Iron Banner lag abuse is killing my soul. (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 20:02 (3376 days ago)

- No text -

Iron Banner lag abuse is killing my soul.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 20:53 (3376 days ago) @ iconicbanana

After going to bed the last two nights with IB Lag Rage (it's a real disease) I decided to take the night off. I feel your pain.

Mostly I feel bad for Prof. Chaos.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 21:51 (3376 days ago) @ unoudid

Who had a 2.0 k/d across all the losses (and they were alllll losses), and didn't want to be there to begin with.

He never asked for this.

Every time I died to one of the laggers...

by ChaosSociety, Oregon, Thursday, February 19, 2015, 23:52 (3375 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

*lol* n/t

by Penthesilean, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:22 (3375 days ago) @ ChaosSociety

- No text -

Every time I died to one of the laggers...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:57 (3375 days ago) @ ChaosSociety

Elephant and Swaggy P, dude. Elephant and Swaggy P.

But what about those 300,000,000 Cloud Servers?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 20, 2015, 00:12 (3375 days ago) @ iconicbanana

We're a bit stumped by "lag abuse"... What are people doing?

I don't know, but...

by Kahzgul, Friday, February 20, 2015, 02:18 (3375 days ago) @ Korny

I encountered one guy who always had heavy ammo. We'd kill him and he would literally respawn, switch to his heavy, and blast me in the face.

Also, I killed a guy at least once in a match (and others in my party claim to have as well) and he got a mark of the unbroken. But I saw him die! The feed showed I killed him! Somehow the final results didn't care.

My personal guess is that someone has cracked the game and released a cheat out into the wild.

--

After getting my ass handed to me for about 10 games, we went on a similar tear, this time in the win column. One game I had a 16.0 K/D ratio. On my level 28 Titan. So there was certainly something wonky going on in matchmaking as well. I don't mind winning, but I'm pretty sure the losers in those matches (20k to 4k, seriously) are as upset with the matchmaking algorithms as I am in general.

--

Also, there's the standard lagging guys who teleport around, shoot you around corners, don't take damage when you shoot them etc.

I always worry about that

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:34 (3375 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I don't mind winning, but I'm pretty sure the losers in those matches (20k to 4k, seriously) are as upset with the matchmaking algorithms as I am in general.

My team generally only loses when we face either another coordinated team, or a group of laggers. I always worry that in those other ganes, the ones where we have complete map control and dominate the other team, that to them we're the laggy team of pseudo-cheats.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, February 20, 2015, 04:37 (3375 days ago) @ Korny

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, February 20, 2015, 06:35 (3375 days ago) @ bluerunner

was just thinking of posting that. strange indeed.

That looks just like some "lag" I was seeing last night

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 20, 2015, 10:02 (3375 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

lol @ their banner...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 20, 2015, 10:30 (3375 days ago) @ bluerunner

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:17 (3375 days ago) @ Korny

If it's intentional, it's probably a lag switch. But, there's always the chance that the Destiny netcode is just bad and people aren't doing this intentionally. Who knows

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:42 (3375 days ago) @ JDQuackers

If it's intentional, it's probably a lag switch. But, there's always the chance that the Destiny netcode is just bad and people aren't doing this intentionally. Who knows

I prefer to think it isn't usually intentional.

Most of my concerns come down to how Bungie has chosen to handle latency in general. I personally feel that matchmaking should be using latency as its first priority in selecting players. But maybe that isn't necessarily feasible, or isn't the priority they've chosen.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:10 (3375 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Most of my concerns come down to how Bungie has chosen to handle latency in general. I personally feel that matchmaking should be using latency as its first priority in selecting players. But maybe that isn't necessarily feasible, or isn't the priority they've chosen.

What do you mean by "selecting players" ? Matchmaking or like selecting host? Speaking of host... does Destiny ever perform host migrations? I remember in Halo when the host migration happened, the game would pause and go back to a team screen while respawning everyone into the "new match" ... does Destiny handle this seamlessly in the background? I guess I've never really noticed "down time". Maybe those times when you're dead and the countdown has expired, but you don't respawn no matter how many times you mash X are actually the middle of a host migration.

I don't know, but I guess I'd like to learn more about all of this stuff. What kind of criteria the game uses for matching players, choosing host, and whether the host migrates mid-match based on connection speeds or only if the host drops out. I imagine lag switches could wreak havoc if host doesn't migrate based on connection if you already have host advantage and then start injecting lag.

:o

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:16 (3375 days ago) @ JDQuackers

What do you mean by "selecting players" ? Matchmaking or like selecting host? Speaking of host... does Destiny ever perform host migrations? I remember in Halo when the host migration happened, the game would pause and go back to a team screen while respawning everyone into the "new match" ... does Destiny handle this seamlessly in the background? I guess I've never really noticed "down time". Maybe those times when you're dead and the countdown has expired, but you don't respawn no matter how many times you mash X are actually the middle of a host migration.

Not to change the subject...but this could explain that respawn glitch. Maybe it's not a glitch after all.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:27 (3375 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Destiny does do mid-match host migrations, but it is much more seamless then Halo ever was. This is how the infamous "Get Crota stuck taking a knee" glitch was performed. While the migration was happening, the game locally simulates some aspects of the game, and freezes others, until migration is complete. At least, that was my experience.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread