Dallas.Bungie.Org LAN Party! - Time for an UPDATE! (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:13 (3393 days ago)
edited by Speedracer513, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:38

[image]

Hey y'all!

It's been about six weeks since I first posted about the DBO LAN Party I would like you all to come to the beginning of April, and since that's just over 2 months away, I guess it's time for some follow-up!

A handful of you have expressed some strong interest and stated that you would know more after the new year. I would like to start putting together a list of commitments and making plans and arrangements.

Again, the important details are as follows:

Where: Midlothian, Texas. Midlothian is about 25 minutes from either of the major airports (DFW and Love Field). I am more than happy to help arrange picking people up from the airport and getting them to Midlo.

When: April 2-4, 2015. Officially, the LAN will run from Thursday morning (April 2nd) through Saturday (April 4th), but y'all are more than welcome to show up Wednesday and leave Sunday. (That Friday is actually Good Friday, so you may even already have the day off from work!)

Accommodations: The house has four bedrooms and two living areas, along with an airplane hanger in the backyard that has a guest apartment/office. We also have plenty of air mattresses depending on how popular this is.

Cost: Free! As mentioned above, I anticipate that we will have room for everybody to crash for free in the house, so there will not be any cost to share for sleeping arrangements. Obviously, everybody will be expected to help cover the costs of communal food and drinks, and pay for themselves if we go out anywhere.

Activities: Gaming, eating, and more gaming -- of both the video and board varieties. The airplane hangar I mentioned above actually houses the 5,000+ BoardGameGeek library that is used at BGG.CON, so we have unfettered access to any board game that you can possibly imagine wanting to play. We also have the tech to set up a full Artemis bridge (Artemis is TONS of fun in case you're not already familiar with it). I would be more than happy to show anyone around some of the cool stuff Dallas has to offer if there is interest, but I imagine most of our time will be spent playing Halo, Destiny (I know we can get at least one full fire team working just fine on the internet and I'd be interested to see what the network limit is), Mariokart, etc.

How to sign up: Post here and/or send an email to scottanderson03@gmail.com.

Dallas.Bungie.Org LAN Party! - Time for an UPDATE!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:32 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm very tempted. The main thing holding me back right now is the 4 days I'd have to take off of work...

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:34 (3393 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm very tempted. The main thing holding me back right now is the 4 days I'd have to take off of work...

It's Easter weekend -- so would you really have to take the four days off work? In any case, I promise it would be worth your while. If it sways you at all, you are one of the people I was specifically hoping would make it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:43 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

It's Easter weekend -- so would you really have to take the four days off work? In any case, I promise it would be worth your while. If it sways you at all, you are one of the people I was specifically hoping would make it.

Sadly, yeah. No holidays off for that week, plus my normal work week is Wed-Sat, meaning I'd have to take off my whole work week since all of Wednesday would be spent driving. But, I am seeing if I can do it, it sounds like a blast!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:33 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm sure I can get the time off and it won't be the longest drive I've ever made.

As ever, road trips are better with friends, so if anyone who's thinking of going lives roughly between Iowa and Texas, carpooling would be an option. The car is roomy, well-maintained, and equipped with Red vs. Blue DVDs.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:37 (3393 days ago) @ stabbim

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm sure I can get the time off and it won't be the longest drive I've ever made.

As ever, road trips are better with friends, so if anyone who's thinking of going lives roughly between Iowa and Texas, carpooling would be an option. The car is roomy, well-maintained, and equipped with Red vs. Blue DVDs.

Awesome!

On that note, one day when I was talking about the LAN with some of the guys here while we were raiding -- we all expressed that it would be awesome if Levi could come and that we would have to figure out a way to get him here since he is literally a starving artist! I know he lives somewhere in the midwest -- any chance he's close enough to stowaway in your car? (Presuming, of course, that Levi is interested and could manage the days).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:42 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Awesome!

On that note, one day when I was talking about the LAN with some of the guys here while we were raiding -- we all expressed that it would be awesome if Levi could come and that we would have to figure out a way to get him here since he is literally a starving artist! I know he lives somewhere in the midwest -- any chance he's close enough to stowaway in your car? (Presuming, of course, that Levi is interested and could manage the days).

If not, I'll chip in on that plane ticket.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:44 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Pretty sure he's in Missouri somewhere, so in theory yeah. Up to him, of course.

I'm nearly in.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 18:44 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

If I get the good to go I would happily give Levi (or anyone else in the area) a lift!

Airplane for Levi?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 21:42 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'll have an extra seat on the airplane for Levi. Are you interested in riding in a small airplane on the way down Levi?

o_0

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 23:25 (3393 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

This sounds like the most VIP LAN ever. People are literally flying in on their private planes? Hah.

I'm interested but I've got a lot of potential travelling to straighten out first. I've been wanting to attempt many more appearances at different comic cons across the country, especially the midwest. And we're also potentially planning a vacation with some of my family. I'm trying to steer them towards Seattle - I miss it and would love to explore some suburbs and get serious about moving out there. So got to figure all that out first!

But for god sakes don't reserve a private plane (or zeppelin, or ballon, or however you crazy people are getting there) for me just yet!

o_0

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 05:27 (3393 days ago) @ Leviathan

Well we are planning on flying one anyway if the weather is good.

Definitely maybe

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:36 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Would involve flying for me.

Fix your image, bro.

[image]

Definitely maybe

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:38 (3393 days ago) @ Kermit

Fix your image, bro.

Yeah -- I've been quite confused as to why it's not showing up -- what was I doing wrong?

Definitely maybe

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:41 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Fix your image, bro.

Yeah -- I've been quite confused as to why it's not showing up -- what was I doing wrong?

No file extension, I think.

You haven't stated a preference for platforms. What are you expecting people to bring?

Definitely maybe

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:48 (3393 days ago) @ Kermit

Fix your image, bro.

No file extension, I think.

You haven't stated a preference for platforms. What are you expecting people to bring?

ALL OF TEH CONSOLES!!

Really though -- I don't really know. I have a PS4, Xbox 360, XboxOne and WiiU. There is another Xbox 360 and XboxOne at my brother's house. I figure we'll want to do some old-school Halo stuff so the Xboxes will be important. As far as Destiny is concerned, most of the commitments so far seem to be from the Xbox side of the community, but I think we'll have some PS4ers as well (and I obviously play on both). I guess once we have a solid list of people coming, we'll start an email chain to discuss what everyone wants to play and can bring/wants others to bring.

As I said in my first post -- I've never organized one of these before, so I'll be relying on you veterans to help it go off without a hitch!

Definitely maybe

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:58 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

As I said in my first post -- I've never organized one of these before, so I'll be relying on you veterans to help it go off without a hitch!

I can't make it, but if you need any help on setting up and what to expect, drop me a line, or we can talk about it after the raid Friday. It's a lot of fun setting one up, but a lot of work too.

Ditto.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:02 (3393 days ago) @ bluerunner

Myself and Bones can offer advice.

My biggest suggestion to you is do not have people over, they show up, and then ask "what's everyone want to do?"

Have your days\activities planned out.

Also, you can never have enough food.

Ditto.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:08 (3393 days ago) @ Revenant1988

My biggest suggestion to you is do not have people over, they show up, and then ask "what's everyone want to do?"

That sounds like invaluable advice - and I hadn't really thought too much about planning out the activities since I'm generally a "go-with-the-flow" kind of guy.

ah, found it! A write up does exist!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:15 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by Revenant1988, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:26

That sounds like invaluable advice - and I hadn't really thought too much about planning out the activities since I'm generally a "go-with-the-flow" kind of guy.

You can totally "go with the flow" and still have a plan- don't take my comment as having every little thing planned down to the minute, rather, have a map of how you want to spend a day, and flexibility.

With the HBO LANs, typically they've been done in an order like this:

Fri- People arrive- hang out, catch a meal, laugh and catch up
Sat- All Halo all day- breaks for meals, wrap up in the late evening
Sun- Some people depart- play more party style games, do an event\go somewhere\do something
Mon- Sad manly tears of goodbye

If we had write ups of Bluerunner's last LAN and mine....oh wait, we never got to them :\

THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW

EDIT:

There IS a writeup of my LAN, from the perspective of DayandKnighly.

https://reactivebias.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/hbohio-the-write-up/

and a time honored tradition that YOU MUST do.

https://reactivebias.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/hbohio-fuel-rod/

Now I want to go back and write something up for Blue's LAN....but I lost all the pictures...damnit.

Ditto.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:07 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Have a plan, then expect that to go out the window in the first hour. I had everything broken down into 15 minute intervals, but the actual plan went out within the first 15 minutes. What the plan did do was to have everything I wanted us to do down on paper and it made it easy to prioritize activities and keep us focused. This group is a herd of cats.

The important thing is to have something ready to go at all times. Setup is a time killer, and you don't want to waste more playing time deciding on what to play. Have a playlist ready, but leave openings for suggestions from your group.

Sleeping places are a premium. Don't stack everyone in the same room. People go to sleep at different times. Have a dedicated spot for nightowls, and try to game away from where people sleep. Be ready to not sleep much when you're hosting. I slept only 4 hours or so each night at mine, and I slept in a closet.

Ditto.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:50 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

Also....don't expect people to hike like Blue did....his choices almost cost us Korny's life.

And if we lost Korny then who would carry me through raids?

CC

Ditto.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:42 (3392 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Also....don't expect people to hike like Blue did....his choices almost cost us Korny's life.

No worries. No physical activity planned for my shindig. We could go play a game of volleyball in the yard or go swimming - but we don't even have hills to hike 'round these parts!

And if we lost Korny then who would carry me through raids?

Don't worry - if Korny ever tries hiking again, there are four of us Flawless Raiders left that will step up and carry you through the raids! :-)

Ditto.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:58 (3392 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think if I had taken them on the actual hike I planned, I would have killed off 3/4 of the group.

And if you have a hot tub, make sure you shut off the jets before everybody goes to bed. Otherwise some people might wake up and think there is a rain storm entirely localized to only one side of the house.

Ditto.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 11:43 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

And if you have a hot tub, make sure you shut off the jets before everybody goes to bed. Otherwise some people might wake up and think there is a rain storm entirely localized to only one side of the house.

I almost forgot about that. It really sounded like the first wall of rain that hits when a big storm moves in. When you're asleep enough to believe that's what you're hearing, but awake enough to realize there is clearly NOT a storm happening, it weirds you out a little.

*whistles X-Files Theme*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:45 (3392 days ago) @ stabbim

i want to believe

Don't listen to these two...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:23 (3393 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I went to both of their LANs, and all I got were some of my best memories.

Seriously, though, Rev's right about having activities planned. Definitely do that - I could tell both LANs I went to were better for it.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:24 (3393 days ago) @ stabbim

All you'll need to keep Stabbim happy is some winding mountain roads for him to drive on. I'm sure you have plenty in Midlothian, TX.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:24 (3393 days ago) @ bluerunner

All you'll need to keep Stabbim happy is some winding mountain roads for him to drive on. I'm sure you have plenty in Midlothian, TX.

Uh... not so much...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:33 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Uh... not so much...

I say, that girl is like the road from Dallas to Fort Worth...no curves.

[image]

Don't forget the Most Dangerous Game

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:41 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

Hunting Bones. The sport of Gentlemen.

Don't forget the Most Dangerous Game

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:28 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Hunting Bones. The sport of Gentlemen.

I don't recall seeing any men. Now, chicken-hearted boys...

"Throw a party," they said. "It'll be easy," they said.

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:22 (3392 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Well hell, son, you've come to the right place.

Yeah, the stories are true. I've hosted events from Wichita to Tuscaloosa, Albuquerque to ol' San Fran, Buffalo to the Big Easy. I call 'em like I see 'em, and I see you're in for a world o' hurt. Cheer up, though, son; I'll show you the ropes. After all, you never really get out of the lanin' business. You just take a vacation.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:30 (3392 days ago) @ Bones

Yeah, the stories are true. I've hosted events from Wichita to Tuscaloosa, Albuquerque to ol' San Fran, Buffalo to the Big Easy. I call 'em like I see 'em, and I see you're in for a world o' hurt. Cheer up, though, son; I'll show you the ropes. After all, you never really get out of the lanin' business. You just take a vacation.

So you gonna come Bones? Or just offer advice from afar like these other two slackers?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:33 (3392 days ago) @ Speedracer513

So you gonna come Bones? Or just offer advice from afar like these other two slackers?

Adding bones to any LAN soup can make all the difference, he said, hopefully.

Undecided.

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:53 (3392 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, I'm looking at either a 28-hour road trip or $400+ airfare. I'll be honest; neither is an easy pill to swallow at this moment in space time.

Where are you coming from?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:09 (3392 days ago) @ Bones

- No text -

The Racing Capital of the World

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:20 (3392 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

The Racing Capital of the World

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:41 (3392 days ago) @ Bones

That's impossible, it takes more than 28 hours to drive to Texas from Germany.

[image]

Noted

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:11 (3392 days ago) @ Bones

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:54 (3392 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I can offer Bones targets if you need some for target practice.

Definitely maybe

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:06 (3393 days ago) @ bluerunner

I can't make it, but if you need any help on setting up and what to expect, drop me a line, or we can talk about it after the raid Friday. It's a lot of fun setting one up, but a lot of work too.

Bummer that you can't make it, but I will definitely hit you up for advice in the near future!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:55 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Mariokart, etc.

Oh man, prepare to get wrecked.

If you have Mario Kart 64, and if Leviathan can come, I am so in. Flights are mad cheap into DFW for some reason.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:59 (3393 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mariokart, etc.

If you have Mario Kart 64, and if Leviathan can come, I am so in. Flights are mad cheap into DFW for some reason.

I do have a N64! - forgot to include it in the list. Hell - maybe we should play Goldeneye all weekend!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:08 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Mariokart, etc.

I do have a N64! - forgot to include it in the list. Hell - maybe we should play Goldeneye all weekend!!

Goldeneye sucks man.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:30 (3393 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Flights are mad cheap into DFW for some reason.

Sadly flying out of SLC is ALWAYS expensive.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:12 (3393 days ago) @ Xenos

Wait, you're from somewhere near SLC too?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:15 (3393 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah I live in Provo.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:17 (3393 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm typing this in Provo.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:25 (3393 days ago) @ dogcow

Crazy! Small world isn't it?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:29 (3393 days ago) @ Xenos

I was just over there. Wish I had known.

And round trip Nashville to SLC was under $500. I thought that wasn't too bad.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:46 (3393 days ago) @ bluerunner

I was just over there. Wish I had known.

And round trip Nashville to SLC was under $500. I thought that wasn't too bad.

Yeah, you can get prices like that. Normally with these LANs or PAX though if you look out for deals you can get under $300, and even sometimes under $200! But out of SLC, it's always between $300 and $500 to go anywhere in the US.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:37 (3393 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah I live in Provo.

I'm typing this in Provo.

And I used to live in Provo! (BYU class of 2006)

<_<... >_>... <_<

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:19 (3393 days ago) @ Xenos

Flights are mad cheap into DFW for some reason.

[image]

Hey buddy. Ya you ... I couldn't help but overhear your predicament. I'm sympathetic to your cause see, but the thing is..well. This. This post is cake.

Like portal cake... ya feel me?

In fact this post is just another one of those collective imaginary thingies... uh... whats it called...eh... REALITY. Riiiiiight.

Reality. Its all fake any way... like those tv shows...

But this my friend is the real deal. Ignore the whole "being sued" thing, I'm sure it will blow over. There is no RISK at all, except for the whole flying to your peril thing and ...well everything else- BUT Details Smetails aren't important because you are obviously a big picture kind of guy see?

Let me paint you a picture see, you get to your destination with less money involved. Bada- Bing!

What do I get out of it? Exsactly what you would think a simply humble guy who has a penchant for really foggy areas and dark alleyways trying to help a friend. I also get cake.

Have fun.

.....OH!

And remember... this post... even if you see it again... Never happened. ;)

[image]

<_<... >_>... <_<

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:35 (3393 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Haha, yeah I've actually considered doing that before! I even got some legal advice saying if you did it only once a year they probably wouldn't press charges, it's just the people that do it ALL THE TIME that get in trouble.

*Sigh* Hope you all have fun.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:54 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

sadface :(

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:32 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Got family coming into town for Easter. Any other weekend would have probably worked.

sadface :(

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:45 (3393 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Got family coming into town for Easter. Any other weekend would have probably worked.

Darn. Sorry to hear it, but yeah, I understand Easter weekend isn't the best - especially for people with big families.

by Ouranje ⌂, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:40 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I would SOOOO totally be down for this! I live in Dallas, actually.

But sadly I'm working the entire weekend with no chance of leave. Hope you guys have fun! I recommend Mutant Chronicles for fun boards games that are super rare.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:43 (3393 days ago) @ Ouranje

I would SOOOO totally be down for this! I live in Dallas, actually.

Wow, really?!

But sadly I'm working the entire weekend with no chance of leave. Hope you guys have fun! I recommend Mutant Chronicles for fun boards games that are super rare.

Surely you can at least swing by for an evening or two!

by Ouranje ⌂, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:49 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Honest to goodness, would if I could! But my new job is 100% attendance required during the first six months, sad to say. I'll catch the next one if there will be another! :)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 17:18 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Accommodations: The house has four bedrooms and two living areas, along with an airplane hanger in the backyard that has a guest apartment/office. We also have plenty of air mattresses depending on how popular this is.

Would that airplane hangar happen to be next to a private/public airport?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 17:23 (3393 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Would that airplane hangar happen to be next to a private/public airport?

It sure is!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 17:30 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Oooh! We may fly and park there!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 17:38 (3393 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Oooh! We may fly and park there!

You could literally land (on the paved, 3200ft runway) in the backyard and park your plane inside the hangar if you'd like!! (assuming your plane isn't bigger than a Beech Baron)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 18:15 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

W00t! Weather permitting we'll try to come.

Wow. TIL this is a thing!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 19:16 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Airparks

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 07:39 (3392 days ago) @ someotherguy

You mean "airparks"? My dream is to someday own a home on an airpark like this and fly my own airplane out of it.

Airparks

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 17:55 (3392 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Yeah, I'd never heard of such a thing before. Sounds pretty cool.

Also you own a plane. Double cool!

Airparks

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 18:37 (3392 days ago) @ someotherguy

Yeah, I'd never heard of such a thing before. Sounds pretty cool.

Also you own a plane. Double cool!

Not yet, I'm renting at the moment. (Though I get a really good deal through my employer so it's probably cheaper than owning right now.) I'm hoping to get one in a few years though!

Airparks

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:36 (3392 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I may have missed it, but what type of plane is she?

Airparks

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:46 (3392 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

I'm planning on flying a Piper Archer II.

Airparks

by LauraPalmer, Friday, January 30, 2015, 09:58 (3391 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

My dad flew a Piper Cub and a Cessna 172.

Airparks

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, January 30, 2015, 10:35 (3391 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

I did my primary training in a 172. I like low wing aircraft better though. Also, whoever thought that airplanes should have yokes instead of sticks is sadly mistaken. I wish all airplanes had sticks!

Airparks

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 30, 2015, 12:54 (3391 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I did my primary training in a 172. I like low wing aircraft better though. Also, whoever thought that airplanes should have yokes instead of sticks is sadly mistaken. I wish all airplanes had sticks!

A family friend owns a 172. His wife would only let him even train if he got the 172 (best safety record) with a BRS (ballistic recovery system, basically a parachute for the whole plane for those unfamiliar). He jokes his 18 year old son can fly it better than he can drive.

Airparks

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, January 30, 2015, 13:08 (3391 days ago) @ Xenos

BRS (ballistic recovery system, basically a parachute for the whole plane for those unfamiliar)

Ya know, now that I've heard of this, it seems like something every plane should have.

Not that useful

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, January 30, 2015, 13:30 (3391 days ago) @ stabbim

Although they have been used to save lives, there are that many emergencies where the system is all that useful. Basically you either don't have wings or the actual pilot is incapcitated. Airplanes fly just fine without an engine and you can usually find a safe place to land. Plus as far as I know most aircraft are too big for such a system to actually work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_Recovery_Systems

It's kind of funny, but many of the aircraft with the most "safety" systems actually have the worst accident track records. Probably because most aircraft accidents are the result of the pilot doing something when he knew better.

Not that useful

by LauraPalmer, Friday, January 30, 2015, 13:59 (3391 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Pilot error is quite common to cause an accident, and not the whistles and bells not working proper. A few people have crash landed their lil Cubs at the airport my dad learned to fly at because of doing something they should have known better than to do. It wasn't many (if I recall, the two years he was there, 3 people crash landed (seriously, check your wheels), and 1 plane plain crashed because of bad weather). Just relying on instruments isn't enough, ya know?

Not that useful

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 30, 2015, 14:48 (3391 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

Pilot error is quite common to cause an accident, and not the whistles and bells not working proper. A few people have crash landed their lil Cubs at the airport my dad learned to fly at because of doing something they should have known better than to do. It wasn't many (if I recall, the two years he was there, 3 people crash landed (seriously, check your wheels), and 1 plane plain crashed because of bad weather). Just relying on instruments isn't enough, ya know?

Also, in the incidents where the pilot did do everything right, a BRS usually won't help much (like the bad weather you mentioned).

Not that useful

by LauraPalmer, Friday, January 30, 2015, 15:39 (3391 days ago) @ Xenos

+1

Also, now all I can see is Jimmy Stewart in 'Flight of the Phoenix', with his voice over going "...pilot error."

Not that useful

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 30, 2015, 16:00 (3391 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

I'll never be a pilot. I learn best by my mistakes.

Mistakes

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, January 30, 2015, 16:41 (3391 days ago) @ Kermit

Mistakes are ok as long as they are not deadly. Or illegal.

A Positive Tentative.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 21:12 (3393 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Man, Dallas is the closest place to where I live--I SO WANT TO GO!

Couple of questions--

1. Documentation--I'd love to bring my capture card, but that also would mean I'd have to bring my computer. So that's probably a very understandable 'no' from you. Do you have any plans to capture footage, either in-game or IRL? I'm definitely bringing my phone and probably a throwaway digital for something like this first time. Any strategies for that? If so, what? If not, can any other attendees do something? I'm sorry to be imposing already, but I'm a HUGE film buff and I wanna DO STUFF!! This is EXCITING!!

2. Food--Again, sorry for the imposition, but I'm unfortunately a pretty picky eater. Immature, I know. I don't want to hurt the feelings of you or anyone else who home-cooked, so is there a dark, festered corner where I can order Domino's in shame?
2a.--I HIGHLY doubt I can pay for anyone else's order on top of my own, so is splitting payments okay?
2b.--After we Raid Crota's Lair, can we Raid a Denny's? At like...3 in the morning? ;-)

3. Housing--I'll have an air mattress, but I'm told I snore. And possibly this. I don't have a lapse cam, so I don't know. I'll probably have to sleep in this hangar (?!?) you speak of--hoping there's another fetid corner.

4. Technology--What do I bring? Consoles? I got two. System link cables? I don't, but I've heard of places that loan 'em out. I've got like, 10 copies of Halo. XD My Destiny copies unfortunately are digital. Controllers? (sigh) Pretty much all of them are broken. Anything else I need to bring to help?

5. Parking--I'm going to be driving, so is this a cul-de-sac deal, or a different scenario?

6. Wi-Fi--Oui?

7. Pets--I'm gonna try my best to keep him here, but if I can't, is it okay to bring my dog? He's only 30 pounds and he can stay outside if necessary.

8. OTHER games--God, there are so many achievements I need that depend on local play that I can't get at home (i.e. no friends). Can I (and any others of us) take care of that here? If so, I can help, too!

I'm PRETTY sure I'll be able to make this. You can put my name down, but use an erasable pen just in case.

Super excited about it!!

A Positive Tentative.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 08:53 (3392 days ago) @ Morpheus

Man, Dallas is the closest place to where I live--I SO WANT TO GO!

Couple of questions--

1. Documentation--I'd love to bring my capture card, but that also would mean I'd have to bring my computer. So that's probably a very understandable 'no' from you. Do you have any plans to capture footage, either in-game or IRL? I'm definitely bringing my phone and probably a throwaway digital for something like this first time. Any strategies for that? If so, what? If not, can any other attendees do something? I'm sorry to be imposing already, but I'm a HUGE film buff and I wanna DO STUFF!! This is EXCITING!!

I can't think of any reason why I would object to you bringing your own capture equipment and computer. I don't have any capture equipment myself, but I am all in favor of having this thing be documented in various formats. I plan on taking pictures and maybe some video - but even then I'm pretty bad about remembering to do that kind of stuff since I'm a "live in the moment" kind of person. I would LOVE to have someone film portions of the weekend and edit it into a great video to remember it by.

2. Food--Again, sorry for the imposition, but I'm unfortunately a pretty picky eater. Immature, I know. I don't want to hurt the feelings of you or anyone else who home-cooked, so is there a dark, festered corner where I can order Domino's in shame?
2a.--I HIGHLY doubt I can pay for anyone else's order on top of my own, so is splitting payments okay?
2b.--After we Raid Crota's Lair, can we Raid a Denny's? At like...3 in the morning? ;-)

Once we have a solid list of who is coming (sometime in the next couple weeks) I plan on sending out a survey that will cover a variety of topics - most important of which will include dietary restrictions and preferences. If certain people want to be completely on their own food-wise I understand and can support that. In general, I intend to come up with a list of sodas and snacks evreybody likes that I will get at Costco in advance of everyone coming (that all those who partake of will share the cost). As far as meals - it will probably include pizzas and tacos and such - maybe some homemade meals if anyone has something they would particularly like to cook for the group. Dennys/Ihop runs are definitely a possibility as well -- only caveat being that restaurants (of any kind really) are about a 10-15 minute drive from the house.

3. Housing--I'll have an air mattress, but I'm told I snore. And possibly this. I don't have a lapse cam, so I don't know. I'll probably have to sleep in this hangar (?!?) you speak of--hoping there's another fetid corner.

I snore as well and I imagine we won't be the only two. The house has four bedrooms, plus an office in the hangar (that includes a bathroom and shower). Between a king bed, queen bed, full bed, twin bed, and several air mattresses of various sizes, I'm sure we'll be able to sort an arrangement that keeps everybody happy and comfortable. Heck, we have a few tents and an acre-large backyard if things get really crazy! :-D

4. Technology--What do I bring? Consoles? I got two. System link cables? I don't, but I've heard of places that loan 'em out. I've got like, 10 copies of Halo. XD My Destiny copies unfortunately are digital. Controllers? (sigh) Pretty much all of them are broken. Anything else I need to bring to help?

This is going to be the biggest question I have as well. Once we have our list of attendees and their activity preferences and tech they can bring, we'll be able to get down to the details of who is bringing what and what (if anything) still needs to be sourced.

5. Parking--I'm going to be driving, so is this a cul-de-sac deal, or a different scenario?

The houses in the neighborhood are all on 1-acre lots so there is plenty of room for parking. We often have a dozen different cars parked all over the (massive) driveway and grass when we have game nights.

6. Wi-Fi--Oui?

There is of course Wi-Fi and it's a pretty good connection for the most part. It's not google fiber or anything, but it should be fine for our needs.

7. Pets--I'm gonna try my best to keep him here, but if I can't, is it okay to bring my dog? He's only 30 pounds and he can stay outside if necessary.

It would definitely be best if you can manage to come without the dog, but a (smallish) portion of the backyard is fenced, so we could probably make it work if you had to bring him. (There is swimming pool inside the fenced portion, I don't know whether that would matter or not...?) My brother doesn't have pets so I'm not sure whether he would care if there were a dog inside or not.

8. OTHER games--God, there are so many achievements I need that depend on local play that I can't get at home (i.e. no friends). Can I (and any others of us) take care of that here? If so, I can help, too!

Potentially. I am definitely interested to hear back from everyone that is coming about what they would like to do.

I'm PRETTY sure I'll be able to make this. You can put my name down, but use an erasable pen just in case.

Super excited about it!!

Cool, I hope you can make it!

A Positive Tentative.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 11:51 (3392 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This is going to be the biggest question I have as well. Once we have our list of attendees and their activity preferences and tech they can bring, we'll be able to get down to the details of who is bringing what and what (if anything) still needs to be sourced.

If I do end up participating in this thing, feel free to tap me as a resource on this part.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:44 (3392 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Gonna toss my hat (tenatively) in the ring too. As a heathen, that weekend works really well, but might be tight on funds depending on when the move home to Cleveland happens.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:32 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Gonna toss my hat (tenatively) in the ring too. As a heathen, that weekend works really well, but might be tight on funds depending on when the move home to Cleveland happens.

Just think, you're that much closer to OhioLan 2.0

:D

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:34 (3392 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:59 (3392 days ago) @ Revenant1988

So that's what you're calling your wedding?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 11:20 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

So that's what you're calling your wedding?

Hah, maybe I'll make it my bachelor party too.

No strippers at any of the other LANS or HBOMBs yet, I think.

Unless they were there own strippers.

Oh god.

WHY DID I THINK THAT. THAT IMAGE.

NOOOO

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 12:55 (3392 days ago) @ Revenant1988

happy birthday mr. president

Sang by Paddy.....

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:11 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

nude

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:43 (3392 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:43 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Cool, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Make that two?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:45 (3392 days ago) @ Speedracer513

My wife wants in on the action!

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:48 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I was just going to ask if I could go with you. Or stay home.

Make that two?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:32 (3392 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

Please come! It'll be grand.

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:46 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yes dear.

Make that two?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:50 (3392 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

The odds that I attend just got better.

Make that two?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:55 (3392 days ago) @ Kermit

We know you're coming Kermit - you might as well just give in and admit/confirm at this point! ;-)

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:57 (3392 days ago) @ Kermit

:D Glad I could be of service.

Make that two?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 15:02 (3392 days ago) @ Kermit

You sure? She swears more than I do. ;)

Make that two?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 15:26 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You sure? She swears more than I do. ;)

... and even better.

Make that two?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 13:49 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

My wife will be excited not to be the only woman going!

Make that two?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:49 (3392 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I doubt she will be. The population at the LANs I've been to wasn't exactly 50/50, but a pretty decent mix.

Make that two?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:47 (3392 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

How do I upvote things in this forum?

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:50 (3392 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 16:58 (3392 days ago) @ stabbim

It will be interesting to finally see your face!

Make that two?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 18:25 (3392 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

If you go to this one, you are required to go to my next one.

GSML 2015 confirmed

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 18:51 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

GSML 2015 confirmed

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:16 (3392 days ago) @ stabbim

Eh, not so much. This isn't a good year for me to LAN. Maybe next year. I am heading to the Smokies this year, so if you want to spend a few days hiking back in the park with me you're welcome to. Might climb Rocky Top and Thunderhead this summer and Climgmans this fall.

GSML 2015 confirmed

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 30, 2015, 07:23 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

I am heading to the Smokies this year, so if you want to spend a few days hiking back in the park with me you're welcome to.

Wait... where do you plug in your console?

GSML 2015 confirmed

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 30, 2015, 07:43 (3391 days ago) @ Xenos

Really long extension cord.

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:08 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

Me? Well, okay. Sure.

Make that two?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:18 (3392 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

I made him promise to bring you to Nashville. :)

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 19:34 (3392 days ago) @ bluerunner

Is a LAN necessary? Or could I just use the excuse "I've never been there"

Make that two?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 30, 2015, 07:40 (3391 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

No LAN necessary. Always happy to have you visit.

Make that two?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 30, 2015, 09:19 (3391 days ago) @ bluerunner

Don't make a bluerunner a promise if you know you can't keep it.

Make that two?

by LauraPalmer, Friday, January 30, 2015, 09:55 (3391 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

This is one promise I can keep. The only one, really.

Make that two?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 30, 2015, 11:52 (3391 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

This is one promise I can keep. The only one, really.

With you, I'll take what I can get.

Screw That--I'M GOING!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, January 30, 2015, 20:03 (3391 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Write it in blood or Sharpie or something permanent! I'm gonna be there!!

Screw That--I'M GOING!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, January 30, 2015, 22:48 (3391 days ago) @ Morpheus

Cool!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 30, 2015, 22:38 (3391 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I got the time off today, so put me in the "Most likely going" category.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, January 30, 2015, 22:47 (3391 days ago) @ Xenos

I got the time off today, so put me in the "Most likely going" category.

YAY!!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread