Is There Really No End To Harassment? (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 16, 2015, 18:21 (3363 days ago)

So, this morning I was playing a little Destiny to get some bounties cleared before I had to go to work, do a Daily--real quick stuff. I go to the Tower to drop 'em off, and out of nowhere, this asshole bombards me with spamming invites. Just as quickly, another person steaming shit-puddle in his party also spams me with invites. I guess he wanted me to join his group. Anyway, he continues doing this non-stop. So as quickly as I can, I select his gamertag, report him to Xbox/Microsoft for doing so and then block his profile so he can no longer send me messages or get matched up with me in MM. I also do the same for the other prick. I sigh in relief at the renewed quiet.

But I shit you not, a good 2 minutes later, both of them start up again, regardless of the fact that I just reported and blocked them both.

The invites just went right through like nothing had happened. Fighting this was moot,and I turned my console off since it was time for me to go to work anyway, but what if I was off? Like I'll be tomorrow?

Would I truly be victim to this kind of insistent spamming even through two separate block-walls?

Whom do I blame for this: Microsoft or Bungie?

The former should really have a better hold on managing profiles and messages, invites included. The latter should really have an "Invisible" mode implemented into this game--what's the point of appearing offline on your Xbox if your name shows up in your bright emblem colors anyway, where strangers, jerks and (sometimes) annoying friends can see you regardless?

In addition to that, what happened to Party Privacy? On my perma-loading pause screen in the 360 version, I can change my privacy to open, open to friends, invite only, or no one at all. Now, it seems on the one that there's no privacy to no body, anyone being able to join anyone's group, permission or not. Why isn't that in the Xbox One version, and what can I do to get rid of spamming assholes if this happens again?

Yeah, that's annoying

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Monday, February 16, 2015, 18:28 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Is There Really No End To Harassment?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, February 16, 2015, 18:53 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

This is why I have adopted the use of a "tower uniform." I've got a whole set of white gear I put on as I head to the tower so I can walk around as a level 20 and avoid the invite spam.

-Disciple

by petetheduck, Monday, February 16, 2015, 19:20 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

So, this morning I was playing a little Destiny to get some bounties cleared before I had to go to work, do a Daily--real quick stuff. I go to the Tower to drop 'em off, and out of nowhere, this asshole bombards me with spamming invites. Just as quickly, another person steaming shit-puddle in his party also spams me with invites. I guess he wanted me to join his group. Anyway, he continues doing this non-stop. So as quickly as I can, I select his gamertag, report him to Xbox/Microsoft for doing so and then block his profile so he can no longer send me messages or get matched up with me in MM. I also do the same for the other prick. I sigh in relief at the renewed quiet.

But I shit you not, a good 2 minutes later, both of them start up again, regardless of the fact that I just reported and blocked them both.

The invites just went right through like nothing had happened. Fighting this was moot,and I turned my console off since it was time for me to go to work anyway, but what if I was off? Like I'll be tomorrow?

Would I truly be victim to this kind of insistent spamming even through two separate block-walls?

The former should really have a better hold on managing profiles and messages, invites included. The latter should really have an "Invisible" mode implemented into this game--what's the point of appearing offline on your Xbox if your name shows up in your bright emblem colors anyway, where strangers, jerks and (sometimes) annoying friends can see you regardless?

In addition to that, what happened to Party Privacy? On my perma-loading pause screen in the 360 version, I can change my privacy to open, open to friends, invite only, or no one at all. Now, it seems on the one that there's no privacy to no body, anyone being able to join anyone's group, permission or not. Why isn't that in the Xbox One version, and what can I do to get rid of spamming assholes if this happens again?

It's a side effect of Xbox One's garbage party system. I believe to block joins you have to block the Xbox party or some nonsense like that.

I've never run into this problem...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 16, 2015, 21:31 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

Have you tried to message them "No thanks"?

Politely declining works wonders, friend.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 16, 2015, 21:40 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

I hate it when Korny's right... but Korny's right here. I've been spammed when joining the tower (it's not nearly as bad as you make it sounds, unless you got 40 messages in 3 minutes, but I understand the annoyance anyway), and a simple "sorry, getting off after this" has made them stop - cold.

I'm really curious why your immediate reaction is to go postal...?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 16, 2015, 22:23 (3363 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You must be new here.

*Bows Again*

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 16, 2015, 22:26 (3363 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 16, 2015, 22:25 (3363 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I hate it when Korny's right... but Korny's right here. I've been spammed when joining the tower (it's not nearly as bad as you make it sounds, unless you got 40 messages in 3 minutes, but I understand the annoyance anyway), and a simple "sorry, getting off after this" has made them stop - cold.

I actually did, since it was from two people at once. But that's just one of those things that's immediately infuriating. It's like you relax at home, then get so many telemarketing calls that the phone's on like, a perma-ring. You unplug the phone line, and it's still ringing. Almost like out of a horror movie.

Yeah, postal is a bit much, but what's the first thought you have when something like that invading you? Some jackass acting like that is not even worth your time. I wasn't going to humor him with a declining message. I knew if I did, it would be an absolute shutdown--and who's to say he won't continue doing it for spite? Yes, this is only the first instance of something of this caliber happening to me, but when blocking doesn't work, that's frustrating and a little worrisome at once.

Personally, I had been thinking about the "Party Privacy" disappearance ever since I first started the Xbox One version in January, and the gamertag list thing since October. This event has just reminded me of those inconveniences.

Something to consider

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 16, 2015, 22:40 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

Occasionally on XBone I've had an issue where notifications get jammed up - people are sending me invites, or messages, or achievements are popping, etc., but I don't see the notifications. Then, some time later (might be seconds minutes, whatever) all those stuck notifications come through. It's possible (I'd say even likely) that these players' supposed ability to invite you despite a block was actually just delayed notifications.

Also, I think this sort of thing (where randos send you repeated invites after seeing you in the tower) tends to happen a lot on XBone because players don't understand the XBone's way of adding friends, and it's not entirely their fault. Most players are used to the old 360 system, where there was a clear "request sent" indicator while waiting for a response, and people didn't appear in your friends list until they'd accepted. The problem with transitioning to XBone right now is that if I select someone and say "add friend," from my point of view they immediately appear in my friends list. I can see if they're online and send them invites, and unless I actually view their profile and then hit "change friendship" there's not much indication for me that they have NOT added me back. This state of things is actually called following, and like following someone on Twitter, they don't necessarily have to follow back. There is a small indicator when someone adds you back (at which point you are actually "friends"), but I think a significant number of players don't yet understand that. So, they add you, see you in their list, and believe that you've accepted their friend request. So naturally, they invite you, and send a few more invites when you don't show up (thinking that you must not have seen, or joining didn't work) - again, it hasn't occurred to them that you're not into it, because they believe you accepted their friend request.

Speaking of not understanding XBone systems, fireteam privacy does exist, however because of some bad decisions MS made on the party system, you have to be in an XBL party to do it. Start an XBL party (even if you're the only one in it), and set THAT to invite only. Job done. Not your fault for not picking up on that, BTW - it's an idiotic system (but not Bungie's doing).

Side note: When Destiny launched, the XBone version did not have the "invite to fireteam" option when selecting another player in your roster. This was, no doubt, also a result of Microsoft's ridiculous party system. Thankfully, for whatever reason Bungie was able to add that in later.

Something to consider

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 09:58 (3363 days ago) @ stabbim

Occasionally on XBone I've had an issue where notifications get jammed up - people are sending me invites, or messages, or achievements are popping, etc., but I don't see the notifications. Then, some time later (might be seconds minutes, whatever) all those stuck notifications come through. It's possible (I'd say even likely) that these players' supposed ability to invite you despite a block was actually just delayed notifications.

Also, I think this sort of thing (where randos send you repeated invites after seeing you in the tower) tends to happen a lot on XBone because players don't understand the XBone's way of adding friends, and it's not entirely their fault. Most players are used to the old 360 system, where there was a clear "request sent" indicator while waiting for a response, and people didn't appear in your friends list until they'd accepted. The problem with transitioning to XBone right now is that if I select someone and say "add friend," from my point of view they immediately appear in my friends list. I can see if they're online and send them invites, and unless I actually view their profile and then hit "change friendship" there's not much indication for me that they have NOT added me back. This state of things is actually called following, and like following someone on Twitter, they don't necessarily have to follow back. There is a small indicator when someone adds you back (at which point you are actually "friends"), but I think a significant number of players don't yet understand that. So, they add you, see you in their list, and believe that you've accepted their friend request. So naturally, they invite you, and send a few more invites when you don't show up (thinking that you must not have seen, or joining didn't work) - again, it hasn't occurred to them that you're not into it, because they believe you accepted their friend request.

I'm really hoping it's that, and this was just some error that went to my head. Because if people can still invite you through blocks, that's a real problem.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 04:56 (3363 days ago) @ Morpheus

I understand it feels good to vent, we all need to do it at some point! As some has said, part of the problem stems from the xbone party system, but it could be a notification issue.

Who is really to blame? How about the players that are spamming you? They are the ones who are abusing the system and harassing you.

I think this is a great example of how a social games like Destiny and Microsft's invite/party systems just aren't perfected yet. It's still early in this current generation of hardware and software. They'll get it fixed.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread