Is Crota Hard Mode ultimately worth the trouble? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 09:59 (3374 days ago)

I love Raids in Destiny; I love the challenge, the frustration, and the ultimate feeling of empowerment that comes from mastering such difficult encounters. I'm looking forward to beating Crota's End on hard mode for the personal sense of accomplishment. But Speedracer said something during the Crota battle last night that stuck with me:

"I don't know if we can run this weekly".

I had joined the group late; they had already been stuck on the hard-mode Crota battle for a few hours when I got online. We tried a couple strategies (the "center window", "under the boomer tower") and time and again we were thwarted by seemingly random occurrences. I could be wrong, but this battle doesn't feel like something that can be mastered. It feels like you can perform the same actions 5 times in a row and get completely different results each time. That's not "challenging", it's frustrating as hell.

Aside from the many glitches that seem to occur during the final battle, I believe the big problem is Crota himself. He is just too wildly unpredictable. His aggro & behaviors are all over the map. Sometimes you can stand 30 feet away and he'll just stare at you. Other times if you get within 50 feet he'll charge and take out your entire group with 1 swing.

The Vault of Glass had its share of glitches as well, but virtually every glitch could be countered or avoided. Only 1 person got teleported? Open the portal and send backup. Bumping the relic holder causes his shield to drop? Don't bump the relic holder. But with Crota, I feel like I'm just throwing heavy ammo synths in the trash every time we go up against him. Too many random elements that can't be countered or avoided, all of which are instant team-wipes. Sword vanished? You're fucked. Thrawl killed you through a solid wall? You're fucked. Crota suddenly develops split-personality disorder? You get the idea.

All of this might be worth struggling with if the payouts were really fantastic. But so far, everything I'm hearing is that none of the rewards are particularly worthwhile. General feedback seems to be that the weapons are ok, but nothing is as good as Fatebringer or even Vision of Confluence. And the Necrocasm looks underwhelming at best.

All that being said, I hope some drastic changes are made to clean up this mess of an encounter. As it stands right now, Hard Mode Crota's End is something I'm looking to finish once and than never touch ever again.

Is Crota Hard Mode ultimately worth the trouble?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:04 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't think I was actually the one that first said it, but yeah -- it's frustrating. We beat it last week and shoulda had it a few times last nigh, but I don't know how much "easier/faster" it's going to get until we're over-leveled. This is the big problem with the main point of "hardness" in this raid coming from the "artificial" difficulty of just making us be a level beneath every enemy in the encounter.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:09 (3374 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I don't think I was actually the one that first said it, but yeah -- it's frustrating. We beat it last week and shoulda had it a few times last nigh, but I don't know how much "easier/faster" it's going to get until we're over-leveled. This is the big problem with the main point of "hardness" in this raid coming from the "artificial" difficulty of just making us be a level beneath every enemy in the encounter.

I'm actually ok with that part of it... it's not the level 33 enemies that are killing us. We're dealing with them just fine. It's all the random crap.

That's why I don't actually think being over leveled would help. Crota will still kill us in 1 hit, the sword will still vanish, and we'll still be bleeding heavy ammo :(

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:13 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm actually ok with that part of it... it's not the level 33 enemies that are killing us. We're dealing with them just fine. It's all the random crap.

That's why I don't actually think being over leveled would help. Crota will still kill us in 1 hit, the sword will still vanish, and we'll still be bleeding heavy ammo :(

Yeah, I guess you're right. :-/

by petetheduck, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:48 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

No, but not being under leveled will help.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 11:50 (3374 days ago) @ petetheduck

No, but not being under leveled will help.

Yeah, that - and by being "properly" leveled against Crota it won't take 18 "R2s" to get him down - meaning we'll have a little more margin for error (and even a little extra margin for error in this encounter will make a huge difference).

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:59 (3373 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Or, don't even think of it as margin for error (for the players). Think of it as less opportunities for bugs to occur.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:00 (3373 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, that - and by being "properly" leveled against Crota it won't take 18 "R2s" to get him down - meaning we'll have a little more margin for error (and even a little extra margin for error in this encounter will make a huge difference).

I think I found out why the combo was doing so little damage.

If you go R1 R1 R2 quickly, you won't smash, but continue the combo. This is bad. You have to go R1 R1 -- R2. Wait just a fraction of a second. Then you get slash slash smash, and then keep smashing and you do tons of damage.

If Cyber (or I, lol) can get this down, then our first method will have much more room for error. I would like to try Korny's safe method however, as it is probably better.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:07 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you go R1 R1 R2 quickly, you won't smash, but continue the combo. This is bad.

Actually, a pair of uppercut combos does more damage than 3 smashes. The ideal way to go is 2xUppercut Combo plus 1 smash per down. If you do this you can kill him in 4 downs - 2 swords.

No need for triple downs (and if you do triple down, more margin for error), and the enrage timer starts on the last down, but he dies before he can even stand up - no timing issues with the Oversoul.

Let's try this!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:10 (3373 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:16

I've been reading up. Apparently you can start damaging him the moment his shield drops. You don't have to wait for him to start to kneel.

Looks like it's as follows in terms of damage:

1. 5x Smash
2. 2x Combo + 1 Smash
3. 4x Smash
4. 1x Combo + 2 Smash
5. 2x Combo
6. 3x Smash

Cyber, it looks like doing 2 combos is better than 3 smashes. It should be easier as well as deal more damage!

Let's try this!

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:42 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can cancel the recovery of any sword strike with a sword super btw

Let's try this!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:03 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My group will be trying it tomorrow night. Will let you know how it goes.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:16 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You should practice the C-c-c-c-combo! on the sword of crota story mission.

The whole hard Raid takes about 40 minutes...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:35 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Once you have it down... I ran my alt this morning with a bunch of Randoms cobbled up through DestinyLFG, and we had very little trouble using a combination of tactics... Only one of which our group used the first time.

I actually like the Hard Crota fight, because while the bugs are annoying, you can adapt on-the-fly a lot. You have to. You can use a number of tactics depending on what classes you have, and who is doing what. Sometimes things go south, but you can still recover and adapt.

VoG only had one strategy per area. Only one thing worked, and the trick was staying alive. Now, if the swordbearer is killed, and you survive oversoul, you've got a countdown.

If the sword disappears, the schedule shifts.

If you enrage him a bit too early or too late, you've got a tiny window to drop him a third time...

Each encounter, pulled off right, takes no more than a few minutes, and can be done quickly or slowly depending on planning and execution, unlike VoG, where everything is kind of on a timer...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:43 (3374 days ago) @ Korny

That's encouraging to hear. I really enjoy Crota's End overall, I'm just finding the hard-mode final boss to be a headache in all the wrong ways.

I think the Abyss is really interesting on hard mode. Coming up with a routine of taking turns generating orbs for each other was very satisfying once we got the rhythm down. And the bridge is my favorite encounter in Destiny. I think it's a brilliant piece of game design.

Of all the problems I have with the Crota battle, the heavy ammo bug is perhaps the most frustrating. It puts a weight on everyone's shoulders that can be pretty demoralizing as things go wrong.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:01 (3374 days ago) @ Korny

If the sword disappears how are you getting enough hits in before the enrage timer triggers? Maybe my team is too cautious after the Ogres, but we only have enough time for 3 swords before Enrage.

You sure you weren't with the X1 raid group last week?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 10:53 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I love Raids in Destiny; I love the challenge, the frustration, and the ultimate feeling of empowerment that comes from mastering such difficult encounters. I'm looking forward to beating Crota's End on hard mode for the personal sense of accomplishment. But Speedracer said something during the Crota battle last night that stuck with me:

I had joined the group late; they had already been stuck on the hard-mode Crota battle for a few hours when I got online. We tried a couple strategies (the "center window", "under the boomer tower") and time and again we were thwarted by seemingly random occurrences. I could be wrong, but this battle doesn't feel like something that can be mastered. It feels like you can perform the same actions 5 times in a row and get completely different results each time. That's not "challenging", it's frustrating as hell.

Aside from the many glitches that seem to occur during the final battle, I believe the big problem is Crota himself. He is just too wildly unpredictable. His aggro & behaviors are all over the map. Sometimes you can stand 30 feet away and he'll just stare at you. Other times if you get within 50 feet he'll charge and take out your entire group with 1 swing.

You basically expressed our grievances to the point of being verbatim, sans a few swear words for effect.

Meh. *long-ish*

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 12:00 (3374 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If you stop at the Deathsinger, the whole encounter is fun and there are cool drops to be had.

If you decide to carry on to Crota...I don't know. I flushed about 20,000 glimmer down the toilet in the form of heavy ammo synths. After flying through the first part of the raid in an hour and a half, I ran face first into a Crota shaped wall and proceeded to smash my head against that wall for about 15 hours over the course of a week, making absolutely no progress. After putting in another four hours on Monday in a last-ditch effort to score the win before the reset, our team gave up a little after midnight.

Putting in so much time, effort, and resources and still falling short is pretty damned depressing. I tried to go to bed and put the whole experience behind me, but I couldn't sleep. I had to get up and give it another go.

I jumped into a group of fellow raid n00bs from Destiny LFG, showed them the method that had almost worked a dozen or more times for our earlier group, and 45 minutes later, I had a new shader and a new toy (but still no raid helmet).

The shader looks awful on Titans (but is pretty cool on Hunters), but the scout rifle is pretty sweet. If nothing else, being able to basically put a flare on the Swordbearer's head with the Target Mark perk will be pretty useful. No more playing hide and seek for that jerk.

But was it worth the headache? I really don't know. The most telling part was probably that, for seemingly everyone in the group, instead of a feeling of accomplishment, it was a feeling of "Thank God that's over with!" and most vowed never to do it again (though, you can see how that worked out for me.)

tl;dr If you stop at the deathsinger, it's absolutely worth it. If you decide to carry on, prepare to start wishing Bungie had included an "assume the fetal position" emote*.

-Disciple

*Credit to someone from the raid group, I think either INSANEdrive or ChrisTheeCrappy, for that wonderful image :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:09 (3373 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

One day we will. Strategies get better, and in March we'll be able to hit 34. Even so, Korny seems to imply that he's found an easier way to do it.

Look at it like a challenge. Remember when I said the Vault of Glass would be super mega hard to even finish?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:13 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Except at the time, you were underlevelled and had all blue guns, right?

At this point we're at max level, with no room for further progress, and some of the best guns in the game. And it's still a nightmare.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:18 (3373 days ago) @ someotherguy

It does feel like the hardest part is the things that happen, if not at random, not as a result of anything we do or do not do. I don't remember that feeling with VoG. But I also have wondered if all this will seem old hat once we get it down.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:23 (3373 days ago) @ Vortech

It does feel like the hardest part is the things that happen, if not at random, not as a result of anything we do or do not do.

This is what makes it so damn frustrating and disheartening. I feel like our failures are not because we are not executing -- it's just kind of a crapshoot whether things (mostly outside our control) will go off without a hitch.

Not having even tried it,

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 13:17 (3373 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It'll probably be a lot less of a nightmare when the issues get worked out, at least some of the more egregious ones.

I imagine Bungie's working on them, and hopefully can make some progress.

The easy way

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 20:24 (3373 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just completed the Hard mode raid. The following strategy is MUCH easier than what we attempted last night. I have no doubt we can make this a regular thing even before we hit 33.

It's the same, using the middle except that you only down Crota twice.

After the second round of swords, run under the right tower. Get on top of a door, and kill the first ogre. Then snipe the second.

Go back up and wait in the crystal room. We waited until he rotated back mid a second time to be safe.

Then do another round of the sword, and you have him.

I was the sword bearer, and here are my tips if you are a hunter:

All the various ways to go invisible have separate cooldowns. So, I supered and used vanish before picking up the sword, which was enough time to be invisible until you attack Crota the first time. Then blink strike to go invisible again. After that, run under the tower, crouch to go invisible, then run back up to the crystal room.

If you use R2, it is 14 hits to enrage. That means you want to do 13 hits in two rounds. So that's 3 x 3 and 1 x 4 which is not to difficult. Just be sure to count.

I'll upload a video, but guys this strat has much much more room for error. Munky was right!

The easy way

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 21:25 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'll upload a video, but guys this strat has much much more room for error. Munky was right!

http://youtu.be/R7y8rdBZOfU

The easy way

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 05:24 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is pretty much exactly how we've been doing it.

Worth noting that you can quite comfortable just get 3 R2s in each time. You'll still have enough time to kill him after enrage. Safer your way though

Question for Cody on this strat

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 06:28 (3373 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As a fellow hunter, I was curious to see you had Mask of the Third man, but didn't use it. I know it has a boost to melee speed, which would seem to make it ideal as the sword bearer against Crota. Its the main reason I want to get this helmet. I'm curious why you choose to use the other helmet instead.

Also, nice job not freaking out on your last sword run in that video when the gatekeeper came out of nowhere and got that hit on you.

Question for Cody on this strat

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:17 (3373 days ago) @ Mariachi

As a fellow hunter, I was curious to see you had Mask of the Third man, but didn't use it. I know it has a boost to melee speed, which would seem to make it ideal as the sword bearer against Crota. Its the main reason I want to get this helmet. I'm curious why you choose to use the other helmet instead.

Also, nice job not freaking out on your last sword run in that video when the gatekeeper came out of nowhere and got that hit on you.

Mask of the third man is great because you regen health on orbs… BUT mine tops out at 30 light as I got it before the DLC. So wearing it would make me a level 31. That's why I put it on to pick up orbs, then take it right back off gain. Believe me, if Xur sells the helmet or the upgrade I am buying it immediately.

Following up

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 08:53 (3373 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So the PS4 crew beat Crota last night. We used a hybrid method combining the center window strategy with the "right tower during ogres" strategy.

A few points about the experience:

* We were very lucky in terms of avoiding any bugs. Nothing crazy or unpredictable happened.
* Without getting wiped by random bugs, this encounter is in fact a lot of fun.
* Every time we wiped, it felt like it was our fault. When we succeeded, it felt like we had won (rather than simply lucking our way through)

As a reward, I got the Scout Rifle. So far, I'm liking it a lot. Might even replace Fatebringer as my go-to primary.

My takeaway from last night is that the Crota hard mode fight CAN be a great amount of fun. If Bungie can eliminate at least some of the bugs from the encounter, it will make a big difference.

Following up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:20 (3373 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So the PS4 crew beat Crota last night. We used a hybrid method combining the center window strategy with the "right tower during ogres" strategy.

A few points about the experience:

* We were very lucky in terms of avoiding any bugs. Nothing crazy or unpredictable happened.
* Without getting wiped by random bugs, this encounter is in fact a lot of fun.
* Every time we wiped, it felt like it was our fault. When we succeeded, it felt like we had won (rather than simply lucking our way through)

As a reward, I got the Scout Rifle. So far, I'm liking it a lot. Might even replace Fatebringer as my go-to primary.

My takeaway from last night is that the Crota hard mode fight CAN be a great amount of fun. If Bungie can eliminate at least some of the bugs from the encounter, it will make a big difference.

Your old strategy involving 3 downs might still be feasible if we are feeling risky and you have me as a blade dancer and a sword carrier. It is much much easier to get 4 smashes in when you can wait next to Crota invisible, so you can have some wiggle room, or at least always get 3.

Franky Cyber is amazing for doing it without stealth!

Obvious solution to kneeling problems

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:56 (3373 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

make your sword bearer host. Just read this on reddit. I feel stupid for not thinking of this.

If the sword bearer is host, you will have less chance of crota kneeling late, or getting up early. i guess it would fix health/shield regen problems too.

Not So Obvious

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 10:11 (3373 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

make your sword bearer host. Just read this on reddit. I feel stupid for not thinking of this.

If the sword bearer is host, you will have less chance of crota kneeling late, or getting up early. i guess it would fix health/shield regen problems too.

This works in theory, but not practice.

The only way to guarantee that someone pulls network host is to join their game in progress. Destiny re-evaluates and can re-assign host every time a new instance is loaded/reloaded (Ex. After a wipe)

This isn't feasible in hard-mode, because when you join in on a hard raid instance in progress, you are dead and cannot be revived.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread