Console blues (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:30 (3382 days ago)

Chat doesn't work for me on the Xbox One except through Kinect or except for a few seconds at a time. And before you start, I've tried everything the internet has said to try with multiple controllers and multiple headsets. I haven't restored factory defaults yet, but that's the only thing I haven't done.

And before Korny tells me what a damn shame it is, I'm not completely happy with the PS4 either. Chat volume can be flakey, and there's the perpetually ejecting disc drive.

Kind of ticked.

=/

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:39 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Having had a lot of trouble with my headset/connection on my first month of One, I can relate to that. Are sure it is not a connection issue? If you are, you could try MS support itself to see if you can get a replacement or something.

=/

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:45 (3382 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, I've had headset problems too, one my headsets the speaker doesn't work, but the mic works fine. I've also noticed that sometimes the mic doesn't work when you join someones party... it's weird.

Get a wii U

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:47 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

No chat.

No problem!

Also Smash and racing!

"I'm using tilt controls!"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:58 (3382 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:57 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

And before Korny tells me what a damn shame it is, I'm not completely happy with the PS4 either. Chat volume can be flakey...

You are literally the only person besides Bones to ever have a problem with the chat system, and that's because you use a third-party headset (Bones' problem had more to do with the fact that he's so technologically derp, that he couldn't figure out how to turn a TV on if he was handed a giant remote with only an "On" button on it).

Here's a crazy idea: Buy a different headset.

o_<

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 09:05 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

I still haven't found that damn 'Any' key, either.

Better get a "Tab" in the meanwhile.

by LostSpartan, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:47 (3382 days ago) @ Bones

- No text -

Don't knock 3rd party headsets!

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 09, 2015, 09:19 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

I use Turtle Beach headsets on both PS4 and Xbone and they're both great. Incredible sound, crystal clear chat.

--

Anyway, Kermit, on Xbone, are you signed up for the system update preview? The February push has a controller update which needs to be done with your headset still attached to your controller. If you haven't done it, that could be contributing to your chat woes.

Settings / Devices and Controllers / Update Controller

You'll need to plug your controller into the xbone via USB in order for it to work, and the controller has that absurdly small super micro USB port which needs a special cable (should have come with your controller).

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:03 (3382 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Anyway, Kermit, on Xbone, are you signed up for the system update preview? The February push has a controller update which needs to be done with your headset still attached to your controller. If you haven't done it, that could be contributing to your chat woes.

Settings / Devices and Controllers / Update Controller

You'll need to plug your controller into the xbone via USB in order for it to work, and the controller has that absurdly small super micro USB port which needs a special cable (should have come with your controller).

Note, the February update has rolled out for the general population now.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:27 (3382 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Yes, I've updated multiple times, with both controllers, the original and a new one, with the Xbox headset attached and with the stereo adapter (for my Astros) attached.

I'm a good, stubborn troubleshooter, who normally doesn't give up until I find the problem. I thought it was the cord, in that at one point I could get the headset to work if I moved the controller to the right, but it wouldn't work when held it in front of me. Then I couldn't replicate that, and the cord to my astros works with the PS4. And the cord explanation doesn't explain why my original headset doesn't work.

I've read through everything I could find on the Microsoft forum. This problem isn't unique, and I tried everything that was said to fix the problem. :(

Let's troubleshoot! Remember to power off and back on...

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:36 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

That was a joke.

Does your chat work normally using the Xbox headset? Or does neither headset work?

If neither headset works with either controller, then I'd contact Microsoft hardware repair and get ready to ship them your console.
If neither headset works with just one controller, then I'd guess the headset jack is damaged on that controller.
If only the Astros don't work on either controller, then I'd guess your Xbox headset adapter is damaged and needs to be replaced.
If only the Astros don't work on just one controller, well, you already said that's not the case.

Let's troubleshoot! Remember to power off and back on...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:09 (3382 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That was a joke.

Does your chat work normally using the Xbox headset? Or does neither headset work?

If neither headset works with either controller, then I'd contact Microsoft hardware repair and get ready to ship them your console.

Yeah, this is where we are, I'm afraid. It's been so hit and miss all along that I've been reluctant to think that it's really broken for good. I had high hopes for this software update.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:13 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

And before Korny tells me what a damn shame it is, I'm not completely happy with the PS4 either. Chat volume can be flakey...

You are literally the only person besides Bones to ever have a problem with the chat system ...

I'm not literally the only person besides Bones--that's just foolish.

Only to have it not work either? My headset costs $250, and it is supposed to be compatible. It's working right now. The disc drive is not trying to eject my disc right now. Messages work sometimes, and the PS4 interface is weird--the store especially (why do they play vidoes in tiny boxes you can't expand?). Luckily for them, Microsoft made a hash of their storefront, too.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:14 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

You are literally the only person besides Bones to ever have a problem with the chat system ...

Statistically speaking, nope. I've never run into a single other person besides you two who had an issue, and I've played with hundreds of people...

Only to have it not work either? My headset costs $250, and it is supposed to be compatible. It's working right now. The disc drive is not trying to eject my disc right now. Messages work sometimes, and the PS4 interface is weird--the store especially (why do they play vidoes in tiny boxes you can't expand?). Luckily for them, Microsoft made a hash of their storefront, too.

Are you okay? you've gone into a full-on curmudgeonly ramble...
I don't see what the price of a third-party headset has anything to do with compatibility. If you are having chat problems across multiple consoles with the same headset, logic dictates that maybe the consoles aren't the issue, especially when their first-party headsets have no issues.

Everything else is an odd ramble. I think you need to take a nap, Kermit. ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:19 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

I don't see what the price of a third-party headset has anything to do with compatibility. If you are having chat problems across multiple consoles with the same headset, logic dictates that maybe the consoles aren't the issue, especially when their first-party headsets have no issues.

I think the point was that it isn't practical to buy another set of Astros just to test.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:36 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

Statistically speaking, nope. I've never run into a single other person besides you two who had an issue, and I've played with hundreds of people...

Are you okay? you've gone into a full-on curmudgeonly ramble...

Your reading comprehension sucks. I have tested multiple headsets.

Everything else is an odd ramble. I think you need to take a nap, Kermit. ;)

Probably.

My larger point is that both consoles have their issues. My Astros work fine with the 360 and PS3. They have not worked fine with the PS4, but they are working at the moment. I bought them not have to buy another headset, and most other gaming headsets I might buy would be a step down, in terms of sound quality.

Your PS4 ain't all that. I probably should have left it alone, but I don't love either console. There are things I like and dislike about each.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:03 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Your reading comprehension sucks.

I do not think that means what you think it means.

I have tested multiple headsets.

You only said that for the Xbone. Which, isn't exactly the ideal way to test a headset, what with the proprietary adapter and all that...

I bought them not have to buy another headset, and most other gaming headsets I might buy would be a step down, in terms of sound quality.

That totally screams "I have tested multiple headsets", I don't know why I could have thought otherwise.

Your PS4 ain't all that. I probably should have left it alone, but I don't love either console. There are things I like and dislike about each.

Stay on one topic, please. That whole ramble has nothing to do with Headset issues on current-gen consoles. Heck, that they work "just fine" on last-gen consoles is borderline irrelevant, since Microsoft requires a proprietary adapter (not guaranteed to work 100%) for this gen, among other required compatibility updates, and who knows what's up on the Sony end other than a potential clash between how the audio works between the game, the system, and the headsets (Destiny has a different way to set up audio than the PS4's mixing, which is a problem compounded by a third-party headset having its own volume settings)...

I think you should buy a Gold headset ($60-$100 depending on deals) for the PS4. It's relatively inexpensive, solid quality, and guaranteed to work (literally guaranteed).
That you complain about "having to step down in quality" is kind of odd, since your current situation is apparently not providing you with an ideal experience. How old is your current headset? They don't last forever, you know.

The last time you were in a party you would bounce between not hearing us, and sounding far away...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:02 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

Your reading comprehension sucks.

I do not think that means what you think it means.

I have tested multiple headsets.

You only said that for the Xbone. Which, isn't exactly the ideal way to test a headset, what with the proprietary adapter and all that...

I bought them not have to buy another headset, and most other gaming headsets I might buy would be a step down, in terms of sound quality.

That totally screams "I have tested multiple headsets", I don't know why I could have thought otherwise.

Stay on one topic, please. That whole ramble has nothing to do with Headset issues on current-gen consoles. Heck, that they work "just fine" on last-gen consoles is borderline irrelevant, since Microsoft requires a proprietary adapter (not guaranteed to work 100%) for this gen, among other required compatibility updates, ...

It's not irrelevant in that I know the headset works. Their adapter is supposed to work. Chat doesn't even work with the default Xbox headset, though.

who knows what's up on the Sony end other than a potential clash between how the audio works between the game, the system, and the headsets (Destiny has a different way to set up audio than the PS4's mixing, which is a problem compounded by a third-party headset having its own volume settings)...

If the manufacturer says it works, it should work, and it does right now.

I think you should buy a Gold headset ($60-$100 depending on deals) for the PS4. It's relatively inexpensive, solid quality, and guaranteed to work (literally guaranteed).

If I wanted to buy a headset that worked with only one system, I would have.

That you complain about "having to step down in quality" is kind of odd, since your current situation is apparently not providing you with an ideal experience. How old is your current headset? They don't last forever, you know.

If chat was all I cared about, I'd buy a cheap Plantonics and be done with it. I've established the headset works. Barring abuse, I'd expect a $250 set up to work for a long while.

The last time you were in a party you would bounce between not hearing us, and sounding far away...

Yeah, well, maybe Sony wants people to have to buy their Gold doohickey, and they're not so eager to support the competition.

Here's the thing, Korny. My headset and chat has worked like a dream for weeks at a time. Switching between consoles has been smooth as better. Then it stops working, then it starts working again. I've spent days of my life troubleshooting this on both consoles since I bought them. It's not knowing when I sit down whether I'm going to have chat tonight that gets me. I'm sick of it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:39 (3382 days ago) @ Korny

Happens to me too. So now you're up to 3.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:42 (3382 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Happens to me too. So now you're up to 3.

Never played with you on PS4, so it's still 2. ;)

It's actually just 1, because the Bones thing was a joke since he simply didn't know how the headset worked, rather than it not working.

Make it 4

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Monday, February 09, 2015, 18:05 (3382 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The fireteam chat sucks on the Xbone. I've had nothing but issues with it. Perfectly open NAT, so no, Xbox support, it's not my network.

Make it 4

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 10:28 (3381 days ago) @ snakegriffin

I think Korny is limiting his comments to the PS4. Let it be said that Playstation is superior but not perfect (for me) when it comes to chat. I should have not confused the issue by bringing up both. The PS4 has issues, but I probably should have not tried to deflect in advance the inevitable snark that was bound to come. I should have just let it happen and ignored it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:24 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Only to have it not work either? My headset costs $250, and it is supposed to be compatible.

You could have gotten Astro A40s for that price, and they work great. There is a chat volume setting in the PS4 menu under audio devices in which you can set that volume of the chat audio. If you are listening to the game audio as well through the headset, you can even balance volume of game audio and chat audio separately using a knob on the mixamp.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:45 (3382 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Only to have it not work either? My headset costs $250, and it is supposed to be compatible.

You could have gotten Astro A40s for that price, and they work great. There is a chat volume setting in the PS4 menu under audio devices in which you can set that volume of the chat audio. If you are listening to the game audio as well through the headset, you can even balance volume of game audio and chat audio separately using a knob on the mixamp.

That's what I have. It's working at the moment, but it hasn't always. The volume has seemed inconsistent.

Do you use the USB or the cord?

Console blues

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:05 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Kerm, I would still swap controllers with you (I have an extra that I only use for PC gaming so the headset adapter port is unused). We would have to meet up on Wednesday, or else you'll have to fly to Pennsylvania to get it (PS I'm moving?)

Console blues

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:08 (3382 days ago) @ JDQuackers

to Pennsylvania to get it (PS I'm moving?)

Oh?

You are going to be in Paddy town, did you know that?

Once he finds out where you live, he'll just walk right in your home. I've experienced it, first hand. Twice.

Howdy neighbor!

Console blues

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:14 (3382 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Once he finds out where you live, he'll just walk right in your home. I've experienced it, first hand. Twice.

And slowly at that, or so I've heard.

Console blues

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:18 (3382 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Are you really moving this week?!

Console blues

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:01 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes! My life since December 15th has been pretty ridiculous, but we're moving on Friday (I'll only be at work Tues and Wed this week). This whole thing was kind of a rush job--we knew we'd move eventually, but things got hurried along as of recent. I'd love to catch up with you before I go. Maybe lunch on Wednesday somewhere around RTP? I'm working down in Morrisville now just south of RTP

Console blues

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:30 (3382 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Yes! My life since December 15th has been pretty ridiculous, but we're moving on Friday (I'll only be at work Tues and Wed this week). This whole thing was kind of a rush job--we knew we'd move eventually, but things got hurried along as of recent. I'd love to catch up with you before I go. Maybe lunch on Wednesday somewhere around RTP? I'm working down in Morrisville now just south of RTP

this is pretty funny because I just spent last weekend checking out places in Raleigh and Durham for a move next month.

Console blues

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:59 (3382 days ago) @ kidtsunami

this is pretty funny because I just spent last weekend checking out places in Raleigh and Durham for a move next month.

Damn. Well I'll still travel here frequently for work, so maybe I'll get to meet the mythical NCSUDuncan afterall...

haha

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:24 (3382 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Damn. Well I'll still travel here frequently for work, so maybe I'll get to meet the mythical NCSUDuncan afterall...

Now I'm confused!

haha

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:28 (3382 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Now I'm confused!

Me too :) I haven't been sleeping much!

So did you find a place? I hope you picked the right city (Durham) ;-)

Woah, small world . . .

by Monochron, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:40 (3382 days ago) @ JDQuackers
edited by Monochron, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:45

Woah, you guys both live around RTP? Me too.

Reading "Morrisville" and "RTP" on this forum is super surreal . . .

Woah, small world . . .

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 13:00 (3382 days ago) @ Monochron

Woah, you guys both live around RTP? Me too.

Reading "Morrisville" and "RTP" on this forum is super surreal . . .

There's quite a few NC people in this forum. I don't know where Duncan lives these days, but the NCSU in his name isn't a coincidence :)

Console blues

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:46 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Not always ideal, but the PS4 chat volume & sound quality is way better when you enter a party. The party system uses a much better audio codec for voice chat. That's why I always start a party for our raid groups: so I can hear everyone more clearly.

You probably already tried it but . . .

by Monochron, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:37 (3382 days ago) @ Kermit

Put your console in a DMZ? I assume if you already tried everything the internet suggested then you tried that or you otherwise can't do DMZ for one reason or another. But if not, it can usually fix mic issues and the like.

You probably already tried it but . . .

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 13:16 (3382 days ago) @ Monochron

Put your console in a DMZ? I assume if you already tried everything the internet suggested then you tried that or you otherwise can't do DMZ for one reason or another. But if not, it can usually fix mic issues and the like.

To clarify, Monochron's talking about using the DMZ function on your router to forward all incoming connections to the console (you'd have to try the XBone and PS4 one at a time). If it's a networking problem, this is a good troubleshooting step, just don't leave DMZ enabled permanently.

Speaking of which

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:38 (3382 days ago) @ stabbim

Both the Xbone and PS4 want port 80 forwarded to them, so if you're using port forwarding for either console, it can screw up the other one, even if that second console is in a DMZ. A house with two consoles shouldn't port forward. it's sad, really. I wish the console manufacturers would get together and decide on which ports to use and make those exclusive to each console.

Speaking of which

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:56 (3382 days ago) @ Kahzgul

An easier solution is to simply make use of UPnP. Something the 360 did beautifully, but the XBone craps out on, at least with the router I WAS using when I first got it.

An UPnP router works wonder, as long as you reset it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:20 (3382 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

An UPnP router works wonder, as long as you reset it

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 15:44 (3382 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not with what I was running. It wasn't the UPnP specifically that was failing, the XBone just wouldn't operate from behind that router under any circumstance. I tried port forwarding, etc. Even tried manually creating NAT rules. It did not work, period. There is no possible solution that I didn't already try.

I had persistent problems with joining games and XBL parties. Specifically, I could not host anything - I could join, as long as someone else in the group had what their XBone considered to be "open" NAT. This was a major problem because the one person I tended to play Forza with a lot had a router which constantly needed rebooted in order to be "open." It would work immediately after a reboot, but I few days later we'd try to connect and it wouldn't work. I was actually the one with the more severe problem, but the solution was always for him to reboot his router (since at least he could temporarily recover). Very frustrating for him.

None of this would have bothered me much if it weren't for the fact that my 360 worked fine with that router for years. And not just acceptably well, PERFECT. It used to be that any time anyone had trouble joining a game or initiating chat, the solution was always to have me host. I was very proud of the fact that 360 stuff ALWAYS worked if I hosted. And in 5 years of running that PFSense firewall with my 360, it needed rebooted exactly ZERO times. Not just with respect to the 360 - the whole time I ran that box, it never once had ANY issues, until the XBone arrived.

Well, that went on longer than I'd intended, but this particular problem really irritates me.

I, for one, welcome our new IPv6 overlord.

by Monochron, Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 07:36 (3381 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread