Here's an idea (regarding armor upgrades) (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 15:30 (3377 days ago)

Right now, the only way to hit max level is to play the top-level raid and earn the exclusive raid armor, then spend radiant materials upgrading that armor. As we've discussed many times, this leads to several problems.

* Only 1 way to hit max level, therefore all max level players are using the same set of armor (with exotics adding only slight variations).

* Both the armor itself and the currency needed to upgrade it can only be earned through random drops. This leads to frustrating situations where players are stuck for weeks or even months hoping to get that last piece of gear they need to level up.

* It makes all previously earned and upgraded armor obsolete.

How about this:

What if Radiant Shards were a material that could be used to upgrade ANY PIECE of legendary armor to increase it's light level? That way, we as players could choose which pieces of armor we upgrade to bring us up to 32. Raid armor could still be a thing; just give it the same light rating as other legendary armor. The bonus perks would still provide incentive for players to use raid armor during the raids, but we wouldn't be trapped within that specific set.

I have roughly 250 pieces of Ascendant energy in the vault which will never get used. With the current system, Radiant shards will suffer a similar fate before too long. Why not give them a purpose and allow us greater flexibility and customization. The raid weapons aren't the only 331 weapons in the game, why should the raid armor be the only way to hit 32?

What do you all think?

Here's an idea (regarding armor upgrades)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:20 (3377 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What if Radiant Shards were a material that could be used to upgrade ANY PIECE of legendary armor to increase it's light level? That way, we as players could choose which pieces of armor we upgrade to bring us up to 32. Raid armor could still be a thing; just give it the same light rating as other legendary armor. The bonus perks would still provide incentive for players to use raid armor during the raids, but we wouldn't be trapped within that specific set.

Let me make sure I'm understanding your idea correctly. Regular gear would use Ascendant Shards to hit their 'max' (currently 33 light/level 31), and then from there you would use Radiant Shards (obtained from any raid?) to take them beyond to current level cap (36 light/level 32). Raid gear would only take Radiant Shards to hit their max (36 light/level32).

Would I be able to take regular gear forward again to the next level cap with House of Wolves? How about my Crota Raid gear?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:23 (3377 days ago) @ dogcow

Let me make sure I'm understanding your idea correctly. Regular gear would use Ascendant Shards to hit their 'max' (currently 33 light/level 31), and then from there you would use Radiant Shards (obtained from any raid?) to take them beyond to current level cap (36 light/level 32). Raid gear would only take Radiant Shards to hit their max (36 light/level32).

Would I be able to take regular gear forward again to the next level cap with House of Wolves? How about my Crota Raid gear?

ok, upon re-reading it looks like my understanding was incorrect. Raid armor would have the same light rating as other legendary armor? what exactly is its current upgrade path? how about after the level cap is raised?

I think I like my misunderstanding better. ;)

Your misunderstanding was correct lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:26 (3377 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

I like it! ;)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:28 (3377 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:30 (3377 days ago) @ dogcow

I think the gist of the proposal is that you can use any piece of legendary armour to hit max level. Raid-themed armour still drops, and has perks that make it beneficial to use during raids, but its default stats aren't superior to other armour.

Presumably, each time a new expansion comes out, three new upgrade nodes (or something similar) are added to allow you to keep upgrading your armour to reach whatever the new Light cap is, and those nodes will require some form of Radiant shards.

This is exactly what I had in mind, explained better :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 18:19 (3377 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 18:25 (3377 days ago) @ CyberKN

I think the gist of the proposal is that you can use any piece of legendary armour to hit max level. Raid-themed armour still drops, and has perks that make it beneficial to use during raids, but its default stats aren't superior to other armour.

This bit right here is the part to focus on. The specifics of which type of shards are needed at which stage don't really affect the overall proposal much.

TBH, this idea of being able to upgrade any legendary armor to raid armor light levels seems so obvious now that Cruel's said it, that I wonder why this isn't just the way the game is already. Maybe when the next expansion rolls around.

People have been suggesting this since before TDB hit.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 18:47 (3377 days ago) @ stabbim

Why Bungie went the way they did is anyone's guess.

They don't seem to be very interested in explaining the reasoning behind their design decisions when challenged (Unless it's a cheese removal, in which case the stock line seems to be "This isn't the way we intended our game to be played")

It's sad, because it makes the cynics look correct.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:25 (3377 days ago) @ dogcow

When the next raid comes out, it will introduce a new material which could be used to take our gear up to the new level cap.

I'm generally not a fan of all the many currencies in the game, but at least this way we could invest them however we see fit, rather than using them for 1 specific set of armor which then becomes useless a couple months later.

by sario, Between a rock and a crazy place, Wednesday, February 04, 2015, 16:50 (3377 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

When the next raid comes out, it will introduce a new material which could be used to take our gear up to the new level cap.

I'm generally not a fan of all the many currencies in the game, but at least this way we could invest them however we see fit, rather than using them for 1 specific set of armor which then becomes useless a couple months later.

What if instead of a new currencies, each expansion brings new sets of legendary gear that all have the same light level potential, and make only the new raid(s) drop ascendant/radiant materials. You could make the second to last upgrade node require a ascendant (dropped from normal mode raid) and the last node require a radiant (dropped from hard mode). That way legendary gear from any source(raid, crucible, factions) can have different looks and perks, but all of it can get you to max level.

Another idea:

by TheGhostBrigade, Thursday, February 05, 2015, 07:31 (3377 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What if the various vendors offered "top tier" armor items whenever you did something of considerable skill, such as completing the raid, or performing excellently in the iron banner? Doing either would grant you what amounts to a redeemable ticket for armor from any vendor in the tower that you have enough rep with. This would mean there would still be a clear ascetic difference between normal legendary items and "Raid gear" but there would be significantly more variety, and not to mention less RNG frustration. Although perhaps you only get the ticket at the same rate that you would get any armor normally.

I haven't participated in the Iron Banner much, but perhaps to account for this it could become a permanent fixture of the tower, and ranking up your rep with it earns you tickets.

This also makes the factions more relevant, since you might like a Dead Orbit raid helmet more than a vanguard one, ect.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 05, 2015, 09:51 (3377 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I like it.

I'll add that the best PvP armor in the game should come from PvP rewards, and not from raids.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 05, 2015, 14:39 (3376 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'll add that the best PvP armor in the game should come from PvP rewards, and not from raids.

I keep hearing this, but as I don't touch PvP I don;t understand what people mean. What about the raid armor makes it better for PvP? Aside from being able to be 1 level higher in Iron Banner.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, February 05, 2015, 14:41 (3376 days ago) @ stabbim

I keep hearing this, but as I don't touch PvP I don;t understand what people mean. What about the raid armor makes it better for PvP? Aside from being able to be 1 level higher in Iron Banner.

One thing in particular, is the special weapon loader perk, which is not on any vendor gear. There are also some extra heavy weapon perks that only show up on the exotics/raid gear, which are extremely helpful in crucible.

Brilliant!

by digital_ronin, Thursday, February 05, 2015, 11:16 (3377 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think this is a great way to go about things. But if ascendant material is needed to reach level 30, then there should be an exchange, like radiant material has.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread