Regarding Hard Mode (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 11:10 (3382 days ago)

I have heard and read a lot about how some people dislike Hard Mode for being unfairly punishing and hard in the wrong type of way. I have to say, that by looking at how the PS4 DBO people did it, it would seem to be the opposite. You have to figure out a new strategy, use your skills and gear more creatively (such as bubble placement blocking the boomer shots on the sword carrier), and perhaps use weapons and armor you might not have.

Is this a fair assessment? I wish I could have been there figuring that strategy out with you guys, because that looked pretty fun.

Regarding Hard Mode

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 12:34 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have heard and read a lot about how some people dislike Hard Mode for being unfairly punishing and hard in the wrong type of way. I have to say, that by looking at how the PS4 DBO people did it, it would seem to be the opposite. You have to figure out a new strategy, use your skills and gear more creatively (such as bubble placement blocking the boomer shots on the sword carrier), and perhaps use weapons and armor you might not have.

Is this a fair assessment?

Yeah, I would say so. As an example, I think it was pretty cool how we had to figure out a new way to regen health - by looking at our gear and character skill trees rather than an in-instance mechanic.

I wish I could have been there figuring that strategy out with you guys, because that looked pretty fun.

You gonna get rid of that girlfiend by the time the House of Wolves raid comes around so you can go in blind with us again?

Regarding Hard Mode

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 13:37 (3381 days ago) @ Speedracer513

You gonna get rid of that girlfiend by the time the House of Wolves raid comes around so you can go in blind with us again?

Probably not.

Regarding Hard Mode

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:58 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Girlfriend > video games. Priorities are correct.

agreed

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 18:19 (3381 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

- No text -

Regarding Hard Mode

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 26, 2015, 14:06 (3380 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Girlfriend > video games. Priorities are correct.

No one told me. Rethinking everything.

Regarding Hard Mode

by ckamp, Monday, January 26, 2015, 14:25 (3380 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

While true, they don't have to be mutually exclusive categories. Some people have wives who are just as enthusiastic about games...

Girl Fiend? That's a bit harsh.

by scarab @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 13:09 (3380 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Regarding Hard Mode

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 15:44 (3381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is this a fair assessment? I wish I could have been there figuring that strategy out with you guys, because that looked pretty fun.

From my limited experience with the hard mode boss fight, I'd say I agree with you in terms of the design, but the bugs do add a serious amount of frustration. To have a boss fight that absolutely requires significant amounts of heavy ammo is problematic due to the heavy ammo glitch. I enjoy a super-challenging encounter, I DON'T enjoy feeling robbed by the game. Given how easy it is for your team to wipe, I feel like I'm throwing thousands of glimmer in the toilet when I fight Crota.

Regarding Hard Mode

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 18:34 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by someotherguy, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 18:40

From my limited experience with the hard mode boss fight, I'd say I agree with you in terms of the design, but the bugs do add a serious amount of frustration. To have a boss fight that absolutely requires significant amounts of heavy ammo is problematic due to the heavy ammo glitch. I enjoy a super-challenging encounter, I DON'T enjoy feeling robbed by the game. Given how easy it is for your team to wipe, I feel like I'm throwing thousands of glimmer in the toilet when I fight Crota.

I totally agree with this. Working out ways for everyone to stay alive and regen health (Bubbles. Bubbles everywhere) was pretty cool, as was figuring out which places were safe and the timing involved.

Less cool is the gatekeeper running upstairs and murdering everyone, the high heavy ammo cost per run (minimum 6, and that's if you're not using it on Ogres) combined with the Heavy Ammo glitch, the sword despawning, and Crota taking a leisurely walk off the edge of the concourse onto your swordsman's head.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread