Bungie is hiring a raid designer (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 23:54 (3394 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/AboutUs#page=careers&job=12038

Does this mean that Luke is getting an apprentice? Or is he getting the boot?

Also loling at this requirement:

"Max level character with significant end game Player versus Environment experience in a popular online game"

I would want someone who hates traditional MMOs to design my raids for Destiny, since they would not fall into the trap of making MMO bullshit. :-)

Bungie is hiring a raid designer

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 04:33 (3394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You should apply Cody. Bungie could use someone with your infinite expertise.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 06:26 (3394 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Why would I want to work in the video game industry? It sounds universally terrible.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 07:15 (3394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why would I want to work in the video game industry? It sounds universally terrible.

Depends where you look. It is a very very big industry. Can't tell why if you just don't, you have to love what you do.

You seem to love what you do, seeing as we see it every other day. >_> :P

by scarab @, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 04:34 (3394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

WoW players that I've discussed Destiny with say that the grind in WoW sucks but that Raids are awesome.

They universally like the Raids. Many say that they hate absolutely everything else about the game.

OK, I have a small sample size: (5?) people but I don't think that raid experience in MMOs is a blanket disqualifier.

And from general forum post reading, here, at BNet, and reddit: I have seen many people say that Destiny raids are a bit tame in comparison to WoW raids.

I'm sure we have plenty of WoW (or other MMO) players who could chip in and either verify or disagree.

Have you even played one MMO raid? I haven't played any either but I have heard that they can be pretty epic.

by Durandal, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 06:04 (3394 days ago) @ scarab

I played WoW, up to and through the first expansion. The early raids were dull, by the numbers set pieces just like Destiny's strikes. It was only later on that they started getting cute with encounters and mixing it up. Raid drops sucked like VoG too.

It was even worse that WoW raids pretty much required certain sub-specs. Imagine if Destiny forums were all "LF 2 Defender titan, 3 sunsingers and 1 gunslinger for VoG".

And instead of kicking people for hard Crota for not being 32, they kicked people who used Voidwalker or didn't have the Helm of Saint-14 on their titan.

That was WoW when I left. I know Blizzard has put lots of effort into improving their raids, as several of my friends have mentioned in an attempt to lure me back in, but Blizzard had a large learning curve over the years.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 06:55 (3394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can we have some enthusiasm around here that isn't adulterated by cynicism? You guys are wearing me out. :-(

They should hire you, Cody!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 07:05 (3394 days ago) @ Kermit

Can we have some enthusiasm around here that isn't adulterated by cynicism? You guys are wearing me out. :-(

I was just thinking that.

I want Cody to apply, get hired, put something out and then watch forums everywhere shit all over it.

FWIW, I think the Raids are a lot of fun, bugs aside.

I wish I was raiding more regularly, but the main group is usually full up and I won't play with randoms.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 07:16 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 07:19

I want Cody to apply, get hired, put something out and then watch forums everywhere shit all over it.

I do that whenever I read reviews of movies I've worked on.

(Also, I have continually praised Luke's work on the raids as being the best part of Destiny on these forums :-p )

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 08:36 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I wish I was raiding more regularly, but the main group is usually full up and I won't play with randoms.

Raid with me tomorrow night!

I'd be excited for Cody, Bungie, and the future of Destiny if Cody got hired. I'd hire him based on my real-time interactions with him and good references from people I know who know him. I'd be reluctant to hire him based on his forum persona, in that I would fear that he'd be inflexible and walk out if he lost an in-house argument.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 08:53 (3394 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Hit me up anytime you see me on. I can't always raid, but I enjoy doing so when I can. Even if I've already grabbed the rewards.

- CC

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:36 (3393 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You know I raid just for lulz. You should let me know any time you want to raid and I'll scoop up some folks.
A few around here often help out on a whim, even Cane's henchmen.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:54 (3393 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I love raiding with you Rev and almost invited you last night when 5 of us were (shh... "cheesing") the bridge. (I think you jumped in a weekly or something right before I was about to send the invite).

Luke got promoted cause VoG

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:54 (3393 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It was in some interview with him posted on this forum a few months ago.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:58 (3393 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

A well-deserved promotion if I ever heard of one.

It's an interesting path he's taken, starting as a journalist, getting into Bungie as a community guy, and then designing something like the VoG.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:39 (3393 days ago) @ stabbim

A well-deserved promotion if I ever heard of one.

It's an interesting path he's taken, starting as a journalist, getting into Bungie as a community guy, and then designing something like the VoG.

Frankie started out writing for OXM. I recall an article he did about Halo 2. It was a neat read. Then he got pulled into Bungie for community stuff, and now he's one of the heads at 343i in charge of destroying Halo.
The gaming industry is weird.

But yeah, Luke done good.

Promoted to what?

by scarab @, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:09 (3393 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

- No text -

Time's Conflux? I heard there was an opening. :P

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:20 (3393 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

by Fuertisimo, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:04 (3393 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Shit I'll do it. There you go, consider that my application and résumé.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread