Question about VoG drops (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:24 (3381 days ago)

How does doing VoG on normal affect drops if you later do it on hard mode? And vice versa?

Question about VoG drops

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:33 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

By doing Hard Mode without running Normal first, you get "two rolls" of loot drops from the Hard Mode loot table.

If you were to do Normal first, your loot drops would only consist of items from the Normal Mode loot table, then you'd effectively only get a "single roll" from the Hard Mode loot table on the subsequent Hard Mode run.

Question about VoG drops

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:35 (3381 days ago) @ JDQuackers

So basically, if you just do hard mode you don't need to bother doing normal mode. It's similar to doing the weekly strikes at various difficulties. If you just start at the max you only need to do it once. Right?

Correct

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, January 26, 2015, 23:15 (3380 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Question about VoG drops

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:38 (3381 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Is it really two hard mode table rolls, or is it one normal table roll & one hard mode table roll? If so then I'd be more inclined to avoid normal until after I've passed hard mode (and then just run normal for fun if someone needs help with it).

Question about VoG drops

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:00 (3381 days ago) @ dogcow

Is it really two hard mode table rolls, or is it one normal table roll & one hard mode table roll?

It's definitely two hard mode rolls. I have, on more than one occasion, gotten two helmets at the same time from beating Atheon on hard.

-Disciple

Question about VoG drops

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:06 (3381 days ago) @ dogcow

Is it really two hard mode table rolls, or is it one normal table roll & one hard mode table roll?

Two rolls on hard mode. I have gotten two fatebringers at once, as well as a helmet and a mythoclast at the same time.

Question about VoG drops

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:42 (3381 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Just adding to what JD said, there are cases where you might actually be better off running the raid on normal, rather than hard, depending on which weapons/gear you are trying to get.

For example, if you're trying to get a mythoclast, you're better off running it on Hard mode without doing a normal run first. That way, when you beat atheon, you get a double "hard loot" roll. In other words, 2 chances to get a Mythoclast.

On the flip side, you might find yourself in my situation, where the weapons I'm still trying to get are "normal" drops. For me, it's better to do normal first, because that way I have a better chance of getting the normal weapons (since the hard weapons are not in the loot table).

For weeks and weeks, I ran VoG exclusively on Hard mode. So I ended up with multiple fatebringers and mythoclasts, but still don't have a Vision of Confluence, Praeydeth's Timepiece, Praetorian Foil, or Corrective Measure.

Question about VoG drops

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:51 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just adding to what JD said, there are cases where you might actually be better off running the raid on normal, rather than hard, depending on which weapons/gear you are trying to get.

For weeks and weeks, I ran VoG exclusively on Hard mode. So I ended up with multiple fatebringers and mythoclasts, but still don't have a Vision of Confluence, Praeydeth's Timepiece, Praetorian Foil, or Corrective Measure.

Ah, so THAT's why you don't have a VoC or Corrective Measure. When you mentioned that the other day I was shocked, but it makes sense now.

Question about VoG drops

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:54 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So I ended up with multiple fatebringers and mythoclasts, but still don't have a Vision of >Confluence, Praeydeth's Timepiece, Praetorian Foil, or Corrective Measure.

You poor baby....

:P

Question about VoG drops

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:10 (3381 days ago) @ Revenant1988

So I ended up with multiple fatebringers and mythoclasts, but still don't have a Vision of >Confluence, Praeydeth's Timepiece, Praetorian Foil, or Corrective Measure.

You poor baby....

:P

Yeah, good problem to have ;p

I love scout rifles though, so Vision of Confluence is high on my wish list. Great Scout Rifle with elemental damage? YES PLEASE :)

Question about VoG drops

by petetheduck, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:56 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

For example, if you're trying to get a mythoclast, you're better off running it on Hard mode without doing a normal run first. That way, when you beat atheon, you get a double "hard loot" roll. In other words, 2 chances to get a Mythoclast.

On the flip side, you might find yourself in my situation, where the weapons I'm still trying to get are "normal" drops. For me, it's better to do normal first, because that way I have a better chance of getting the normal weapons (since the hard weapons are not in the loot table).

Wait, Vision of Confluence is a normal mode only drop? Well then. Eh, I'll just do the Crota primaries..

It drops in Hard

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, January 26, 2015, 21:27 (3380 days ago) @ petetheduck

It's just that there's less of a chance of it dropping on Hard, as there are other things that could drop, instead.

So it's a bigger pool of possible drops; it's more likely to get one on a Normal roll than a Hard one.

Question about VoG drops

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 26, 2015, 08:57 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm where you are, except the part about doing VoG on hard mode (on the PS4). Having used Vision of Confluence and Atheon's Epilogue on the Xbox, I know how useful they are, and I feel handicapped without them.

I might try to join you for your normal run this week. I may have to a try a first sleep and second sleep thing, though.

About that Epilogue (for the Thorn bounty)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:09 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

Having used...Atheon's Epilogue on the Xbox, I know how useful [it is], and I feel handicapped without [it].

I recently got around to the Thorn bounty, and spent some time getting my epilogue up through perfect balance so it would be useful for crucible. Having finished the bounty, my opinion for those who haven't done it yet and don't play crucible much: don't bother with Atheon's Epilogue. It is a risky way to do that bounty. Play as voidwalker/defender (try not to do this with a hunter if you can help it). Get a void shotgun or fusion rifle, get Truth, and camp heavy weapon spawns. Play selfishly and try not to die. Atheon's Epilogue is just not going to win you enough gun fights; a high stability/impact primary with some range will be more useful to you in terms of staying alive.

If you get a 1.0 k/d in crucible with a void shotty and rocket launcher, you'll make 30 points of progress per game. If you have a corrective measure and want to try that instead, be aware you will probably die to someone else's rocket launcher. Truth will get you the kills and keep you alive, and the shotty will be your best bet for close encounters. Let them come to you. There are ways to do this bounty without an epilogue.

About that Epilogue (for the Thorn bounty)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:15 (3381 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Having used...Atheon's Epilogue on the Xbox, I know how useful [it is], and I feel handicapped without [it].

I recently got around to the Thorn bounty, and spent some time getting my epilogue up through perfect balance so it would be useful for crucible. Having finished the bounty, my opinion for those who haven't done it yet and don't play crucible much: don't bother with Atheon's Epilogue. It is a risky way to do that bounty. Play as voidwalker/defender (try not to do this with a hunter if you can help it). Get a void shotgun or fusion rifle, get Truth, and camp heavy weapon spawns. Play selfishly and try not to die. Atheon's Epilogue is just not going to win you enough gun fights; a high stability/impact primary with some range will be more useful to you in terms of staying alive.

If you get a 1.0 k/d in crucible with a void shotty and rocket launcher, you'll make 30 points of progress per game. If you have a corrective measure and want to try that instead, be aware you will probably die to someone else's rocket launcher. Truth will get you the kills and keep you alive, and the shotty will be your best bet for close encounters. Let them come to you. There are ways to do this bounty without an epilogue.

Yeah, Cody clued me in a while back.

EDIT: I meant to also say that I like it for killing Oracles.

About that Epilogue (for Oracles)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:30 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

Damn right it's good for that! I know some people who swear by pocket infinity for that too, but I think the epilogue might be better just because it allows for that icebreaker/gjalalalahooorn.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:58 (3381 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Damn right it's good for that! I know some people who swear by pocket infinity for that too, but I think the epilogue might be better just because it allows for that icebreaker/gjalalalahooorn.

Yep. Off topic: one day you simply must make this your avatar.

[image]

Ha! Good work!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, January 26, 2015, 10:02 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

I think that was the first one I had on here. It is also the inspiration for the name. You win the culture wars!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:48 (3380 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Corrective measure is of course the ultimate oracle killer. Tons of ammo. You'll never run out.

Well, that and Super Good Advice

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, January 26, 2015, 19:10 (3380 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Speaking of which, I find there's a very specific range where I do more damage to Oracles with SGA by being further away.

E.g. I'll do 170, move closer and do 200, then move closer again and do 180.

Is that normal?

I'm starting to think you all just can't use them

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, January 26, 2015, 11:51 (3380 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I do fine in the Crucible with Doctor Nope, so I'd take iconicbanana's advice with a grain of salt; it'll come down to playstyle.

Or am I just the only guy who likes the Sahara family of guns around here?

You might be right.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, January 26, 2015, 12:04 (3380 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I do fine in the Crucible with Doctor Nope, so I'd take iconicbanana's advice with a grain of salt; it'll come down to playstyle.

Or am I just the only guy who likes the Sahara family of guns around here?

I kill a lot of people using Atheon's Epilogue, and I don't die to it very often.

Honestly, with Focus Fire, Sahara's are some of the best AR's in the game. Without Focus Fire, though, I really do end up trading a lot. Too bad Focus Fire isn't in the Legendary AR perk-pool.

Question about VoG drops

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:17 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

I might try to join you for your normal run this week. I may have to a try a first sleep and second sleep thing, though.

That's be great! It'd be fun to go through the Raid with you.

It's funny, that "2 sleeps per night" thing is exactly how I got through a good chunk of my early 20s. I've always been a bit of a night owl. The early morning hours are when my brain really wakes up, and I feel the most creative. I used to get home from work and sleep for 2-3 hours, then get up around 10pm or so and stay up until about 5-6am. I'd go out, work on my band's latest recordings, play Halo CE, etc. Then I'd sleep for another couple hours and go to work.

It was great :)

Question about VoG drops

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, January 26, 2015, 10:59 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

I may have to a try a first sleep and second sleep thing, though.

I worked medical sleep labs for a few years and studied a lot about sleep. I keep seeing these claims made, but they don't make any sense, and they often don't cite their sources adequately.

Before electricity, candles and oil were really expensive--it wouldn't make sense for people to wake in the darkness and visit neighbors because no one could afford that.

This article doesn't talk about it, but anyone who advocates polyphasic sleep is a fool and you should not listen to them.

end pet peeve rant.

Question about VoG drops

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 26, 2015, 09:04 (3381 days ago) @ Kermit

How does doing VoG on normal affect drops if you later do it on hard mode? And vice versa?

You get one loot roll per drop per difficulty per character per week. This means if you do normal mode, then hard, you get one roll with the normal loot table, the other with hard. If you do hard without doing normal, you get TWO rolls from the HARD MODE loot table. I have gotten two fatebringers at once from the templar before.

If you do hard first, you won't get any more loot.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread