. Keep it up!

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 18:48 (3381 days ago) @ bluerunner

You know, bungie really messed up with the engram system. But only a little. They just applied the wrong fix.

Back before engrams were changed I was getting blue and purple engrams much more frequently. The pacing was really really good. If I put in 4ish hours in an evening I was likely to have a legendary engram in that time.

The problem was that people felt ripped off because of how the engrams were labeled. They implied that they were legendary items, not a chance to receive a legendary item.

Bungie made a good, but very drastic, fix. They kept their original math, but reduced the drops. So you'd still get a legendary at about the same rate as before, but you got many less engram drops. This killed some of the "fun" and added a more grind-y feel.

I think Bungie has been making up for this and applying ad-hoc fixes since then in regards to drops.

Add that to the early comments they made such as "we are surprised that people are playing so much".... and you get commendation marks and new raid currencies. The raid currencies are somewhat appropriate, but they really up the amount of time you have to spend to keep up.

Which is fine, but if you don't keep up with that new time investment bar, you get less for your investment. Not to mention it adds to the grind and leans more hardcore -- and with that will come burnout.

Also, a big stumble was VoG being obsoleted. They missed the boat on this big time. There is no reason that the VoG should be giving out sub-par gear. If they had added a couple new pieces with light equal to the new vendor gear, many groups would have continued raiding the vault in addition to adding crota into their raid rotation. Only having one raid viable at a time seems like almost a cop-out. Also, it break the immersion factor.

They can't sustain this grind game with the playerbase long term. I'm looking forward to them improving this situation, hopefully as early as house of wolves.

by Kahzgul, Monday, January 26, 2015, 10:27 (3381 days ago) @ slycrel

It reminds me a lot of Diablo 3. Instead of making drops random or random-ish and adjusting the numbers until they felt satifying to the average player, they figured out how long they wanted gearing up to take and adjusted drops to support that. So on average in diablo 3 it takes 4 hours of farming to upgrade one item. That's garbage as far as I'm concerned. Everything in the game should be aimed at what's the most fun, rather than what forces the player to spend the most time doing it.

There is so much more to it than just gating progress

by scarab @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:13 (3381 days ago) @ Kahzgul

if all they wanted to do was gate progress then they could just:

• set milestones and the dates when they could be reached
  • do a get datetime whenever the game pings the servers
  • allocate loot corresponding to milestone reached

Then people could play the game as much or as little as they like. You wouldn't have to grind, you could take time out and when you return you get a nice surprise waiting for you.

by Kahzgul, Monday, January 26, 2015, 12:05 (3380 days ago) @ scarab

Isn't this exactly what they did as far as deciding when to release Crota Hard Mode?

by scarab @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 12:35 (3380 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I was thinking more along the lines of:

• how many legendaries should have dropped for you
  • how many exotics
  • how much good gear
  • how much upgrade currency

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, January 26, 2015, 14:47 (3380 days ago) @ scarab

I think it's all about the "fun" illusion, and keeping enough people around for extended periods.

They need to have a good balance on time put in vs rewards. They can keep their math, but how it is perceived by the player can be changed. Some perceptions are more "grind-y" than others. Legendary engrams dropping less frequently but being more of a sure thing are an example of this.

There's got to be a progression path or it feels worthless to put in the effort as a player.

I'm currently stuck at lvl 31 due to waiting for drops. I'm okay (ish) with this as I've not put in the time (or same class characters I guess?) that other players have. However, the price of this is that people are moving onto hard mode and me being artificially restrained from it. That pain point can cut both ways. On the one hand, this makes me want to play more and get the gear to move forward with fellow players. On the other, I'm barred from doing so other than once a week at this point "for the greater good". The early treadmill formula, which was good early on, is now working against me in (uh, likely?) unintended ways. This is why everyone was pissed about the VoG drops being truly random -- the more you geared up, the greater the chance of getting items you didn't need.

Balance in progression is a hard thing in game design, even harder when it's an MMO (because everyone has to move together or the system itself needs to compensate). I think bungie is being intentional here with their system, and rightly so... I think they are just pushing a little too much towards diminishing returns on time spent. It's a fine line between making something a challenge and making it too big a grind. Altering the perception is the best they can do without significant rework. I hope some of the groundwork is being laid for that rework with house of wolves, but in the meantime we will continue to see these quick fix types of changes.

put in effort?

by scarab @, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 09:12 (3380 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by scarab, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 09:23

I put in effort beating the original Halo on Legendary but it wasn't a chore. I didn't think of it as, "putting in effort". I thought of it as a difficult thing that I wanted to get better at.

Halo was my first console game, my first fps, and my first game with a game pad. I managed to beat the game on legendary whilst still being bad at aiming. I learnt: advanced cowering techniques, fight avoidance, AI manipulation, and how to carry a sniper rifle to the end of the level to kill those two red elites in the long corridor without cover. And it got easier as my skills improved and I could actually do some ballsy fighting.

The things we should be doing to progress in Destiny should be:

• learning the strengths of our weapons and gear
  • using them to our advantage
  • good use of environment
  • using strats that tilt the combat in our favour
  • coordinating well with other Guardians

We shouldn't be collecting shit or putting in hours to progress.

If Bungie needs to time gate then let them time gate at the server. If the game is two weeks into a season then your characters get the drops commensurate with that stage of the season. If you spent that two weeks enjoying the game then great. If you spent it doing something else then that is fine, you wont be punished for it (your drops will be waiting in your inventory). Your loss was in missing out on two weeks of fun in Destiny with your mates.

The game gets time gated but you don't have to pay the price.

I hate the idea that we have to earn our progress. Because at first glance it doesn't seem unreasonable. Who wants to be a "welfare check freeloader"? But then I remember that I already have a full time job, and family, and commitments. The amount of hours that I once put into the game were coming close to a full time job. And I wasn't being paid to do those hours! If Bungie wants me to put in those hours and if they don't want to pay me in fun then they had better pay me in money. And I mean more than minimal wage. Given that I already have a job, I think that Bungie would have to offer at least £60 per hour to even tempt me now. (And I'd still have to clear it with my current employer. :-)

Of course that's not going to happen and there was a time when I worked those hours for free. But I looked in a mirror and saw MUG stamped on my forehead so those days are gone forever.

That's where I stand when people talk of earning progress. It puts me in the world of money and work and in that world my work costs money.

Think about it: if you have put hours or weeks into "earning" those raid boot then you have sold your time cheap. Maybe your current employer should ask you if you'll work for him for a pair of pretend boots. Boots that will make it easier for you to earn a better pair of pretend boots. ;-)

Anyway, moving on...

even if Bungie did just time gate at the server, how could you ensure that you get the specific gear that you want?

I think that this could tie into another problem, a problem with raids and randoms, a problem with players without mics.

I'm generally averse to social engineering attempts but something needs to be done about the lack of mic usage in the Destiny population. This needs to be tackled on a broad front but one possible thing that might help would be the creation of tasks that require guardian cooperation and specifically the cooperation of guardians who can talk to each other in real time.

This goes back to my idea of tower gear.

Tower Gear

• you perform activities in the Tower or that launch from the Tower
  • those activities require guardians who talk in real time to each other
  • you earn credits that let you buy specific gear with specific perks
  • you get one piece of Tower Gear per season and per DLC

You can buy (any?) piece of gear and specify (any?) perks or damage type. Each piece of gear/perk has its price.

Asking people to buy stuff feels as hypocritical as Sideshow Bob using a TV to decry the evils of TV. In my defence I would say that:

• there is no RNG so no unlimited sink of time
  • you need good teams to enjoy raids and anything that encourages mic use in a cooperative environment could help create a climate where good teams could form. I think this would tilt the balance from work to fun and I don't feel bad about asking people to invest time in fun.

I still feel dirty for suggesting that people earn their stuff. Destiny infects your thinking. You always come back to thinking of making people pay for playing the game.

To get back on thread topic...

maybe the mistake of requiring shards was caused by infected thinking. Bungie wanted progression to be easy but their thinking had been infected by the idea that the player must pay in blood to progress. Even when they didn't want to - they still injected grind because the game wont let go of your thinking. It infects everybody. Try suggesting a new gameplay feature that doesn't have some form of grind or cost built into it :-)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread