Xur is a freaking sellout (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Friday, February 20, 2015, 06:46 (3376 days ago)

History of Xur since DLC came out:

No Land Beyond - Nexus
Dragon's Breath - The Will of Corta
The Last Word - Valus Ta'aurc
Ice Breaker - Devil's Lair
No Land Beyond - Summoning Pits
Dragon's Breath - The Will of Crota
Plan C - Archon Priest
Ice Breaker - Nexus
No Land Beyond - The Will of Crota

The pattern suggests that every time the Weekly/Nightfall is DLC, Xur will sell a DLC weapon. There are only 2 DLC weapons that Xur can sell: No Land Beyond or Dragon's Breath.

So we have DLC-free Xur weeks where the pool is all exotics (including DLC exotics), and DLC Xur weeks where the pool is only DLC exotics. Bad Bungie. Bad, bad Bungie.

Xur is a freaking sellout

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 20, 2015, 07:42 (3376 days ago) @ petetheduck

That is a really good catch. If this is true, it needs to be fixed. I have gotten 2-3 of each of these, and I bet most who have the DLC already have them as well, because they seem to drop much more frequently.

Patch this or change your decision if this was conscious Bungie, cause it makes no sense.

Wellllll

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, February 20, 2015, 08:12 (3376 days ago) @ petetheduck

This way, certain weeks are just a bye for non-DLC havers, as they can't earn nor spend Coins in bulk if everything's DLC.

If Xur sold, say, Gjallarhorn, the one time the Weekly was walled off, that'd end poorly.

Wellllll

by petetheduck, Friday, February 20, 2015, 08:38 (3376 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

This way, certain weeks are just a bye for non-DLC havers, as they can't earn nor spend Coins in bulk if everything's DLC.

If Xur sold, say, Gjallarhorn, the one time the Weekly was walled off, that'd end poorly.

That's like making a bad decision to fix another bad decision.

Perhaps Xur is not our potential Gjallarhorn delivery system, but he seems to be becoming more and more something only relevant to new players or new DLC purchasers.

It's too bad that Bungie didn't just create a guaranteed new DLC Exotic Bounty for DLC purchasers to get the items they paid for in their hands and leave Xur alone.

Wellllll

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, February 20, 2015, 08:52 (3376 days ago) @ petetheduck

I would have rather had it so that if the Weekly was a DLC Strike, there's a second option for the Heroic that anyone can take (you would only be able to earn rewards per each tier once, whichever Strike you used to beat that tier, so still nine Coins available total); then you don't have to make the gear DLC on DLC Strike weeks.

No alternative offer on the Nightfall, it would work as it does now, so that there's never an "easy" choice for it.

Tah-dah?

This thread's post titles.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 20, 2015, 08:54 (3376 days ago) @ RaichuKFM
edited by iconicbanana, Friday, February 20, 2015, 08:59

[image]

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:30 (3376 days ago) @ petetheduck

I would be interested to see the raw numbers of how much the adoption rate of the DLC goes up each time it's a "DLC week". I bet it's not trivial.

Also, (and I'm not directing this toward anyone here) I don't have a ton of empathy for people that get really upset when they can't do the Nightfall this week because they aren't willing to spend a few extra bucks on the content. If you are still playing the game this much and enjoying it, why not pay for the content? And if you don't want to (or can't) pay for the extra content for any reason, it's not like this policy is reducing the amount of strikes that you could have done this week anyway -- it only means that for those two strikes you aren't going to get a dip in the loot pool.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:33 (3376 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I would be interested to see the raw numbers of how much the adoption rate of the DLC goes up each time it's a "DLC week". I bet it's not trivial.

Also, (and I'm not directing this toward anyone here) I don't have a ton of empathy for people that get really upset when they can't do the Nightfall this week because they aren't willing to spend a few extra bucks on the content. If you are still playing the game this much and enjoying it, why not pay for the content? And if you don't want to (or can't) pay for the extra content for any reason, it's not like this policy is reducing the amount of strikes that you could have done this week anyway -- it only means that for those two strikes you aren't going to get a dip in the loot pool.

I do wonder what the DLC adoption rate is... I feel like if it was better, they wouldn't be pushing the strikes/daily-stories/exotics as much as they are. As someone with the DLC, I am getting very tired of replaying it's mediocre content. :(

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:50 (3376 days ago) @ CyberKN

I do wonder what the DLC adoption rate is... I feel like if it was better, they wouldn't be pushing the strikes/daily-stories/exotics as much as they are. As someone with the DLC, I am getting very tired of replaying it's mediocre content. :(

More of a damned if you do\damned if you don't thing I bet.

As you say ^^

and then the other side of the coin, if it were less frequent, there would be people mad that it comes up infrequently.

I think a fair monthly schedule for nightfall and weeklys would be this:

Week 1 : plain game
Week 2 : dlc 1
Week 3 : plain game
Week 4 : dlc 2

What I'd REALLY like to see, is a DIFFERENT nightfall and Heroic strike each week, instead of them being the same mission. THAT would help a lot, but with DLC, makes things complicated so....ahhh fuck it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 20, 2015, 15:11 (3376 days ago) @ Revenant1988

What I'd REALLY like to see, is a DIFFERENT nightfall and Heroic strike each week, instead of them being the same mission. THAT would help a lot, but with DLC, makes things complicated so....ahhh fuck it.

I would love that too. Running the Omnigal strike 6 times this week is a bit of a drag.

by Monochron, Friday, February 20, 2015, 12:43 (3376 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Do you really think walling off parts of the game motivates people to buy the DLC? When it got walled off for me I just stopped playing. If the only activities that I routinely enjoy are removed for me, I don't have fun in the game.

I think this argument was done to death when the DLC came out, but the general sentiment was that a huge amount of the End-Game was shut off for people who didn't pay up. You can't just play the super hard strike on your own, you need to select the Nightfall option because there is little customization in Destiny. And frankly some people enjoy the path to a reward and getting that reward far more than playing the strike alone. You might not feel that way, but many people do. Thus they are upset.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:25 (3376 days ago) @ Monochron

Do you really think walling off parts of the game motivates people to buy the DLC? When it got walled off for me I just stopped playing. If the only activities that I routinely enjoy are removed for me, I don't have fun in the game.

I guess it depends on your definition of "walling off parts of the game". To me, the Will of Crota strike is the "part of the game" that is being "walled off" - and rightly so since it is extra content that took time and other development costs after the game's release. To me the "Nightfall" is not "content" - but rather just an activity set up to give you an incentive to replay that content.

Regardless of whether your definition of "walling off parts of the game" is similar to mine or not though, the answer to your question is yes, absolutely it will motivate people to buy the DLC. Obviously people that really want to run Nightfall versions of the strikes each week are going to be more likely to invest a little bit of money into having that ability. I understand that for some people, like yourself, it motivated you to stop playing, but that's definitely not everybody. In reality, they were probably not going to get your extra $15/$20 anyway if something that small was enough to get you to stop playing.

I think this argument was done to death when the DLC came out, but the general sentiment was that a huge amount of the End-Game was shut off for people who didn't pay up. You can't just play the super hard strike on your own, you need to select the Nightfall option because there is little customization in Destiny. And frankly some people enjoy the path to a reward and getting that reward far more than playing the strike alone. You might not feel that way, but many people do. Thus they are upset.

I don't dispute there are some/many upset people, nor do I fail to understand why they are upset. I'm just saying it's hard for me to have a lot of empathy for them. If you are still playing this game 5 months later, especially to the point where the extra end-game activities are that important to you, you shouldn't feel entitled to have the same amount of icing on your cake as the people who are willing to pay for it.

But your information proves otherwise

by Kahzgul, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:48 (3376 days ago) @ petetheduck

Because Xur is selling NLB during the Nexus Nightfall the very first week.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:50 (3376 days ago) @ Kahzgul

also during the summoning pits

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, February 20, 2015, 09:55 (3376 days ago) @ Kahzgul

No that works with what he's saying. Read his last paragraph again:

So we have DLC-free Xur weeks where the pool is all exotics (including DLC exotics), and DLC >Xur weeks where the pool is only DLC exotics. Bad Bungie. Bad, bad Bungie.

by Kahzgul, Friday, February 20, 2015, 16:33 (3376 days ago) @ Leviathan

So we have DLC-free Xur weeks where the pool is all exotics (including DLC exotics), and DLC >Xur weeks where the pool is only DLC exotics. Bad Bungie. Bad, bad Bungie.

Ahh, my bad. Even still, 4 weeks of DLC Nightfall + DLC Xur is an awfully small sample size.

by petetheduck, Friday, February 20, 2015, 17:18 (3376 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Ahh, my bad. Even still, 4 weeks of DLC Nightfall + DLC Xur is an awfully small sample size.

It is--it was also pointed out on Reddit that there is another pattern:

No Land Beyond
Dragon's Breath
Non-DLC
Non-DLC
No Land Beyond
Dragon's Breath
Non-DLC
Non-DLC
No Land Beyond

Meaning next week Xur will have the Dragon's Breath.

Either way, Xur is not really random.

Looks like a guy on the subreddit called Xur's stock.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:36 (3376 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by iconicbanana, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:46

Link is here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2wjbqy/media_umegamanexe4s_prediction_about_xurs_stock/

*Edit: Mmm. This is the same guy who datamined the Xur code and "determined" that Gjallahorn wasn't on Xur's drop list.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, February 20, 2015, 15:39 (3376 days ago) @ iconicbanana

It's also super easy to post a bunch of images and end up only linking the correct one/deleting wrong ones

by Hoovaloov, Friday, February 20, 2015, 15:49 (3376 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The guy correctly predicted ALL the items Xur is selling and upgrading this week. The amount of possible combinations for weapons, armor, upgrades, engrams, telemetries, sparrow upgrades, and synths has got to be in the millions (if not billions). There's no way he created that many images in Photoshop, uploaded them all, and then linked to the correct one once he saw what Xur is selling.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 20, 2015, 19:40 (3376 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

The guy correctly predicted ALL the items Xur is selling and upgrading this week. The amount of possible combinations for weapons, armor, upgrades, engrams, telemetries, sparrow upgrades, and synths has got to be in the millions (if not billions). There's no way he created that many images in Photoshop, uploaded them all, and then linked to the correct one once he saw what Xur is selling.

Not entirely. My Xur's Goodies writeup has a template from one of the weeks that he offers PS4 exclusives, and I've noticed that certain patterns do exist. I think it was the week before last that the upgradeable weapons were identical save for Ice Breaker where Thunderlord had been. Also, there seems to be a predefined "set" of DLC gear that has a chance to appear, and a correlation has been made with the weeks that we get Omnigul...

The outlier was this week, where a few weapons were repeats, but the available gear is a mix of DLC and Base gear, with Voidfang being a notable change.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, February 21, 2015, 17:30 (3375 days ago) @ petetheduck

On top of that, I feel like The Siege of Rasputin is the Daily almost every other day! It's getting to the point where I barely even complete the Daily unless it's a 30 second mission. I haven't seen The Archive or Eye of a Gate Lord or something different other than Earth, Moon and Rasputin for weeks!

I don't know, maybe they should mix it up with a random burn every now and then, or more modifiers for more Ascendancy.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread