A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Killing Omnigul (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 13:27 (3360 days ago)

So we're at the last stage. Bluerunner, Red Robber, and myself. We're on our second runthrough (got smoked by a lucky sword bearing Knight jerk) and we're doing ok.

Running as Defender, I've been running that bubble thang all game like you do. It's great for blocking fire at that point of the strike. So I go to toss it up, brain is committed, this is happening.

Then Bluerunner sidesteps in front of me. Rocking out with the rocket launcher out. I press the A button. The animation begins. I clench.

The rocket is just ahead of the expanding Dawn shield. Pretty sure it left a blast mark. Red Robber and I exclaim loudly, and laugh. Bluerunner is confuzzled, and then turns around to realize what just almost happened.

LOVE YOU BUDDY <3

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Killing Omnigul

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 14:12 (3360 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Heh. Reminds me of a Crota battle. I cast a bubble and Claude, I think, instantly dies from his own rocket. :p

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 14:35 (3360 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh. Reminds me of a Crota battle. I cast a bubble and Claude, I think, instantly dies from his own rocket. :p

Happens to me more often than I'd like. :(

(It's particularly awful in Crucible - in PvE, especially something like a raid, where tasks are delineated and people have positions, it's really the RL user's fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or for not jumping high enough or whatever. In Crucible, though, after heavies spawn, and the whole team picks them up... dropping a bubble in the plaza outside B on Shores of Time as someone walks into view in the tunnel is just plain MEAN. You KNOW that guy behind you is gonna fire a rocket at him... you KNOW it.)

Bubble placement

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 15:30 (3360 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm so used to playing by myself that I don't usually think about it when I drop mine. Its usually a reactionary move, rarely a planned one. But when you play with others, its really important to announce your popping bubs. I've killed Bluerunner doing this, but he killed me with a shoulder charge somehow so we're even.

The key is placement. Unless you are blocking a doorway on purpose, it usually best to drop that thang back so you can pop in and out to the doorway. Or in the first encounter on the Omnigal strike, in that hallway on the steps so you can strafe in and out. I rarely play PvP with my defender but when I do, I have a tough time making the bubble effective for me. I always seem to place it poorly or at the wrong time.

:)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 18:00 (3360 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

BOrg: Failing Bubble Shields since 2007

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 19, 2015, 18:22 (3360 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 19:46 (3360 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wish I had recorded that. It felt like it was in slow motion as I watched that rocket being chased by the shield.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:56 (3360 days ago) @ bluerunner

Did every story you've ever tell flash before your eyes? ;)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread