Calling all Relic ninjas! I need help (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 07:26 (3381 days ago)

Hoping to get some advice here. We ran the VoG hard mode last night. I took the relic during the Templar battle. I'm not great with it, but I have a decent idea what I'm doing. But last night I had an unusually difficult time during the fight. I died 3 or 4 times in a row, and when we finally did get through it, I feel like I just barely scraped by.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to watch this video and explain what I'm doing wrong:

As you can see, there were several EXTREMELY close calls.

The only thing that occurred to me is that perhaps we were killing too many harpies as they emerged from their caves, therefore causing more to spawn, which we again killed too fast, causing more to spawn, etc.

I've heard some people say that it's best to let them go past until they end up near the front of the platform, at which point they'll just sit there, safely out of range. But they didn't seem to want to go past me and Vortech; they just stopped and attacked us.

Any suggestions?

Calling all Relic ninjas! I need help

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, February 14, 2015, 08:42 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Usually, when the Aegis dude is alone down there, my raiding group prefers to have him hide out as much as possible. This prevents a metric shitton of harpies from spawning and keeps the Relic safe.

Sure, it's a lot slower, since his Super will only charge as fast as his intellect lets it, but it's far safer. Other than that, I think you did great. Just got to run more often, instead of making a point of killing everything.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 09:36 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In general it looks pretty good, and you're doing a great job hitting the boss through some tight sight lines, but there are two key spots that look sketchy to me.

At 2:25, you have a full super bar and there is a group of harpies shooting at you. At this point, you try to melee attack them one at a time, take a ton of damage, use the relic barrier/cleanse for a long time, and then go and hide. Lots of time taken. If it were me, I'd have tried a jumping ground slam to hopefully kill them all in one shot, and then single melee'd them down with extreme bias towards ones that were in shooting mode rather than moving mode. Also, I never use the cleanse shield as a shield (which means, if all is going well, I never use it). As you can see in the video, it takes way too long for your health to recover, and you're better off just ducking behind a pillar. Last point: If your super is up, get a clear shot on the templar and blast him. You can easily move to the other side of the room, away from the harpies, to do this. That has the bonus benefit of putting all of those harpies back into move mode.

The other spot that vexed me (puns!) was at 5:00, when you used your super to kill a harpy instead of finding a clear shot to the boss. It was probably just a mistake (these things happen), but obviously you always want the most clear shot possible. After this wasted super, you then did it again immediately, but got lucky that the boss and harpy were close enough that the blast got the boss shield.

General:
- Use the jumping ground slam way more often against the harpies. AoE is better than single target any time there's a group of three or more.
- Great job helping with the oracles in the back.
- Don't spend so much time looking around for oracles (I'm assuming that's what you were doing) - tell your teammates to call out of there's one they can't get on their own, and don't help unless they ask for it or it's convenient.
- Your buddy with the bubble shield should use it early and often. Those orbs it spawns help speed your super meter, too, so there's only benefit. Don't save it for "oh crap" - use it for "We'll never have to worry." This is true for all supers - everyone who can spawn orbs near you should do it as soon as possible (in the video it looked like only the one guy was near you) to generate your super more quickly. It's fine for them to kill harpies with their supers if it means you'll get some orbs.
- Always use the super on the templar as soon as you can (the only time not to would be if oracles are about to spawn or are already up, or if the templar is about to teleport in the next 5 seconds.
- When killing harpies, kill shooting ones first. The moving ones often won't change to shoot mode while you do it. If you get low health, just hide behind a column or, if you're worried about snipers (seemed totally fine - great job by your teammates), run to the other side of the room temporarily.
- Having the other titan so close to your harpy farming zone may be causing them to transform into shoot mode more often than I'm used to seeing. Play with his positioning if you can. It seemed like he was mostly responsible for some oracles? I'm not sure, but the two strategies I like are a) everyone as far from the relic bearer as possible and b) everyone bunched up in a teeny tiny ball right on top of the relic bearer. There's also the cheesy sniper strategy where everyone just stays at the spawn area and covers relic man; that works, too, and I guess is a variant on strategy a. And of course there's super hard mode strat where everyone is assigned a different spot that the templar could teleport to, and tries to stand right there the whole time. But that's super hard.

by petetheduck, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 09:44 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You're in a bad spot. I tend to run relic for my clan and I stay in the little tunnel by the left rear oracle and destroy left rear oracle and sometimes left side if the Templar is blocking the snipers. Every other oracle is up to the snipers. Most harpies will pass by me and ignore me. Only real danger is when I step out to shoot the Templar, it might shoot me or if there are a lot of harpies around they'll be a danger.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 15:03 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I felt like we actually should have been killing harpies more not less.

I think part of our problem was not enough communication from the group upstairs about what oracles were spawning and when they needed help or didn't.

I think part of the problem is also that we got too split up. I probably should have stuck closer to you to help clear out oracles but I was worried about dying since I have so much less dps than a shield holder.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 19:25 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just watched the video. You did pretty well, but I'll just try to throw out some suggestions anyway.

-I think the main thing to remember is that you don't have to commit to any one side. If the right side is getting swarmed, just have you and your partner move left. You can still hit both hidden oracles- just be sure to be wary of the Templar when he teleports.

-Avoid using the relic shield. It drains your super while active, and hinders your mobility. Harpies can't chase moving targets very well, so it's better just to try and find some geometry to put between you and them. I recommend jumping into the middle area. Of the five locations the Templar can teleport, only one grants him a clear line of sight to you there.

Like I said though, that performance looked pretty solid.

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 21:53 (3381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think you did great. I'm horrible with the relic, so other than what has been mentioned, I have little to add. I'm usually playing the role that vortech did, so ill speak more to that.

Traditionally, my role has been "guy on the left" in my pre-DBO days. We would have the relic bearer start in the back middle, me in the back left just before the hidden room passage, everyone else on the right back and right middle, depending on where the Templar was. I actually used this position as well the first time I ran hard mode with DBO because I jumped down, not realizing the standard thing was to stay up top and snipe.

Having a person stand there helps as they can thin the harpy population, help with oracles that are generally hard to reach, and give a place where the relic bearer has less pressure from harpies, because they are split between that position and the right. They come in groups of threes, so on the right you'll usually only be dealing with a few at a time. The middle ones seem to alternate between going left and right.

In my experience, the relic bearer would alternate back and forth between the back left and right, charging their super, and hitting the back oracles as needed. If you're going for speed, kill everything, but mostly focus on The shooters, the others are less of an immediate threat. Especially the ones that end up n the middle and up front you can ignore.

Note that once the Templars health is down some, you will see the harpies start spawning faster. This is where it can get dicey there on the left, if the Templar is in line of sight and 2 groups come in at once both from the middle and the back left, with the Templar firing on that position. I have occasionally run out of primary ammo there and had to use a primary ammo synth, one of the few places I've done that more than the random bad luck with drops.

Not sure there's much new there, maybe something that can help though.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 08:07 (3378 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Any suggestions?

As others have said, that really wasn't a bad run. You did what you're supposed to do.

But because you asked, here are a few tips from the world's most "eh, he's ok" relic holder:

1. Jump slam in the detain bubble. 1 of these will do. Dashing outside and dying because of it sucks.
2. Try not to charge harpies that are already set up and shooting at you (especially if there are several in a group.) Don't be afraid to high tail it out of there to a more calm area. If they're chasing you, they can't hurt you.
3. Always be aware of the Templar's location. He can bring the pain in a hurry. It's good to have somebody call out his location so that everyone is aware for their own benefit.

That's about all I've got.

- CC

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread