The Sunsinger: Perspective from a PvP Gunslinger (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:16 (3346 days ago)

So I finally leveled up a Warlock to 20 this past weekend, and I've been PvPing with it a bit now that I'm level 26 (I had Apothesis Veil, Legendary gloves and chest in the bank - and I'm still wearing level 18 green boots. It's like a microcosm of the loot RNG problems in Destiny). I'm admittedly not very good at Sunsinger. I miss my reload speed perks from my Hunter, I mis-judge how far my melee attack will reach, and I'm really not sure I've got the best perks chosen (I haven't even unlocked half of them, anyway). And my favorite PvP weapons are all on my Hunter, so I'm scraping by with un-leveled second choice arms (seriously, the rocket launcher I have doesn't kill with a direct hit. W T F).

That being said, Sunsinger feels like cheating to me. This is despite me barely eking out a 1.0+ K/D in most games. The melee is like always having a shotgun at the ready. The grenade is usually very effective. The super is literally superman mode. I never miss my jumps anymore. I have enough armor to survive most 1v1 encounters. My health regenerates instantly. I can melee for more shield. And so forth. I even drop more orbs for my buddies and make their cooldowns go faster.

It's all fairly disgusting.

As a hunter, I'm used to winning 1v1 by the skin of my teeth, or trading kills. I spend a lot of time crouching behind walls, waiting for my health to return. I pop my super and am immediately killed half the time. My grenade is just as likely to kill me as my enemy. And I'm a damn good hunter, routinely earning The Best... Around and On the Bright Side.

The balance, near as I can tell, comes from the fact that hunter perks make their weapons more effective. More stable with faster reloads. When my hunter gets rolling with full stacks of buffs, i just wade through the enemy, and I can do that every life, regardless of whether my super is up or not. The warlock, on the other hand, feels sluggish. My reloads take forever (could also be my weapons). But when Warlock super is up, I'm Captain Amazeballs. Situations I'd NEVER get into as a hunter (5 enemies on a flag), I'll wade right into with radiance going (and I'll win).

It's freaky to see how the other half lives. I'm a little scared that if I shuttle my good weapons over the lock, I'll never want to go back. This class is cheating.

The Sunsinger: Perspective from a PvP Gunslinger

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 14:28 (3346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Once you master the firebolt grenade, no one is ever really beyond your reach.

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 15:27 (3346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hunter just might not suit you. It's at its best with long range encounters since it is inferior up close. Your K/D is 1.1, which isn't bad. However, as you mentioned, you're definitely getting terrible use out of your golden gun. You have 7300 kills and only 242 golden gun kills. For comparison, I have 2300 kills and 505 golden gun kills. I think you'd really benefit from a couple things:

- Use Symbiote? The 4th golden gun shot makes a huge difference. You can fire faster without worrying that you'll "waste" a shot.
- Don't use your super unless you have some space around you. It's good to have a little red on your radar, but don't pop it if you can actually see anyone.
- Your #1 weapon is auto rifle, which is the opposite of golden gun. Have you tried hand cannons in the crucible? Perhaps you should practice with Devil You Know or Thorn to improve your super use. Both are fantastic crucible guns.

by Kahzgul, Friday, January 30, 2015, 13:10 (3345 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Hahahahaha!

Hunter suits me just fine, sir. Just fine. I spend a lot of time leveling up guns rather than playing "for serious" which is why my lifetime K/D isn't so high. I've also been trying to get better at blade dancer, as I think blink provides a major advantage in pvp. When I do play for real, I'm using a Shadow Price with Outlaw, Field Scout, and Reactive Reload. Basically a perfect roll, hence the heavy use of Autorifles.

But if you want to parse numbers, I'm still averaging 3,087 points per game, where - for comparison's sake - you are averaging 2845. So I'm doing just fine. I couldn't see where you pulled the golden gun kills vs. other ability kills stat from (I show over 2000 kills from abilities, but I know a ton of those are tripmine grenades (I run with Lucky Raspberry to get a fresh 'nade on respawn), but GG is certainly an ability I could use more often if I was using it for kills, but I tend to save it for popping Titan bubbles (also results in fewer kills since 2 shots go to the bubble every time).

--

My point here was that, despite being a pretty good PvP hunter, and a pretty bad PvP Warlock, the Sunsinger still feels way more powerful than the hunter. It's weird, because I don't do nearly as well, but I feel stronger. Which probably leads me into more vulnerable situations because I think I'm indestructible.

by DreadPirateWes, Sunday, February 01, 2015, 00:35 (3344 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Sorry, destinydb seems to have failed me! The number of special kills must not have refreshed or something. Last time I looked it only said that 200+ total for your super kills. Now it says 1100+, so our averages aren't so different after all.

I got my golden gun kills total because I never play bladedancer (less than 25 kills, for sure). I like to stay far away! My warlock is only level 3, but I'll be taking him to the crucible one of these days. I wonder if I'll have the feeling of strength too. I've always thought the characters are too similar, so kind of excited to see!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread